Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909706 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
The Winger album is better than everything before it in that countdown. Correctly placed.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No wonder Australia is an island.  ;D

Nice - that makes it all worth it  :lol
Glad I didn't disappoint! :lol

And Wild Is the Wind is a fantastic song. I really like that album. They were a great live band in the 80's.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
No wonder Australia is an island.  ;D

So we could more easily keep your failed opinions from spreading here like a virus?  :police:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I heard that they were going to reclassify Australia as the Winger Quarantine Zone. :xbones

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I wish I could find the pic I had of TAC with the Winger logo as his avatar.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

This is better Cozmo........and it's almost Christmas so.......:metal

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Fucking glorious.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So Top 5...

******Spoiler alert********

Ozzy- I have never taken to this album. At all. I love NMT, but this album to me just never happened. So inferior.
Dare- Never gotten into them. Was aware of them at the time though.
Yngwie- Great album. I totally ignored it at the time. All I had to go on was Heaven Tonight and those horrible pictures.
-Great commentary by Ben_
Crimson Glory-Another band I didn't check out back then. I thought the whole mask thing was cheesey and I  never gave them a chance. Too bad. It's great stuff.
Dokken-I agree with what you said about this vs the studio albums. Totally agree.
Queensryche-No surprise.

Where is Justice??

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

You're all gonna die!  :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So in the early QR albums, what always struck me was how much FUN Scott Rockenfield's drum parts sounded.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

You're all gonna die!  :rollin

:tdwn for deleting the pic out of the quote  :biggrin:

So in the early QR albums, what always struck me was how much FUN Scott Rockenfield's drum parts sounded.

Agreed - very under rated drummer and am very keen to hear him live for the first time tonight.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just finished.

In all seriousness, awesome job Brent. Ages 12-14 are such an amazing age for music discovery. For me, that would be '81-'82. So many special albums, as there were for you in 1988. This really became less about an objective countdown than it became a bearing of the "music" soul. Thanks for taking us on along for the ride.
I mean, no one would ever rate Joe Perry's I've Got The Rock n Rolls Again as a great album, but I'd easily rate it over many other huger albums in 1981.

I had moved on from a lot of the type of stuff you were featuring, but as the music scene really exploded during the late 80's, it was quite difficult to keep up. There was no Google, Spotify, etc.. Many times the radio would never play these bands, and literally all you had to go on was a magazine picture of some sort. Singularly the reason that I never heard a note of Crimson Glory. It's the reason I totally passed on Odyssey.

I was lucky enough to do a Heavy Metal radio show in college, so I did have access to tons of albums. Heck, I even sampled WDADU during this time because I liked the name of the band. I turned 20 in 1988, and even hearing things like Warrant, who I was not into, really transports me back to that time. So thank you for that. BTW, saw Warrant twice and they kicked total ass!

As much as I know know a lot of the Rest of '88 won't be great music-wise, it's a podcast that I wouldn't miss for the world. It's a chance to relive some youth.

So thank you Brent for all of your work in this. You will likely not understand how much it is so truly appreciated

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Not like I don't already have enough things to listen to, but now I clearly need to listen to this.  Links?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Tim- appreciate the feedback.

I had one radio show out here on indie radio at 10pm - midnight on a Sunday night and that was my only radio source and he spent half the show playing death metal.  Apart from that and my own research you would barely need more than one hand to count the number of albums in my podcast that made radio out here.   There was no Cinderella, Winger, Tesla etc....on radio in Australia.   Just the hugest of the huge at the time for the most part (Jovi, Europe etc.. and the odd big single from a 2nd tier band like Cherry Pie).

So it was the same for me - mags and forming contacts with people through my band and otherwise.  When I was about 14 or 15 (being the researcher I am)  I managed to make the acquaintance of a bloke out here who wrote a rock/metal column in a gig guide - he managed local metal acts and was part owner of an obscure British label (Now and Then) .  He took me under his wing and used to send me mix tapes of obscure bands for me to get into - I was hugely grateful.   I also was in touch with the guy who would later form melodicrock.com - back then he ran a little "by mail" record store and he would often send me stuff to listen to - I would buy what I liked and send the rest back.  Again..........I was very grateful to him for that trust.  He has lost the plot lately but he was spot on back then  :lol

Not like I don't already have enough things to listen to, but now I clearly need to listen to this.  Links?

See down the bottom of the OP Coz

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Who's the band right after Kingdom Come? The music is awesome but the singer is killing me...it sounds like he has a reciprocating dildo plunging in his backside.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Who's the band right after Kingdom Come? The music is awesome but the singer is killing me...it sounds like he has a reciprocating dildo plunging in his backside.

That he would be a she  :rollin

Zed Yago.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Seriously? I'm rewinding now to listen again.

[edit]

Oh, right you are.

Who's the band right after Kingdom Come? The music is awesome but the singer is killing me...it sounds like she has a reciprocating dildo plunging in her vagina.

FTFM

[/edit]
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

It was such a fine line in 1988. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well Mark Free..............nevermind  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm not going there. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :facepalm:

:lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh dear...

Just hit number 20 and it's probably no surprise that I'm very pleased by inclusion of BÖC. Especially so high on the list!  :tup

Full song title "The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:28:04 AM by Podaar »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Told you I took no notice of the concept :lol   I would've needed to drag one of my iTunes columns across to reveal the last few words of the song title   :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I gotta take a break from listening for awhile to do some business. Which is probably good, I need to try and cleanse my brain from that Europe song.

In the words of TAC, I was traumatized by it's horribleness.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Great job with this Brent.  There are bands that I've never even heard of before, so thats a huge bonus.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, finished up and enjoyed it tremendously. Thank you very much, Sir. Oh, and little Ben too! I share his enthusiasm for metal.

My list may have come out a bit differently but Operation Mindcrime would have probably been in the exact same spot for that year.

:clap:  :tup :hefdaddy

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, finished up and enjoyed it tremendously. Thank you very much, Sir. Oh, and little Ben too! I share his enthusiasm for metal.

My list may have come out a bit differently but Operation Mindcrime would have probably been in the exact same spot for that year.

:clap:  :tup :hefdaddy
Great job with this Brent.  There are bands that I've never even heard of before, so thats a huge bonus.

Thanks guys............and thanks Pod for the shout out to Ben .  I try and make him feel a big part of it and he does ask if people really want us to keep doing them.   I will point it out to him , as well as the fact that we have 55 downloads just from a post in this thread which , given we really have little more than half a dozen regular posters , is pretty amazing.  :omg:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:31:12 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
, as well as the fact that we have 55 downloads just from a post in this thread which , given we really have little more than half a dozen regular posters , is pretty amazing.  :omg:

Well, I actually downloaded it twice because with Helloween/Maiden in the 40's and Winger at 10, I figured the first download was defective! ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Missing out here.  Will download tonight.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

My #1 was Keepers Pt.2 for 1988. Of course O:M was great, but it really jumped out at me as I was not a huge fan of RFO at the time. I was wondering WTF was up with them, as I LOVED Warning.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Off to see Queensryche........... :2metal:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The Chadster!!!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Welcome back good sir. You haven't missed anything. We've just been killing time til you came back  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

Zed Yago.

I've got a Zed Yago album (interweb tells me it's Pilgrimage) on clear vinyl. I thought it was complete shit. Not heard it since that time. Pretty sure Kerrang gave it a big score. I was suckered in. Did I miss a classic?