Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909986 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
When I think of "Lancaster" , the bomber comes to mind.   

Indeed.

I don't get it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
When I think of "Lancaster" , the bomber comes to mind.   

Indeed.

I don't get it.
The Lancaster Bomber

And the new podcast...............I mention stuff like "last show before Christmas" but obviously it hasn't worked out as intended in that regard.

Hope you guys enjoy it..........should keep you going for a while.

https://mega.nz/#!vE0zyYbJ!960qxiulRjNVuOiOMuurYSOGLLI3inEkXrp9IkVfSTQ
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
So back at work for a few days and that gives me time to surf the net.

I hope you all had a very good christmas and Brent, sorry to hear that about your holiday.

I'm not that regular in this thread but if anyone is interested, I live in Germany in a smaller town called Sankt Augustin that is located south of Cologne. We are supposed to be in winter right now but the last few days we had around 15 degrees celsius and mostly sunshine. Definitely to warm for this kind of season.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Back after a couple of days away from a computer.  Brent, those bushfires are just devastating, so sad seeing this on the news.  Was lucky you didn't get caught in it.  The weather up in Brisbane has been mild, quite cloudy and a bit of rain.  Always happens this time of year.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Downloaded, and listening to the podcast.  Great first tune.  :metal Though, you didn't change the tag of the file, and it's still named 'December 15 Podcast #2'.  Had me worried it wasn't going to be the current one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That was more for my reference than anything and anyhow........ the last one was tagged "December podcast" and this is "December podcast # 2 "  (the 2nd in December) .  :P  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ah... copy that.  The Decmber '15' threw me off.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I should warn you Chad..........you get a mention in Ben's section.  He noticed your avatar while we were doing the show and wanted to know who "funny guy" was  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad is a joke maker

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I should warn you Chad..........you get a mention in Ben's section.  He noticed your avatar while we were doing the show and wanted to know who "funny guy" was  :lol

I'm good with being 5% hotter than Kim Jong-Il: Team America version.

I gotta re-listen to catch the two bands at around the 2:05 time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Downloading now!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad is a joke maker

:lol I was gonna post this exact quote.

Downloading now and will try and start listening tonight.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad is a joke maker

:lol I was gonna post this exact quote.

Downloading now and will try and start listening tonight.

As long as Chad isn't duped by Brody to bootleg Star Wars, its all good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening to the Podcast now! :metal

Great start! And Alice Cooper  :metal :metal :metal

Freedom is an awesome track. Willing to overlook a certain bass player here. :\

Yes, you used TTD in Round 1, Brent. Listened to my Round 1 CD a few weeks ago, in fact.

JSS was awesome on Marching Out. One of the best vocals I've ever heard. Not sure the other track with him did very much for me though. :)

Night Of The Long Knives is so great. My Song Of The Year for 2014.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:58:11 PM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It's not really the thread for it but some quick thoughts on the new Avantasia.   I think it's a strong album and I'm not as big a fan of the style as many here so hopefully that's a good sign.

I have actually struggled with rating many of the songs (not normal for me) as most of them are in no man's land somewhere better than good but not quite excellent.  The 12 minute epic has some great moments but I don't think it's excellent from start to finish....my attention wavered a couple of times.

What I will say is that I don't think there is a track I would call weak.......the bonus track Wake Up To The Moon is pretty good too.

At this early stage I would say that the tracks featuring Kiske are my faves (and he's pushing the limits of his range and nailing it).   The Tate track is good.......he does a decent job and gets plenty of cover (low-ish in the mix and lots of backgrounds/fills from Tobi).  I'm guessing there were plenty of takes and maybe some technology involved.

I need some more time with it .  At this point I will rate it 82% with the potential to add a few points as a few more of the songs click. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds good.

Thought I downloaded the podcast last night but it seemed it didn't work.  Downloading now.

Offline Kwyjibo

Still a month to wait for the new Avantasia but what you say sounds good, I'm actually more excited than I thought I would be.

The Tate track is good.......he does a decent job and gets plenty of cover (low-ish in the mix and lots of backgrounds/fills from Tobi).  I'm guessing there were plenty of takes and maybe some technology involved.

Tate's inclusion is something I still don't understand. I mean, I get that he was an idol for Tobi (as he was for me and many others) but that time is long gone. And now he's just one of the biggest a**holes in the whole metal scene and add to it the fact that he can't sing anymore and you have to help him with backing vocals and/or technology to sound decent, then why Tobi? Why?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well H........Tobi is also a big fan of Bert and Ernie  , so it was just too good to resist .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Breaking news..................Harnell out of Skid Row.   Bach or nuthin now.   GnR/Skid Row tour?   Bach and Axl are besties and would probably benefit the fortunes of both bands (one a lot more than the other of course)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Breaking news..................Harnell out of Skid Row.   Bach or nuthin now.   GnR/Skid Row tour?   Bach and Axl are besties and would probably benefit the fortunes of both bands (one a lot more than the other of course)

I'd love to witness the back-stage drama there!  I'd probably go just for shits and giggles if it was a small/cheap enough venue.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just don't get tix too close to the stage as they both like a bit of biffo with the crowd at times  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Breaking news..................Harnell out of Skid Row.   Bach or nuthin now.

Damn, and I was hoping they'd at least manage an album worth checking out. :lol
You can't go through that many vocalists before people just don't care, and they stopped caring a long time ago. Bach or bust.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

Sounds good.

Thought I downloaded the podcast last night but it seemed it didn't work.  Downloading now.

Not just me then. I've downloaded it twice now and can't find it anywhere on the iPad.

Offline Kwyjibo

When I hear Skid Row news I'm always surprised that they still exist. They went completely under my radar after Bach left. But as with GnR I'm not sure if a reunion would spark my interest again, especially if it's only for touring and not making new music.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tony is a great singer but didn't fit with Skid Row at all IMO

It's Bach or nobody at this point. But this has to be a planned arrangement with the Gunners. Both reunited and touring together, it's the only thing that makes sense

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It may be nothing but it's pointing that way.  Harnell is saying he was ignored/disrespected ,  Skid Row are announcing nothing to coincide with Harnell saying he quit and Bach isn't commenting.    Sounds to me like Skid Row were negotiating behind his back and still are.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Deathless

I honestly think Skid with Bach could make another really good album. I think too many older bands get comfortable and the result in the music is, well, bad.

But if Bach can still get Rachel riled up, maybe they can recreate a little bit of that old magic? The EP's they made weren't bad, Sollinger was really the weak point.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I actually found it a little difficult to listen to Sollinger. Skid Row was such a kick ass band; to see them become this half ass punk modern rock band was sickening.

The fans want it- Bach is absolutely the only choice

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
     Sounds to me like Skid Row were negotiating behind his back and still are.

I don't think there's any question.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, a couple of questions from the podcast.

What was the band with Tony Mills? Did you say Siam? That was really good. Can you tell me about them?

And the next song was by Black Fate, which was excellent BTW. But you said the singer sounds a lot like _______. I have played it back about 5 times and I still don't know what you said. :lol What did you say?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hopefully now Harnell can concentrate on the next Starbreaker album.

Offline Lowdz

Still haven't been able to listen but having that Black Fate album I'm guessing he compared the singer to Roy Khan.

I've only heard one track from Tony mills ' Siam, which is on a compilation sampler. He was going for a Queensryche vibe on it. Never checked them out as the song didn't grab me (signals of intuition?).

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, a couple of questions from the podcast.

What was the band with Tony Mills? Did you say Siam? That was really good. Can you tell me about them?

Yep.................Siam.  As Paul mentioned they were obviously going for a Queensryche vibe and that suited me fine as Queensryche were pretty much over for me at that point. Apart from Tony Mills the rest of the guys in the band were not "names."   They released two albums -  The Language of Menace and Prayer.   The songs on them are up and down but IMO the second is the more consistent.  The best songs on both albums are very good and worth having IMHO.

But you said the singer sounds a lot like _______. I have played it back about 5 times and I still don't know what you said. :lol What did you say?

"Khan" ,  as in Roy Khan from Kamelot.  I think I said "he does a pretty mean.......Khan (impersonation)"
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:21:26 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I only caught it because Zook sent me Black Fate in my roulette.  One of the best songs I got.  Loved it, and loved the album.  Will likely be purchased.  That one is on Spotify, Tim.