Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909452 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I should've quoted Deathless' "Don's voice is hot" before he edited it  ;D     

I would be interested to see how a studio project turns out but Don will need a lot of technology to get him through.  Zero interest in seeing them live - not that they would tour Australia anyway.   Although Steve Augeri and some dude from Kansas are touring together - God knows who will go and see that :lol   Might be a great gig but not enough people out here would have a clue who they are.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Shit, after all my initial negative comments when samples were released, I'm actually quite liking this Nordic Union.  Purchased it with the Avantasia and PF just cause it was $20 and really had no expectations from it at all.  It's obvious recycled, thoughtless, generic material, but fuck, I'm liking it.  At least one song a bit more epic or out of the box would have been appreciated instead of just 11, four minute rehashes, but it is what it is.  Production is good and Ronnie sounds great, and makes it much more enjoyable.  And there's no real bad or cringe worthy songs which keeps it strength throughout.  I wouldn't give it the ratings it's been getting but enjoyable if you can get past the blatant rehashing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So, got through a full listen of the Inglorious last night and it was ok. Not great, but decent.

I'm finding it a grower - at times it's a bit too much the "plodding bluesy rock" (I was expecting a bit more upbeat after the killer Breakaway single) but I am liking it more on each listen.  I hardly ever listen to this style (outside of Badlands) and so maybe it seems a bit fresher to me than it otherwise might.   Ridiculous singer too - I might even listen to some TSO now  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
It's still growing on me too. The bluesy stuff is great, like Holy Water, and the intro of Warning leading into that high tempo rocker. Breakaway is amazing though, with the energy and groove in that riff.
The weaker part for me is the metal stuff near the end that really doesn't suit them so much, but it's still mostly good too.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:33:36 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The metal queen is back  :huh:

Thoughts Chad?

https://youtu.be/1LgBv3l8Rx4

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The fuck was that?  I lasted until the second line about washing her car or some shit.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 I knew you would love it Kade.  ;D I called out Chad because I know he is a bit of a Lee Aaron fanboy.   She has always had quirky , fun videos but that was all a bit much for me :lol .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I knew you would love it Kade.  ;D I called out Chad because I know he is a bit of a Lee Aaron fanboy.   She has always had quirky , fun videos but that was all a bit much for me :lol .

Never heard of her, and I won't be exploring any of her work anytime soon.  Banned for my roulette too now Chad, don't bother.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not that there's many fans but, new Blaze Bayley;

Pretty simple and stripped back, but solid, could be good.  I'm looking forward to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk2dK8k_uzE&feature=youtu.be

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I preferred the Lee Aaron  :rollin    The YT comments are very positive , so must just be me.    I do have some of his albums (there's some really good stuff on Blood and Belief etc...) so it's not as if I have anything against him.  But I found that pretty pissweak.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
As I said, stripped back, but yeah, it's not as layered as his old stuff.  I've always just liked what he does, but by the sounds of this one and the last one, the production vales aren't as strong as they use to be.  Budget probably.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The first two Blaze albums are killer. Everything that I've heard from that point on, starting with Blood & Belief, has been a big downgrade. I think he has gone through quite a few line up changes, so maybe that has something to do with it.

This new song is meh, nothing I would go out of my way to play again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Promise And Terror kicks all kinds of ass!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Never heard that one, I'll check it out

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Never heard that one, I'll check it out

It was his first album after his wife passed away. The last 4 tracks are basically a suite dealing with it and it is absolutely mindblowing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Quirky fun videos are fine... 25 years ago, and when the tunes are good.  This wasn't a very good tune, and just a dumb-ass video.

Hands On and Whatchya Do To My Body are where it's at - the former is the better song; the latter is the better video.  Could be that my 17-year old teenage crush is skewing my bias... but, her 80s output was great stuff.

This... not so much.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yes, a great metal album.  One of my favs is The Man Who Would Not Die also, that's a killer album.

Offline Lowdz

The metal queen is back  :huh:

Thoughts Chad?

https://youtu.be/1LgBv3l8Rx4

That was pretty awful. And I like some female fronted hard rock. I still would though  ;)

So the new Anthrax. Awesome. Absolutely love it. Joey is unrecognisable but nails it. I haven't really listened to them since SoWN as that one didn't do it for me, though I have sampled them here and there. This is a cracker though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Paul, do you rate it higher than Worship Music?

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I've had one listen to the new Anthrax and frankly, I was really disappointed. So many mediocre tracks with some uninspired riffing and some melodies that just plodded along. Hopefully this is a grower.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

Only heard WM once I think. Really enjoyed my first listen of the new one. Other than Spreading the Disease I wouldn't say I was a fan.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Only heard WM once I think. Really enjoyed my first listen of the new one. Other than Spreading the Disease I wouldn't say I was a fan.

WM took a while to sink in. The first many listens, I didn't think it was that special. But then it hit me all at once and I think it's awesome. Just got the new one (and the Redemption) today and have just loaded it onto my iPod. Will listen to shortly.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I am here to happily report that FOR ALL KINGS KICKS TOTAL ASS!!!!! :metal :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I am here to happily report that FOR ALL KINGS KICKS TOTAL ASS!!!!! :metal :metal

Yup, I'm really liking it upon first listen!  :metal

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
no hurry, but is there an update on the next Ben & Brent show?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
no hurry, but is there an update on the next Ben & Brent show?

Not really  ;D   Still sitting on my old PC 80% finished.  I do think about it each few days but am still in the "crossover period" where we have taken possession of a new property plus still having to look after the sold one , gradually relocating a home office , (hopefully) rebuilding a business and the big move is this weekend.   I have also been sick as a dog for the best part of a month with chest infections etc......

Certainly not forgotten but what little time I have had was spent making sure I kick some degree of ass in Evermind's roulette.  :metal  Finally got that playlist down from mega huge to just large  :lol

I expect there to be a March edition but that's all I can commit to  :)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:30:36 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Whenever you get a chance Brent. Looking forward to it!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Also checking in as eagerly awaiting.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well.......unlike almost everyone else I am not feeling the love for the new Anthrax.  Everything on it could qualify as "good" but nothing is grabbing me.    I can't find much of what I associate with my favourite Anthrax tracks- big hooks, frantic pace/thrashing energy.   It would be pushing it to call this a thrash album at all.  I find a lot of it to be plodding pace , little energy and very pedestrian drumming etc.......with a slight whiff of nu-metal through much of it.   And when they do speed it up (Zero Tolerance) it's all pretty generic Anthrax.

The stand out for me is the instrumental midsection of Blood Eagle Wings but then it's back to the plodding chorus.

I would rate it around 75%  :-\   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I figured you would have rated it much higher.  Maybe it will grow.

Just try listening to Breathing Lightning and This Battle Chose Us by themselves.  Those are the two standouts to me and I love them!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I figured you would have rated it much higher.  Maybe it will grow.

Just try listening to Breathing Lightning and This Battle Chose Us by themselves.  Those are the two standouts to me and I love them!

Will do.

Random Comment : Omnium Gatherum play some nice music if it wasn't for the freaking growlies  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like a band I should check out.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
let the cock blocks begin  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:lol

That makes me want to check them out even more.  :lol