Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 910000 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a good and fair review!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
TA gets put on hold for another day for me.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ozzy554

Still waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Totally fair review Brent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Nice try Brent. That's a lot better than I expected you to rate it. I'm still loving the shit out of it.
I'm with you on musicals generally, though I have seen phantom and rocky horror and enjoyed them in the theater.
The closest I have to an album anything like this is Jeff Lynne's war of the worlds.

I do read a lot of fantasy so that helps, but I was filled with dread at the thought of what they were attempting so maybe my love for TA is in part due to relief  :lol

I've probably played it 6 times through now and I keep finding the recurring themes and motifs.

Yeah, I'm loving it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Primal Fear  :metal  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's good then hey Jason?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh yeah, it's everything you would expect from PF.

I'm not overly familiar with Axel Rudi Pell (except for some hits and the Nasty Reputation album with Rob), but I know you guys mention that all of his albums sound similar.  I guess you could probably say the same thing about Primal Fear, but I find they change things up and add things enough where it doesnt fall into the ACDC category.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, PF will never get to the ARP category of rehashing the same shit, but I know what you mean.  You don't want much change in the PF style anyway.  Interesting to see how it stacks up against DTB.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Not likely to ever top that one.  But I will say that I am glad to hear Primal Fear this week after playing The Astonishing last week.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, PF will never get to the ARP category of rehashing the same shit, 

They won't??

I'm not totally into them, but I feel like I already know what the new one will be like.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

They won't??

I'm not totally into them, but I feel like I already know what the new one will be like.

No, ARP takes it to another level.  That's just my opinion though.  In terms of the bands individual styles, and their discographies, there is a lot more variety on PF albums then on ARP albums.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

They won't??

You're probably right Tim!  And Primal Fear doesnt change their formula up too much ever.  If it's ARP or ACDC level, thats subjective.  But I'm a sucker for classic old school metal, so it all sounds good to me!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, I've had a hard time with PF holding my attention. Ralf is an acquired taste I think. It's been awhile since I spun DTB. It's not that I don't like it, but to me, it's "just there".

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Do you not get the Judas Priest vibe?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Oh yeah, totally. But I'm also not wicked into Judas Priest either. I hope that's not too controversial.  ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I've had a hard time with PF holding my attention. Ralf is an acquired taste I think. It's been awhile since I spun DTB. It's not that I don't like it, but to me, it's "just there".

I like Rulebreaker better than DTB because it does mix it up a bit -there's some more varied songwriting.  And the bonus tracks add to that.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh yeah, totally. But I'm also not wicked into Judas Priest either. I hope that's not too controversial.  ;D

That makes sense then.  I can't see someone being huge into PF if they arent much into Priest.  The two seem to go hand in hand.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I like Rulebreaker better than DTB because it does mix it up a bit -there's some more varied songwriting.  And the bonus tracks add to that.

I do plan on getting it, but it's probably a few weeks away.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK.............I have now listened to The Astonishing three times , last time reading along with the story on dt.net and I must admit that it did boost the listening experience.  So , as I originally surmised , if you're not prepared to get involved in the story there ain't much there in terms of individual songs.  I normally wouldn't even bother , as if I don't like the music right off the bat I generally don't bother with concepts or rock operas at all.   That's why I never got into SFAM as it just sounded too focused on forcibly squeezing the story into a song format and I felt it dragged down the quality of the music/songs.

Now that I'm home, I can properly take all of your review in. I didn't realize you weren't a fan of SFAM.
I totally understand the "squeezing in the story" feeling and how it can be a turn off. I don't really feel that way about Scenes, but I get it. King Diamond, I feel, can sometimes be guilty of this (Abigail II).

As I got through Disc 1, I kept thinking, well what if this was it, and how would that stack up to Scenes. The thing about Scenes is that musically it is so intense. And the moodier stuff (TSCO) hits a home run, where I think TA lacks this home run climax. Hymn Of A Thousand Voices could've done that, but I think it comes quite short.
Also, Scenes has Through Her Eyes, which is cool. But it's cool that they only go to that well once, as opposed to what seems like 10 times on TA.

I don't think TA will crack my Top 3 or so, but I still feel that while it has its warts, it's an awesome album, which I do love. It's an album that I feel like DT had to make.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

So far, I'm giving Rulebreaker a slight edge over DTB.

And as far as ARP goes, if you've heard one album, you've heard 'em all - the only variety in his albums is when he changes vocalists - and Gioelli has been there for what Kade... 5-6 albums?  Haven't heard the new one, but the one from '14 was enjoyable, but just the same ole, same ole from him.  Not that it's bad, but I don't see the need to continually give him $10 for something I've already got in my library 4 times over.   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

And as far as ARP goes, if you've heard one album, you've heard 'em all - the only variety in his albums is when he changes vocalists - and Gioelli has been there for what Kade... 5-6 albums?  Haven't heard the new one, but the one from '14 was enjoyable, but just the same ole, same ole from him.  Not that it's bad, but I don't see the need to continually give him $10 for something I've already got in my library 4 times over.   :biggrin:

Try 10 (including the new one) and 1 cover album.

Your last sentence sums up my views too. 

Offline Lowdz

Try 10 (including the new one) and 1 cover album.

Your last sentence sums up my views too.

It's not even funny anymore. There's just no point. How many times can you rewrite The Oceans of Time? The new one is fine, it's just no different to the last several. First one is still the best.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's what I thought when listening to it.  What's the point, seriously?

Offline Lowdz

If an ARP song came on randomly you'd have little chance of knowing what album it was from. You could probably guess the track number though  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
wow, its that bad with ARP'S material?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

If an ARP song came on randomly you'd have little chance of knowing what album it was from. You could probably guess the track number though  :lol

I literally laughed out loud.  Good thing I wasn't drinking anything.

Pretty much.  It's not that it's bad to listen to, just that he's the musical equivalent of Groundhog Day.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yes, and it's getting worse as the albums go on.

haha, yeah very true.

Offline ozzy554

I finally got The Astonishing in the mail today. Now just to actually sit myself down to listen to it.

Also who ever had the bright idea to glue the booklet to the case should be fired :lol.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
When I listened, I didn't follow along with the booklet.  Did anyone find that helped get into the album more?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
OK.............I have now listened to The Astonishing three times , last time reading along with the story on dt.net and I must admit that it did boost the listening experience. 
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

When I listened, I didn't follow along with the booklet.  Did anyone find that helped get into the album more?

Yep. You might as well know what the fuck is going on if you're going to do it. The track by track on the Astonishing web page is very helpful too. Still playing it every day but did break it up a bit with Rulebreaker and the new Brainstorm.

Offline Lowdz

Have we talked about the Resurrection Kings album?mhave had a listen and it's pretty good. Another one with a Whitesnake vibe but not as much of a direct copy as the Voodoo Circle.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I spun that recently too, and thought it was VERY good.  Thought it would be another Frontiers-by-the-numbers, but found it really good.

Wait, I'm mixing this up with Revolution Saints.

Oh, FFS!  Frontiers really needs to come of with some better project names!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I like what I hear from Resurrection Kings; same kind of vibe as Voodoo Circle

Why Jake didn't keep Chas West is strange.  Great voice on this guy.