Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909732 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So I gave in and spotifyed the new Yngwie album. Brent, you were too kind. It's fucking abysmal. Lots of instrumentals thankfully, but they all sound the same with the same few licks repeated in a different order.
On a positive, the last track was ok but it's probably a classical melody he's stolen.

Shit. Shit. shit

Don't bother.

So disappointing.  I'll listen but if anything like the last one, just garbage.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
If both Paul and Brent say it's the shits, then it's officially the shits

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I was perusing the credits for the new Michael Schenker live album, and I see that the track listing was done by Shmegland Graphics out of New Hampshire!

See track 14

;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:48:28 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So is it actually To Many Ho's To Handle?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Apparently! :lol

Probably not even a mistake on King's part! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well in that case it might be Too Much For The Ho's To Handle  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It's actually not a typo.

It doesn't mention it on the cover, but Hacksaw Jim Duggan makes a special appearance during that song and they changed the title to honor him

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hmm.. You might be right...Now that I think of it, I don't think Hacksaw Jim and Shmegland Joe have ever been seen in the same place!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmm.. You might be right...Now that I think of it, I don't think Hacksaw Jim and Shmegland Joe have ever been seen in the same place!

Interesting

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Well in that case it might be Too Much For The Ho's To Handle  :lol
Bitch please.

Ho's better handle me.

Actually,  one bitch is enough. Thank you very much.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I figured I'd post an old pic. It was taken after the Paul Stanley solo tour show in Hartford on 2-23-89. It's the 80's so acid wash jeans and a jean jacket FTW!! :lol

I went with my friend Greg Lyons, who like is Australian cousin was a very funny guy. We each got a pick and we are posing at a Paul show doing a Gene tongue impression. :facepalm:

We each also got a shirt, but as you can see, Greg got the gay one!

Anyway, a 20 year old TAC!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Been listening to a number of recent albums and I have a few thoughts:

1. Listened to Primal Fear's Rulebreaker last night. Nothing wrong with it. I like the music and I like the songs, but it comes down to the realization  that I don't like Ralf Sheepers. I don't have their entire catalog, but I have bought their last 4 or 5 albums. I was not planning on getting Rulebreaker but the usual suspects around here were saying how great it was, so I did something I wasn't planning on doing. I bought it. Probably the last one.

2. Grabbed the new Michael Schenker live album. It's a great collection of tunes spanning his career, his new Temple Of Rock material, and some Scorps tunes (being that his rhythm section is Buccholz/Rarebell). His last two albums (with Doogie White) have been excellent. Schenker is playing inspired and these are his best albums in many a year. Much like the discussion last week about George Lynch, Schenker's discog is very mediocre. Sometimes I think he's too timid and afraid to "show off".

Anyway, I have two complaints. Schenker is way too low in the mix. But mainly, Doogie White is very disappointing on this, especially on the non Temple Of Rock tracks. It feels like there's a lack of effort. Doctor Doctor is so lame, and he sucks all of the life out of the verses of Attack Of The Mad Axeman. It feels like he's going through the motions, and maybe there's a reason he keeps bouncing around. I love the two albums he's made with Schenker, but this performance is weak here.
Oh, and Schenker gave Wayne Findlay the solos on Blackout and Rock You Like A Hurricane. I was really waiting to hear Schenker's take on those great solos, especially RYLAH.

3. Is it 1988 again?? Going back to last year's Slayer and Saxon albums, and including this year's Megadeth, Anthrax, Metal Church, and now the new Flotsam & Jetsam, these are all great albums, and in most cases, the best album these bands have done in years. They all capture each band's respective "Classic" sound. It's amazing that all of these albums have been released so close to each other.
Ironically, I was most disappointed with The Book Of Souls out of all of these albums. I'm not saying its my least favorite of the bunch, but within each bands discography, I feel that it's a weaker album in Maiden's than say For All Kings in Anthrax's. Does that make sense?

Anyway, those are the TAC Metal Thoughts of the day.

Offline Lowdz

I'd agree on the recent thrash albums, though I haven't played the F&J as I was never a fan. I do really like the Maiden though. Some great stuff around from the old guard. Maybe they've stopped fucking around with trying to do something different and just embraced what their fans wanted?

Shame about the Schenker. Saw him live a couple of years ago with this lineup and it was awesome. I've never been a Dougie fan at all. He's too pub singer for me, so I'm not surprised at your response. Seeing Schenker was a bucket list gig as I had tickets years ago and the gig was cancelled following one of his meltdowns.

I'd love to see him play with UFO one more time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
New Flots vid for Life Is A Mess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI8rWo2osaU

Kade, I was going to send this track next round. Should've sent it last round..

Anyway, it's easily my favorite track off the new album. They haven't played in this style in a looooooong time. Classic Flots. This album is killer, and Jason Bittner is ridiculous on this album!

Wow, I quite like that.  And I know you will disagree, Tim, but this reminds me of Drift's sound quite a bit, which automatically lifts it in my book.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I actually listened to Drift the other night. It has aged well, let me say that. My thing is that I got into F&J on the Doomsday tour, and the subsequent No Place For Disgrace and When The Strom Comes Down. They were very fast and speedy. It's a vibe that's been recaptured on the new album. Cuatro, their 4th album, signaled a change, similar to what I mentioned in your Y&T thread. Gone was the speed element to their sound. Drift was even mellower, and I use the term "mellower" in the loosest of terms.

I like a lot of the tunes on Drift.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim, is there anything specific that you don't like about Ralf?  I know you aren't the biggest Judas Priest fan, so maybe it's just the Rob Halford sound that doesn't do it for you.   Ralf is one of my favorite singers, so I guess we are off on this opinion a bit lol.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's hard to say really. It's my ears, ya know? :lol

No I'm not the biggest Priest fan, but I never not liked Rob Halford, and I've never attributed my lack of JP love to Halford. But maybe. I've thought about it. With Ralf, I don't know, it's just not pleasurable. And I'm not saying that Tom Araya is.. :lol But I listen to Slayer for a certain experience. I guess I can get my Primal Fear hard rocking fix in many other ways, that I don't have to force myself to get through the vocals.
I'm certainly not saying he's bad or anything, but it's a near miss for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
3. Is it 1988 again?? Going back to last year's Slayer and Saxon albums, and including this year's Megadeth, Anthrax, Metal Church, and now the new Flotsam & Jetsam, these are all great albums, and in most cases, the best album these bands have done in years. They all capture each band's respective "Classic" sound. It's amazing that all of these albums have been released so close to each other.
Ironically, I was most disappointed with The Book Of Souls out of all of these albums. I'm not saying its my least favorite of the bunch, but within each bands discography, I feel that it's a weaker album in Maiden's than say For All Kings in Anthrax's. Does that make sense?

I agree with all of this and have thought the same thing.  The last couple of years or so I guess, bands are getting back to making solid music that can match the older stuff.  It's so refreshing and makes me proud of the genre.  I can see what you are saying with TBOS, but I liked it, cause it's Maiden pushing the envelope a bit.

Fair enough with Ralf too, but I think he's one of the best metal singers around.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll mention one other thing about Ralf. I would say he has done one of, if not the best job, in taking care of his voice in all of hard rock/metal.

Not sure how many are familiar with his work in Tyran Pace, but if you listen to his vocals back then and compare it to his current voice, there is next to no drop off. Great standard set by this guy!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I actually have a Tyran Pace track lined up for the next podcast - not real consistent but their best songs were good.

From what I understand Ralf ain't quite so flash live in recent times.  And that's no knock on the guy - at his age it's a feat to do it even when well rested in the studio.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:01:27 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
What would you rank those Tyran Pace albums Brent?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I had to look em up but I have Long Live metal and Watching You at 80% and Eye to Eye at 71%.    Having said that the better tracks are some of my favourite early metal tracks...........the metal radio show (one and only) that I grew up with played them a bit .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
From what I understand Ralf ain't quite so flash live in recent times.  And that's no knock on the guy - at his age it's a feat to do it even when well rested in the studio.

I've noticed that from some live videos too.  Seems to be losing it a little live.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Brent, I saw you post this the other day. Obviously I've never heard of them.  :lol
Listening now. What is your rating on this?

I'd give it low 70's..

Just gave the new Death Angel a listen. It started off OK, but halfway through I remembered why I don't listen to them. The vocals. It seemed like the longer I listened the more he sounded like the dude from Rage Against The Machine, which to me, might be the most obnoxious vocalist going.

Oh, and I'll be starting a 80's inspired thread shortly. Going to start writing it this week. Hopefully Chad will be back for it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I like the sounds of that thread!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I like the sounds of that thread!

Awesome, as I also expect your participation.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
@Tim  - re the Wisdom , I quite like it.  I would agree with a rating of low-mid 70's but for the last few tracks which I thought dragged it up to around 80%.  I don't listen to much of that grandiose power metal but I do prefer it with a bit less cheese and a bit more of a metal edge and Wisdom fit the bill.  Maybe not quite as good as my other obscure fave Crystal Eyes , but good nonetheless.  Their previous album Marching For Liberty is similar but better....maybe mid 80's rating.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, it's cheesy though. As hell. :lol

I checked a couple of tracks on Marching For Liberty, and it felt a bit stronger, so yeah.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I checked a couple of tracks on Marching For Liberty, and it felt a bit stronger, so yeah.

yeah......plenty cheesy in the subject matter but IMO they have a more authentic metal edge to the music than bands like Rhapsody etc....which I can't take for very long usually.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm with you on Rhapsody Brent

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well saying they're less cheesy than Rhapsody is certainly damning them with false praise. :lol

Offline Lowdz

yeah......plenty cheesy in the subject matter but IMO they have a more authentic metal edge to the music than bands like Rhapsody etc....which I can't take for very long usually.   

I struggle with a lot of these power metal bands. I'll hear a track on YouTube and it will be great, then I play the whole album and it's all the same. Happy clappy church hymns with that galloping drum beat all the fucking time!

The guitarists are always great at what they do but again it's all so samey.

With Rhapsody I love the Dawn of Victory album but can't get into the rest.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Finally got around to having a listen through your podcast Brent, good stuff indeed.  Here's some random thoughts;

Divided Multitude was pretty good.

Alien a band I've looked at a few times and been meaning to check out, good song, reminded me a bit of old school Malmsteen, I liked this one.

Still didn't really dig that Arion.

Classic Priest choice.

Fucking great WASP song too, never gets old.  Perfect album, just perfect.

The Bangalore Choir was fucking awesome.

Love the Lord inclusion.

Still enjoyed the Killer Dwarfs that Jason sent me, good song.

That Panther was solid, JSS sounding amazing as usual, never heard that before.

WTF indeed at the Skrap Mettel, I thought I had heard a song or two before, but don't remember that one lol.

I thought the Tuff Luck was pretty shit.

I like that Jaded Heart.  I've got one or two albums from them but didn't know that song, should dig them out.

Classic Whitesnake, love it.

Tarot are alright, but pretty hit and miss.  Some of their later stuff I have is pretty solid.

Hounds is one of my fav Tage tracks.  Criss' outro solo is just too good for words.

Good Maiden choice, underrated big time.

Malpractice is a great band, only got one album but it's excellent.

The Kirk? track was great.

The Claudio you sent is still great.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Malpractice is a great band, only got one album but it's excellent.

that was actually Taberah but Brent called them Malpractice by mistake
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Kirk was a band I had lined up for your roulette but ran out of rounds  ;D  I think you still have a podcast or two you've missed so there's some more stuff there.

And yeah - when I was rushing to finish off the podcast I must've quickly checked iTunes for the song title and Malpractice have the same song name and I'd forgotten about Taberah  ::)

www.theguitardojo.com.au