Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909638 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough Paul (re Timmons)..............I don't mind that style but I thought the rhythm stuff was very samey across the album and there was almost zero interesting lead work , which made it a struggle to hold my interest.

Opinions eh?  :)

Although there is plenty of Timmons' solo stuff that I really like , I have always felt that he is a better band player (w/vocal) than a solo artist.  I don't think he has quite the instrumental writing chops of the greats in that field.   And then you have guys like Moore and Satriani who I feel are much better as instrumentalists than band guys.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I forgot about the Serious Black. I'll have to give it a listen. I liked the first one.

On the final "proof listen" for the massive (5.5 hours) first half of the Best of 1988 podcast too :yarr

:metal

Can't wait, Brent!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool  :)

I was there but thought I would check out the mp3 myself (as against listening to the finished product inside the software) and once again..........the final mixed mp3 sounded totally different (way too "hot") compared to the preview in the software that I'm supposed to be able to use to judge these things.  ::) >:( 

I think I have finally discovered the quirk in the software that is causing this issue and so am just quickly "remastering" each track to test my theory .   This has taken so long to complete that I am going to make damn sure it sounds spot on.  :metal

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 04:35:56 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I was there but thought I would check out the mp3 myself (as against listening to the finished product inside the software) and once again..........the final mixed mp3 sounded totally different (way too "hot") compared to the preview in the software that I'm supposed to be able to use to judge these things.  ::) >:( 

I think I have finally discovered the quirk in the software that is causing this issue and so am just quickly "remastering" each track to test my theory .   This has taken so long to complete that I am going to make damn sure it sounds spot on.  :metal

We all appreciate the effort  :)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

:)

Alright...........the sound is sorted - should sound way better than any of the other podcasts.   I've just realised that I have blown my mobile broadband data (forgot I had it connected) and am in for a huge bill , so have had to switch back to my regular shitty hard connection.  So I will upload overnight while asleep and then link it up in the morning.

I've probably already said this but I have basically split it into two huge podcasts - the first will be the Top 60 (counted down)  and the second will be the next best 60 just in random order as a regular show.  It's hard to believe that there were 120 worthy albums , but that late 80's period was nuts for rock and metal and we're right in the sweet spot.   The Best of 1980 list took me a week..........this took me quite a bit longer :lol

As I am at pains to point out in the podcast , my main focus was to get all of the best albums from 1988 (to the best of my knowledge ) together for you guys.  I spent far more time on the research and piecing the podcast together than I did on fractional ratings.    The ratings/rankings are secondary and really mean very little when you consider that most ratings were "one listen jobs" , all albums in the first podcast are rated high 80's or better and in some cases a one point increase could rocket an album up 20 spots in the countdown.  It was that close....so the rankings are a very general trend at best.     I'm sure someone will point out something that I've missed but I think most of the expected albums and plenty you will not know will appear.

As far as the general work on the show goes..............I hope you will notice a difference.  It will never sound exactly like a live radio show and I'm not a DJ's asshole ( not enough of a loudmouth for starters) but I have put a lot more time into some fade ins/outs and a few other little things to make it sound more slick compared to the stop/start of the tracks on prior podcasts. I even used a little studio trickery here and there.  There is also the odd mistake here and there but I decided I'd rather leave it alone rather than correct every tiny error......sounds more "real" that way.

Anyway.......it'll be up in the morning (my time) and I hope you all get a kick out of reliving 1988.   

I will now apply my little fixes to the second 1988 podcast before I forget what I just sorted out.   ::)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:35:49 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Absolutely, can't wait for it.

Didn't know Timmons had a new one either, but I pretty much agree with Brent in regards to Timmons as a solo artist.  I'll have to give it a listen though.

The Serious Black might indeed come good after a few listens but it's hard to put time into these sorts of samey releases these days.  Feels like there little reward with so much stuff floating around.

I've just started having a listen to the Charred Walls of the Damned too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Feels like there little reward with so much stuff floating around.

Yep - I do stumble onto the odd gem but it's serious hard work to find one.    It's like 1988 but without the quality  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Feels like there little reward with so much stuff floating around.

Yep - I do stumble onto the odd gem but it's serious hard work to find one.    It's like 1988 but without the quality  :lol

Yeah, there's not much jumping out as a future classic these days. There's too much stuff for one. In the old days you had to live with an album for a while, you had no choice. Now you don't even have to buy it in advance, so many albums just get one stream to make an impression.

Looking forward to the best of 88. Will be interested to see if there's anything I don't have. I'm sure there'll be the odd new one on me in there.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Looking forward to the best of 88. Will be interested to see if there's anything I don't have. I'm sure there'll be the odd new one on me in there.

I reckon there might be a few in there.  Listening to the second lot of 60 now and in many ways it could well be the better set of songs (many of my faves are on patchy albums).   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Wolf, let us know what you think of the Charred Walls album. I thought the first two were ok, but the songs just seemed to blend together and nothing really stood out

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Cannot wait for this podcast. I believe it's morning in Australia.  :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Cannot wait for this podcast. I believe it's morning in Australia.  :)

Yes it is.

https://yadi.sk/d/V_2qYHdxwfuUe

Enjoy.........The Best of 1988 Pt 1.

if there's any shock omissions for you , then chances are they're in the next one.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome! :metal :metal

I have the day off tomorrow!!

Can't wait to listen.

Wait a minute.. I'm not going to be happy if it's 5.5 hours from 1998..

:neverusethis:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
haha.............I redid the damn thing so many times yesterday that I didn't notice the fat finger moment.  Fixed.

The Best of 1998 podcast might be 5.5 minutes  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol
So true!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
hey, 1998 had some good albums

The Chemical Wedding
Book of Secrets
Twilight in Olympus
Tyranny
The Wake of Magellan
Permanent Mark (John West)
Something Wicked This Way Comes
DEATH - THE SOUND OF PERSEVERANCE (join usssss)
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Here is the sum total of every album in my collection from 1998 that I can even remotely listen to. :lol

The Snakes - Once Bitten
DLR - DLR Band
KISS - Psycho Circus

1988 on the other hand, bring it on! :metal I'll download the podcast tonight. The file's too big for me to download during the day.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Woah, 727MB.  Might have to wait until the weekend until I can download and start listening.  So looking forward to this though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
hey, 1998 had some good albums

The Chemical Wedding
Book of Secrets
Twilight in Olympus
Tyranny
The Wake of Magellan
Permanent Mark (John West)
Something Wicked This Way Comes
DEATH - THE SOUND OF PERSEVERANCE (join usssss)

Also;

Nightfall in Middle Earth
Legacy of Kings
Vain Glory Opera
Better Than Raw
Primal Fear
Invictus
Destiny

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Woah, 727MB.  Might have to wait until the weekend until I can download and start listening.  So looking forward to this though.

If anyone requires a smaller file , just ask and I will do one in lower bitrate than 320kbps.    It should sound okay in 192 as the 320 sounds  :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Us poor Aussies and our shitty internet. :lol

I'm fine with the 320kb file, it will just have to wait until after 2am.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What is this, a talk show?? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of talk.........just realised listening to it now that I announced #6 as #5  and #5 as #4 and then got back on track with 4,3,2,1  :lol     That wasn't one of the little errors that I left in intentionally  ::)

I must've listened to the whole thing half a dozen times and it took me that long to notice :lol   

I will post the countdown in the thread late next week anyway.

The link to the podcast is in the OP as usual btw.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm only up to Steeler right now.

Oddly, I never got into Testament back then. I never really considered myself a true thrash fan. I just never thought they were in Metallica's league and I wasn't a fan of the vocals. I like their early stuff much more now. I still played them on my radio show.

The only other thrash band that I really took to was F&J. No Place better be in the Part 1 of 1988!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm only up to Steeler right now.

Oddly, I never got into Testament back then. I never really considered myself a true thrash fan. I just never thought they were in Metallica's league and I wasn't a fan of the vocals. I like their early stuff much more now. I still played them on my radio show.

The only other thrash band that I really took to was F&J. No Place better be in the Part 1 of 1988!

here we go  :lol  No Place..........in my countdown :lol

And by the way..............any mistakes are Ben's fault.   Wait til you hear the bagging he gave a couple of my Top Ten albums..........put me off my game  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No Place..........in my countdown :lol

Wait til you hear the bagging he gave a couple of my Top Ten albums

You probably deserved it!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You will agree with him Tim  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Took your advice on checking out the VS video.

:rollin

WTF?? 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Took your advice on checking out the VS video.

:rollin

WTF??

Every time I watch that I discover something new and awesome  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, something new, maybe... :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I liked Kix, but Don't Close Your Eyes had to be one of the most annoying songs ever. It puts the "blow" in Blow My Fuse.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
HELLOWEEN!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you played March Of Time. Thought you'd take the easy way out with I Want Out. Talk about overrated.

I like Rise And Fall, musically. Lyrically it's dumb. But it's a very catchy tune. Same with Dr. Stein. I can see someone letting those tracks drag it down a bit. Almost B side material. But everything else is just so damned great.

Well, I glad Helloween at least beat Poison. ;D

Just don't tell me Iron Maiden will also be in the 40's.

Edit: WHAT???  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
As I have been at pains to say , an album ranked 45 may have the same rating score as one ranked in the 20's..........so in many ways the order is largely arbitrary across large sections of the podcast.

I knew you'd get into me ,so.............

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 ;D

Glad you have AC/DC here. Blow Up Your Video is a fantastic album.

Was Down On The Borderline an Australian or Asian track only. I've never heard it, as it was not on the US version. Fits right in though. Nice track.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Was Down On The Borderline an Australian or Asian track only. I've never heard it, as it was not on the US version. Fits right in though. Nice track.

it was recorded in the Blow Up Your Video sessions and later released as a B-side on Moneytalks (1990) Aussie single  and bonus track.  Also in the Backtracks box set.

I have always viewed it as part of the album ......thought I would throw it in there for something different rather than Heatseeker.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:29:42 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au