Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909946 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
thought I would throw it in there for something different rather than Heatseeker.

Thank you for that. Still many great tracks to pick from. I'm glad you played the one you did.

Liked the Angel Dust tune.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm downloading the podcast now so I can give it a listen. Looking forward to it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Just started the podcast. I dug the King Kobra track. I only have Ready to Strike out of the '80s stuff.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Ha, I remember that Smashed Gladys song! I don't think I've even heard it since '88  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ha, I remember that Smashed Gladys song! I don't think I've even heard it since '88  :lol

Same here. So awful! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I forgot how much I liked "Blood Red Skies" off Ram It Down. Nice pick...although it's probably been the same amount of time since I heard it last.

I'm trying to listen while working and there was a song or a group that you introduced as "Angel Dust" that I liked but I'm not finding it when I Google it. Do you have a list of songs you played on the podcast?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  Do you have a list of songs you played on the podcast?

I will post the countdown in the thread late next week anyway.

That Angel Dust tune was excellent.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  Do you have a list of songs you played on the podcast?

I will post the countdown in the thread late next week anyway.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Blood Red Skies is one of the best Priest songs ever! Just might be their most underrated tune

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
That Jeff Healey song is really up my alley. I may need to investigate him more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Was definitely not expecting Jeff Healey here, though he was excellent.

Riot/Krokus back the back was  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :rollin
The fall asleep comment was perfectly timed, because I just opened up the page to say that if that Barnes song made the Top 60, then the Bottom 60 must really suck! :lol

My word, that was horrific!

Offline Lowdz

Same here. So awful! :lol

Hey I like that album!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm sure you do! :lol

I definitely remember hearing that song back in the day.

I'm up to Kingdom Comeshot. I don't remember Stone Fury getting Zep Ripped.
I think it was get It On that caused the comments.

Am I the only one who hears Def Lep's Another Hit And Run on Shout It Out?

Yes, skip the Chicago, please. :lol

SFSGSW is awesome! But you picked the worst song on the album to play. In My Hour Of Darkness might be a TAC Top 20 track of all time, and Mary Jane :metal
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:01:16 PM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"Awful", "horrific"....................never change Tim.  Your honesty is refreshing  :lol

I was ducking for cover mentally as I included some of these tracks , but then I know that pretty much every single track will be enjoyed by at least one of you and I didn't want it to all be predictable. . I made a point of sticking to my guns and including a few left of centre .  Good to see Jeff Healey get some love  :tup

And Kade will likely back me up on Barnesy  :lol    It's like Vegemite - if you grow up with it , you like it.    The track I chose was the only one I could think of that some outside Australia would know , but technically it's INXS covering The Easybeats (a 60's Australian band) with Barnes guesting - so not necessarily representative.   If I had grown up with Blondie..........who knows?  ;)

Am I the only one who hears Def Lep's Another Hit And Run on Shout It Out?

Yes, skip the Chicago, please. :lol

SFSGSW is awesome! But you picked the worst song on the album to play. In My Hour Of Darkness might be a TAC Top 20 track of all time, and Mary Jane :metal

I can hear the Def Lep a bit , yeah.

Chicago was the only one where I thought the bagging would be so merciless , I might just pass  :lol

I'm not a big fan of Anarchy either , but in some cases I went for the more well known track.

34 downloads so far and I haven't mentioned it outside this thread .............so thanks for the support whoever you are :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
"Awful", "horrific"....................never change Tim.  Your honesty is refreshing  :lol

All I can say is Slim Dusty better not be in the Top 10!

:neverusethis:

34 downloads so far and I haven't mentioned it outside this thread .............so thanks for the support whoever you are :lol

I downloaded it twice thinking the first one was a mistake! ;D

Either that or the young guns really think it's 1998!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I remember 220 Volt!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm impressed that you even know who Slim Dusty is Tim :hefdaddy
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm impressed that you even know who Slim Dusty is Tim :hefdaddy

Don't get too excited.  :lol We wore this video out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nck7CHPRPoI

Rolf Harris too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTR-kGgF2EI

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I see.   I barely know who Slim Dusty is  :lol

The less said about Rolfy these days the better  :-\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I see.   I barely know who Slim Dusty is  :lol

The less said about Rolfy these days the better  :-\

Why, has Rolf passed away?

I remember seeing a picture of him with Bruce Dickinson. I did a google search but it's not coming up.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Google "Rolf Harris child sex abuse"

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Google "Rolf Harris child sex abuse"

Oh, get out! Wow.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I never heard of him before but that Rolf is a piece of thrash

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I never heard of him before but that Rolf is a piece of thrash

You are so metal JJ , even when you're not intending to be.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

If anyone deserves a Ric Flair low blow, its Rolf

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Finished getting through the podcast. I gotta say that until the top 10 or so, it was starting to sound too samey for me. A lot of "I can't believe it's not Maiden/Priest/Queensryche", and of course those bands too. :lol

The tail end was great though!
I'm not a big fan of Out of This World, as you pointed out many weren't, but still glad to see Europe included.
Of course VH had to be in there. Not a huge fan of the album, but I still like it. Not a song I would have chosen from the album, and I can't say I agree with you on F.U.C.K.
WINGER! :biggrin: Madelaine is one of my favs from the album.
Skyscraper - I love DLR, but not so much with Vai. I'm just not a Vai fan. But it's DLR, so you still get points.
Too Hot To Sleep. Fuck yeah. It's hard to go wrong with any song, but nonetheless great choice.
I'm not familiar with the song you chose from New Jersey, but I enjoyed it. I tend to stick to the same tracks from NJ but have neglected a few, so you've prompted me to give that a more thorough listen.
No Rest For the Wicked is one of my least favourite Ozzy albums, but it's still Ozzy dammit. Again, great track choice though.
Odyssey - I like this album even though I'm not much of an Yngwie fan. Solid song, not a favourite. Probably would have gone with Crystal Ball myself.

There's only one notable omission for me, which you already addressed in the outro. Still should have been top 10 though. ;)

There were a few songs/albums in there that I might check out, can't remembered the names as I only jotted down the timestamps for now.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Finished getting through the podcast. I gotta say that until the top 10 or so, it was starting to sound too samey for me. A lot of "I can't believe it's not Maiden/Priest/Queensryche", and of course those bands too. :lol

The tail end was great though!
I'm not a big fan of Out of This World, as you pointed out many weren't, but still glad to see Europe included.
Of course VH had to be in there. Not a huge fan of the album, but I still like it. Not a song I would have chosen from the album, and I can't say I agree with you on F.U.C.K.
WINGER! :biggrin: Madelaine is one of my favs from the album.
Skyscraper - I love DLR, but not so much with Vai. I'm just not a Vai fan. But it's DLR, so you still get points.
Too Hot To Sleep. Fuck yeah. It's hard to go wrong with any song, but nonetheless great choice.
I'm not familiar with the song you chose from New Jersey, but I enjoyed it. I tend to stick to the same tracks from NJ but have neglected a few, so you've prompted me to give that a more thorough listen.
No Rest For the Wicked is one of my least favourite Ozzy albums, but it's still Ozzy dammit. Again, great track choice though.
Odyssey - I like this album even though I'm not much of an Yngwie fan. Solid song, not a favourite. Probably would have gone with Crystal Ball myself.

There's only one notable omission for me, which you already addressed in the outro. Still should have been top 10 though. ;)

There were a few songs/albums in there that I might check out, can't remembered the names as I only jotted down the timestamps for now.

Thanks Blob - glad you enjoyed it.   I know that a lot of what you liked about the latter parts will likely piss others off , but those of us who also like our AOR will rate them :) .  I thought there was decent variety along the way but I suppose when everything is within a certain genre there's only so much variety on offer.

If you hear all your faves and pick up a new artist or two , that's the goal.   There will likely be a few more for you in the next podcast - it has a few of my favourite SONGS from 1988 that were on (IMHO) less consistent albums.

As far as song choices go - I agree on things like Crystal Ball being a better song , but in the end I just chose songs for whatever reason  :lol   In the case of Deja Vu I thought a few people may know it better than a song like Crystal Ball .  Bringing back memories was a goal too.

On VH..........I still like F.U.C.K but from a guitarists point of view I felt that he started recycling some very basic licks over and over from that period on and the fat guitar tone of the Music Man (at the time) only added to that for me.  That sort of tone just wasn't him to my ears.   There were exceptions.....the solos on songs like The Dream Is Over and Pleasure Dome were classic Ed.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think it was more a matter of when you listen to a block of 50 or so songs from the same year and similar genre all for the first time, it will tend to blur together a bit. It's like when you get a new album and sometimes it will sound samey, then once you listen to it a few more times the differences become more apparent. I'll have to give it another skim later and see what begins to stand out. Either way there was some new stuff in there to check out. :tup
Can't wait for part 2.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, won't get onto downloading this until probably tomorrow night, but from the reading here it's full of music win!  Looking forward to it.

Yeah, got a soft spot for Barnsey but disappointed to read which track you chose Brent, but can see why.

Agree with Jason on Blood Red Skies too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening to the Top 15 this morning before work...

Nice VH tune. I did not take to 5150, but I really liked OU812 when it came out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Even though I bought Long Cold Winter, I think I only listened to it a few times. I liked their debut, but in '88, I was getting back into speedier and thrashier stuff.

I thought you weren't going to play Chicago!. Oh wait, it's House Of Lords. ;D
I actually saw them and I must say that their singer was one of the three worst frontmen I'd ever seen. All he did was strut and mug to the crowd.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:10:28 AM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Here comes number 10...........

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Winger?? Seriously?? A Top 10 album?? Top 100? No way. One of the worst things I have ever heard in my entire life. I can't even..
I'd rather listen to an hour of Slim Dusty FFS!

How an anyone even play this with a straight face?

I'm having A HEART ATTACK RIGHT NOW.

And you're a rotten Dad too for putting poor Ben in this position.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 Nice - that makes it all worth it  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au