Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909648 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
For Kade's roulette we should all change our avatars to Issa  :metal   

How's that Kade?     :metal

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:31:48 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Bush and Anthrax

I felt that after Among The Living they got kind of stale, so for me a change was welcome. And I always felt that Belladonna's voice was to hair/power-metal-like to really fit a trash metal band, he was just lacking that certain kind of agression which I felt some songs needed. But although they changed the singer for White Noise that album left me totally cold.

Now Bush has a much more aggressive and in your face voice and is therefore more suited for their trashier material. But they didn't exactly write songs to use his voice to full potential. The only exception is Stomp 442, which on the whole is not that typical for Anthrax but was the perfect blend of agressive trash metalm song and Bush's voice. And that's why it's my favorite from the Bush era and just an awesome album.

And nowadays Belladonna's voice seems to have matured, imo he has more power and doesn't go constantly for those high vocals so that I like his current style much better and it fits the band that much better.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
For Kade's roulette we should all change our avatars to Issa  :metal   

How's that Kade?     :metal

:rollin

DTF will be renamed Kip & Issa forums.  :lol

Re: Bush and Anthrax

I felt that after Among The Living they got kind of stale, so for me a change was welcome. And I always felt that Belladonna's voice was to hair/power-metal-like to really fit a trash metal band, he was just lacking that certain kind of agression which I felt some songs needed. But although they changed the singer for White Noise that album left me totally cold.

Now Bush has a much more aggressive and in your face voice and is therefore more suited for their trashier material. But they didn't exactly write songs to use his voice to full potential. The only exception is Stomp 442, which on the whole is not that typical for Anthrax but was the perfect blend of agressive trash metalm song and Bush's voice. And that's why it's my favorite from the Bush era and just an awesome album.

And nowadays Belladonna's voice seems to have matured, imo he has more power and doesn't go constantly for those high vocals so that I like his current style much better and it fits the band that much better.

Listening to this new one, I kind of think the same.  Belladonna's voice does not seem like your normal thrash style, but I think his voice is a reason why I'm liking it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol 

I think I will revert until your roulette.  That was a  pretty ordinary 5000th post  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Might save Armored Saint for the roulette.  :tup

That's a good move.
Armored Saint Round!!

Guess I better start listening to them then.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Might save Armored Saint for the roulette.  :tup

That's a good move.
Armored Saint Round!!

YES!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Heavy Metal Hippie

i just listened to the new Metal Church and I'm surprised and happy how strong it is. The multitude of high class riffage and the return and delivery of the metal god Mike Howe (he always reminds me of Michael Coons from Lääz Rockit, because they share a similar style / anybody remember them ?) tempt me to think of a modern metal classic. It just oozes of character and atmosphere.

You can hear how much fun and passion went into the album. Unlike a certain metal institution, where it seems like: "Aw. Shit. It's been already 8 years. Damn, we have to make a new album. Kirk, let's pretend you lost your phone. That'll buy us another year...   

With 3 (thrash) metal juggernauts (Megadeth, Anthrax and Metal Church) releasing early in 2016 how do you rate them against each other ?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:58:21 AM by Heavy Metal Hippie »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
For me it's

1) Megadeth

2) Metal Church
3) Anthrax

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
still need to check out that Metal Church

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Dystopia is probably the all around strongest of the three, though it still may not get the most replays from me.

All three albums do their respective bands justice and it's really a win-win-win for all.
Throw in last year's Slayer album as well.

still need to check out that Metal Church

Yes. Yes you do.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I had a bit of a listen to the Metal Church too.  It was okay, but didn't prick my ears like the Anthrax did.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm not surprised to hear that. The Anthrax has a little more kick to it.

As much as I love the classic Howe Era, Metal Church was highly inconsistent. They're cool and all, but they are garage type classic heavy metal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone

As much as I love the classic Howe Era, Metal Church was highly inconsistent. They're cool and all, but they are garage type classic heavy metal.

I never listened to Metal Church until I received their CD by accident. I kept it and was kind of into it, but they never blew me away. With a name like Metal Church, I expected so much more.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

This is a perfect description really.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The noise complaints to the police would be off the charts if Metal Church was playing in a garage lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not if I lived next door.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Once I was jamming with my college roommate and a couple of his friends in New Jersey, and the police showed up. The cop said they had received a few calls, to which I replied, "Oh yeah, what do they want to hear?".  The guy just laughed and went on his way.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Once I was jamming with my college roommate and a couple of his friends in New Jersey, and the police showed up. The cop said they had received a few calls, to which I replied, "Oh yeah, what do they want to hear?".  The guy just laughed and went on his way.

:clap:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's true.

JJ, checked out the Metal Church yet?
It's classic Howe Era stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

:lol  That's awesome.

I got a story too.  Once me and some mates were drinking and jamming on some covers.  We had this one mate who thought he could sing but he was fucking terrible.  Anyway, he was singing with us and he had way too much to drink and was awful, yet we found it amusing.  The cops eventually turned up and we stopped and said, "Oh shit, sorry, are we too loud?"  The cop replied, "The neighbors said they are fine with the music, just the guy on the mic needs to shut the fuck up!"   :rollin  True story.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome!!  :lol

So happy music has been in my life. It's for memories like these that makes it all worth it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't realise you were a "muso" Tim.    Other than your wall posters of Kip's Chapman Stick , what was your favoured instrument ?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 05:27:07 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't realise you were a "muso" Tim.    Other than your wall posters of Kip's Chapman Stick , what was your favoured instrument ?

:spitcoffee:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

Probably something you could bang (on)  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ha ha very funny.  :lol

Offline Lowdz

My neighbour several years ago came home from the pub at 2am and started playing his tuba  :loser:
We discovered that my guitar and amp were much louder and he didn't do it again. Well, it was either that or the threat of where I would shove his tuba should he be silly enough to do it again.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
reminds me of college when one of my friends lived next door to someone in the dorm that played hip hop fairly loudly.  His response was to place the speakers of his stereo against the wall pointed at the dorm next door and blast Van Halen at full volume.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

Sometimes it has to be done  :biggrin:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It's true.

JJ, checked out the Metal Church yet?
It's classic Howe Era stuff.

Yup checking it out.  You're right, classic Howe era material!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm very happy with it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
hopefully they stick around together and make more albums

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Howe sounding awesome live

https://youtu.be/mRKxMQHvMUQ

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Does anyone know its taken so long for Howe to return to the band.  I know Metal Church went through a few different singers in the last 15 years or so and it just seems like Howe fits the band perfectly.