Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909438 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Will listen tomorrow morning.  I'm sure there's gonna be lots more played that I don't know.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Your voice is only deep for an Aussie. Your air must have a high helium content   :biggrin:

My youngest banned me from doing the bedtime story because of my deep, boring voice. I think the phrase was "give it some expression, man ". Cheeky little sod. Yeah, I won't be broadcasting anytime soon.

Yeah............I thought long and hard about releasing anything with my voice on it - especially something thrown together like it was .  Back when I was in bands my backing vocals were in the Gary Hughes (Ten) range as I just can't do "high." :lol Ben actually said that the podcast sounds nothing like me , so perhaps the shitty microphone is making it sound a little higher pitched - probably a good thing. Oh well......and better work on my elocution for Tim too.  :)   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

And that whole Europe album is most excellent. Made my top 50. You seem surprised Tim. There is more to Europe than TFC.

Which album is it?

I never paid them any attention to them after TFC. No reason I guess.

Didn't they do a cool acoustic cover of Love To Love?

Brent, I know I heard Danny Vaughn. Was that Tyketto? Never listened to them either. Next time my request for him should come from Waysted's Save Your Prayers. Chad liked How The West Was Won when I sent it in his roulette.

And I'll check, but I don't think I heard you announce that string of tunes. The Destination's Calling was cool. I have the podcast on my iPod and we have a looooooong drive for Thanksgiving, so I'll listen again.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll try and have a listen tonight too.

Oh, and next time "KadefromBrisbaine" calls, HANG UP!

I'll just keep calling.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7JMDqizeZE&feature=youtu.be

Samples from the Ronnie Adkins / Erick Martensson Nordic Union.

Sounds good, pretty much what you would expect from the Martensson school, Eclipe, WET like classy rock.

Sounds like WET with Ronnie singing.  Suits me fine.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Sounds good, pretty much what you would expect from the Martensson school, Eclipe, WET like classy rock.

Ronnie's singing always makes you wet, doesn't it? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

First Tyketto album was pretty good, 2nd was a bit of a letdown but has some great tunes on it.
I love Forever Young from the 1st album. Danny is a great singer. Had the odd drunken chat (well I was drunk!) with him when I used to frequent maximes in Wigan.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Ronnie's singing always makes you wet, doesn't it? ;D

You know it baby.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Ronnie is quite unique in the way that he morphs from the smoothest AOR style to damn heavy metal voice.............two voices for the price of one.   The only guy I can think of who has done it so well is Mark Free.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I think Ronnie is quite unique in the way that he morphs from the smoothest AOR style to damn heavy metal voice.............two voices for the price of one.   The only guy I can think of who has done it so well is Mark Free.

Don't think I can remember hearing mark free do a metal voice.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Don't think I can remember hearing mark free do a metal voice.

Ok................next show  ;D  Having said that the gap between soft and heavy for him isn't as great as it is for Ronnie.   Ronnie is pretty amazing .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Great, versatile voice.  Hopefully a new Pretty Maids album soon too.

I like Mark Free, but haven't got any albums, but the songs I've heard have been great.

Offline Lowdz

Those u rule child and the signal album are pretty special.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
u rule

Thank you Paul (kingshmeglowdz) .........you rule too  ;D

And yeah.....both those albums are great.  Signal - Loud and Clear was the first thing I ever bought on Ebay  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, a request/feedback. Any chance that you could name the tracks like every 3 songs or so? That way I remember what I heard when you put a name to it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, a request/feedback. Any chance that you could name the tracks like every 3 songs or so? That way I remember what I heard when you put a name to it.

Thanks for the feedback .  What I was doing was playing in groups of 4 and naming the first track coming up and then naming the other three afterward...................so I was naming everything after no more than 3 tracks if you think of it like that.   

I could change it to groupings of 3 (introduce one and catch up two) but then you would get more of my weird voice  :lol   I will try that and see if that improves things for you. :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I must've missed it. I thought you were going like 5 or 6 songs between intros. I'll listen to it again tomorrow.

Your voice was fine. It's that accent!  Wow! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
No worries...............let me know after your 2nd listen if you want the groupings cut to three.

And I don't have an accent.............you do.  ;D   Kade will back me up.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm not sure about that "KadefromBrisbaine".

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And I don't have an accent.............you do.  ;D   Kade will back me up.

What this guy said.

I'm not sure about that "KadefromBrisbaine".

Where's Brisbaine?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
What the fuck is a Christopher Cross song doing at Track One on a Saxon album  :omg:   - just listening to Destiny for the first time.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
They did a great job with Ride Like The Wind.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

It's a good version but something I would expect to see at the end of an album or as a bonus track.  Personally I would never open a new studio album with someone else's song - maybe that's just me.   I didn't like VH doing it with You're No Good/Where Have All The Good Times Gone either..............less annoying with them though as VH tend to make the songs their own a bit more.   Saxon's was more just a straight cover.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

It's a good version but something I would expect to see at the end of an album or as a bonus track.  Personally I would never open a new studio album with someone else's song - maybe that's just me.   I didn't like VH doing it with You're No Good either.

While I don't mind it in the case of VH (largely because I didn't know the original first, and because it's done in a completely different style), generally I agree with the sentiment. First impressions are important for an album, and putting someone else's song first doesn't send a good message. Put it later on in the album once the listener has settled in a bit. Even VH1 was ok with You Really Got Me, despite only coming after one real song and a short instrumental.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I am going to have to try and forget this is Saxon...........up to track 3 and this album makes Journey sound like Norwegian black metal  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This is part of a major lull in Saxon's discography.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a great cover.  I should revisit that one.  I didn't mind it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I am going to have to try and forget this is Saxon...........up to track 3 and this album makes Journey sound like Norwegian black metal  ;D

Unless it's performed on a music box and sung by a children's choir, is this even possible to do?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
On one of their many live releases over the last half dozen years, Ride Like The Wind translates very well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

How can you tell when it's all a lull?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

How can you tell when it's all a lull?

What the fuck?

Offline Lowdz

They lost me around this time with the obvious drive to get a hit in America. It just didn't suit a meat and potatoes British metal band. They were great on that tour though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Kingdom of Rock is a really brilliant cd.  Lots of old school Magnus type of songwriting on a lot of these songs.  Every song fits the singer really well.  I could do without the chick song, but it's still good.  Sounds like Avantasia.

I think my favs might actually be the David Readman song, the Tony Harnell and the brilliant Harry Hess track.  The Tony Martin track is a winner too.  Interesting that he wrote this with Magnus too, good stuff.  Such a Sabbath vibe, and I love the Anno Mundi style vocals at the end, brilliant.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, When The Sky Falls sounds very much like a Sabbath song.  The same could be said of most of the songs, that they could be interchangeable with the singers 'home' band (Poodles, PC69, TNT etc...).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah the Tony Martin track is fantastic; big Sabbath vibe

And what's all this horseshit talk about Saxon?? Destiny should be right up your alley Brent. I'm surprised you didn't really like that one

And Ride Like the Wind is a great song. I've never actually heard the original