Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909688 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Didn't know where else to post but I found out that Enuff'Z'Nuff are still a band and have a new album out :lol

I thought bands like that all died a horrible death when the clock struck 1990

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
I think they've been going somewhat consistently since forming, no breakups or hiatuses that I've heard of. Pretty unusual for bands from that era. I consider their debut one of the better glam metal albums.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lowdz

Just started the podcast -
not heard the Meanstreak in a long time. Love the singer.
The Adrian Dodz is very good It just sounded dated even at the time. Reminds me of the first Bon Jovi album but better songs, and singer.
Testament were great til the singer kicked in.
Steeler  :metal
Jason Becker   :hefdaddy :hefdaddy and you're wrong. It's all classic! Altitudes is just awesome though.

Offline Lowdz

I like some female fronted hard rock and that Smashed Gladys album is pretty good.
Classic Virgin Steele. If only VS had ManOwaR's later production budget and their singer... though The Lion sounds ok on this. You're right about that video.
Tyrant I've only heard in more recent years thanks to YouTube. I'd heard of them, but not heard them back in the day.
Open Up is a great album. I played the shit out of it at the time too. Still play it a lot.

No arguments with anything posted so far Brent.

First band I don't know - Ruff or is it Rough? Enjoyed it. I'm not a big Doro fan so the voice was a bit take it or leave it, but it grew on me.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:18:25 PM by Lowdz »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Adrian Dodz is very good It just sounded dated even at the time.
I've never  heard Meanstreak before. It was excellent. Loved the instrumental part. Impressive.

Was Adrian Dodz the second track played? If it was, I didn't like it. :)

I thought the Joshua tune was awesome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

The Adrian Dodz is very good It just sounded dated even at the time.
I've never  heard Meanstreak before. It was excellent. Loved the instrumental part. Impressive.

Was Adrian Dodz the second track played? If it was, I didn't like it. :)

I thought the Joshua tune was awesome.
Do you mean the Prophet track? Or did I miss one?

Forgot how good that Witness album is. Another great female singer. I've only got this on an old cassette someone did for me years ago.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think both bands were played. I thought he played a band called Joshua. Brent was saying the production stunk, but it sounded great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

I think both bands were played. I thought he played a band called Joshua. Brent was saying the production stunk, but it sounded great.

That will be Joshua then, intense defence. I think He's right.

Keepers part 2 is better than part 1. The drums kill part 1 for me. They're not great on part 2 but at least they don't wind me up quite as much.

Offline Lowdz

SSoaSS disappointed me at the time but has grown on me. The concept side of it is shit and the whole thing paled in comparison to mindcrime.

Good call on Paul Sabu...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:51:02 PM by Lowdz »

Offline Lowdz

Second band I don't know, Tattoo. Fairly standard stuff. Liked it more as it went on.

I'd stopped listening to AC/DC before 88. That song was ok though.
The singer killed Angeldust for me. Time hasn't changed that...

Vinnie Vincent  :metal but it's the first album all the way for me. Mark Slaughter is like nails on a blackboard. This album didn't have enough great songs. Was that a single edit?

Digital Dictator  :hefdaddy I love the way you Aussies call something ordinary when you mean shite  :biggrin: Shane Warne's cricket commentary uses it loads.

Ram It Down has grown on me. Didn't like it at the time, probably because of Johnny B Goode  :tdwn. BRS is a great song.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:15:24 PM by Lowdz »

Offline Lowdz

Just about to go into a tirade at you dissing Magnum but then realised I agree with you. Those two albums are great stuff. The rest is patchy to "ordinary"  :lol

Good to see Jeff Healey get some love. Was n the front row at Manchester Apollo for this tour. I thought I was going to have to catch him when he jumped up and started walking around. He was a big lad too!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:32:41 PM by Lowdz »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not sure what Judas Priest was thinking when they recorded Johnny B Goode.  While it's an ok song, it's completely out of place in their discography.  It was on a soundtrack for a movie with Anthony Michael Hall, so I'm assuming they saw just a mainstream opportunity.  It's definitely skip button worthy.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

It sounded much better on the podcast as I spent a bit of time EQ'ing it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

How as the QR show last night mate?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

It sounded much better on the podcast as I spent a bit of time EQ'ing it.

Right. I liked that track. You did a great job with it because I thought it sounded great.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
How as the QR show last night mate?

THE BAD

- not a great venue ...shitty little stage and a vertical roof support beam right in front of the left side of the stage
- $25 for parking and $11 for a small glass of bourbon and Coke  :omg:
- the band only played for 70 mins
- Teramaze pulled out last minute and were replaced with a far inferior band  >:(

- the VIP session.   It wasn't awful but we were told to be in there at 6.45pm for a 7pm start , so an hour before doors opened.  Queensryche normally do nice,small and personal VIP sessions but there was 30 people and they waltzed in well after 7.30pm , didn't look rapt to be there and we were told to get on our bike and rush everything as doors open 8pm.   I'm not pushy enough .........if I had been a real prick I no doubt could've muscled my way in (they're all midgets  ;D) and got what I wanted.....which was a voice over for you guys for the podcast giving you all a shout out , but it didn't happen.  :'(

the GOOD

- once they hit the stage they were very gracious and thankful to the fans , which was a bit weird after the dull VIP session
- good setlist for the time they played   https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queensryche/2016/prince-bandroom-melbourne-australia-53fd73ed.html
- the sound was good.   The support acts were way too loud.  I have been quite sick lately and am puffy around the gills (inflamed lymph glands) which was feeding into ear pain , but thankfully QR had much better sound.   They were loud but pretty clear and not ear plug-worthy.

- the band were much happier and more energetic on stage than last I saw them (OM 2 tour)

- Todd was fucking amazing.  Youtube vids don't do him justice.   I thought he may struggle but he nailed every note and his performance on Take Hold of The Flame was something to behold.   A couple of times his high screams hurt the ears - the only other guy who has done that to me is Ripper Owens .

Will upload some pics and vids later if I can (not as good as I had hoped from an iPhone 5S , but then again the lighting was awful)

On the whole it was a great night and really an old style club gig without any trimmings.  Great night out with my little sis' and we even did the traditional McDonalds stop on the way home at 1am :metal  Could've been better but I would definitely recommend seeing them if you can.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:32:34 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

QR only played for 70 mins?
Geez that is pretty disappointing and really not acceptable for a veteran band with 15 or so studio albums.
Symphony X gave us just on 120 min set on Wednesday.

The Sydney venue is a bar at the University of Sydney, I've been their before and is pretty decent.

I'm still undecided if I am going or not.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Glad you had a great time Brent!!

70 min is a very short set for a head liner though

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
2/3 of the way through the show so far.

really enjoyed that King Kobra.  I only have their first album so maybe the rest of their stuff is worth checking out.

That Adrian Dodz album is decent.  I didn't rate that song quite as high as some others on the album.

Testament!!!

That Virgin Steele track was great!

I've listened to the Prophet and Only Child albums in full recently.  Good stuff.

There are a few really good tracks on that Angel Dust album.

I really like Jeff Healey.  Angel Eyes is a classic.

That Jimmy Barnes song was on The Lost Boys soundtrack!  It plays in the movie during the carnival scene.  I've only seen the movie eleventy billion times.

What song were you going to play from Chicago 19??
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

What song were you going to play from Chicago 19??

I probably would've gone with Heart In Pieces - about as rockin' as it gets.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Didn't know where else to post but I found out that Enuff'Z'Nuff are still a band and have a new album out :lol

I thought bands like that all died a horrible death when the clock struck 1990

Then you thought horribly painfully wrong. ;)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
here's some photos/footage for you.    I think going to a gig and filming/watching the whole thing on your phone (as the guy next to me was doing) is fucking nuts , so I just have some short grabs of key moments/key songs.

Thankfully I had a good spot - the only part that was a bit elevated with a little bench to lean on and hold my drinks , so the view is better than if I had been lower down.  If you click on the YT links make sure it is set for HD playback in Settings.     

Queen Of The Reich: https://youtu.be/qHJB2JlU_sE
Killing Words:  https://youtu.be/M0mU6evN4Bs
Eyes Of A Stranger :  https://youtu.be/F-wXdTi8VoU

As I said above - the Youtube vids through a phone mic don't do Todd justice.

I managed to get Ben a spare VIP pass and a signed photo, so he's happy with me.

and a photo of me with the band....... the lighting was washing everyone out and just my shitty phone camera..   I've darkened it up a bit with a bit of success but still not a great photo

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:14:28 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Which one are you?

:neverusethis:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I was spewing that I didn't bring my sunnies  :lol

I'm the one who is happy to be there :neverusethis:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I was spewing that I didn't bring my sunnies  :lol

:)
70 mins is shit. No excuse other than laziness... not short of material are they  >:(

Glad you had a good time though.
Enjoying the podcast.
You're a giant among dwarves there Brent  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

Loved the BOC track. Never heard that before.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Did you get to chat with the band much Brent?

That venue looks tiny, looks like a small basement bar.  I can't see the band benefited that much financially by flying out just to play a small club.  But I guess they still made some cash

Offline Lowdz

:biggrin: Ben the metal Head! 0 out of 10 for dare was brutal!

Lol at the face melting Yngwie solo  :lol
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 04:31:32 PM by Lowdz »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
:biggrin: Ben the metal Head! 0 out of 10 for dare was brutal!

Lol at the face melting Yngwie solo  :lol

Ben unleashed the fucking fury on Dare  ;D

Did you get to chat with the band much Brent?

That venue looks tiny, looks like a small basement bar.  I can't see the band benefited that much financially by flying out just to play a small club.  But I guess they still made some cash

Nah........the band rocked up late and it was all rushed.  very disappointing in that regard.   

There would've been 600-700 people there at the gig.  When a band tours out here to those crowds it's mostly a paid holiday after the promoter does their thing and crew are paid.  They would've made a little bit ..........the money they made from those that paid for VIP tix may be cream straight to them.  All the more reason they should make an effort to be there on time and pretend they're enjoying it.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I'm not sure what Judas Priest was thinking when they recorded Johnny B Goode.  While it's an ok song, it's completely out of place in their discography.  It was on a soundtrack for a movie with Anthony Michael Hall, so I'm assuming they saw just a mainstream opportunity.  It's definitely skip button worthy.

While I agree, it's not like the rest of Ram It Down is that good either.  The title track and Blood Red Skies are both tremendous, and Monsters of Rock is kinda cool, but the rest is all pretty forgettable, IMO.

Offline Imaginos

While I agree, it's not like the rest of Ram It Down is that good either.  The title track and Blood Red Skies are both tremendous, and Monsters of Rock is kinda cool, but the rest is all pretty forgettable, IMO.

As cheesy as they may be, I've always liked Love Zone and Hard as Iron too.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Hard As Iron is an amazing track. One of the first songs I think of when the topic of under-appreciated/unplayed Priest songs comes up. Put that song on Painkiller and it'd be considered a classic Priest tune.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hard As Iron is one of the most underrated Priest tracks IMO, great stuff.

Just starting to have a listen to the podcast now, but will take me quite a few nights to get through it.

QR playing for 70 mins is bullshit too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Some solid stuff at the start of the podcast. 

King Kobra I've liked everything of what I've heard of the early stuff so I should check this album.

The Adrain Dodz was really solid.

Testament  :metal :metal :metal

The Lillian Axe has been recommended to me a few times of the last couple of years and I can see why, great track.

Altitudes.  :hefdaddy

The Tyrant was pretty good too.

Burning of Rome is fucking incredible!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.