Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909454 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm surprised they don't already have distribution down there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
There's an Amazon distribution warehouse about 6km's down the road from me.  Even when I order free/standard 2-day shipping, shit shows up the next day.

I'll bet they'd ship pre-orders a few days early to Oz too, aiming to have things arrive on release date.

That's just under 4 miles for the US people.

As far as the shipping, I get that one day turnover with New Egg a lot. They have a warehouse in New Jersey so sometimes if I order first thing in the morning, it's on my doorstep the next afternoon.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
As far as Amazon and Australia goes I think it's just another example of this geo-blocking (geographical licensed product)................so we're stuck paying double what most of the world pays for iTunes (because they can) and so it's often cheaper/same to buy a CD here.

I tend to go digital anyway these days as there's no "metal stores" here now and I don't want to get into a punch up with Kade over the last copy of Primal Fear in JB :lol
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:44:56 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
As far as Amazon and Australia goes I think it's just another example of this geo-blocking (geographical licensed product)................so we're stuck paying double what most of the world pays for iTunes (because they can) and so it's often cheaper/same to buy a CD here.

I tend to go digital anyway these days as there's no "metal stores" here now and I don't want to get into a punch up with Kade over the last copy of Primal Fear in JB :lol

Damn right!  I'll fight you for it haha.

I think Utopia is probably the only good metal/hard rock store left in Australia it seems.  In Brisbane we use to have Skinny's which was sort of the same, but a bit less range, but I got everything there.  I was devastated when it closed down.

I'll bet they'd ship pre-orders a few days early to Oz too, aiming to have things arrive on release date.

You're probably right, I've just never tried it.  Might do it with Redemption and Headspace.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Preorders on Amazon Germany are delivered on release day, sometimes even a day earlier. Other orders within 1-2 days, if they are available, which most cds are.

For physical products I go to a shop in Cologne called Saturn. They pride themselves with the world's largest cd collection and while I don't know if that is true, they really have a large selection. Unless you're looking for some really obscure stuff you probably find it there, mostly at reasonable prices.

And the local record store (a smaller subsidiary from above mentioned Saturn) has the more mainstream stuff on release day. But they are not that good on back catalogues.

And I tend to get more and more music in digital form, mostly as mp3 from amazon.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It's a shame that music stores are such a rare site nowadays

Offline gazinwales

Amazon UK usually ship the new releases the day before release to Australia.
It used to be about a week, but past 6 months it's been taking 2 weeks plus to get here.

Unlike a certain German label who ship after the release date, who I will never order from again.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It used to be about a week, but past 6 months it's been taking 2 weeks plus to get here.

Unlike a certain German label who ship after the release date, who I will never order from again.

What's the german one?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Too many notes on one stage.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
So it's basically G3, except it's G5 now? ???

Offline Kwyjibo

Too many notes on one stage.

That was my first thought too. Doesn't really get me excited, and it's US only so far.

If Nuno has time to spare he should complete that Extreme album that's supposedly in the making for some time now.

And Yngwie? I fear that he will shred even more than normal when paired against other guitarists.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

If Nuno has time to spare he should complete that Extreme album that's supposedly in the making for some time now.

And Yngwie? I fear that he will shred even more than normal when paired against other guitarists.

Agreed on both counts.  I'm not sure I fancy Nuno as an instrumental artist but happy to be proven wrong......keen to hear some new Extreme though.  That Boston DVD is a corker.

Yngwie was sorta funny in G3.............he would often move way off to the side of the stage and try and "one up" the other guys.  Typical stuff.

And Zakk is way past his best from what I have seen in recent years - and not enough variety in his playing to be in an instrumental group IMO.  And I was a huge fan of his first few Ozzy albums.

Vai will carry this I reckon.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Agreed on both counts.  I'm not sure I fancy Nuno as an instrumental artist but happy to be proven wrong......keen to hear some new Extreme though.  That Boston DVD is a corker.

Yngwie was sorta funny in G3.............he would often move way off to the side of the stage and try and "one up" the other guys.  Typical stuff.

And Zakk is way past his best from what I have seen in recent years - and not enough variety in his playing to be in an instrumental group IMO.  And I was a huge fan of his first few Ozzy albums.

Vai will carry this I reckon.

Yeah Nuno's the interesting one here. Not much instrumental work to fall back on, though midnight express was the best track on WFTP. Maybe he'll just do Extreme songs and sing them himself.

I have no interest in Yngwie these days. Disappeared up his own huge arse years ago. Such a shame.

ZW has never interested me at all. Fast pentagon ice with too many pinch harmonics? No thanks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Not interested in any of them at all these days. Zakk wrote the best music of them imo, but even he just falls back on the same stuff these days.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Now Paul..........the way you're going we're going to have to add Lowdzian to our list of languages around here.

So Zakk did ice at the Pentagon?  :rollin

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
translation - pentatonic licks.

I'm learning a new language. Now that I'm fluent in kinginese, I'm branching out.

Offline Kwyjibo

I'm not sure if this is all instrumental. I could imagine Nuno and Zakk singing some of their songs and Nuno doesn't have to sing Extreme stuff, he's got a lot of other material (Nuno, Mourning Widows, Population 1, Drama Gods) where he was the lead singer. Although those tunes are probably not that well known outside his fanbase.

And no, Midnight Express wasn't the best track on punchline, in fact I thought that, apart from the "chorus", it was one of the weaker instrumental tracks around.

Offline Lowdz

translation - pentatonic licks.

I'm learning a new language. Now that I'm fluent in kinginese, I'm branching out.

Good to know I have someone I can communicate with. Obviously I need to proof read everything I type into this expensive piece of garbage.

And Kwyjibo, I would rather listen to Yngwie shred away than listen to any of Nuno's solo shit. And I even bought some of it. Made WFTP sound like a great album.  :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline gazinwales

What's the german one?

A-FM Records, bloody useless, and Nuclear Blast don't often send before the release date either.

Offline Kwyjibo

And Kwyjibo, I would rather listen to Yngwie shred away than listen to any of Nuno's solo shit. And I even bought some of it. Made WFTP sound like a great album.  :biggrin:

OK, different tastes I guess. I sometimes rank Punchline as the best Extreme album and I really like the Mourning Widows stuff. The rest of Nuno's output is at least decent.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, Nuclear Blast shipped my Avantasia order a day or two after release date. But it arrived really quickly (I think seven or eight days) so I can live with that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
On my second listen of Inglorious. So far I'd say it's definitely a solid hard rock album, and I enjoyed it all from start to finish, some more than others of course. It meets my expectations based on the singles. That singer busts out some cool high spots, and the sound of everything is great. It's heavier in moments than I was expecting, but had plenty of variety.

Offline Lowdz

On my second listen of Inglorious. So far I'd say it's definitely a solid hard rock album, and I enjoyed it all from start to finish, some more than others of course. It meets my expectations based on the singles. That singer busts out some cool high spots, and the sound of everything is great. It's heavier in moments than I was expecting, but had plenty of variety.

Wasn't too impressed with the last single but the first one was good. Good to finally see it released. I've been Facebook friends with these guys since they got together and it seems like years ago.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I'm not digging the songs I've heard from Inglorious.

What's the german one?

A-FM Records, bloody useless, and Nuclear Blast don't often send before the release date either.

I've never tried buying directly from the record label.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Anyone know anything about this.  Saw it instore last week and the descriptions ounds interesting.  I know nothing about them and haven't heard a thing from them.  The sticker on the front said it's Biff Byford's fav band or something.

Hard rockers C.O.P UK are set to drop their third full-length, 'No Place For Heaven,' and it is an absolute cracker!

Led by the soaring leathery voice of Dale Radcliffe, the stadium rockers pound through 11 numbers that draw parallels to AOR groups Journey and Gotthard, as well Euro-Power Metal bands Helloween and Rage.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't imagine Biff would lead you in the wrong direction!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Pretty sure I checked them out - I don't have it , so assuming I wasn't too fussed about them.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't imagine Biff would lead you in the wrong direction!

That's kinda what I was thinking.

Pretty sure I checked them out - I don't have it , so assuming I wasn't too fussed about them.

Fair enough mate.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Wasn't too impressed with the last single but the first one was good. Good to finally see it released. I've been Facebook friends with these guys since they got together and it seems like years ago.

I can't remember what one was the most recent single, but the first one was definitely my favourite of them anyway (Until I Die was first wasn't it?). There are also several heavier songs that aren't quite what I expected from Frontiers' advertising, in a good way.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmm...maybe I should still give it a listen then.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Rulebreaker  :metal

Fucking hell, Final Call is a bonus track?  You gotta be fucking kidding me, it could easily be the best thing on here.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Final Call is the one I referred to in my review as "bordering on thrash"............heavy stuff and yes - certainly one of the best few songs.  All my favourite songs on it are the ones that aren't the usual formula.  Nothing bad on it though.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I can't remember what one was the most recent single, but the first one was definitely my favourite of them anyway (Until I Die was first wasn't it?). There are also several heavier songs that aren't quite what I expected from Frontiers' advertising, in a good way.

Unaware. Was a bit modern rock for me on first listen. Just put the album on now so will get to it in a bit.
What a great voice. This guy is a talent.