Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909562 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Living on A Prayer I'd classify as a trainwreck.   Dead or Alive wasn't as bad.

Yeah. Living on a Prayer is a harder song to pull off though. Even Bon Jovi has always phoned it in on that one. I noticed they completely avoided the key change too. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Besides a couple of songs I don't mind hearing on the radio, I'm not into Bon Jovi at all.  Is Ritchie considered overrated, I've never heard much either way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Pretty sure the Official Hard Rock/Classic Heavy Metal Thread was not started so we could discuss Bon Jovi.

Just sayin'...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm pretty sure the Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion thread was started specifically to discuss Bon Jovi.

I listened to Slippery When Wet / New Jersey just today. I usually listen to them back to back because it's awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Jersey is indeed a great album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I prefer Slippery When Wet overall for consistency, but I dig both. Don't really care for anything before or after those two albums though. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
John Bush fronting Metallica..........nice

https://youtu.be/XWQjXdO0tUw
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Hah!

Well that's the best track. So don't bother.

Just got through it on Spotify. Half of it is decent, the other half is meh.

Grimmett is one of my faves but even I thought it was just okay ......78% from me .  Solid melodic metal but pretty one dimensional and he did struggle here and there.  Some context though - the guy is 57 and trying to pull it off like he's 27.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a struggle but at his age I think he's doing a pretty good job.

speaking of Grimmett, his 2007 album Personal Crisis under the Steve Grimmett Band moniker is pretty great.  Been listening to that a bit lately.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Hah!

Grimmett is one of my faves but even I thought it was just okay ......78% from me .  Solid melodic metal but pretty one dimensional and he did struggle here and there.  Some context though - the guy is 57 and trying to pull it off like he's 27.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a struggle but at his age I think he's doing a pretty good job.

speaking of Grimmett, his 2007 album Personal Crisis under the Steve Grimmett Band moniker is pretty great.  Been listening to that a bit lately.

Personal Crisis is a very good album IMO , but that's no news to anyone I suppose given that I featured it in a recent podcast.   I like most of the stuff he's done over the years.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Hah!

Personal Crisis is a very good album IMO , but that's no news to anyone I suppose given that I featured it in a recent podcast.   I like most of the stuff he's done over the years.

:tup exactly why I was listening to it.  The rest of the album is full of winners in my book.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

I prefer Slippery When Wet overall for consistency, but I dig both. Don't really care for anything before or after those two albums though. :lol

Those two are awesome albums. There's some gold on the first two but production killed 7800. After NJ it was a case of diminishing returns. I do love Have A Nice Day though. The only shining light since New Jersey.

And yeah, Jon could never sing Livin On A Prayer, and why write a modulation you can't sing?

Offline gazinwales

7800 has some great songs on it, but apparently JBJ hates it with passion.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I listened to Slippery When Wet / New Jersey just today. I usually listen to them back to back because it's awesome.

Even though I don't rate Bon Jovi at all, I should actually listen to both of these albums in full.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I like most of their stuff up to and including New Jersey.    Keep The Faith had a couple of tracks I really liked , but you could tell they were on the way out in terms of being a hard rock band.  From there I have marvelled at how people with similar taste to mine rave over albums like These Days , because I just don't get it.

I can think of one song I play every now and then from their modern catalogue and that's Last Man Standing from HAND.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I've heard the whole These Days album, which I didn't rate, except the title track, that's a fucking great underrated Jovi tune.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I actually like It's My Life, but that's the only song post-NJ I listen to. I can't say I've ever bothered to listen their more recent output though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Isn't he a country artist now anyway?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Half their tracks these days  :angel: seem to be written according to the It's My Life formula.  They really seem to have struck a little songwriting equation that will appeal to the housewives and country crossover crowd .  JBJ is a marketing genius , I'll give him that, but I have had pretty much zero interest in them since 1988.

I went and saw them live a couple of years back but that's only because I got the tix for $20.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Half their tracks these days  :angel: seem to be written according to the It's My Life formula.  They really seem to have struck a little songwriting equation that will appeal to the housewives and country crossover crowd .  JBJ is a marketing genius , I'll give him that, but I have had pretty much zero interest in them since 1988.

I went and saw them live a couple of years back but that's only because I got the tix for $20.

eerrr........that would still be too much for me.  ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
What about these babies.............10 days to go :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

:metal :metal :metal

Would Metallica have reached the top with John Bush at the mic?  He was offered the gig, but turned it down in the early 80's.  John has one of the best voices in metal, but I don't think it would have made Metallica the machine they became.

Offline gazinwales

Looking forward to see Queensryche and Symphony X in the same week  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent are you doing a meet and greet with Queensryche?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:metal :metal :metal

Would Metallica have reached the top with John Bush at the mic?  He was offered the gig, but turned it down in the early 80's.  John has one of the best voices in metal, but I don't think it would have made Metallica the machine they became.

What made Metallica Metallica was Hetfield. As much as I LOVE John Bush, I'm not sure they would've achieved what they did without Hetfield.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think John just has one of the ultimate pure heavy metal voices.  I just couldn't see it translate into mainstream success with him fronting Metallica.  For me personally, I would love to hear what the songs would sound like though.

And John never seemed to be a great fit for Anthrax IMO.  Joey fits Anthrax 100X more than John, just like James would with Metallica.

John and Armored Saint are a perfect match!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I agree.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Lowdz

https://bravewords.com/news/lords-of-black-rainbow-vocalist-ronnie-romero-teams-up-with-free-fall-primal-fear-guitarist-magnus-karlsson-in-the-ferrymen

Looking forward to this. I guessed it right when Ronnie was teasing it on his Facebook account a few weeks ago.

Just been listening to the Hardline songs on YouTube from the new album. A couple of typical del Vecchio tunes but some good ones too. And Johnnie has a great voice.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent are you doing a meet and greet with Queensryche?

I believe that's the idea..............I know they generally do very small VIP sessions and so I got into someone's ear very early to make sure I got a couple of spots.   The lead times these days are so huge (tickets went on sale over 6 months before the gig) that I can barely remember what's involved.   I think it's just a catch up/signing before the gig .  I am not sure I can bothered carrying around stuff to be signed either.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The LOB is an awesome album.

Oh, and Bravewords gave the new Grimmett/Grim Reaper a 6.0! Hah!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening To Stryper's Fallen today. I totally skipped over it last year. It's not bad.

Is it me or does Love You Like I do remind anyone else of Rock You Like A Hurricane?

Woah! A Sabbath cover! :omg:

Edit: Solid album! :tup
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:44:55 AM by TAC »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Fallen was a good album, but not as good as No More Hell to Pay.  That Sabbath cover is a standout for me on Fallen

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I'm listening to The Covering right now. Guess I ignored this one too! What an awesome batch of songs. Lights Out :metal Set Me Free :metal Carry On  :metal Over The Mountain  :metal Heaven & Hell  :metal On Fire  :metal

Wish they'd picked a different Priest song.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:49:35 PM by TAC »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
So I'm listening to The Covering right now. Guess I ignored this one too! What an awesome batch of songs. Lights Out :metal Set Me Free :metal Carry On  :metal Over The Mountain  :metal Heaven & Hell  :metal On Fire  :metal

Wish they'd picked a different Priest song.

Awesome album and one of the better cover albums in recent memory.  Don't forget "Blackout" and "The Trooper"!!  The original song, God, is stellar as well.