Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909690 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sad news.  As a band they never did much for me but a lot of the enjoyment in metal (to borrow from Jon Oliva) is "the characters" and he was sure one of them.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
sad news

Offline Lowdz

Sad news indeed. Live fast, die young indeed. I used to love his drumming. I liked Motörhead when I was first getting into metal and bands were few and far between. I outgrew them pretty quickly and haven't heard anything after about 1983.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm always wary of Erik Martensson and his samey writing but this Nordic Union project (him and Ronnie Atkins from Pretty Maids singing) could be worth a listen..........coming in January.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm always wary of Erik Martensson and his samey writing but this Nordic Union project (him and Ronnie Atkins from Pretty Maids singing) could be worth a listen..........coming in January.

Whoa, what the fuck, do tell?  Sounds like a wet dream to me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just checked out the details, could be interesting.  Will be a blind purchase for me.  Interesting combination too.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Just checked out the details, could be interesting.  Will be a blind purchase for me.  Interesting combination too.

Agreed... but I'll sample on Spotify first.  Should be a good one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
New Primal Fear song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLRjJQCqCeo

Not bad. Not bad at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Art

This song is very cool! They have 3 guitar players now?  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
No surprise, sounds awesome

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah... that was hawt.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That song is in beast mode.  Fucking great heavy riffs.  The verse is Running in the Dust though.  The whole thing has an amazing groove though.  Songwriting and guitars are all Karlsson.  He really has taken control of this band.  I hope we see a few songs with a lot of guitar interplay between the three of them.  Tom is an amazing lead player.

This song is very cool! They have 3 guitar players now?  :metal

Tom who was the bands original guitarist has rejoined.  Karlsson will not tour and is a studio member only so to speak. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That song is in beast mode.  Fucking great heavy riffs. 

Yes! :metal

I should really like this band more than I do. Not that I don't like them. I think they will be one of my New Year's resolution bands. I have 16:6, Delivering The Black, and Unbreakable, but they've never really caught on and held my attention.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
That song is in beast mode.  Fucking great heavy riffs. 

Yes! :metal

I should really like this band more than I do. Not that I don't like them. I think they will be one of my New Year's resolution bands. I have 16:6, Delivering The Black, and Unbreakable, but they've never really caught on and held my attention.

I prefer the newer stuff.  Delivering the Black and Unbreakable are excellent.  16:6 and Seven Seals are ok.  Other than that, I just have the compilation Metal is Forever

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The best compliment I can give Primal Fear is that they are the best 80's heavy metal band ever, that isn't from the 80s.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I felt that way about early Hammerfall.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I felt that way about early Hammerfall.

Totally.

Even though Delivering the Black is by far my fav from the band, Seven Seals, Devil's Ground and Black Sun are not far behind.  Delivering the Black aside, I'd much prefer the older stuff.

Check out those three Tim.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't have it all but I prefer the older stuff as a rule.

This new song is solid but with 3 guitarists I was expecting a bit more going on ............sounds like they came up with one chord each  ;D    Pretty "by the numbers" for mine.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This new song is solid but with 3 guitarists I was expecting a bit more going on

This was my only single issue with the song.  Other than that I love, crunchy, heavy and groovy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is the single, so it's possibly the most straightforward of the bunch, and didn't really call for more. I also prefer that a 3 guitar band doesn't overload a song with guitar parts just because they can. It's great live when they can do two rhythm parts plus a solo, or a harmonized lead with a riff behind it, but I don't want them feeling obligated to have lots of parts in the studio for the sake of it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This is the single, so it's possibly the most straightforward of the bunch, and didn't really call for more. I also prefer that a 3 guitar band doesn't overload a song with guitar parts just because they can. It's great live when they can do two rhythm parts plus a solo, or a harmonized lead with a riff behind it, but I don't want them feeling obligated to have lots of parts in the studio for the sake of it.

They will only have 2 guitarists in a live setting.

I think this is the only reason why they are a 3 guitar band now.  Karlsson doesn't want to tour but is a crucial part of the band at the moment and Tom obviously needed the work and seemed to like playing with the band live again I guess.  Pure convenience, not for a 3 way attack.  I'd like more from 3 of them on record, but I'm not expecting major things they can't reproduce live either.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I didn't mean in terms of blazing guitarwork all over the place Blob..........more some melody/rhythm ideas that I haven't heard a zillion times before.  Sure - sometimes a single can be "simple" on purpose , but it also often has a very memorable chorus or something that makes it work best as the single.

For me this is just PF production line stuff (which is still solid) , but they have always been a little hit and miss for me.  When they hit , they hit big (like JJ's roulette song) but they miss a lot with me where they don't seem to with most of the regulars in here, which is cool.  I had a listen to Nuclear Fire the other day and I reckon I liked most of the songs on that better than this one and there were a few rippers that I liked much better than this , or just about any of their recent material really.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's why I was surprised Jason got a 10 with his submission.  He picked very well on that occasion.

I'm with Blob though I guess.  I don't want too much going on for the sake of it, and IMO, the riffing here is strong and doesn't need layers or melodies or anything.  There's also a chance this could be an edit, like When Death Comes Knocking.  Doubt it cause there's no bonus track I guess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I think this is the only reason why they are a 3 guitar band now.  Karlsson doesn't want to tour but is a crucial part of the band at the moment and Tom obviously needed the work and seemed to like playing with the band live again I guess.  Pure convenience, not for a 3 way attack.  I'd like more from 3 of them on record, but I'm not expecting major things they can't reproduce live either.

In that case, I'd say even less reason to utilize 3 guitars too often unless necessary. Seems like a bit of a weird situation though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
What do you guys think of the new drummer? What's his background?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

In that case, I'd say even less reason to utilize 3 guitars too often unless necessary. Seems like a bit of a weird situation though.

It's definitely a unique situation.  Magnus just doesn't seem like a touring type of guy.  I don't think he's ever done a full tour with them since he's been with the band.  That's how Alex came onto the scene, he was Magnus' fill on the 16.6 tour I believe. 

What do you guys think of the new drummer? What's his background?

The drums on this track sound amazing.  Played with UDO for ten years and played on the last Hardline I believe.  Seems like a fine replacement.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought this new song sounded heavier than normal too.  It's tuned down to C.  PF have been playing in D since Seven Seals.  I'm not sure if they have ever gone this low before.

Offline Lowdz

Last In Line first track, the Viv Campbell, app ice, Bain DIO tribute. It's ok I guess not setting my world on fire. No fireworks from Viv, Def Lep may have fire out.

Singer lacks range on this frack, it's all very samey.

https://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-11-17/last-in-line-launch-devil-in-me-video

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I really like the singer, and he actually has better range than Dio (although nobody has the power of Dio), and I love the production and the style, but unfortunately this song did nothing for me. It's ok, but nothing standout. It's like AC/DC trying to write a Sabbath song.

I'm still excited to hear the rest of the album, but this song misses the mark.

Offline Art

The singer sounds more like Glenn Hughes than Dio to me.

It´s all very well done, but the song in itself it´s just ok, nothing special. But i´ll check out the rest of the record.

Offline Lowdz

I really like the singer, and he actually has better range than Dio (although nobody has the power of Dio), and I love the production and the style, but unfortunately this song did nothing for me. It's ok, but nothing standout. It's like AC/DC trying to write a Sabbath song.

I just felt he needed to go higher at points in the song and had just... Didnt

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I really like the singer but, but the song is pretty shit IMO.  Still will check it out for sure.

It's like AC/DC trying to write a Sabbath song.

That's exactly what it's like, well done.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Song seems a little flat, but I'll still check it out further.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I just felt he needed to go higher at points in the song and had just... Didnt

He went higher in (I think) the second verse. Hopefully he goes a bit more balls to the wall in other tracks. I want to hear some faster tracks like Stand Up And Shout or I Speed At Night with some killer vocals.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like they really have the potential to do songs like Shout or I Speed at Night.  Hopefully we get it and it's not just all mid paced plodders.