Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909813 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I can probably wait until tomorrow for the def Lep.

:lol   I thought it was further away or wouldn't have mentioned it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

30th Nov here. Probably take a couple more weeks to ship them down to you lot down under  :biggrin: those galleons don't move too quick

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well I don't know where all these huge ratings around the traps for the new Def Leppard are coming from.   I suppose it does sound mostly like a band doing as they like and so there's plenty of diversity but there's also nothing on this that I'll be rushing to play again.

To me it's "solid" , but nothing more. I was tempted to hit Skip a number of times on my first listen.  And to those saying this is a return to High n Dry/Pyro...........I want some of whatever you're  :hat :hat   

Among their worst - 72%
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

No rush to buy it then. I'll Apple Music it then. I've spent shitloads on great music recently so not wasting money on average.
Just treated myself to a line 6 sonicport too to go with the iPad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No rush to buy it then.

Why would you buy it at all??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
No rush to buy it then.

Why would you buy it at all??

I love the first three Def Lep albums.  Very little interest in anything after that though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I may not be completely in love with Pyromania, but definitely the first 2.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have never really listened to the debut much , although ironically one of my faves off the follow up (possibly THE fave) is On Through The Night.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have never really listened to the debut much , although ironically one of my faves off the follow up (possibly THE fave) is On Through The Night.

Such an awesome tune. I love High n Dry. One of my all time favorite albums.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I don't think I've heard a single Def Leppard song post-90's. This response is not encouraging me to want to change that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think I've heard a single Def Leppard song post-90's. This response is not encouraging me to want to change that.

I don't think I'd know any post 90's DL songs either come to think of it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Post 90's Def Lep Round in your Roulette? ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Post 90's Def Lep Round in your Roulette? ;D

You don't want to win?

Offline Lowdz

Pyro is awesome, their finest hour. HnD is great but has some filler, same with OTTN. Hysteria is the classic everyone says but I'd take Pyro over it. I don't mind Adrenalize but since then it's been slim pickings (sounds like a country artist  :lol). Each album since has a few good songs but a lot of crap.

New one isn't streaming yet that I can see. Will do a track by track when it is as I'm off sick and have nothing better to do  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Pyro is awesome, their finest hour. HnD is great but has some filler, same with OTTN. Hysteria is the classic everyone says but I'd take Pyro over it. I don't mind Adrenalize but since then it's been slim pickings (sounds like a country artist  :lol). Each album since has a few good songs but a lot of crap.

New one isn't streaming yet that I can see. Will do a track by track when it is as I'm off sick and have nothing better to do  :lol

My track by track

1) Pour Some zzz..........

2) promisezzzzzzzzzz

3)Def Leppard meetzzzzzzzzz  Queen

4)zzzzzzzzz

and so on  :lol   It's actually not all that bad but not one track bettered a 8 for me - and I'm an easy marker :)

Have fun :neverusethis:

And yeah............Pyro is my fave , followed by HnD , Retroactive and then Hysteria.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:19:46 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeesh, its more and more difficult to find cd's in store.  No Saxon today either at HMV

I'll just wait a week and order it through amazon with Magnus Karlsson.

Offline gazinwales

30th Nov here. Probably take a couple more weeks to ship them down to you lot down under  :biggrin: those galleons don't move too quick

Nope, it's already out here locally  :biggrin:
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/browse/hard-rock-rock/def-leppard/803957/
Convicts 1 - 0 Poms

Offline Lowdz

Let's go. Starts off like do you wanna get rocked before the self referential PSSOM riff. Chorus sounds like something One Direction would do. Still, nice enough.

Dangerous is anything but but clearly sounds like def lep, a bit too much so in the riff case as its lifted straight from Promises. Nice song though.

Man enough is clearly DL trying to be Queens another one bites the dust. Not awful but too much of a queen rewrite to be great, down to the finger snaps. I don't particularly like AOBTD and I feel the same about this.

We Belong . Typical hysteria like ballad, again nice enough. Should I be using the word nice so much on a rock album?

Invincible. A bit more like it. Basic but chunky riff, still a bit pedestrian despite the obvious attempt to rock things up a bit. Again it sounds too nice. The crystal clear production might not be helping. Again I get the one direction impression- if they were to rock it up I imagine it would sound something like this.

Sea of love . Another nice riff. Chorus drags things down after a more uptempo opening. Joe sounds a bit don Henley in the verses. Again that chorus is killing the song a bit. Ooh I hear a bit of sweet home Alabamans riff in the solo. Solo was too short like all of them so far. Let rip guys, you've got viv Campbell in the band ffs.

Energised. You don't sound it. You sound like you need energiser batteries to wake you up. If ever a title did not sum up the song this is it. It's out staying it's welcome.

All time high - nice basic AC/DCish riff again, tempo is better. Again the pristine production robs the song of some impact but it's ok. Oh, we've slowed down again. And the solo doesn't rock on the rockiest song so far. Joe goes high in the outdo. Hell not hit those notes live!

Battle of my Own - bit of a swamp groove in the intro. Led Zep does Skynyrd. Then a cool Zep riff. I can imagine robert plant howling over this. Some Kashmir strings in there too. I'm liking this one. Best song so far, then it ends. Needed another section and a big solo section but it just ends...

Broken n brokenhearted - another hysteria album nod in the riff but the tempo is better. Another slow ploddy solo. Typical def Lep song.

Forever young - first impression is Mott the hoople. Not digging this one too much but it's ok. These solos are pointless, they are just nice space fillers.

Last Dance - sounds like one of those songs retroactive was full of, where they did the acoustic mix of a full blown def Lep ballad. Verses sound like some other song but I can't place it. It's another nice song, fine for what it is. Another song that finishes abruptly. Maybe should have gone to a full big ballad production for the big finale?

Wings of an Angel - good song. Solo has a bit of fire!!! Finally.

Blind Faith - nice intro, good vocal. Again the production is crystal clear. Keep expecting this to build and it isn't doing so far. Oh fuck the panpipes are playing now.... Where's this going? To 1968 and the Beatles.... And back to the laid back vibe just as it was building. Oh here it comes, that's better.joes struggling with the high part. That's going to get messy live. Yeah, I think I liked it. Maybe the build up could've happened sooner and then gone heavier to finish the album off.

All in all it was a nice listen, better than anything since Adrenalize on first listen, but talk about being damned by faint praise. Might not have sounded it from what I've put but it was nice enough (that word again). I've heard some people suggest it's like Slang but I don't know what they are smoking. The only hint of slang was the Kashmir strings on that one track.
Will I buy it? Hmm, not sure yet but I will play it a couple more times and I would get away with playing this in the car without too many complaints from the family, which kind of sums up the album. The production is pristine but this robs some songs of punch when they try to rock. It's probably not a good thing to hear One Direction in a rock album though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yyaaawwnnnnn. I'm sorry Lowdz, did you say something?  ;D

Offline Lowdz

Yyaaawwnnnnn. I'm sorry Lowdz, did you say something?  ;D

I said "nice" a lot, and mentioned One Direction a couple of times  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
A for effort Lowdz, but I don't think anyone cares lol

Offline Lowdz

I've been ill, still am, so had nothing better to do jj.  :biggrin:
Not done a track by track before so thought I'd give it a go. Not on a par with Kade reviewing Tate, I know  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So a few pages ago, I went on a mini rant about the Joel Hoekstra. :lol

I was sampling some of the new C2C, which is awesome BTW, but there's still something about Zak that I cannot latch onto. Anyway, Joel Hoekstra came up, and I checked out a few tracks. Damn, that is really good. Long For The Days is GREAT! Love Russ Allen there. To me, that's the style that fits him the best. Seriously.

Offline Lowdz

So a few pages ago, I went on a mini rant about the Joel Hoekstra. :lol

I was sampling some of the new C2C, which is awesome BTW, but there's still something about Zak that I cannot latch onto. Anyway, Joel Hoekstra came up, and I checked out a few tracks. Damn, that is really good. Long For The Days is GREAT! Love Russ Allen there. To me, that's the style that fits him the best. Seriously.

I'd agree with that. Think I said a couple of weeks ago it's always great hear Russ sing. The new Sym X does have a lot more melody than recent efforts.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Everything I've heard from this Joel Hoekstra album sounds pretty good.  How could it not be good overall if the two singers are JSS and Russ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just want to say that Battering Ram is freaking incredible. Very heavy, even for Saxon. Queen Of Hearts works better in the flow of the album. Musically the song is all kinds of awesome, but I just think the chorus is kind of clunky.

Oh, and Nigel Glockler. Holy shit!  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Just want to say that Battering Ram is freaking incredible. Very heavy, even for Saxon. Queen Of Hearts works better in the flow of the album. Musically the song is all kinds of awesome, but I just think the chorus is kind of clunky.

Oh, and Nigel Glockler. Holy shit!  :metal

:metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Hoek...........who?  He plays for Whitesnake right?  Why do you guys even bother with this stuff?    :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:34:35 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Having some fun here with my (7 yo) son putting together his next compilation CD for the car -  we've had all the album covers up on iTunes and (with a little direction as to quality) he has been selecting the albums, songs and then having a listen and ruling in/out with zero influence from me.

This little guy is developing heavier taste than me  :lol  Songs like Def leppard's Photograph, Bon Jovi's Wild is The Wind and Ozzy's I Don't Wanna Change The World were met with comments like "Oh no...........too soft...........get it off"    He's not the most consistent there as he likes Michael Jackson but on the whole I am pretty impressed.

Here's the list:

Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody
Scorpions: Blackout
Alice Cooper: Freedom
Reign of Fury  :omg: : Gates of Sanity
Ozzy:  Miracle Man/Party With The Animals
AC/DC: It's A Long Way To The Top
Weird AL:  TAcky
Aerosmith: Dude Looks Like A LAdy/Walk This Way
Europe: Rock The Night
Slade: Run Runaway
Def Leppard: Let It Go/ Foolin
Journey: La Do Da
Keel: Rock n Roll Animal
Skid Row: Youth Gone Wild
Bon Jovi: Raise Your Hands/Love is War
Michael Jackson : Smooth Criminal
Joe Dolce: Shaddap You Face"  (bad parenting ......oh well :lol)
Killer Dwarfs: Dirty Weapons
Unisonic: For The Kingdom
WASP: I Wanna Be Somebody
Gunners: Welcome To The Jungle/You Could Be Mine
KISS: I Stole Your Love/Detroit Rock City/Black Diamond
Lifeline: Scream
Pretty Maids: Rock The House
Q5: Let Go
Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime (the song)
Quiet Riot: Cum On Feel The Noise/BAd Boy
Steve Vai: The Audience Is Listening

Car travel is going to be a bit more fun from here on in............ :tup
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:25:07 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Better taste than I had at 7.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Some nice songs in there Brent.

Looks like I might have to check out that Joel Hoekstra album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Better taste than I had at 7.

Ditto, although it was only a few years later I was getting into the good stuff (but without the internet or a cool parent for as much diversity).

I should check out the Hoekstra album. I was put off by the multiple vocalist thing as usual, but if it's just a couple of vocalists, I should at least give it a chance. I like both of those guy's vocals.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
When I was 7 I could probably only name one band..............the hottest band in the world  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
At least you made that one band a good one. :hat

When I was 7, I was probably listening to whatever happened to be on the Rage episodes we'd taped. I know Bohemian Rhapsody was on one of them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
When I was 7, I was probably listening to whatever happened to be on the Rage episodes we'd taped. I know Bohemian Rhapsody was on one of them.
Same here, although I used to get up early every week and watch Rage live.