Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909686 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well Skid Row have said they found out online about Harnell quitting (which explains the silence at their end) , they'll keep going and there's zero going on with Bach.  They have been pretty strong on that the whole way through , so I'll take their word on that I suppose.

Red Dragon Row. They're done.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:28:59 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I only caught it because Zook sent me Black Fate in my roulette.  One of the best songs I got.  Loved it, and loved the album.  Will likely be purchased.  That one is on Spotify, Tim.

I liked it a lot. I will check it out. Love the Tony Mills track too.

But Brent, the track with the chick singing was terrible! :lol

This podcast didn't seem as heavy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well..............it is a hard rock and metal show and so the heaviness is going to vary.  I try to include everything from commercial hard rock/hair metal to (melodic)thrash and sometimes the balance is going to favor those of us who like commercial hard rock/hair metal and sometimes it'll favour the metalheads.  I like it all  :angel:  In addition I also try and keep a good balance between classics and bands that might be new to most of you....hopefully that is about right.

The "chick singer" was Ben's choice and I sorta knew you would cringe , hence my comments at the end about Ben having license in his segment (to annoy Tim)  :biggrin:

I am going to pass on your complaints to Ben so you can probably expect some Autograph in his segment next time. :neverusethis:

The next show (tracklist pretty much settled) will be a bit more focused - the Xmas show was pretty huge- and I will dial up the heaviness a touch.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 06:11:08 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh it was Ben's choice? Then in that case it was AWESOME!!!!!

I wasn't criticizing the show, but it was definitely mellower. I thought we'd hear some Christmas tunes though. There's plenty better than Lillian Sux.  ;D

All kidding aside, I really enjoyed the show. Lots to chew on. I appreciate your time spent on it.

Chad, I saved the Black Fate for now. I'm going to give it one dedicated run through, but I would not be surprised if I bought it. I really liked it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
For some reason I have never bothered much with Christmas metal.............I have most of the main albums (as posted by jj in the album thread) but have never really bothered.  Hopefully Ben's enthusiasm made up for my apathy  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
He has enthusiasm that's for sure! :tup

Check your email Re: Siam! :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The only Christmas music I listen to is TSO.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The only Christmas music I listen to is TSO.

I suppose that illustrates my attitude.................massive Savatage fan but barely even played TSO , even though I have a few of the albums.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Have you even played Savatage yet on your podcasts?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Have you even played Savatage yet on your podcasts?

Nope - it won't be long though.  I have made a conscious effort not to make it just about my favourite bands.  I haven't even played W.A.S.P. yet , so there's plenty of my favourites not played to this point.  Kip Winger's solo albums haven't been played either.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:23:47 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
   Kip Winger's solo albums haven't been played either.

No issue there! :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Kip Winger's solo albums haven't been played either.

Well giddy up!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Wasn't sure where to put this but here seems as good a place as any as some of you could be interested. For today only you can get three months of Spotify premium for 99 cents. So if anyone was considering giving premium a go, now might be a good time to try it out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Wasn't sure where to put this but here seems as good a place as any as some of you could be interested. For today only you can get three months of Spotify premium for 99 cents. So if anyone was considering giving premium a go, now might be a good time to try it out.

I think it's the on-going promo with Spotify - at least it is here in Canada.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
All the best for 2016 folks.  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Seconded.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Happy New Years dudes!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Absolutely. How's 2016 so far?

Still 3 hours to go.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes, all the best to everyone also.

First day down and a good day for me, nice and pleasant, here's to a great rocking 2016!  :metal

Offline Lowdz

I've been to a panto. Dragged kicking and screaming really. Sometimes. Hate having kids  :lol

At the risk of sounding like my dad, it's a lot of fuss for just another day.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK.......new Primal Fear.

Headline reads "New Primal Fear..............Breaks Zero Rules"  :neverusethis:

You know what you're going to get with these guys and that's often the problem for me with this style these days.........a lack of melodies within a very strict formula of crunchy riffs , lots of attitude but with little imagination.  But as I have displayed in my roulette - when they get it right I love them.  It just never usually happens on more than a track or two on each album , with a couple of exceptions.

Having said that (and without listening to Delivering The Black- relying on past ratings) I do like it a lot more than that album .  Three quarters of the album is just typical Primal Fear - a good listen but no desire to hear it again.  The few tracks that did show a bit more thought I really liked (We Walk Without Fear, The Sky Is Burning and Bullets & Tears).

I rated the last album around low 70's - this one I would give low 80's.   A good example of the style , but if forced to decide I would rather listen to the recent Saxon album.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:07:06 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
You know what youre getting with Primal Fear and I wouldn't want it any other way!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You know what youre getting with Primal Fear and I wouldn't want it any other way!

Yeah brother.

Considering you you rate it higher than DTB and Jason and I speak so highly of it, we should like this a lot.  Looking forward to it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Getting slowly through Brent's second podcast and Brent, no I have never heard of that Aussie band.  What was the name "In Venomed"? was it.  Sounds quite incredible and very Bullet For My Valentine sounding actually.  Great stuff.

Nice to see you pimping the Aussie classics too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Getting slowly through Brent's second podcast and Brent, no I have never heard of that Aussie band.  What was the name "In Venomed"? was it.  Sounds quite incredible and very Bullet For My Valentine sounding actually.  Great stuff.

Nice to see you pimping the Aussie classics too.

Thanks  :D

The band in question is called Envenomed.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool, I'm definitely gonna have to check them out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
In case anyone missed the Bravewords 2015 Top 30, here it is:

BravePicks 2015 Top 30

1) SLAYER - Repentless (Nuclear Blast)
2) QUEENSRŸCHE - Condition Hüman (Century Media)
3) PARADISE LOST - The Plague Within (Century Media)
4) IRON MAIDEN - The Book Of Souls (Sanctuary/BMG)
5) ENSLAVED - In Times (Nuclear Blast)
6) GRAVE - Out Of Respect For The Dead (Century Media)
7) ARMORED SAINT - Win Hands Down (Metal Blade)
8) NILE - What Should Not Be Unearthed (Nuclear Blast)
9) CRYPTOPSY - The Book Of Suffering - Tome 1 (Defen Society 3000)
10) TRIBULATION - The Children Of The Night (Century Media)
11) ENFORCER - From Beyond (Nuclear Blast)
12) FEAR FACTORY - Genexus (Nuclear Blast)
13) CRADLE OF FILTH - Hammer Of The Witches (Nuclear Blast)
14) AMORPHIS – Under The Red Cloud (Nuclear Blast)
15) MELECHESH - Enki (Nuclear Blast)
16) NAPALM DEATH - Apex Predator - Easy Meat (Century Media)
17) GHOST - Meliora (Loma Vista Recordings)
18) MOTÖRHEAD – Bad Magic (UDR)
19) MARDUK - Frontschwein (Century Media)
20) LAMB OF GOD - VII: Sturm Und Drang (Epic)
21) SYMPHONY X - Underworld (Nuclear Blast)
22) HELLOWEEN - My God-Given Right (Nuclear Blast)
23) MICHAEL SCHENKER’S TEMPLE OF ROCK – Spirit On A Mission (Inakustik)
24) SAXON - Battering Ram (UDR)

25) KAMELOT - Haven (Napalm Records)
26) VENOM - From The Very Depths (Spinefarm)
27) CHILDREN OF BODOM - I Worship Chaos (Nuclear Blast)
28) KATAKLYSM - Of Ghosts And Gods (Nuclear Blast)
29) EUROPE - War Of Kings (UDR)
30) MY DYING BRIDE - Feel The Misery (Peaceville)

I bolded the albums that made The TAC Top 10. Slayer and Motorhead are both on the bubble.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Out of that list, Condition Human, Underworld, and Haven make my Top 10.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I used to buy that Bravewords magazine all the time

Awesome to see QR so high but also surprised that Circle II Circle didn't make the list

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's a pretty safe and predictable list really.  It's not a bad list though as far as mainstream metal goes.  Good to see the Ryche coming in at number 2 though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, that song by the asian guitarist featuring Marty Friedman was awesome and reminded me heavily of Nocturnal Rites, what album is that from?  Sounds like something exactly up my alley.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, that song by the asian guitarist featuring Marty Friedman was awesome and reminded me heavily of Nocturnal Rites, what album is that from?  Sounds like something exactly up my alley.

That was straight out of the wolfking roulette playlist  :lol   I got bored waiting for these roulettes so fuck it - each time you say you love something new from the podcast it's like winning a roulette , so I'm not fussed about holding stuff back.

The artist is Takayoshi Ohmura and that song was from an album called Devils In The Dark.  It also features Russ Allen on one track but the track I played was clearly my fave from the album.   If anything his other album Emotions In Motion may be a little more consistent and features Doogie White, Terry Ilous, Tony Moore and Ted Poley.  if you want to hear something off that in an upcoming podcast then let me know.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
finally getting to podcast 3.

Disposable Heroes is so  :metal  :metal  :metal
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That was straight out of the wolfking roulette playlist  :lol   I got bored waiting for these roulettes so fuck it - each time you say you love something new from the podcast it's like winning a roulette , so I'm not fussed about holding stuff back.

The artist is Takayoshi Ohmura and that song was from an album called Devils In The Dark.  It also features Russ Allen on one track but the track I played was clearly my fave from the album.   If anything his other album Emotions In Motion may be a little more consistent and features Doogie White, Terry Ilous, Tony Moore and Ted Poley.  if you want to hear something off that in an upcoming podcast then let me know.

I gotta check them out.  And yeah, first thing I thought was why you didn't save it for my roulette.  I think you're gonna be hard to beat.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
good stuff with Baton Rouge.  I've spun that one a couple of times in recent months.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.