Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909642 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh well, the Taberah was great.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

If they ever tour Brisbane I would get there Kade - a really entertaining band .  They're from Tassie and supported Nightwish when I saw them in Melbourne.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

If they ever tour Brisbane I would get there Kade - a really entertaining band .  They're from Tassie and supported Nightwish when I saw them in Melbourne.

Wow, another kick ass Aussie band.  Good to know Brent.

Offline Lowdz

I haven't got as far as the Skrap Metal track. I'm guessing it's the very Whitesnakey ballad with wanker in the first line? Retire or die?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nah - "You ain't no virgin baby , that's for sure"  :lol

Shoot The Sherbet :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I hear Primal Fear put on a good show on the weekend - tiny venue aside (sold out).   Black Majesty ended up as support so would've been a good gig.

Speaking of support the bands supporting Queensryche in the various cities have been announced for the Aussie tour.   Check out Melbourne  :metal :metal

Tuesday 11th October – Brisbane – The Triffid
w/ Seraphic, Awaken Solace

Thursday 13th October – Adelaide – Fowlers Live
w/ Hidden Intent, icecocoon

Friday 14th October – Melbourne – Prince Bandroom
w/ Vanishing Point, Teramaze

Saturday 15th October – Sydney – Manning Bar
w/ LORD, Hemina

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I haven't heard of any of those bands except for the Sydney openers. I went to school with one of the guys from Hemina.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck what a lineup in Melbourne.  Queensland get people I've never heard of of course.  Of course Syndey get LORD too.  ::)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sydney ALWAYS gets Lord. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
New Flots vid for Life Is A Mess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI8rWo2osaU

Kade, I was going to send this track next round. Should've sent it last round..

Anyway, it's easily my favorite track off the new album. They haven't played in this style in a looooooong time. Classic Flots. This album is killer, and Jason Bittner is ridiculous on this album!

Wow, I quite like that.  And I know you will disagree, Tim, but this reminds me of Drift's sound quite a bit, which automatically lifts it in my book.
Just picked this up last night.  I have not had a chance to listen to the whole thing, but I like what I have heard so far (first four tracks).  Rather than starting the disk from the beginning, I went right to Iron Maiden because I had to see whether there were going to be lyrical references to the band, or if it was just about medieval torture.  (since the font they used in the booklet is completely illegible, I couldn't just read the lyrics to see what the songs are about)  It was bugging me that the music and vocal melody sounded somewhat familiar...until midway through the second verse I found myself involuntarily humming the vocal melody from The Trooper over the riff.  :lol  Anyway, cool little song.  Definitely a nod to Maiden, but not quite in the way I expected. 

As far as the rest of the album, again, I like what I am hearing so far.  I like that it sounds like classic thrash, but also sounds modernized and not dated.  And I do hear some sonic similarities with Drift, but I guess that may largely be attributable to Michael Gilbert being back in the band.  Tim, does he write much?  I don't know anything about the writing and dynamics of the band.  I know Eric is the only member that has stayed on continuously since the beginning, so I am guessing he is heavily involved in the writing.  But I don't know to what extent other contribute. 

I will report more on this later after I have listened to the whole thing.  I also picked up the new Lacuna Coil and Jelly Jam albums.  Those don't really fit this thread, so I will report on those elsewhere.  But lots of new music to listen to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I went right to Iron Maiden because I had to see whether there were going to be lyrical references to the band, or if it was just about medieval torture.  (since the font they used in the booklet is completely illegible, I couldn't just read the lyrics to see what the songs are about)  It was bugging me that the music and vocal melody sounded somewhat familiar...until midway through the second verse I found myself involuntarily humming the vocal melody from The Trooper over the riff.  :lol  Anyway, cool little song.  Definitely a nod to Maiden, but not quite in the way I expected. 
It's actually quite clever. I love the dual guitar solo/melody. It's done in total Maiden style.

As far as the rest of the album, again, I like what I am hearing so far.  I like that it sounds like classic thrash, but also sounds modernized and not dated.  And I do hear some sonic similarities with Drift, but I guess that may largely be attributable to Michael Gilbert being back in the band.  Tim, does he write much?  I don't know anything about the writing and dynamics of the band.  I know Eric is the only member that has stayed on continuously since the beginning, so I am guessing he is heavily involved in the writing.  But I don't know to what extent other contribute. 

That's a great question about Gilbert. F&J have always credited the whole band when it comes to writing credits. I will say that the 4 albums that do not have Gilbert (and original drummer Kelly Smith) have a totally different feel than the first 6 albums. Sure original guitarist Ed Carlson was there, but they just feel different. I found those first 6 albums had a certain personality.
And even then, the first three (Doomsday, No Place, & Storm)  were much thrashier and speedy than the second three (Cuatro, Drift, & High). The new album feels much closer to those first three for me.

I was very excited for Ugly Noise, the previous one to the latest one, as it marked the return of Gilbert and Kelly Smith. I was a bit disappointed as I was hoping for something like this one, but it was very close to High in terms of quality. Not that it's a bad thing, but you know, expectations..
Then this one comes out of nowhere and BAM!

What I also like is that Jason Bittner plays this in a very similar style to Kelly Smith.

Obviously Newsted was the original bassist, but I always thought Troy Gregory had a big influence on the next two albums. Because when he left, it felt like there was a huge shift in style with Cuatro. Bassist Jason Ward was a longtime member from Cuatro right up through Ugly Noise.

But new/current bassist Michael Spencer goes way back with the band though, as he did the Doomsday tour after Newsted left.

I'll also say this about Michael Gilbert. he was always one of the coolest dudes I've ever seen on stage. He was such a little guy, but he was the most intense headbanger I've ever seen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I went right to Iron Maiden because I had to see whether there were going to be lyrical references to the band, or if it was just about medieval torture.  (since the font they used in the booklet is completely illegible, I couldn't just read the lyrics to see what the songs are about)  It was bugging me that the music and vocal melody sounded somewhat familiar...until midway through the second verse I found myself involuntarily humming the vocal melody from The Trooper over the riff.  :lol  Anyway, cool little song.  Definitely a nod to Maiden, but not quite in the way I expected. 
It's actually quite clever. I love the dual guitar solo/melody. It's done in total Maiden style.
Yup.  I caught that as well.  The galloping riff.  The dual guitar leads.  The vocal melody.  It is Maiden to the core.

F&J have always credited the whole band when it comes to writing credits.

Yeah, I noticed that abut this one.  I did not have the other albums handy to check.  I'm curious now who does what in the writing department.

I'll also say this about Michael Gilbert. he was always one of the coolest dudes I've ever seen on stage. He was such a little guy, but he was the most intense headbanger I've ever seen.

Hah, yeah, that was one thing that stood out to me the first time I saw them in '95.  In a thrash metal festival where most of the band members in the bands present have long, flowing locks, here's this little short spikey haired dude in plain black t-shirt unleashing these crunchy riffs and blistering solos, while headbanging like a mofo.  Good to see he has slimmed down.  The chunky look back when they released their live album a few years back was not a good look.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jerry, one more thing. There's not a ton of bootlegs of the classic era, but I had this show on VHS back in the day. It's an awesome boot from The Channel in Boston in 1988. I did not see them in Boston (well I did in '94) but I did see them in Providence a couple of times that year.

If you have a chance, check out No Place For Disgrace from the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utjO3B0vJkU

You can see how active bassist Troy Gregory was. I was crushed when he left. Ok, crushed is a strong word, but I was very disappointed.

Also, keep your eye on Gilbert, and at :48, his head is about to fall off! :metal

I'm getting goosebumps just watching it. It looks like he has a white collared alligator style shirt on. I always thought that was so funny. I seem to remember him wearing a red one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Also, keep your eye on Gilbert, and at :48, his head is about to fall off! :metal

:rollin  You weren't kidding!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tim, have you seen this one?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbhmOPbUB-I

Hah, I saw that on the youtube page. I clicked on it and it froze my computer. Then I had to make dinner. I'll watch it on my TV tomorrow morning.

EDIT:
That was awesome. All but two songs taken from the first two albums.

Dat riff in Suffer The Masses  :metal :metal :metal
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:26:54 AM by TAC »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Another Jorn song - You're The Voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdTJptlnyiA

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Amazing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I know some guys touched on the new album from Impellitteri, Venom, a few months ago. I've heard a lot of material from Impellitteri and found them somewhat inconsistent. This included their last album, Wicked Maiden.

But being the big Rob Rock fan that I am, I decided to give this one a chance. Wow, what a scorcher!!  This has to be one of the best Rob Rock fronted albums I've ever heard.

Brent if you scored this one, what was the rating?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I gave it about 80% Jay - like many recent releases I found it to be quality but all very familiar.  It is a fun listen though - when it opened up with " 1,2,3................venoooooooom "  I had a big smile on my face.   Very metal   :lol That opening track was blistering but I didn't think that anything else quite matched it.   Solid effort though - not as if 80% is a bad score.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:14:17 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Did you ever rate Crush by them? I can't say I was too fond of that one

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

No - although I probably have most of his albums I haven't spent much time listening and have only ever rated 3 (all high 70's-low 80's)........of those my fave was Answer To The Master.

I always thought of him as a 2nd rate Malmsteen but now Malmsteen is a 3rd rate Impellitteri  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I've got that as a special edition with another album on it too, but can't remember which. Yeah, average for the most part. Still the best thing Impelliterri did was the Somewhere Over The Rainbow cover  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I've got that as a special edition with another album on it too, but can't remember which. Yeah, average for the most part. Still the best thing Impelliterri did was the Somewhere Over The Rainbow cover  :lol

I had that on a mixtape  :lol :blush

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
FYI Kade there's a gig called Shredfest on at a joint called The Back Room in Brisbane on 27th August that includes Taberah in the lineup.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Is anyone picking up the Twisted Sister live cd/dvd next month?

I'm getting the cd for sure, on the fence about the dvd.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm getting the cd for sure, on the fence about the dvd.

Same here!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
FYI Kade there's a gig called Shredfest on at a joint called The Back Room in Brisbane on 27th August that includes Taberah in the lineup.

Shredfest?  Sounds interesting.

Offline Lowdz

Anyone checked out the Rainbow footage? First night was a bit ropey but they've been OK after that. The singer is excellent. I can see where Ritchie's reference to DIO and Freddie Murcury comes from. The mannerisms are Freddie and he has a look of him. Theres a hint of the voice there too.
He's a better fir than Dougie a White.

Blackmore lost his way a few times when soloing but he did alright.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I saw the footage that was linked from the Guitar World FB page. It's great to see Blackmore playing that old stuff again. He still nails that Highway Star solo, and still looks pissed off when the others mess up. Just like the good old days. :lol Singer did a good job.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I probably discover half a dozen new bands most weeks (most of them rubbish) and am rarely rewarded for my trawling , but today I have been.  This is quite possibly the first album I have found since my Top 50 that could maybe steal a spot with time.   It's an unknown gem from that early 90's period (there are so many of those) with a great singer, great guitarist  (with some groove that most are missing) and music that is quite varied and interesting with a mostly hard rock/metal context.  Everything from straight up metal to Spanish guitars , blues, ballads...............you name it. 

Another recent first - I have listened to that same album 3 times in a row.  I used to do that regularly (listen albums to death) but almost never these days.

My rating : 97%

Look out for a special bracket for them in the next podcast which (even if I do say so) is already a must listen..  For an indication as to the heaviness of the metal side of this feature band, think Fifth Angel/Arch Rival/TNT.

New Fates Warning up next , but need to listen to this one again  :metal
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:46:02 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I probably discover half a dozen new bands most weeks (most of them rubbish) and am rarely rewarded for my trawling , but today I have been.  This is quite possibly the first album I have found since my Top 50 that could maybe steal a spot with time.   It's an unknown gem from that early 90's period (there are so many of those) with a great singer, great guitarist  (with some groove that most are missing) and music that is quite varied and interesting with a mostly hard rock/metal context.  Everything from straight up metal to Spanish guitars , blues, ballads...............you name it. 

Another recent first - I have listened to that same album 3 times in a row.  I used to do that regularly (listen albums to death) but almost never these days.

My rating : 97%

Look out for a special bracket for them in the next podcast which (even if I do say so) is already a must listen..  For an indication as to the heaviness of the metal side of this feature band, think Fifth Angel/Arch Rival.

New Fates Warning up next , but need to listen to this one again  :metal

Give me the name now, you bastard!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You won't like it Blob , it's good  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Early 90s, bitch! Now you're in my house. Unless it's past December 31 1992. Then it's definitely shit.