Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909866 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Still need to listen to Resurrection Kings (I think).  I did enjoy the Revolution Saints - surprised you didn't Paul.

Last in Line - not interested at all.

Nordic Union - I'm with Paul... I don't know enough about Martenssen's back-catalogue.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't have the time or interest to give any of those albums a listen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

I don't have the time or interest to give any of those albums a listen.

I would say you could probably live without hearing any of them. None of them are in any way essential listening.

Some of them are available on metalstreaming.net if you change your mind.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:11:26 PM by Lowdz »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Nordic Union - I'm with Paul... I don't know enough about Martenssen's back-catalogue.

Even aside from any Martensson replays I thought there were zero stand out songs and half of them were typical Frontiers cookies.  I seem to be alone on this one as it's getting great reviews all round pretty much.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I still gotta listen to Nordic Union, but I'm in no rush.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I can't remember if I listened to the album or just samples, but it didn't interest me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't remember if I listened to the album or just samples, but it didn't interest me.

I think you would find it pretty bland and stale.  If I remember rightly, you didn't really dig Eclipse, this is pretty much the same thing.  Saying that without even hearing it.  :lol

Offline gazinwales

I had never heard a single note of Martensson's music until Nordic Union.
Pretty impressive though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The Toby Hitchcock album is where it's at.

Eclipse are pretty damn solid too, oh and the first W.E.T. cd, a classic, but avoid the follow up.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

The Toby Hitchcock album is where it's at.

I tend to agree - that Hitchcock album has more variety/thought in it than most of his others put together.  I can understand why people might like Nordic Union but I felt like I was listening to formulaic songs written in half an hour by a guy with too much stuff on the go..........and I love Ronnie's voice.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I can put that Toby Hitchcock album on still to this day and enjoy every song as much as I did back then.  It's an absolute fucking classic and would possibly even make my top 50 these days.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I had a Toby Hitchcock album, but I deleted it when I was clearing out space. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I had a Toby Hitchcock album, but I deleted it when I was clearing out space. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Thunderstone;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pYWZw7Ecl4

Generic but really solid IMO.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Better than Fire and Ice, but like that song it's pretty run-of-the-mill stuff, I'm not getting too excited about this album so far unfortunately.

Offline Lowdz

I think you would find it pretty bland and stale.  If I remember rightly, you didn't really dig Eclipse, this is pretty much the same thing.  Saying that without even hearing it.  :lol

The last Eclipse was awesome. NU isn't anywhere near it. I like Ronnies voice on this stuff though. Stops it from being too pink n fluffy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The last Eclipse was awesome. NU isn't anywhere near it. I like Ronnies voice on this stuff though. Stops it from being too pink n fluffy

Wow, that doesn't bode well.  Thinking though, yeah I liked the Eclipse quite a lot actually.  It wasn't quite as solid as Bleed and Scream, but has some killer tracks.

Fucking annoying to read that they are releasing another version with 2cd's full of bonus tracks next month.  >:(

CD1
“I Don't Wanna Say I'm Sorry”
“Stand On Your Feet”
“Runaways” (Album Version)*
“The Storm”
“Blood Enemies”
“Wide Open”
“Live Like I'm Dying”
“Breakdown”
“Love Bites”
“Caught Up In The Rush”
“One Life - My Life”
“All Died Young”

* Melodifestivalen song / bonus track added to the regular edition

CD2
“I Don't Wanna Say I'm Sorry” (Live)
“Stand On Your Feet” (Live)
“Wake Me Up” (Live)
“The Storm” (Live)
“Battlegrounds” (Live)
“Breakdown” (Live)
“Wide Open” (Live)
“Blood Enemies” (Live)
“Ain't Dead Yet” (Live)
“Bleed & Scream” (Live)
“Breaking My Heart Again” (Live)
“Come Hell Or High Water” (Bonus Track) §
“Into The Fire” (Bonus Track) §
“The Storm” (Acoustic)**
“I Don't Wanna Say I'm Sorry” (Acoustic)**
“Battlegrounds” (Acoustic)**

I'll probably have to buy this.  Chock full of stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jesus, The Astonishing debuted at number 10 in Australia.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Jesus, The Astonishing debuted at number 10 in Australia.

Don't think it will make the charts in Russia, but it's doing fairly well. I visited the record store last weekend and they said they sold out the first stock, so they had to order in another one. When I went and bought it today they only had two copies left.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
In Germany it entered the charts at #5, that's not that bad considering that the average german has no real taste in music  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So stupid me having faith that I would be able to find Primal and Avantasia instore last weekend.  :facepalm:

Oh well, have ordered from Utopia in Sydney so there may be a chance I'll get them by the weekend, if not early next week.  I did actually order the Nordic Union also as it was just $20, and I think I'll still enjoy it somewhat.

Have had a couple of listens to a few more Primal Fear songs anyway.  Checked the Sky is Burning which is an incredible ballad and the epic which is incredible.  Yes, it's December Part 2 but it's fabulous, I love it.  Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.  Man I put myself through such agony and anticipation.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Can't you just order them online and have them delivered on the release day?
Amazon actually delivered my DT and Avantasia CDs a day before the release date!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Amazon actually delivered my DT and Avantasia CDs a day before the release date!

Dont get Kade started lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Seriously?

I don't know if that would work quite as quick for me in Australia from Amazon, but sounds too good to be true.  Amazon normally take up to 2 weeks for me.

I guess I just like the old school thing of going out and being able to buy it at the store.  But it's becoming more and more of a rare thing which is disappointing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Dont get Kade started lol

:lol

Jason knows how I work.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm assuming the new Anthrax will be available at HMV on the 26th.  I will be quite surprised if it isn't

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
More mainstream bands like Anthrax, DT, Slayer, Maiden etc. always seem to be a safe bet.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I guess I just like the old school thing of going out and being able to buy it at the store.  But it's becoming more and more of a rare thing which is disappointing.

I totally get that. Nothing like going to the store and thumbing through the CD bins. Problem is, none of the music I seem to want is even in the stores anymore.

I'm assuming the new Anthrax will be available at HMV on the 26th.  I will be quite surprised if it isn't

Already have that, Metal Church, and Redemption on preorder.

Still on the fence on Primal Fear and Headspace. Will likely get the Dynazty though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I forgot about the Dynazty, will be getting that, along with Redemption and probably Headspace.  I might try and preorder them Tim and see when I receive them.

Problem is, none of the music I seem to want is even in the stores anymore.

That exactly the problem indeed.  :tdwn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just a quick random thought with Primal Fear's We Walk Without Fear.  Obviously Magnus handles most of the songwriting now, you can tell and most of the rhythm and guitar melodies.  This song was obviously written mainly by him and is all his work.  The solos however are Tom/Alex/Tom/Alex.  I just find this interseting that he hands the solos spots to his partners without a shred from him, besides the quick run earlier in the instrumental section.  Obviously for a live setting, but I find it quite noble of him.  The Sky is Burning is Tom on leads too.

Anyway, carry on.  :biggrin:

Bah, Dynazty is not out until April.  :tdwn

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I buy exclusively from Amazon now. New releases get here the day of. I also buy mp3 albums from bands that I don't need actual CDs, especially as it's usually a bit cheaper.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Buying mp3's from Amazon is unavailable in Aus.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I wonder why.

Offline Lowdz

It's about 30 miles to my nearest HMV. Nothing of note any nearer.
My town doesn't have a cd shop at all now.
I really miss my Monday morning trips to 'ear 'ere records to see what they'd got in that day (vinyl of course back then!) and buying whatever took my fancy. The bloke who ran it would usually give me a shout if there was something he thought id like and he was rarely wrong.

Had a similar service from the guys at Shades in London and Loud 1 a few years later, but that was mail order and didn't have that immediacy of taking the stuff home, reading the liner notes on the bus home... Ah the memories.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
There's an Amazon distribution warehouse about 6km's down the road from me.  Even when I order free/standard 2-day shipping, shit shows up the next day.

I'll bet they'd ship pre-orders a few days early to Oz too, aiming to have things arrive on release date.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion