Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909841 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Blackout  :metal The Tooper  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just found a pretty awesome video of your podcast producer (Ben) headbanging at a "KISS concert" aged 2yo.   It was a one-off gig that a local KISS cover band (KISStroyer) did in 2010 for young kids.  Unfortunately they never did it again .

Anyway........I think it's pretty cool , even if I am slightly biased.     :angel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVn2Dcrw9ag

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Nice. They sound half decent.
Is that Mrs Brent at the end of the clip?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice. They sound half decent.

That's my sister who is my concert companion and will be at Queensryche with me in a week or so.  Somebody brainwashed her as a young child.  :angel:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That kids gonna turn out alright!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
My daughter turns 8 next week, for birthday she wants (among other more girlie things) a cd with "a lot of rock music, especially with loud guitars".  :metal :biggrin:  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everything so far on this page deserves a few of these  :metal :metal :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I just found a pretty awesome video of your podcast producer (Ben) headbanging at a "KISS concert" aged 2yo.   It was a one-off gig that a local KISS cover band (KISStroyer) did in 2010 for young kids.  Unfortunately they never did it again .

Anyway........I think it's pretty cool , even if I am slightly biased.     :angel:

Awesome!

Is there a Mrs Brent?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

Rockin' out with a crispbread, nice  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My daughter turns 8 next week, for birthday she wants (among other more girlie things) a cd with "a lot of rock music, especially with loud guitars".  :metal :biggrin:  :metal

How is she doing? You had mentioned some surgery.

Offline Kwyjibo

She is doing fine under the given circumstances, meaning it's not good but she's managing.

The surgery was canceled because the donated heart valve that was to be implanted was too small to have the desired effect. Since then we are waiting for another heart valve. Since these come from organ donors all we can do is wait. The doctors say that in the next half year something has to be done to avoid permanent damage of the heart. But after each examination they say that we can wait a little longer. But nonetheless we have to think about alternatives, there are some, but they are only second best solutions with sometimes major drawbacks.

So we wait and hope.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's rough, man. Hoping as well.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

:metal       Some of the comments that Ben made about a few of my softer selections in the Best of 1988 were not nice  :'(

Hope she is on the mend soon H.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:38:02 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

That's rough, man. Hoping as well.

That is shit. Fingers crossed for you all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

She is doing fine under the given circumstances, meaning it's not good but she's managing.

The surgery was canceled because the donated heart valve that was to be implanted was too small to have the desired effect. Since then we are waiting for another heart valve. Since these come from organ donors all we can do is wait. The doctors say that in the next half year something has to be done to avoid permanent damage of the heart. But after each examination they say that we can wait a little longer. But nonetheless we have to think about alternatives, there are some, but they are only second best solutions with sometimes major drawbacks.

So we wait and hope.

God bless (if that's your thing) and the luck of the cosmos (if it's not).

Try Rival Sons, "The Great Western Valkyrie".  Or some vintage Cheap Trick, say, "Heaven Tonight" (though there's a lyric or two you may get some questions about). 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Hope for the best Kwyjibo!

Offline Kwyjibo

Thanks all, I firmly believe that everything will go well in the end, but it's nonetheless a hard road.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

So we wait and hope.

That's just shit bro, all the best man.  Life really isn't fair sometimes.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I got dragged kicking and screaming to a wedding down at St Kilda last night and noticed at the Palais theater  that the Scorps gig next week (huge ticket prices) has sold out , so good on 'em.   I didn't think they would have the pull around here to do that , but Melbourne often amazes me with the crowds we get for music and sport.

On the final "proof listen" for the massive (5.5 hours) first half of the Best of 1988 podcast too :yarr

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

On the subject of massive ticket price, I was going to get tix for Joe Bonamassa playing just down the road here. Fuck me, £90 each before booking fee.
So now I ain't going.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Also with ticket prices, I can't make it to Queensryche next week cause of work but they are asking $90, which I think is quite absurd to be honest.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Also with ticket prices, I can't make it to Queensryche next week cause of work but they are asking $90, which I think is quite absurd to be honest.

If it was the Sydney show, I could have gotten them for $60 for you.
$90 isn't that bad for this country though. Since when is any show decently priced here?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

$90 isn't that bad for this country though. Since when is any show decently priced here?

Normally from what I've seen bands of this caliber normally go for around that $60-$70 mark.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
When you add in (Melbourne) Vanishing Point and Teramaze , I reckon $80-$90 isn't too bad when you consider the cost for the smaller bands to come out here.   And the Aussie dollar isn't what it was.

I would much rather pay $80 to see Queensryche up close than go to a stadium and pay $150 to see AC/DC or $300 to see Springsteen.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Normally from what I've seen bands of this caliber normally go for around that $60-$70 mark.

Usually, although tickets are getting more expensive all the time. I've seen worse bands charge more money in smaller venues. I don't know how a band even makes a profit coming all the way here to play for a few hundred people in each state for that kind of money.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, you guys are both right I guess.  And yeah Brent, that lineup is worth the money.  Brisbane got screwed in regards to the support acts compared to Melbourne and Sydney, as usual.

Offline gazinwales

$90 is cheap to see any band from overseas.
They don't make any money at all, and the promoter don't do much better.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I guess it's just the tightass coming out in me.  :lol

Offline Lowdz

Just done a conversion and the Joe Bonamassa tickets at £90 is about 150 Aussie monopoly money  :biggrin:
I'd have taken the Queensryche price I think.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's what I paid for Maiden.  I guess the 90 bucks isn't too bad now that I really think about it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Having a listen to the new Serious Black, meh.  It's too easy to write these sorts of albums off these days.  Solid stuff, but nothing memorable or mindblowing.  Not worthy of a purchase at this stage.  Very short too.  I miss Grapow's leads.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I recall I paid 175 to see Maiden, towards the front of the first elevation. That's about what I paid for Metallica too, and that was further back. Any more than that, and I just won't go.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Having a listen to the new Serious Black...  Solid stuff, but nothing memorable or mindblowing. 

Agreed.

Just having a listen to the new Andy Timmons and it's the same.    Albums like The Extremist/Crystal Planet have a similar (but heavier) vibe but are miles better.   Pretty bland actually.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I'm pretty sure I listened to the new Serious Black last week or something, but I can't remember a single thing about it. :lol

Offline Lowdz

Having a listen to the new Serious Black...  Solid stuff, but nothing memorable or mindblowing. 

Agreed.

Just having a listen to the new Andy Timmons and it's the same.    Albums like The Extremist/Crystal Planet have a similar (but heavier) vibe but are miles better.   Pretty bland actually.

I listyened to it whilst driving this weekend - I liked it. I enjoyed how it was quite riffy rather than lead led. It was a bit of a contrast to the shred that I usually go for.

Got the Serious Black on in the car now. Half way through and its good. Last one was better I think, on first listen.