Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909644 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Final Call is the one I referred to in my review as "bordering on thrash"............heavy stuff and yes - certainly one of the best few songs.  All my favourite songs on it are the ones that aren't the usual formula.  Nothing bad on it though.

I wasn't expecting this to top DTB, cause I bloody love that album, yet I find Rulebreaker a bit of a different beast in a few ways, but really it could end up just as solid for me.  There's nothing bad on here as you say, and it's just a band putting together 13 excellent songs pulling no punches, no excuses, not giving a fuck and just doing their fucking thing by writing great metal.  Everything works and nothing feels unneccesary or out of place, great flow throughout.  Magnus has really taken control of this band in a good way and they have really stepped it up with the past two albums.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
well said Wolf!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks mate.  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The title track is extremely catchy!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I do give Rulebreaker a slight edge over DTB.  Think I might have to listen to both back-to-back tomorrow and render a final judgment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK, I just ordered the Amazon mp3 of Rulebreaker. Started with Final Call.  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

So, got through a full listen of the Inglorious last night and it was ok. Not great, but decent.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
OK, I just ordered the Amazon mp3 of Rulebreaker. Started with Final Call.  :metal

sweet!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The title track is extremely catchy!

It is, getting better each listen too.

I do give Rulebreaker a slight edge over DTB.  Think I might have to listen to both back-to-back tomorrow and render a final judgment.

I don't think I could make a call for a while yet.  Still don't see the new one taking over DTB, but it certainly has the potential to.

Such an Evil Spell vibe on this song, love it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck, new Malmsteen coming in April with Malmsteen doing all lead vox himself.  :facepalm:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I actually don't mind Malmsteen's vocals, although I'm not sure I could listen to a whole album of it. I'll take it over Ripper Owens though.

*flame shield up*
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I was a huge Yngwie fan at one point but really haven't bothered much since the Vescera/Leven sort of era.   I will save my money and spend it on some of Yngwie's favourite donuts.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I was a huge Yngwie fan at one point but really haven't bothered much since the Vescera/Leven sort of era.   I will save my money and spend it on some of Yngwie's favourite donuts.

isn't that any type of donut?

Quite liked the two Ripper albums myself, especially the first one was very good.  The last album Malmsteen did was an absolute abomination.

I actually don't mind Malmsteen's vocals, although I'm not sure I could listen to a whole album of it. I'll take it over Ripper Owens though.

*flame shield up*

I'm sure there will be at least half instrumentals.  The last piece of shit I think only had 3 songs with vocals, Malmsteens vocals that is, it's terrible.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I never listened to Spellbound. Are even the instrumentals sub par?

I wonder if it's gotten to the point that nobody wants to bother singing for him anymore, so he is forced to do it himself

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone

*flame shield up*

The last time I heard Malmsteen sing...I was scared. Has he improved?  :lol  Has he really burned that many bridges that nobody will work with him or does he really want his albums to get worse? 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Agree with Kade. The first Ripper album, Perpetual Flame, is excellent. Didn't bother with the second after hearing Yngwie did half the vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Not interested in anything Yngwie has to offer these days. The last album where there was any quality control and thought put into it was Facing The Animal, and that was an age ago.
I'd give another Concerto a go but that's about it.
And Yngwie singing? About as palatable as me playing guitar.

There's so much better out there in the genre to bother with him.

It pains me to say it as he was my musical idol when he actually gave a fuck.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I never listened to Spellbound. Are even the instrumentals sub par?

I wonder if it's gotten to the point that nobody wants to bother singing for him anymore, so he is forced to do it himself

The instrumentals were just the same old thing so I didn't bother with it and just wrote it off.  It sounds liike shit too.

Agree with Kade. The first Ripper album, Perpetual Flame, is excellent. Didn't bother with the second after hearing Yngwie did half the vocals.

Relentless is still Tim singing, but only half the tracks or so have vocals.  The story behind the album was that the songs were recorded during the Perpetual Flame sessions and Yngwie just made a new album out of them with some new instrumentals to fill the space but didn't even let Tim know what was going on.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Relentless is still Tim singing, but only half the tracks or so have vocals. 

So I was half right! :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah kinda, I guess.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I knew the Ripper/Yngwie match up was doomed when Relentless was released and that was the first Tim knew of it lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I knew the Ripper/Yngwie match up was doomed when Relentless was released and that was the first Tim knew of it lol

Yeah, pretty much was the beginning of the end.  The good thing is, is that neither have any really negative to say about each other.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Ripper must've done what he was told and supplied the donuts  :smiley:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Ripper must've done what he was told and supplied the donuts  :smiley:

Krispy Kreme do you think?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Donut King because Yngwie is the donut (and shred) king.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

oh, of course.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

double whammy

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Yngwie doesn't like donuts.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--wNB5uZQwE     :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
lol

Offline Deathless

So apparently the guys in Dokken are trying to reunite again, according to Jeff Pilson. He said they are all good friends again and it's just a matter of his schedule being open for them to do it.

Honestly, I would go watch. Don's voice is shot, but Mick and Jeff are both great singers and can fill in for him. It'd be cool to see them perform live again as a four-piece.

I'm sure we'll hear about George and Don fighting again within the month though.  :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:31:34 AM by Deathless »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Dokken has probably reunited and broken up a dozen times just since this rumor started

Offline Lowdz

Although I love 80s Dokken, Dons voice is gone and I don't think George is interested in rehashing the old sound. He did come quite close with the Sweet Lynch thing I guess so maybe. I have no interest in that modern rock sound George seems to love now.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm pretty sure we'll hear from George soon saying he doesn't know anything about this.

Offline Deathless

I'm pretty sure we'll hear from George soon saying he doesn't know anything about this.

From the same article.. lol.

Lynch last year told Glide Magazine about the possibility of a DOKKEN reunion: "Of course, that comes and goes every couple of years [laughs], so who knows. But we're talking again about that."
Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dokken-is-working-really-hard-to-reunite-classic-lineup-for-tour-says-jeff-pilson/#4WtwPvzZ5wECuZdw.99

:lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Yeah, it's a don't believe it until we see it situation.