Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909738 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm getting both the regular and deluxe editions for this bad boy!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm getting both the regular and deluxe editions for this bad boy!

Just the deluxe for me.  There is no reason to get the regular IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yeah, I saw this the other day, as the lead singer also has his own band, WarMachine, that I've seen a few times and have their albums.  What a pissy thing to do.  The venue they were "served" at is in London, about a 2 hr drive from Toronto.  So, they get cease/desist papers after they've already hauled their gear for 2 hours.

Stay classy Metallica.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
the article seems a bit inflammatory making it seem Metallica is going after them for playing their music.  Sounds like they just want to them to stop using the stylized version of their name in promotional items which seems fair to me.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
although they probably could have approached it a bit differently . . .
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

absolutely

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Eh, I guess.  I mean, I get that the logo is trademarked, and that's fair enough, But come one Metallica.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Alls well that ends well.  I was hoping the band themselves had no knowledge of this.  Good on them.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, good on Metallica on this one!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
D'oh.........onto page 2.

Sorry about the lack of content around here - trying to get things back on track business wise while selling a house , organising a new place and now gradually moving (we have 7-8 weeks now looking after two properties as it has worked out) has meant little spare time .  And that won't change in the near future. I'm not sure I can keep one garden alive at the moment ,let alone two :lol

I am slowly working my way through 1988 (another HUGE year)  and am 80% done on the next podcast , but that's about it. 

No doubt the focus will be on the new DT in the next few weeks (as it should be) ,so that'll be good cover :)   Aside from the new Avantasia (esp the Kiske tracks as mentioned a few weeks back) there's not much grabbing me in the way of new releases.   And on the news front it has mostly been bad news, eh?  :-[

Hopefully if Ben gets his ass into gear the next podcast will be up in the next week or so.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 05:54:03 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't imagine anything topping Mindcrime on your 88 list coming up. I'm sure Metallica and Crimson Glory or Maiden could give it a good run though.

Looking forward to the new DT, Primal Fear and Anthrax in the next few weeks!

I like Avantasia, but haven't really pursued them too much. That new Kiske song is very good though!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I forgot the Primal Fear - what blasphemy  :lol   Strong album and better than DTB in my book.   I haven't bothered to check out any new Anthrax tracks - they're very hit and miss with me.   Spreading The Disease is all time Top 100 for me but outside of that , very up and down.

I'll give you a spoiler now re 1988 (as I have said it before) - although I really like One and a couple of other tracks I don't really rate AJFA as an album.  Not in the same class as MoP IMHO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I pick Spreading the Disease too as my favorite from Anthrax.

Worship Music was excellent; much better than I had expected. If the new one is even remotely as good as WM, I'll be happy

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I'll give you a spoiler now re 1988 (as I have said it before) - although I really like One and a couple of other tracks I don't really rate AJFA as an album.  Not in the same class as MoP IMHO.

If the album had listenable production, it would slay MOP imo (and I still think MOP is amazing).
And of course let's not forget the best album of the year. :TAC:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
And of course let's not forget the best album of the year. :TAC:

That's a given.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I forgot the Primal Fear - what blasphemy  :lol   Strong album and better than DTB in my book.   

Yeah buddy!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I forgot the Primal Fear - what blasphemy  :lol   Strong album and better than DTB in my book.   

Yeah buddy!!

It should be a good one!!

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I'm eagerly awaiting the new Anthrax, Worship Music was great, much better than I expected and if they keep it up I'm more than happy.

As far as classic Anthrax goes, Spreading The Disease and Among The Living would be my favorites from the Belladonna era. And I really like Stomp 442, although I'm probably in the minority on that one. And We've Come For You All ain't shabby either.

Then of course the new Dream Theater will keep me occupied and then there's Megadeth and Avantasia. I probably don't have the time to listen to them as much as I would like too.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Primal Fear vid;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghvg0wftEnc

Some cool ass heavy shit, love it, can't wait.

Also, Nordic Union;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnpEoYU02iE

Hmm....Ronnie just might be able to save this album for me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I forgot how shit that second Cacophony album is  :-\  -last track saves it from being a total loss.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I can't imagine anything topping Mindcrime on your 88 list coming up. I'm sure Metallica and Crimson Glory or Maiden could give it a good run though.

I wasn't into Crimson Glory, but yeah, 1988 was a great year. Oh, and Keepers Pt. 2  :metal

I'm eagerly awaiting the new Anthrax, Worship Music was great, much better than I expected and if they keep it up I'm more than happy.

As far as classic Anthrax goes, Spreading The Disease and Among The Living would be my favorites from the Belladonna era. And I really like Stomp 442, although I'm probably in the minority on that one. 

So am I. Worship Music was excellent. Took a while to click but when it did..

I am so totally with you on Stomp 442. It made The TAC Top 50. Love that album and I do not get the hate for it at all. John Bush kills on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I really enjoy Stomp 442 as well!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Was just thinking where the hell is the next podcast. 

Sometimes I think I'm in the wrong thread... a lot of these bands (Anthrax in this case) fell outside of my comfort zone back in the day, and for the most part, I haven't gone and checked anything out.  JJ did a good job with Crimson Glory in my first Roulette; ditto with Kade/W.A.S.P. in the most recent one.  Maybe my roulette v4 needs to be 70s/80s metal/rock only.

Online Kwyjibo

I am so totally with you on Stomp 442. It made The TAC Top 50. Love that album and I do not get the hate for it at all. John Bush kills on it.

Finally I'm not alone anymore *cries tears of joy*. For the longest time I tried to convince people that this is in fact an awesome album, but nobody wanted to believe me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
   Maybe my roulette v4 needs to be 70s/80s metal/rock only.

I'd be up for that!

Finally I'm not alone anymore *cries tears of joy*. For the longest time I tried to convince people that this is in fact an awesome album, but nobody wanted to believe me.

I think all in all, Anthrax with Bush was pretty disappointing. I freaking loved Armored Saint AND Anthrax at the time and was excited to hear Bush sing with Anthrax. I remember being somewhat disappointed with White Noise, though I will say that it has aged very well, and I really like it a lot. Loved Stomp 442 right away. I found Volume 8 very uneven. I like it, but don't love it, and after what seemed like many years, I could just never get into WCFYA. Felt like a different band

Online Kwyjibo

White Noise is mediocre at best and Volume 8 is indeed uneven but WCFYA is great. You said before that you can't get into it and that's ok, to each his own, but I think it's more classic Anthrax than Stomp 442. That one for me sounded more like another band and was a little change in style in comparison to the previous ones. More straight forward, maybe because they didn't have a lead guitarist at that time.

I find it a little bit sad, that the Bush discs are not generally good, because I like him more that Belladonna, but all in all Belladonna got to sing the better songs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I find it a little bit sad, that the Bush discs are not generally good, because I like him more that Belladonna, but all in all Belladonna got to sing the better songs.

I agree with all of this. I'm not sure why they even made the switch in the first place. 1991 was a great year for Anthrax and they were still arching upward.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Volume 8, besides a few songs, was a pretty sup par releases. I think WCFYA is a great album, but maybe could have been condensed by a few songs.

John Bush is a perfect fit for Armored Saint, but something just seemed a bit off with him in Anthrax. I prefer John Bush as a singer over Joey, but over all, I enjoy the Belladonna era of Anthrax over Bush. If that makes sense lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
John Bush is a perfect fit for Armored Saint, but something just seemed a bit off with him in Anthrax. I prefer John Bush as a singer over Joey, but over all, I enjoy the Belladonna era of Anthrax over Bush. If that makes sense lol

I feel the same way, so obviously it makes perfect sense!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Glad we think alike lol!

Offline Lowdz

I pick Spreading the Disease too as my favorite from Anthrax.

Worship Music was excellent; much better than I had expected. If the new one is even remotely as good as WM, I'll be happy

Me too. The only anthrax album I ever really listen to. As soon as the rap started appearing, that was me gone.
I it SoWN but only liked one song (black lodge).not listened to anything since then other than a couple of spins of WM.
I've heard a couple of tracks off the new one and they were excellent. If they can keep that up through an album it will be interesting.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I have pretty much everything Anthrax has released, but I refuse to listen to or put "Bring the Noise" or "Im the Man" on my ipod.  I can take some of Anthrax's rap influence but those songs just cross the line for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Always loved the live version with John Bush.