Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909585 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Given the name of the band, I'd be more than happy for them to do an album of blatant Dio rips. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, totally.  It would be better than what they have presented here anyway.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just listened to the Last In Line .  I don't mind it..........doesn't bring back any real Dio vibes but I suppose the name is more about the players than the style.

Pace wise it's definitely one of my old "plodders" - when I was playing and I came across something like this that I had to play I felt like I was channeling Yngwie Malmsteen.  I.......cannot............play..........that..............slow.  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just listened to the Last In Line .  I don't mind it..........doesn't bring back any real Dio vibes but I suppose the name is more about the players than the style.

I'm surprised Frontiers didn't chain them up in the studio and say WRITE HOLY DIVER AGAIN.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Come on, Frontiers aren't that bad.  ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Prove it. :P

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm surprised all the songs weren't co-writes with Alessandro Delvecchedio   :P
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

He is certainly Frontiers current poster boy.  :lol

Prove it. :P

Ouch.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

He is certainly Frontiers current poster boy.  :lol

Yeah = he's doing lead vocals on some of their projects now too.  Hopefully the little upgrade I gave his name will help him with that.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Haha, I missed that.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Another Voodoo Circle song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SksbrlGFkyI

This is a good one.  No direct Snake ripoffs which I like, I'll purchase this one now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
DON'T BREAK MY HEEEEEART AGAIN

Nope, still pretty Snakey. :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

DON'T BREAK MY HEEEEEART AGAIN

Nope, still pretty Snakey. :biggrin:

Yup, blobs right. That groove is DBMHA. Rest of the song is snakey without directly ripping anything off. I can cope with that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I got more of a Deep Purple MK III vibe from the first single though, so I think this will be more vintage Whitesnake/DP than 1987 like the last one. It's all good to me, as long as the music is solid.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't pick that up.  I knew it must have been too original to be true.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay folks...........serious thread bizznezz.  :xbones

I have a few things I am going to be gradually adding to the thread - now that my roulette is over and things are settling down a little for me (after this weekend) :

1) I am about to start gradually indexing all the “Best Of” lists  (years and bands) and placing links in the OP for easy future reference for anyone that feels the need.

2) I will get onto finishing off the 80s at some point soonish...............we still need to do the best of lists for 1988 and 1989 but after that I am not sure it’s worth it. Each list takes a lot of time and the 90’s ain’t worth my time :lol

3) Over the next year I will try and get through plenty more “best of” lists for some of our favourite bands and maybe also a Top 100 Guitarists (in terms of influence on me , not rating skillz )

One idea I am toying with for 2016 is a semi-regular podcast for this thread – nothing I intend taking anywhere other than you guys (and my sister) .........so I’m aiming for a huge audience of about half a dozen, which is about perfect given my confidence in my DJ skills  ::)  .  If you guys like the idea then it might happen every 2 to 4 weeks depending on how life is treating me at the time.   

My son and I like to do little “projects” and his interest in music is really taking off at the moment .  I only just gave him his latest mix CD and he is already in my office planning the playlist for the next and sampling my collection.  Which gave me an idea.............I don’t know about you guys but I really miss the ability to listen to a radio show where the host is really in sync with my taste and I thought this could be a cool project for me and my son Ben , at the same time as giving you guys a podcast that plays back to back hard rock and metal classics , while also exposing you to some new bands from the depths of my collection. Discovering new bands via radio was awesome "back in the day" but is a distant memory for me and even though that won't apply to me here I will enjoy listening to it and putting it together anyway. Another idea I have is to revisit the “best of” lists (including upcoming ones) and turn those into podcasts too .   

Over the years I have been told numerous times that my collection and enthusiasm for the music would be ideal to run a hard rock/metal radio show.   The trouble is that it would be hard to find the time or generate an audience and then if there was any money to be made I have zero wish to worry about royalties and other legalities.  But a podcast for your mates doesn’t present those sorts of legal/accounting issues. The other issue is that I have a pretty average voice/demeanour for radio – I have a deep voice but I am too softly spoken/laid back (the mic seems to magnify that effect) and it sounds like I’m a budding hypnotist or something.  :-[  I did appear on a radio program or two back in the day on community radio but more as the guy the DJ could have a chat to for some trivia/content and in that situation I did great , but I’m generally not the guy who initiates conversation or an expert at talking shit , so I’m a pretty poor choice for a DJ. :lol   

Anyway...........I will do my best and as I hit my stride I expect I will become a bit louder and more confident  :hat  .

This idea has literally taken 24 hrs to go from being a vague thought (not expecting to be able to do it at all) to me researching , learning the software basics and recording a two hour show for you. I probably appear for a total of a couple of minutes  , I think I sounded a bit better by the end of the show and the coolness factor goes up 200% when Ben introduces the last segment - he's a natural.  :metal  It’s all pretty rough around the edges but for a technophobe I think I have done a pretty good job for one day’s on the job learning.........even if I do say so myself.  :angel:

Let me know what you think about the idea and , if you end up taking a listen,  if you liked the mix of songs.......or have any ideas/requests.....aside from getting a new DJ  :P.   I reckon I got the mix about right to keep most of the regulars in here reasonably happy.  All I ask is that if you enjoy the podcast and want some more that you make a post in this thread thanking Ben  .  He’ll get a huge kick out of that  :tup  And I will put in a bit more than 24 hrs effort into the second one.    If there’s no real interest from you guys then I’ll take no offence and give it the ass .....or keep doing it with Ben anyway without posting.   

Here's the first DTF hard rock/metal podcast -  just over 2 hrs in 320 kpbs mp3 so you can listen pretty much anywhere with good quality sound...........it goes without saying that a lot of the voice overs etc.....are not intended to be taken seriously , but there to give it a bit of a radio show feel for Ben.  I won't do a list of artists as part of the joy of radio is not knowing what will be played   ;)

Enjoy.................I hope.

https://mega.nz/#!WV0nFBba!mFUfjV-xqzSS9brPbOulj29RHRkyZbcqaDGLHZPsijQ

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
2) I will get onto finishing off the 80s at some point soonish...............we still need to do the best of lists for 1988 and 1989 but after that I am not sure it’s worth it. Each list takes a lot of time and the 90’s ain’t worth my time :lol

Go up to '92, then call it a day. :lol Plenty of great rock stuff in that era, then it's a wasteland by '93.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Go up to '92, then call it a day. :lol Plenty of great rock stuff in that era, then it's a wasteland by '93.

Agreed!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright............... I will try and get to 1992  :lol   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The podcast is a great idea, but I don't think I should check it out til after my roulette. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The podcast is a great idea, but I don't think I should check it out til after my roulette. :lol

Thanks  :D   I wouldn't worry too much though - I am purposely avoiding stuff that I would be sending and if I were you I would check it out prior to your roulette.  What's the worst that can happen?   You discover a few new bands to increase the size of your "banned list" and you get even more good stuff in your roulette.  And if I cock block a few others then so be it  :hat

But seriously............it's 90% classics at this point and I'm not playing anything I expect to pop up in anyone's upcoming roulettes.

Anyway......glad you like the idea.  And nice of you to call in during the show too  :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:13:20 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
All true, should have known that.  I'll have to check it out then.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think you will have your loyal supporters from this thread!!

And going to 92 is a good idea; you always need to include I&W in any type of list.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I downloaded the podcast last night. I will try and listen after work.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Alright............... I will try and get to 1992  :lol   

A lot of good and ignored stuff came out just as the scene was dying, so yeah, 92 makes sense.

Looking forward to giving the podcast a go. I've never bothered with them before so it'll be something new this end too. And props to Ben, great taste. I caught my eldest, Zach, listening to his own playlist on Spotify and after status quo's rocking all over the world came DT's Enigma Machine  :biggrin: I was soo proud.  :metal

And my dad has been listening to Steve vain and satriani. Very weird considering his past musical taste was opera, country (the old shit stuff) and awful Irish music  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7JMDqizeZE&feature=youtu.be

Samples from the Ronnie Adkins / Erick Martensson Nordic Union.

Sounds good, pretty much what you would expect from the Martensson school, Eclipe, WET like classy rock.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Unless you are a fan of these guys, there's not much there.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7JMDqizeZE&feature=youtu.be

Samples from the Ronnie Adkins / Erick Martensson Nordic Union.

Sounds good, pretty much what you would expect from the Martensson school, Eclipe, WET like classy rock.

Indeedy.  Me likey.

Unless you are a fan of these guys, there's not much there.  :lol

Not enough growls for ya?   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
haha very funny.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK listening to the podcast now Brent. :metal :metal

Can't believe there wasn't an EVH intro.

Also, you talk funny. Can the next podcast have subtitles? :lol

Oh, and next time "KadefromBrisbaine" calls, HANG UP!

That Nation(I think that's what you said  :lol) tune was awesome!

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:12:35 PM by TAC »

Offline Lowdz

Great job Brent and Ben.  :metal
Enjoyed it. You managed to sneak in 3 songs I didn't know the Destinations Calling, really liked that. The Sammy Hagar tune and metal church, both of which were good.

Great choices for the last few Ben, can't beat those bands. My kids like KISS, they don't have much choice tbh. They loved the as scooby Doo meets KISS dvd that came out recently. Great def Leppard pick. Nice Bon jovi b side.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Sammy tune was actually really good. I'm not at the end yet.

And Mike Howe era Metal Church rules. Their new album is one of my more anticipated releases.

Great call on Armored Saint's Tainted Past
."Let the dust settle, and let cooler heads prevail"  :metal

The Europe tune actually isn't that bad.

Brent, I didn't recognize a couple of tunes after Europe. What was played between Europe and Def Leppard? There were some great tunes in there.

AWESOME JOB Ben!!!!!! Can't wait for the next one!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:54:55 PM by TAC »

Offline Lowdz

The Sammy tune was actually really good. I'm not at the end yet.

And Mike Howe era Metal Church rules. Their new album is one of my more anticipated releases.

Great call on Armored Saint's Tainted Past
."Let the dust settle, and let cooler heads prevail"  :metal

The Europe tune actually isn't that bad.

Brent, I didn't recognize a couple of tunes after Europe. What was played between Europe and Def Leppard? There were some great tunes in there.

I think there was a cool Vicious Rumors ballad.
And that whole Europe album is most excellent. Made my top 50. You seem surprised Tim. There is more to Europe than TFC.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK listening to the podcast now Brent. :metal :metal

Can't believe there wasn't an EVH intro.

Yeah.............it certainly crossed my mind , but I thought I would be a little less predictable.  Van Halen didn't appear at all , but we'll fix that on the next one.  Thanks to your feedback I will start working on another one

Also, you talk funny. Can the next podcast have subtitles? :lol

I can't do much about the Aussie accent (I was thinking that as I said "Tainted Paaaaarst" instead of "Tainted Pairst".    I would've hoped that "nation" was easy enough to understand though  :lol   I will try and improve the vocal delivery but with my soft,deep voice and a cheap webcam mic only so much can be done.  Maybe I will get someone to buy me a proper mic for Christmas :lol

Oh, and next time "KadefromBrisbaine" calls, HANG UP!

Thought you would like him  :lol

:tup

What was played between Europe and Def Leppard? There were some great tunes in there.

I did announce them .........must be the funny voice  :angel: 

Enuff Z'Nuff : The World Is A Gutter
Firehouse: Reach For The Sky
Destination's Calling: Revolution In Mind
Vicious Rumors: When Love Comes Down

Thanks  :)

Great job Brent and Ben.  :metal
Enjoyed it. You managed to sneak in 3 songs I didn't know the Destinations Calling, really liked that. The Sammy Hagar tune and metal church, both of which were good.

Great choices for the last few Ben, can't beat those bands. My kids like KISS, they don't have much choice tbh. They loved the as scooby Doo meets KISS dvd that came out recently. Great def Leppard pick. Nice Bon jovi b side.

Thanks Paul.  Looks like I got the balance right between classics and a few I was guessing could be less well known - so that's what I wanted to do. And yeah...............Ben loved the Scooby DVD too.  :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Your voice is only deep for an Aussie. Your air must have a high helium content   :biggrin:

My youngest banned me from doing the bedtime story because of my deep, boring voice. I think the phrase was "give it some expression, man ". Cheeky little sod. Yeah, I won't be broadcasting anytime soon.