Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909708 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I am going to check out a few of the WASP albums today.   Even for bands I love to death I drop off pretty quickly after a couple of real disappointments..........not very loyal  ;D  Did the same with Queensryche,DT, Ozzy for extended periods when it comes to new material.

This sounds like it could be interesting..........snippet from an interview with Joel Hoekstra , who has looked the goods on the Whitesnake tour.

I understand you have a new all-star side project featuring Russell Allen on vocals, Vinny Appice on drums and Tony Franklin on bass, among others. What can fans expect from this forthcoming album?

Yes, I do. Thanks! It's called Joel Hoekstra's 13. I did all of the writing...words, melodies, the whole nine yards. It's melodic hard rock that I describe as being everything from Dio'ish at its heaviest to Foreigner'ish at its lightest. It's scheduled for an October release.

Apparently features Jeff Scott Soto too.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sounds horrible! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I believe Kip Winger guests too......hopefully it comes out before your roulette.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Quote from:  :TAC: on Today at 09:29:34 AM
Sounds horrible! ;D

Whoops :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 05:48:03 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Wearing it like a badge of honor Tim.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
More like a badge of dis-honor. :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The only WASP album I'd say is below par is Helldorado.  Definitely their weakest.  Everything else has a lot to offer IMO.

I listened to that one when it was a new release and I thought it was pretty weak.  Damnation Angels stood out as the best track

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I am going to check out a few of the WASP albums today.   Even for bands I love to death I drop off pretty quickly after a couple of real disappointments..........not very loyal  ;D  Did the same with Queensryche,DT, Ozzy for extended periods when it comes to new material.

This sounds like it could be interesting..........snippet from an interview with Joel Hoekstra , who has looked the goods on the Whitesnake tour.

I understand you have a new all-star side project featuring Russell Allen on vocals, Vinny Appice on drums and Tony Franklin on bass, among others. What can fans expect from this forthcoming album?

Yes, I do. Thanks! It's called Joel Hoekstra's 13. I did all of the writing...words, melodies, the whole nine yards. It's melodic hard rock that I describe as being everything from Dio'ish at its heaviest to Foreigner'ish at its lightest. It's scheduled for an October release.

Apparently features Jeff Scott Soto too.

I saw the news, but wasn't interested at all until reading this. Now I'm curious.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The only WASP album I'd say is below par is Helldorado.  Definitely their weakest.  Everything else has a lot to offer IMO.

I listened to that one when it was a new release and I thought it was pretty weak.  Damnation Angels stood out as the best track

It's the only WASP album I haven't played to death.  That is probably the best track.  The title track is alright too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just got through my first listen to Unholy Terror and I can't say that I feel I made a bad decision not bothering back in the day.  To me it's WASP by the numbers.......like say Jack Action.....over and over.  I also had a feeling of maybe Crimson Idol leftovers at times too.   Anyway........solid record but for my taste it's not even close to up there with the debut , Crimson Idol or The Headless Children (magic  :metal ).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:47:49 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Never cared for WASP.  But that Hoekstra project sounds potentially interesting.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree about Unholy Terror. Not in the same league as the earlier albums

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think the older WASP albums are never really going to have the magic of the early ones, especially the debut and Children, but IMO they are still very solid and consistent, even if they are by the numbers.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Look what I forgot I had buried in the basement!

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Look what I forgot I had buried in the basement!

That wasn't too bad if I recall correct - a Chris Poland project of some description.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yes it was.  It's been so long I don't remember the songs.  I'm going to upload it on my I-Pod.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like Twisted Sister (with MP) are putting on a high energy show  :tup

https://youtu.be/4o9FTAj82E8

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I should check that out, I love Poland's playing.

Offline gazinwales

Damn The Machine was/is a great album, I remember playing it to death back in the day.
It was a little strange because at the time was pretty weird hearing progressive metal with no keyboards.

There was an aborted second album that never was officially released, that isn't too hard to find.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like Deen Castronovo has fallen off the wagon again  :-\

https://www.tmz.com/2015/06/16/deen-castronovo-arrested-journey-drummer-assault/

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Oh Deen.  :-\ You music so good. Why you do this?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like Twisted Sister (with MP) are putting on a high energy show  :tup

https://youtu.be/4o9FTAj82E8

I like!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Damn The Machine was/is a great album, I remember playing it to death back in the day.
It was a little strange because at the time was pretty weird hearing progressive metal with no keyboards.

There was an aborted second album that never was officially released, that isn't too hard to find.
I remember reading good things about it, but I never took the time to check it out. I will probably do so today.

Offline cfmoran13

I remember reading good things about it, but I never took the time to check it out. I will probably do so today.
Definitely check it out.  I remember picking this up in college when it came out.  When I heard the opener "The Mission" for the first time, I was like "Whoo hoo!  This rocks!"  Pretty solid album.  I never knew there was even an attempt at a 2nd album.  Gonna have to investigate.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
That CD is older than my marriage.  My wife and I were dating and we rented a cottage near the NH lakes and we took a trip to a small record store and I saw the Damn The Machine album and bought it right away. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That CD is older than my marriage.  My wife and I were dating and we rented a cottage near the NH lakes and we took a trip to a small record store and I saw the Damn The Machine album and bought it right away.

Trying to quit were ya?  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like Deen Castronovo has fallen off the wagon again  :-\

https://www.tmz.com/2015/06/16/deen-castronovo-arrested-journey-drummer-assault/

Fuck.  That Revolution Saints album was quite good too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The new Borealis is all over the place in terms of style and quality.   I was seriously down on it after the first few tracks but from there things improved a lot.    Early on especially it had that very staccato, downtuned vibe -  I don't have a clue about all these new genres but perhaps djenty or metalcore would describe it.  I dunno - I'll call it crap to save confusion.

But from there we had some nice ballads ,a couple of rockers that sounded like the less proggy side of SX and some more Allen/Lande style melodic rockers towards the end.

I would rate it a bit higher than the Pyramaze ,say 80% - less consistent but with higher highs and lower lows.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Trying to quit were ya?  ;D

:lol

Goiong on 21 years married!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I don't have a clue about all these new genres but perhaps djenty or metalcore would describe it.  I dunno - I'll call it crap to save confusion.

I'll agree with you on the genre description.  Though, the first two Borealis albums were straight up metal, IMO.  Excellent stuff.  Can't wait to see them with Evergrey in August.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The new Borealis is all over the place in terms of style and quality.   I was seriously down on it after the first few tracks but from there things improved a lot.    Early on especially it had that very staccato, downtuned vibe -  I don't have a clue about all these new genres but perhaps djenty or metalcore would describe it.  I dunno - I'll call it crap to save confusion.

But from there we had some nice ballads ,a couple of rockers that sounded like the less proggy side of SX and some more Allen/Lande style melodic rockers towards the end.

I would rate it a bit higher than the Pyramaze ,say 80% - less consistent but with higher highs and lower lows.

Sounds like I should like.  Will check out then.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Metal Church!
Badlands 2015 :metal
https://bravewords.com/news/metal-church-streaming-first-new-music-with-mike-howe-in-22-years

I am so all over their new album.

You can tell he's lost a bit of an edge off his voice ,but 25+ years will do that to you. I thought he sounded good though and looking forward to this too.

www.theguitardojo.com.au