Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909675 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Always love d the live version with John bush.

Fix'd
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
whammy!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So I have heard the new Megadeth album and I would say that initial impressions are VERY good.  I need to have another listen or two to properly rate it but initial impressions would be 93-94%.  I have no idea about the lyrics/concept as I was focused on the music.......and that's the key to a good concept for me anyway - the songs each stand up well independent of any concept.

I can't comment in terms of their recent releases as , although I have most of the albums, I really haven't taken much notice since CTE and , to a lesser extent, Youthanasia.   I have of course sampled many of their more recent albums and I tend to think that this album is on another level. The arrival of Kiko has refreshed my interest - his tone/use of vibrato is very Friedmanesque.

A couple of times I thought I could be listening to Rust In Peace ,so if that album scratches you where you itch then I think you will really like this.  Take those RIP style songs, add in the bigger production of Countdown and you'll be somewhere around the mark.  Dave sounds great too (for Dave).  At this point I can see it being my second favourite Megadave  album  behind RIP.

I can't see this album disappointing too many fans - and I actually want to listen to it again straight away, something that happens rarely with new releases these days. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:35:48 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds damn good Brent.  I'm looking forward to it even more now.  Definitely should be able to get this one instore tomorrow.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
never could get into Megadeth.  Mustaine's vocals I think.  Should I have a Megadeth round if I ever do another roulette?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline gazinwales

New Borknagar is out tomorrow.
https://youtu.be/NDrrKv2wjvk

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I have pretty much everything Anthrax has released, but I refuse to listen to or put "Bring the Noise" or "Im the Man" on my ipod.  I can take some of Anthrax's rap influence but those songs just cross the line for me.

Bring The Noise was nice because it was different, I'm The Man is just a joke track that wasn't that funny to begin with and is even less funny with every repeat. Other than that I don't see that much rap influence. But those songs are still better than Friggin' In The Riggin'  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I have never checked Bornagar but know the name.  Not sure if they belong in this thread, but that song was damn good.  Reminds me of Opeth, Katatonia, Amorphis and some Wintersun, good good stuff.

who?

Probably not one for you to worry about Jason.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
   At this point I can see it being my second favourite Megadave  album  behind RIP.

Wow!

Brent, you should go back to Endgame and United Abominations. Both are excellent.

Should I have a Megadeth round if I ever do another roulette?

Yes. I would recommend anyone that has trouble with or is on the fence about a certain band to absolutely dedicate a round in their roulette.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

Offline Lowdz

I was expecting growls, I have to be honest. Had never heard a note by them but always put them in with the death crowd. Saying that, that was not my cup of tea at all.

Offline gazinwales

I have never checked Bornagar but know the name.  Not sure if they belong in this thread, but that song was damn good.  Reminds me of Opeth, Katatonia, Amorphis and some Wintersun, good good stuff.

who?

Probably not one for you to worry about Jason.

Who?

Yes I could have put it in the Borknagar or Extreme Metal threads, but I decided to pimp them here.
Not really death, were black metal many years ago, these days more progressive than anything, still has some growls.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
All good mate, you made me check it out, and I really liked it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Another Nordic Union song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhR3Wk853YY

This one is actually pretty damn good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
yeah.......that was one that I thought was pretty good.   Half the album was like that and the other half was just totally half assed , cookie cutter overload.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That song was pretty good; reminds of newer Silent Force with Pretty Maids vocals.

And based on that album cover, that will be a major mess when that train collides with that giant freak bird lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
yeah.......that was one that I thought was pretty good.   Half the album was like that and the other half was just totally half assed , cookie cutter overload.

I'll probably end up getting this because I am a sucker.

That song was pretty good; reminds of newer Silent Force with Pretty Maids vocals.

And based on that album cover, that will be a major mess when that train collides with that giant freak bird lol

Yeah, everytime I look at the album cover I wonder what the fuck is going on.  :lol

Solid call on the Silent Force music on this one Jason, I can hear that.  Could fit on the last album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New JSS album on April 1st.  Still under the 'Soto' banner so sounds like he is going with the direction he did on Inside the Vertigo.  That album grew on me quite a bit, I like it, so I'll get the new one.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
New JSS album on April 1st.  Still under the 'Soto' banner so sounds like he is going with the direction he did on Inside the Vertigo.  That album grew on me quite a bit, I like it, so I'll get the new one.

From the clips I heard from the first SOTO album, it was very modern sounding and didn't do much for me.  Was that the sound throughout the disc?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

From the clips I heard from the first SOTO album, it was very modern sounding and didn't do much for me.  Was that the sound throughout the disc?

On a whole, yes.  But it was kind of a mixed bag too, there's some great straight up metal tracks too.  No AOR or Talisman style stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Damn. It's not a good year to be a musician. RIP. :(
I've been really looking to the Last in Line album too, and this will be on my mind when I listen to it. Hoping he went out on a high note.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, if it's true then damn. Another huge loss. Just... damn. :(
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sad news

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
WTF is going on?? Damn!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Looking at 1988, there are 6 albums from that year in the TAC Top 50.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
For those who intend buying PF's Rulebreaker .........I have just got hold of the Deluxe Edition and it's definitely worth having for the 2 extra tracks.  The Jap is the same as the Deluxe with an extra reworked version of one of the regular tracks.

Final Call  -  well if you like your PF heavy , this is bordering on thrash.

Don't Say You've Never Been Warned -  good straight ahead rocker and another strong track.

These two tracks  would boost my album rating from mid 80's to high 80's and really make it a much more complete effort IMO .

Next task is to bring together all the various bonus tracks for Dystopia (Jap , Best Buy, Spotify  ::) ) into a "complete edition"
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:53:30 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds good Brent.  Gonna order mine this week, always the deluxe version for me.  I don't think I'll bother with the Japan version though.

How many bonus Deth tracks are there?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds good Brent.  Gonna order mine this week, always the deluxe version for me.  I don't think I'll bother with the Japan version though.

How many bonus Deth tracks are there?

I haven't gone into it in great detail but so far I have four - haven't listened to them yet.

Look Who's Talking
Last Dying Wish
Melt The Ice Away
Me Hate You

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's fucking heaps.  Wow.

Looks like those four are it.  Spotify bonus track?! hahahahaha.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:52:51 PM by wolfking »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would be surprised if HMV has the new Primal Fear on Friday, let alone the deluxe edition.  If not there, then amazon for both.

HMV will have the new DT for sure though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I would have thought DT would be one of those bands that would pretty much be available instore pretty much everywhere.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
In Germany you can get DT almost everywhere, even in those mainstream-stores that don't have 90% of the stuff I'm looking for.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just having a listen to the new Resurrection Kings (Appice, Goldy, West, McNabb) disc and it's a good one.  Nothing beyond brilliant , nor anything particularly fresh, but unlike many other recent releases it manages to sound retro while also having a bit of thought/soul/originality behind it.   I expect stuff like Nordic Union to be rated higher by many reviewers but in my view this one is a ton better.

Goldy has never been a huge fave for me but here he sounds as good as he ever has and Chas West .............well Jake E Lee is nuts for letting him go.    He seriously reminds me of someone that I just can't place for now , but he puts in a great performance.

I'm only half way through but if things don't drop off dramatically I expect to rate it at least mid 80's.

www.theguitardojo.com.au