Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909493 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sad news of course.

I do remember being VERY disappointed when that first album came out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Hey ozzy - sad news.     The opinion on the Blue Murder varies a bit around here.   I think it was half killer , half filler but I do love some tracks on it.  I would've also been interested to hear how it might have sounded with some of the singers that were supposed to have been demoing for it (Ray Gillen, Mark Free).

Screaming Blue Murder is a good live album too if you can find it.

I'd agree with that. The lyrics (for once) put me off (Sex Child? Really?) on a couple of tracks but its a decent album. I don't mind Sykes' voice, it fits the music. His (over)use of pinch harmonics grates a bit after a while. Valley of The Kings, Jelly Roll, Ptolemy, Billy, great stuff. The ballads were decent. His output after this has been poor.

Offline ozzy554

I get that and I'll admit the album isnt perfect by any means :lol

I just liked the good parts of the album enough to overlook some of the other stuff
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The Blue Murder album wouldve been way better had they gotten Ray Gillen on vocals.

Offline ozzy554

Yeah ray was a fantastic singer. I love his version of the eternal idol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Lowdz

Yeah ray was a fantastic singer. I love his version of the eternal idol

Yup me too

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Still love me some Tony Martin, but yeah those versions with Ray are awesome indeed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The lack of studio material over Ray Gillen's career is criminal (esp metal)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The lack of studio material over Ray Gillen's career is criminal (esp metal)

So much truth here.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Ray should have been a mega star. The live recording with Sabbath is very cool to hear. Somewhat poor quality, but still cool

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Just had a listen to the new album by The Treatment. It's straight up no frills hard rock, nothing new, but I enjoy that style. I like the production and the vocals, but I think the songwriting is bland and too weak for them to pull off the classic hard rock sound. When you're doing something this familiar, you better do it damn well to stand out from the pack. From one listen, I don't think this one has that, unfortunately.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

Just had a listen to the new album by The Treatment. It's straight up no frills hard rock, nothing new, but I enjoy that style. I like the production and the vocals, but I think the songwriting is bland and too weak for them to pull off the classic hard rock sound. When you're doing something this familiar, you better do it damn well to stand out from the pack. From one listen, I don't think this one has that, unfortunately.

Played it this morning whilst working and having never heard a note by them. Had them in the 70s Zep clone category but was pleasantly surprised. Really enjoyed it and loved the singers voice

Offline Lowdz

New Dynazty track.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_8y-lmm08E

Pretty standard fair for the band. I like the riffing. Singer is top notch. I'm not sure I like the dance music keyboards. Chorus is a bit happy sounding for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Everything you say is true, Lowdz!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Metal Church tune.

https://bravewords.com/news/metal-church-release-reset-lyric-video

I like it. Definitely has that classic feel.

Of course the riff is pretty familiar.

Offline ozzy554

New Metal Church tune.

https://bravewords.com/news/metal-church-release-reset-lyric-video

I like it. Definitely has that classic feel.

Of course the riff is pretty familiar.

It is a nice track :metal

I hope they have at least one slower song to show off the more melodic side of mikes voice. Something in a similar vein to Anthem to the estranged which is my favorite song by them.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Anthem To The Estranged is awesome!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Everything you say is true, Lowdz!

True... but when is Dynazty "Hard Rock / Classic Metal"??   :biggrin:  I posted this in the 'Modern prog/metal' thread earlier this morning.  Definitely leaning towards the poppy-metal side of things, but still a fun listen.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Played it this morning whilst working and having never heard a note by them. Had them in the 70s Zep clone category but was pleasantly surprised. Really enjoyed it and loved the singers voice

I liked the singer too, but the songwriting didn't stick with me. Might give it another listen and see if it improves. I'd put them more in the AC/DC category than Zep. Both bands have had endless clones.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

I liked the singer too, but the songwriting didn't stick with me. Might give it another listen and see if it improves. I'd put them more in the AC/DC category than Zep. Both bands have had endless clones.

The Zep comparison was before I'd heard them. I found the album pretty instant but I was busy at the time. Looking forward to cranking it in the car next week with the windows open in the sun. The U.K equivalent of hitting the highway with the top down  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Like that Metal Church tune!!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Coming back to the new Anthrax I have to change my opinion. What I first thought of as a disappointment has turned into a very strong and enjoyable record. Took me some time and I've nearly given it up but this was a real grower. But it still can't touch Worship Music.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Dynazty track.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_8y-lmm08E

Pretty standard fair for the band. I like the riffing. Singer is top notch. I'm not sure I like the dance music keyboards. Chorus is a bit happy sounding for me.

Could they be anymore blatant than ripping off their own songs.  This is exact rip of Starlight, or Incarnation or Dawn of Your Creation.   Bloody hell.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I like Dynazty - and was an early fan -  but to me , on the whole,  the talent of the singer is a cut above the band/songs.   They certainly get a thrashing on DTF roulettes  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I like Dynazty - and was an early fan -  but to me , on the whole,  the talent of the singer is a cut above the band/songs.   They certainly get a thrashing on DTF roulettes  :lol

Still only know Reantus, but it's fantastic.  Can get over the recycling in this song though.  It's worse than Martensson to be honest.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Coming back to the new Anthrax I have to change my opinion. What I first thought of as a disappointment has turned into a very strong and enjoyable record. Took me some time and I've nearly given it up but this was a real grower. But it still can't touch Worship Music.

Worship Music took a long time to click with me, but when it did, it did big time. I have taken to the new one a lot quicker.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Worship Music took a long time to click with me, but when it did, it did big time. I have taken to the new one a lot quicker.

Both clicked right off the bat for me

Speaking of Anthrax, has anyone checked out their new video for Blood Eagle Wings?  I think its over the top horrific, not something that I would expect from Anthrax.  Maybe Slayer or a death metal band.  Didn't like it

Offline Kwyjibo

The video is shit, don't know what they were thinking and it doesn't fit their image imo.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well Kade...........just got the news that my worst band of all time (The Proclaimers) are doing a tour out here.  And on the same promo - just when you thought it couldn't get any worse - was a gig called Totally 80's.

Check out this line up:

MARTIKA (Toy Soldiers, Love Thy will be Done), BERLIN (Take My Breath Away), LIMAHL of KAJAGOOGOO (Never Ending Story, Too Shy), KATRINA (Walking On Sunshine), PAUL LEKAKIS (Boom Boom Boom), MEN WITHOUT HATS (Safety Dance), STACEY Q (Two Of Hearts), plus Aussie Faves WA WA NEE (BITCH!!  :hat  ) and REAL LIFE. TOTALLY 80s! Too Much Fun!

Still tossing up whether to go to Primal Fear - you can get a meet and greet package for not much more than a regular DT ticket.  Trouble is I don't know anyone who is interested and I'm not someone who generally likes going solo to gigs.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That has to be the worst 80's lineup anyone could ever put together.  Except Wa Wa Nee, obviously.  Real Life's one hit Send Me An Angel is actually really good too.

I'm with ya Brent, I don't like to go to gigs on my own either.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm not someone who generally likes going solo to gigs.

Geez... I'd never get to any concerts if this was the case.  Other than Rush, I can't remember the last time I had a concert partner.  Everything of the past couple of years has been solo - Queensryche, Kamelot, Nightwish, Evergrey, S-X, Avnatasia and DT (in 2 weeks).  Also think I'll partake in PF when they're here in June.  But I think they're touring with Turilli-Rhapsody?  Not too interested in that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Geez... I'd never get to any concerts if this was the case.  Other than Rush, I can't remember the last time I had a concert partner.  Everything of the past couple of years has been solo - Queensryche, Kamelot, Nightwish, Evergrey, S-X, Avnatasia and DT (in 2 weeks).  Also think I'll partake in PF when they're here in June.  But I think they're touring with Turilli-Rhapsody?  Not too interested in that.

That's just cause you're a tough cunt.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone

I'm with you, Jingle. I've gone to so many shows alone...dozens.

Offline Kwyjibo

I also don't like to go alone, but a lot of the times there was no one to accompany me for various reasons. If I didn't go alone then I would have maybe seen only half the concerts I have.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I am lucky , as I brainwashed my little sister as a kid (her favourite bands are Queensryche, DT, VH,Nightwish etc...)  and she accompanies me to almost every gig I attend.   So perhaps if I didn't have that advantage I may have reluctantly gone alone a few times.  I have lost contact with most of my muso/metalhead mates for various reasons.

www.theguitardojo.com.au