Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909943 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Well.......unlike almost everyone else I am not feeling the love for the new Anthrax.  Everything on it could qualify as "good" but nothing is grabbing me.    I can't find much of what I associate with my favourite Anthrax tracks- big hooks, frantic pace/thrashing energy.   It would be pushing it to call this a thrash album at all.  I find a lot of it to be plodding pace , little energy and very pedestrian drumming etc.......with a slight whiff of nu-metal through much of it.   And when they do speed it up (Zero Tolerance) it's all pretty generic Anthrax.

The stand out for me is the instrumental midsection of Blood Eagle Wings but then it's back to the plodding chorus.

I would rate it around 75%  :-\   

So, I'm not the only one. Gave it another listen yesterday and while it was better than the first time, it's still a disappointment for me. No way this comes close to Worship Music.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well.......unlike almost everyone else I am not feeling the love for the new Anthrax.  Everything on it could qualify as "good" but nothing is grabbing me.    I can't find much of what I associate with my favourite Anthrax tracks- big hooks, frantic pace/thrashing energy.   It would be pushing it to call this a thrash album at all.  I find a lot of it to be plodding pace , little energy and very pedestrian drumming etc.......with a slight whiff of nu-metal through much of it.   And when they do speed it up (Zero Tolerance) it's all pretty generic Anthrax.

The stand out for me is the instrumental midsection of Blood Eagle Wings but then it's back to the plodding chorus.

I would rate it around 75%  :-\   

Honestly, I've never thought of Anthrax to be thrash anyway. And I agree with you about Charlie. He is way better than what is one this album. Frank Bello owns this album though!

That said, I am enjoying this album very much. And while listening, I was thinking about how good the recent Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax albums are.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Mob Rules;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m14ZfESsWlQ

Nothing new here, but that doesn't matter at all.  Always get solid stuff from these guys.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Now that I can get into.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You'll be able to hear the wolf howl from where you are Tim...................when he realises there is no gig in his state.   Look out!   :corn   

I'll go with you Kade if you want to come to Melbourne  ;)   They're literally playing small pub type gigs.........the place in Melbourne only holds 300 afaik.   Lots of dumbass promoters booking unrealistic touring prospects and then cancelling at the moment - hopefully this does okay.   As I predicted Graham Bonnet has been cancelled due to poor sales.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Man, and I thought it sucked to be a prog/metal fan in NA!  PF + Luca-Rhapsody are playing Toronto June 1st.  Guess they're heading down under right after that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Never even heard of the venue they're playing here, but I imagine it's similarly sized to the venue in Melbourne. Surprised that they're touring here. Even though I'm not into them, I hope it does well.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm still thinking about Brent's Anthrax post...

I've never considered them a great band. Never thought Belladonna was a strong vocalist. Never thought a ton of the guitar work. But they have made a lot of enjoyable music, though all of their albums have gaping holes.

But I have found FAK and WM as pretty high quality wise. I like the guitar playing on this album and it feels solid all the way through.

Offline Lowdz

That's probably why I like the anthrax - it doesn't sound like Anthrax. I actually prefer joeys voice on this than the old albums.
I gave a listen to PoT and a few tracks stood out but it didn't wow me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
For fucks sake, Sydney and Melbourne only.  I was planning a winter Sydney trip at some stage so I could make it work.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
How far is Sydney from you? By car? By plane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

10 hours by car.  Plane would be 1-2 hours I think.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nice.

Definitely!
 :metal

Offline Lowdz

Got to be worth it. It's PF  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This one got me to :spitcoffee:

Underneath a Blabbermouth story about Blackmore needing an op to remove some sort of gout from a finger joint

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Lowdz

Saw it on Facebook. Looked nasty, and not great timing. The extra practice might have stirred it up.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Saw it on Facebook. Looked nasty, and not great timing. The extra practice might have stirred it up.

I hope it's just his finger you are talking about  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

Newton Social Club holds around 300, yeah I hope it sells out.
I'm not a fan of PF, but might be tempted to go along for a look.
The venue is only a 10 minute drive so I should make the effort.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Primal Fear sure deserves to be playing in front of more than 300 people. And that's if it sells out lol. Sounds criminal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I can honestly say that back in the day I played Melbourne in front of more people than Primal Fear  :lol

And yet Steel Panther would get 3000+ here

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Newton Social Club holds around 300, yeah I hope it sells out.
I'm not a fan of PF, but might be tempted to go along for a look.
The venue is only a 10 minute drive so I should make the effort.

Do you reckon tickets would still be available on the door for something like this, or would it most probably sell out?

Offline gazinwales

Your guess is as good as mine mate  ;) ;D
But I would like to think that a band of PF stature would easily sell out this venue and even be moved to something bigger.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
They bloody deserve to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That sounds like it could be really cool

Offline ozzy554

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tony-iommi-wants-to-record-new-music-with-ex-black-sabbath-singer-tony-martin/

This makes me really excited. If only just for the Headless cross and TYR re-releases.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Saw that and meant to post. Looking forward to Cross Purposes as well. Hopefully a live show ends up as a bonus disc along the way.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tony-iommi-wants-to-record-new-music-with-ex-black-sabbath-singer-tony-martin/

This makes me really excited. If only just for the Headless cross and TYR re-releases.

This is awesome! Wolf is going to pass out when he reads this.

I would've bet the farm that Tony Martin would never have recorded new music with Sabbath again. Maybe a tour under a different moniker? (I know Martin has toured under Headless Cross, so they could easily use that)

But that's getting too far ahead; the reissues will be overdue and very cool. I hope they include the Russia show with the HC deluxe

Offline ozzy554

If this happens I hope there is a U.S release so I don't have to get them as imports
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Amazing news.  As I stated in the Sabbath thread, a full album would be nice, but anything is gold.  Never thought I'd ever see Martin and Iommi hook up again.

Offline gazinwales

Nor me, but TM has been pretty quiet about his time with Sabbath and as though he will be rewarded for his patience.
I played the Forbidden CD yesterday and apart from the horrendous first song, the album is pretty good.
Iommi wants to remix it and it does need it, and as I found out it also has a killer Japan only track.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nor me, but TM has been pretty quiet about his time with Sabbath and as though he will be rewarded for his patience.
I played the Forbidden CD yesterday and apart from the horrendous first song, the album is pretty good.
Iommi wants to remix it and it does need it, and as I found out it also has a killer Japan only track.

Loser Gets it All.  Probably top 3 of the whole album, crazy it wasn't included on the original album.