Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909699 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sample from upcoming Lynch Mob.

Sounds alright

https://youtu.be/TmTdcK9RVwU

AND

Armored Saint supporting the 'Ryche

https://youtu.be/Cs7B8ovCQS0?t=437

Bush sounds fucking fantastic.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:42:35 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Armored Saint supporting the 'Ryche

https://youtu.be/Cs7B8ovCQS0?t=437

Bush sounds fucking fantastic.
Dude, that gave me goosebumps. I maintain that I am DTF's biggest Armored Saint fan. And that video is coupled with Aftermath which is an A+ AS tune.

Great sound and picture. And Gonzo is the heaviest drummer I have ever seen live. He literally makes the floor shake.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Black Majesty sampler.
Sounds awesome! I'm all over this!
https://bravewords.com/news/black-majesty-cross-of-thorns-audio-sampler-unleashed
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of Black Majesty. Sounds like textbook power metal

And Armored Saint kicks major ass!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Sounds like an African-American Dream Theater cover band.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yes, a standard Aussie power metal band, but they are extremelly reliable and all their albums are really good actually.  Recommend Silent Company for a first timer.

Those samples sound really good too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deathless

New WASP track!

Blabbermouth

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New WASP track!

Blabbermouth

Sounds like New Jersey era Bon Jovi featuring Blackie  :lol    Hopefully that's the single........good enough song but not much WASP attitude in there.   It does sound better than many of their albums , so that's a good thing.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Time for another feature band - two actually.  Coming up in Tim's roulette we will have a Winger extravaganza over the next week and here , seeing as they're topical right now with a new album , I thought we could discuss Saxon.

It's only in recent times that I have had a really good listen to the Saxon discography.   I had some odds and sods growing up but was never a big fan.   They were actually one of the first metal bands I saw on a music video too  - right next to two of the most influential videos of my life.   

I had taped a music video show we have down here called Rage (still going too)...........this would be about 1986 (so 12 yo) and first up on this VHS was the triple shot "live" videos for Runnin With The Devil, You Really Got Me and Jamie's Cryin'   , followed by Ozzy's Lightning Strikes ..............so I immediately fell in love with Jake E Lee and rushed out to get The Ultimate Sin.

After these was this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBbjtb-ffDk

and you know............first impressions and all.........a very "happy" Def Leppard was my first thought.  :lol  A song from Rock The Nations probably wasn't the best example for me.

Go for it - any thoughts on Saxon , rank the albums (or top 5) and , if you can , Top 10 songs.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:16:50 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I had taped a music video show we have down here called Rage (still going too)...........this would be about 1986 (so 12 yo) and first up on this VHS was the triple shot "live" videos for Runnin With The Devil, You Really Got Me and Jamie's Cryin'   , followed by Ozzy's Lightning Strikes ..............so I immediately fell in love with Jake E Lee and rushed out to get The Ultimate Sin.

After these was this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBbjtb-ffDk

Yeah, you can't compete with that run of songs. :lol

Ah, the good old Rage tapes. We had several tapes from the early 1990s with some good stuff. Not the gold you were getting, but I do remember watching Bohemian Rhapsody endlessly (hated it at first for being weird and long, ended up loving it).

Got nothing to say about Saxon though. Carry on.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That WASP sounds decent, nothing great though

Big Saxon fan, I'll come up with a list later

Offline Deathless

Never listened to Saxon before, but listening to a couple of their greatest hits albums on Spotify. Really good stuff. Catchy songs, good melody, some harder hitters. Will try and start with their oldest stuff and work through before commenting further.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Albums

1) Sacrifice 2) Power & the Glory 3) Denim and Leather 4) Unleash the Beast 5) Metal Head

Songs

1) 747 2) Power & the Glory 3) And the Band Played On 4) Ride like the Wind 5) Eagle has Landed 6) Broken Heroes 7) Crusader 8) Heavy Metal Thunder 9) Thin Red Line 10) Sacrifice

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New WASP track!

Blabbermouth

What the fucking fuck is this?

I'm looking at the album cover while listening to this confused as fuck, this doesn't make sense.  At least it has some variety compared to what they have been doing.  Reminds me of a Forever Free type song, and for a melodic rock style track, it's pretty good.  Production and recording sounds clear and professional too.  If the heavy tracks can have this freshness and sound in them, we could be in for a good album.  Just totally threw me this.

Saxon are incredible too but one band that I'm more familiar with their later stuff than the earlier stuff.  I think their last 5 albums or so have been incredible, Sacrifice for one was amazing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Saxon are incredible ....  I think their last 5 albums or so have been incredible, Sacrifice for one was amazing.
So true. They were legends to begin with. They have gone to a whole new level. With their last half dozen albums, they have gone from a Top 15-20 band for me to close to a Top 10.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Check out older Saxon Kade, you won't be disappointed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
https://www.amazon.com/Carrere-Years-1979-1984-SAXON/dp/B0079043T8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1439591517&sr=1-1&keywords=Saxon+carrere+years

The best $22 you can ever spend on music.

Their first 6 albums and first live album. 7 CDs worth!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I got into Saxon from the time of Lionheart, so they were one of those bands I prodominately just went with from there for some reason.  Saying that, just had a look and I own all these on CD;

Heavy Metal Thunder 2CD
Dogs of War
Killing Ground
Metalhead
Power and the Glory
Rock the Nations
Solid Ball of Rock
The Eagle Has Landed 3 live cd
Unleash the Beast
Wheels of Steel

I think I just grabbed most of those around the same time as a lot of them were going cheap and never gave them a lot of repeated listens, just kept going back to the later stuff. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Lionheart is awesome and it pulled me back in after really not paying any attention to them throughout the 90's.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Bruce Dickinson I remember at the time had a radio show and played the title track of Lionheart.  I immediately took notice and went out and got the album that weekend once Bruce said who it was.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
For me, I was trying to get into Stratovarius at the time and I heard that Jorg Michel was the drummer on the new Saxon album. So I bought my first new Saxon album in over 15 years.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.amazon.com/Carrere-Years-1979-1984-SAXON/dp/B0079043T8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1439591517&sr=1-1&keywords=Saxon+carrere+years

The best $22 you can ever spend on music.

Their first 6 albums and first live album. 7 CDs worth!!

Why do record companies do this?  I know it's a budget thing, but splitting the albums like this just seems silly.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't disagree, but it is a great collection. I bought it myself.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just listened to Metalhead, fuckin' good!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
For me, I was trying to get into Stratovarius at the time and I heard that Jorg Michel was the drummer on the new Saxon album. So I bought my first new Saxon album in over 15 years.

Is that how you got into everything - Jorg Michael has played for everyone  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That looks like a good collection, but getting each album on their own is mandatory IMO

Saxon is one of the most consistent metal bands of all time

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New Hoekstra song feat. Russell Allen .................not quite what I was hoping for but it's alright I suppose.

https://youtu.be/dIIv5xn0t9c

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Allen is a busy guy

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Hoekstra song feat. Russell Allen .................not quite what I was hoping for but it's alright I suppose.

https://youtu.be/dIIv5xn0t9c

Did nothing for me.  Solo was good though.

Offline Lowdz

Saxon were one of my first favourite bands back in the depths of time when great bands were rare. I loved those first few albums but when they went all LA  in search of the mighty dollar I dropped them pretty quickly.
I only started to give themthem another go aboutabout 3 years or so ag.o.
It appears iImissed out on some good stuff

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Saxon were one of my first favourite bands back in the depths of time when great bands were rare. I loved those first few albums but when they went all LA  in search of the mighty dollar I dropped them pretty quickly.
I only started to give themthem another go aboutabout 3 years or so ag.o.
It appears iImissed out on some good stuff

Never too late to backtrack and get what you missed

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone else putting up a Saxon list?

That band is very underated

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Anyone else putting up a Saxon list?

Sorry, I've been working on my Winger list! :lol