Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909484 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
There's not enough time in the day to keep up with music these days , so I rarely bother with sifting through the huge number of radio shows/podcasts out there , but this one could have some interesting stuff in it .........especially if you want to learn all about KK Downing's fragrances  :lol

INTERVIEWS WITH KK DOWNING (EX-JUDAS PRIEST), HOUSE OF LORDS, SPACEY T (SOUND BARRIER, PRAISE THE DEAD),  SYMPHONY X AND DEATH ANGEL ON RICH DAVENPORT'S ROCK SHOW
Rich Davenport's Rock Show this week features interviews with Judas Priest legend KK Downing, James Christian (House of Lords), Tracey 'Spacey T' Singleton (Praise The Dead, ex Sound Barrier, Fishbone), Symphony X's Michael Romeo and Ted Aguilar from Death Angel, and is now available for streaming at this link:

https://www.mixcloud.com/richdav1/rich-davenports-rock-show-kk-downing-house-of-lords-spacey-t-symphony-xdeath-angel-interviews/

In the first hour, legendary former Judas Priest guitarist KK Downing drops in to discuss his new range of fragrances for Rockers, Metal for Men and Metal for Women. KK also talks about some of the reasons he chose to leave Priest, and looks at the way in which the classic Priest axe team he formed with Glenn Tipton worked to stay on the cutting edge of lead guitar playing. KK also chooses two of his favourite Priest classics.

Also in part 1, House of Lords vocalist James Christian looks at the band's stellar new album 'Indestructible', their tenth to date, released as the current line up celebrates its tenth anniversary. You'll also hear two new tracks chosen by James.

The second hour kicks off with a chat with renowned guitar hero Tracey 'Spacey T' Singleton, formerly of Sound Barrier, Fishbone, and Mother's Finest, and now playing 8-string guitar with Praise The Dead, a power duo whose sound is simultaneously melodic and crushingly heavy. The band has just released 'The Heavy', the first of 3 EPs, and Tracey gives the low down on this exciting new project. Tracey also pays tribute to Phil Lynott, revealing that Sound Barrier approached the Lizzy legend's management to ask him to produce an album for them. You'll also hear Sound Barrier's cover of Thin Lizzy's 'Hollywood (Down On Your Luck)', and Tracey's choice of another Lizzy gem.

Rounding off the show are interviews with Michael Romeo, guitarist with Prog Metal masters Symphony X, who looks at their forthcoming new album 'Underworld', and Ted Aguilar, rhythm guitarist with classic Thrashers Death Angel. Ted discusses their new CD/DVD package which features a live album, 'The Bay Calls For Blood', and 'Thrashumentary', a career-spanning retrospective documentary.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'd be interested on his decision to leave Priest. That's about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think KK has been doing that for a while, I heard a couple of his interviews, he's pretty good.

Brent, I'll check out that Dead Daises album then.

I'm with Jason with his opinions on Martin era Sabbath, but we already knew that.  Album rankings;

1. TYR
2. Headless Cross
3. Cross Purposes
4. The Eternal idol
5. Forbidden

TYR and Headless Cross could easily swap around though.  Just brilliant songs all round.  I'll have a crack at a top 10;

1. Anno Mundi (The Vision)
2. When Death Calls
3. Glory Ride
4. The Law Maker
5. Cross of Thorns
6. Headless Cross
7. Devil and Daughter
8. The Sabbath Stones
9. Immaculate Deception
10. Born to Lose
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah Davenport is pretty good -  I'll have a listen to KK and Michael Romeo when I get a chance.

I am currently having a listen to "The V" album (Veronica Freeman).  Solid album of everything from melodic rock to metal if you don't mind a female vocal.

Not a shabby line up either , with a couple of Michael Sweet co- writes:

Veronica Freeman – Lead vocals
Leather Leone – Duet vocals  “Kiss my Lips”
Tony Martin - Duet vocals “King for a Day”
Meliesa McDonell - additional vocals “Star Shine” & Acoustic guitars
Derek Kerswill - drums
Jeff Pilson, Mel Brown, Garry Bordonaro, Aric Avina, John O’Boyle & Mike Lepond - Bass
Pete Wells, Michael Sweet ,Peter Tentindo, Jimmy Durkin, Mick Tucker, Jordan Ziff, Michael Harris  – Guitars
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just not a big female vox fan, but I might check it out.

What about this Kelly Keeling one Brent?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't listened to the Keeling album - will be in the next few days.  Will let you know.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yeah Davenport is pretty good -  I'll have a listen to KK and Michael Romeo when I get a chance.

I am currently having a listen to "The V" album (Veronica Freeman).  Solid album of everything from melodic rock to metal if you don't mind a female vocal.

Not a shabby line up either , with a couple of Michael Sweet co- writes:

Veronica Freeman – Lead vocals
Leather Leone – Duet vocals  “Kiss my Lips”
Tony Martin - Duet vocals “King for a Day”
Meliesa McDonell - additional vocals “Star Shine” & Acoustic guitars
Derek Kerswill - drums
Jeff Pilson, Mel Brown, Garry Bordonaro, Aric Avina, John O’Boyle & Mike Lepond - Bass
Pete Wells, Michael Sweet ,Peter Tentindo, Jimmy Durkin, Mick Tucker, Jordan Ziff, Michael Harris  – Guitars

Nice, gonna have to check that out then.  Me love the ladies on the mic.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

What are the thoughts on Seventh Star?

Strong album.  I imagine it upsets a few Sabbath purists (and Paul esp :lol ) with Glenn Hughes on vox but I think it's a strong album on its merits.  Danger Zone , Turn To Stone and Angry Heart are faves and I pretty much like everything else to varying degrees except Heart Like A Wheel.

:biggrin:
I can tolerate him on this album but he does overdo the " Steve Wonder thinks I'm awesome" soul an stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This looks interesting..
https://bravewords.com/news/greg-lakes-legendary-1981-performance-at-the-hammersmith-odeon-in-london-to-be-issued-on-cd-vinyl-features-gary-moore

How much is Gary Moore on? - that's the only bit that would interest me.
I had the same question. If he's on the entire thing, this is a no brainer.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking at the track listing it struck me that it might just be Parisienne Walkways ,in which case I probably wouldn't bother. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Looking at the track listing it struck me that it might just be Parisienne Walkways ,in which case I probably wouldn't bother.
He's not coming on for just that. I think he's going the gig, especially with Nuclear Attack in the set.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Haha - believe it or not I already have this gig on disc somewhere..........one of many I tracked down years ago and never really listened to properly.  It was released as a King Biscuit Flower Hour in 1995 and Moore is there for the duration. Same date and everything -  I will have to dig it out if I can find it.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:32:04 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nice. Then I will get it!

I actually don't have any ELP albums, but I did see the ELPowell tour in 1986 and was pretty familiar with most of the set. Enjoyed the show very much.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Ummmmmmm.  No
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Ummmmmmm.  No

It was an amusing joke song though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

Can't see it at work but I guess its from the KISS/Scooby Doo movie?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Can't see it at work but I guess its from the KISS/Scooby Doo movie?

Yup and don't bother

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yikes!
https://bravewords.com/news/did-black-sabbath-lift-paranoid-riff-from-half-life-audio-comparison

Meh, it actually reminded me more of Hey Joe.  It's similar but a shit song, Paranoid is a good song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I could hear the slight similarity in the riff, but overall it's an entirely different and shitty song. There was almost no vocal melody, and it was bumbley and all over the place.
Paranoid is a much tighter song with actual melodies, and has the metal chug thing going on. Get Down isn't similar in any way that made Paranoid the well known song it is today.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Agree with Blob totally.  I actually think it's the guitar tones that give off more of an impression.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Agree with Blob totally.

Does. Not. Compute.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Agree with Blob totally.

Does. Not. Compute.

I was just as taken back as you.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Dunno if this has been posted;

W.A.S.P. To Release Golgotha October 2nd
on Napalm Records

Artwork and Track Listing Revealed

Almost six years have passed since the world saw a new studio album from Metal Icons W.A.S.P. This October 2nd, the wait ends, as Blackie Lawless and the legendary rockers W.A.S.P. will release their long awaited new album and Napalm Records debut Golgotha. Today the artwork and track listing have been revealed.
Frontman Blackie Lawless on the new album Golgotha:
“There are times in any band’s career that somehow all things mesh together. Their experiences, influences, and personal timing bring them into a common space. This has happened with this record. Four years in the making has provided direction, but even greater reflection. Golgotha, where Christ was crucified - Hebrew for "the place of the skull".”

Golgotha is available for pre-order from the Napalm Records Webstore in North America and Europe.

Shop North America: https://www.napalmrecordsamerica.com/store/wasp

Shop Rest of The World: https://shop.napalmrecords.com/wasp

Golgotha Track Listing:

1. Scream
2. Last Runaway
3. Shotgun
4. Miss You
5. Fallen Under
6. Slaves of the New World Order
7. Eyes of My Maker
8. Hero of the World
9. Golgotha

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I literally haven't paid attention to WASP in 25 years, let alone buy a new release. I am hoping that when this comes out, someone will convince me on this. Would love to like this.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Seems like a lot of work has gone into this one.  The few have been good, but hoping for something special here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I will not spend any money on it until you tell me it's safe to do so!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I will not spend any money on it until you tell me it's safe to do so!

Copy that.

The latest Winger album is really good, I think you should buy it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns