Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909494 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

And I have a problem?  :rollin

Yeah but my problem is too much awesome stuff , not 9 discs per meh artist :neverusethis:

Most of my rubbish is from back in the 90's (and there was no shortage of rubbish in the 90's)  when I was doing detective work all round the world looking for something decent and had to take chances ordering imports based on word of mouth/reviews etc........no sampling/internet etc.....  but I stopped at one disc pretty quick :lol

But then you would turn up the odd gem (like the debut Vanden Plas) and it would all be worth it.......mostly.

Bodybuilding "supplements" can be an expensive habit too mate :lol
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 04:12:02 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

Wow and I thought that I was a music addict  :metal
Music is my only vice, I do not drink, smoke or gamble.
I was stupid enough to sell 500 CD's around the mid to late 1990's.
Now my collection is around 2500, plus vinyls.

But like Brent said, back in those pre-internet days, there were no samples, just reviews to rely on.
I bought many duds, but not anymore, although I have a handful of bands that I will buy blindly (Moonsorrow, Nightwish, Dark Tranquillity and Amorphis)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/axel-rudi-pell-to-release-game-of-sins-album-in-january/

Fuck, another ARP album.  I'll check it out but I hope he can change it up a little, it's getting pretty stale.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
it was getting stale in 1998  :lol   He still pulls off a few good songs and he has a great singer but yeah......change it up a bit . 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Circle of the Oath was actually pretty damn good, but the last one, Into the Storm I think it was called, didn't do anything for me.  Dunno if I'm just not into his stuff that much anymore.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree, it's like he's basically releasing the same album all over again. I'll check it out though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I agree, it's like he's basically releasing the same album all over again. I'll check it out though.

This.  I didn't get into ARP until Kade dropped them on my in my first roulette.  I got most of the discog, but there ain't a lot of variety.  It's pretty decent stuff, but the same thing over and over again.  Into the Storm was pretty decent, but I think I only went to it 2-3 times.  You know what you're gonna get with ARP, so there's really no sense in investing much time/money with him when we've heard it all before.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't heard much of his new material but I liked what I heard when Rob Rock and JSS were on the vocals

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have most of his discog too but I don't go to it very often. Nothing wrong with it. It's just hard to be wowed at this point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

His first solo album is still my favourite, but yeah, he has become a cliche of himself, you know exactly hat's coming.
Quality songs every time though, and a great vocalist.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have most of his discog too but I don't go to it very often. Nothing wrong with it. It's just hard to be wowed at this point.

I think that's the perfect description actually.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Whitford/St. Holmes tour.
https://bravewords.com/news/whitford-st-holmes-featuring-aerosmith-guitarist-brad-whitford-and-former-ted-nugent-vocalist-derek-st-holmes-announce-fall-tour-new-album

I actually had their album when I was a kid. It wasn't very good though.

Also, I would have never in a million years recognized Derek St. Holmes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Primal Fear trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11CymtATS-c

Fuck yeah, sounds nice and heavy.  Production sounds very strong once again.

:metal :metal :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The PF sounds pretty much as expected - hope there's some variety on it.  That's the key for me - I like that style and I like Scheepers , I just need some varied melodic ideas over the course of the album

I posted the new Millennial Reign in the albums thread.................getting lots of good reviews around the traps.  Second rate stuff IMHO.......has potential but the whole thing is just missing something (finish, musicianship)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Is there anyone in this band worth mentioning?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Is there anyone in this band worth mentioning?

Nope...........but if I ignored bands without a big name I would miss most of my best finds.  But this one ain't one of them .

Only reason I mentioned it is that it seems to be getting a fair bit of publicity/strong press.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I guess cause I've made the conscious decision to not check out new stuff for a while, unless they have somebody in the band I'm not a fan of is the only reason I ask.

The roulette will change that.  ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Primal Fear trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11CymtATS-c

Fuck yeah, sounds nice and heavy.  Production sounds very strong once again.

:metal :metal :metal

Production sounds meatier than the last one. Better drum sound, not as tinny on the guitars (although the last one wasn't bad either for a modern metal album). I quite like it.
Not enough of a snippet to judge though, but it's promising. Every time I've checked out Primal Fear, I haven't minded the style, the songwriting has just never quite grabbed me melodically.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm surprised at your comments Blob, hopefully they can surprise you.  Delivering the Black does have amazing production for a modern metal album I agree, sounds great.  This does sound nice and full, but it sounds like the guitars are tuned lower again which would help.

Really looking forward to this.  With Tom back in the band, it could take them to another level again.  Don't see how they can top DTB but I'm sure we'll get a cracker of an album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm surprised at your comments Blob, hopefully they can surprise you.  Delivering the Black does have amazing production for a modern metal album I agree, sounds great.  This does sound nice and full, but it sounds like the guitars are tuned lower again which would help.

I'm surprised at my comments too. :biggrin: I'm giving the last one another listen through just to give it a fair chance. It's an enjoyable enough listen, not sure if it will stick yet.
The production is nice, but the drums on the new album sound punchier and less of that obvious triggered sound, and the guitars are fuller and meatier. This is still top of the heap as far as Frontiers goes (not that that's saying much on its own, but yeah).

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I still need to go through the older Primal Fear albums. So far I'm only familiar with the Magnus Karlsson stuff.

Offline Art

I still need to go through the older Primal Fear albums. So far I'm only familiar with the Magnus Karlsson stuff.

Check out the first three, IMHO, their best stuff. Jaws of Death is a monster of a record.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Primal Fear can absolutely do no wrong in my book. The trailer is brief, but still kicks ass

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
New Voodoo Circle song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXcqr5DSo9A

Are they pulling a Glen Hughes with the two vocalist thing? :lol I love the style, the song is ok.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That is quite good , if a bit too obvious.............Doug Aldrich styles rhythms and then John Sykes pops in for the solo  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
That is quite good , if a bit too obvious.............Doug Aldrich styles rhythms and then John Sykes pops in for the solo  :lol

I actually love the blatant-ness of this project. I know what I'm getting, and it's something I like. :lol

Offline Lowdz

I'm fine when they play n the style of Whitesnake, but when they borrow riffs and melodies it gets a bit much. This is fine, and David Readman does a great Coverdale, better than the man himself has in 30 years.

Thought it was pretty much straight from 1987, riff and solo, with Doug's rhythm sound maybe. That solo is pure Sykes though. Again, it gets a bit close to downright copying for comfort.
They leave me in a bit of conflict I guess.
Good stuff though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

They are pretty much all killer.  Seven Seals, Devil's Ground, Black Sun, Nuclear Fire, the debut, all brilliant.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Voodoo Circle song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXcqr5DSo9A

Are they pulling a Glen Hughes with the two vocalist thing? :lol I love the style, the song is ok.

This band is sort of pissing me off now.  The last album was really quite good even though there were numerous Whitesnake blatant rip offs.  I lived with it and really enjoyed it actually, but this is them being a tribute band without saying it. 

Don't get me wrong it's a great song and good performances, but fuck guys, lay off a bit.  And fucking lol at that Sykes solo.  :rollin

Offline Lowdz

Having a listen to the Scorpions 50th anniversary remastered and they sound pretty good.
I'm thinking of getting the Blackout one which has a live did, but wonder if the World Wide live is worth getting for the did. It's unclear as to whether it's a live show, it says a documentary. Anyone got it?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Having a listen to the Scorpions 50th anniversary remastered and they sound pretty good.
I'm thinking of getting the Blackout one which has a live did, but wonder if the World Wide live is worth getting for the did. It's unclear as to whether it's a live show, it says a documentary. Anyone got it?

Is it the same documentary that was released when WWL was released the first time?

I just saw that Taken By Force is being released. I would love to see live show from that era. Where are the DVD contents detailed? Anywhere?

Offline Lowdz

Is it the same documentary that was released when WWL was released the first time?

I just saw that Taken By Force is being released. I would love to see live show from that era. Where are the DVD contents detailed? Anywhere?

I was just going by what was in the blurb on Amazon. I believe it is the documentary that was available on vhs. I've never seen in but I'd be more interested in the live show that comes with Blackout.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh yeah, so would it. And everything that came before Blackout.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's terrible news.