Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909478 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well it's the end of Iron Maiden week and I have followed Dr JJ's prescription and listened to not much else.  It hasn't been one of my heavier listening weeks but ,all the same , the fact that I managed to do it says something.  So at the end of it, what's the verdict?

I think I can still say that they'll never be an all time favourite of mine but I have been converted to some extent.
One thing I will give them for starters is that they appear to be remarkably consistent in terms of not releasing rubbish - even Top 10 bands for me like Queensryche, DT etc...  have had multi-album runs that I rate very low and I have a feeling that may not be the case with Iron Maiden.

So this week I have listened to all the 80's albums sans the debut , as well as the 2 CD set From Fear To Eternity (best of 1990-2010).

Despite how it might seem with all my ratings etc.... I usually put very little thought into rating music aside from how it pleases my ears/how often I wish to hear it in future.  That's my rating system in short - and I only started doing it because I can't remember how good/bad all my stuff is .  I admire how much thought goes into a clever piece of music (Octavarium for instance) but if I don't like listening to it (I don't) without that knowledge then it means nothing to me.

In the case of Iron Maiden I have tried to put a bit more thought than usual into why I may not have connected with them the way most of you guys have and I'm still a bit stumped.   They do have a very different feel to them compared to most bands I like - perhaps more lead based rhythms vs low end riffs/ power chords  , Bruce's vocals I find tend to overpower the guitars at times , I can't remember too many solos at all that impressed me (pleasant for sure but few standouts) and maybe I'd prefer more full choruses and less "chants".  On the positive side I think they have a knack for having at least 2-3 memorable songs on each album and , although lyrics mean little to me in the end, it is noticeable even to me that they are well above par in terms of the amount of thought that goes into their songs. And of course the rhythm section is very solid.

In the end I think it comes down to two things:

1) I don't like Bruce's voice as much as everyone else does and he is front and centre at all times.   I do think he has a fine metal voice but he does at times use it in ways that grate on my ears.  I much prefer his more natural deeper/gruff range as featured on songs like Number Of The Beast and even Holy Smoke which I find to be a really fun song where he just belts it out in that range.   His higher range is hit and miss for me - sometimes it sounds fantastic but at other times where he tends to turn a's and i's into strained eeeeeeeeeeeee's  ("somewhere in tieeeeeeeeeeeem")  I really don't like it.   Used sparingly I can hack it but in many songs I can't stand it.  On Back In The Village he sounds like a constipated fairy.

2) My apathy towards Maiden has its basis in the mid-late 80's and specifically the albums Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind and Powerslave.  I heard plenty of the hits (which I quite liked) but when I heard others playing the full albums those songs stood out to me as head and shoulders above the rest.   So unlike my favourite bands where I liked most of the deep cuts too , with Maiden there were hits (that I was eventually sick of) and the deeper cuts which I didn't like. And that remains today with those albums , except I am receptive again to the classics after a long break.

During my recent listening it has become clear to me that I like the way they went after this period better - the music is more lush ,more consistently likeable (for me) and I like Bruce's vocals better. So perhaps I gave up on Maiden at just the wrong time.

Having said that I didn't like Seventh Son at all on my first listen years ago and all of a sudden I rated it quite high this time so perhaps my tastes have changed too.

Rankings

I am ranking just from Killers through Seventh Son of a Seventh Son , which were rated between 77%-89%.  So they're a high tier band for me at this point (higher than a week ago  :D  ) but not right up there with my absolute faves .  If I had rated the Best of 1990-2010 album it would've been up around 90% so I should check out those albums too.

Albums Top 5:

Somewhere In Time
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Killers
Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind

Songs Top 10

Stranger In A Strange Land
The Number Of The Beast
Killers
2 Minutes To Midnight
Different world
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Aces High
For The Greater Good of god
Deja Vu
The Clairvoyant

I will collate the results later.

Note: Not so sure if I will check out the Blaze albums or not. I enjoyed the live versions of the Blaze era songs (with Bruce) on the Best Of but when I checked out the studio versions they sounded like all the life had been sucked out of them.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:25:41 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think you may be cured Brent

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Iron Maiden Results as follows:

We got a good sample of best album rankings and a result that surprised me a little

1. Piece Of Mind
2. The Number Of The Beast
3. Somewhere In Time
4. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
5. Powerslave

Numbers 4 & 5 were a tie on points but I gave it to SSOASS as it had a No 1 ranking where as Powerslave did not.

We only had 3 people including me submit Top 10 songs , so the sample isn't really enough to go off but there were only 2 songs that got more than one mention:

Stranger In A Strange Land
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg  (both by me and bosk1)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Totally missed this for some reason, have been a bit busy the last few days, apologies.

I don't think you'd really dig the Blaze albums much Brent from your writeups, but they are interesting and great albums IMO.

I must say, I find the mentions of Benjamin from you are bosk interesting.  That was one that never ever really grabbed me and definitely wouldn't be a fav of mine from that album.  It's still a good song though.  That's the thing with Maiden as you said, even their average songs based on the rest of their work are still really good songs in their own right.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This week's feature band is..............

This is one band where I can do my lists without listening too much ,but I will use this week as a good excuse to check out their later albums that I have neglected.   While they are an all time favourite of mine I lost interest around the time of Still Not Black Enough and not much of what I checked out from there suggested that I was missing too much. 

They have a new album Golgotha due within a couple of months.

So anyone with some album rankings (Top 5's or as many as you can) and Top Ten Songs..........fire away.

BTW ......fwiw I am told that the 2015 hi res 24 bit remasters of (much of) the Iron Maiden catalogue sound fantastic.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:54:08 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
WASP is an awesome band, but I'm mostly just familiar with the first five albums

I'll think about the top ten songs, but top five albums would be

1) s/t ( one of the defining 80s metal albums)
2) Headless Children
3) Inside the Electric Circus
4) Crimson Idol
5) Last Command

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I usually put very little thought into rating music
Yeah, apparently! ;D

j/k
Couldn't resist. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
One of my all time favourite bands.  I'm really looking forward to the new one.  I'm pretty much a WASP fanboy as I rate all of their work.  Top 5 albums;

1. The Crimson Idol
2. WASP
3. The Headless Children
4. KFD
5. Dying For the World

Might come back to the top 10 songs, that might be a bit tough.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
top 10 songs

1) Wild Child
2) Animal
3) On Your Knees
4) Tormentor
5) Headless Children
6) Chainsaw Charlie
7) Restless Gypsy
8) 95 Nasty
9) Mean Man
10) I Wanna Be Somebody

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's actually quite an amazing top 10.

Restless Gypsy will make my list too, so underrated.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That's actually quite an amazing top 10.

Restless Gypsy will make my list too, so underrated.

Its a great power ballad. 

I wonder if the gimmick held WASP back a bit?  They have some amazing songs, but not very mainstream. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I feel they cop a lot of uneccesary shit.  I see them get slammed as much as the likes of Winger and I never understood why, amazing band.

I think it may even be Blackie's reputation that held them back a bit, possibly.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I feel they cop a lot of uneccesary shit.  I see them get slammed as much as the likes of Winger and I never understood why, amazing band.
Yeah no one deserves that!

I was only with WASP through The Electric Circus. I did buy The Headless Children, but I don't remember anything about it. I've lost touch with them and never went back. I do have the first 3 albums on my iPod. Blackie always had an awesome voice.

I remember getting the s/t on the same day as I got Armored Saint's March Of The Saint. While AS is probably a Top 10 band for me, I definitely remember giving the edge to the WASP debut. Still have my picture disc 45 of Animal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline XB0BX

I can't believe this board doesn't have a Who thread. Seeing them in the fall and getting acquainted with all their stuff. The run from The Who Sell Out to Quadrophenia is amazing. Tommy is a perfect album, can't stop listening to it. So many good melodies on one album, it's unbelievable.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Dude, start one!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That sounds like a good music day- getting the debut from WASP & Armored Saint

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That sounds like a good music day- getting the debut from WASP & Armored Saint
What I wouldn't give to go back to 1984...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So earlier tonight I was ironing my kids clothes for school for the week (very metal!) and The Lovely Mrs. TAC walks in to bring me a beer. I was cranking the new Impelliterri and We Own The Night was just starting, and Rob Rock screams "Get ready to rooooooooooock!".
My wife goes, "What are we in 1985? How old is this?" to which I replied, "About 3 months". :lol
 :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Top 10 WASP songs;

1. Still Not Black Enough
2. Wild Child
3. Chainsaw Charlie
4. Restless Gypsy
5. Rebel in the FDG
6. On Your Knees
7. The Horror
8. Skinwalker
9. My Wicked Heart
10. The Headless Children

I know number one is a crazy pick, but this one always just hit me in the right spot, I think it's brilliant and am confident that it's my number one WASP song.  Being a fan of their whole discography made this really hard.

Skinwalker was on the American version of Still Not Black Enough.  A  couple that just missed out;

Arena of Pleasure
Tormentor
Mean Man

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I can't believe this board doesn't have a Who thread. Seeing them in the fall and getting acquainted with all their stuff. The run from The Who Sell Out to Quadrophenia is amazing. Tommy is a perfect album, can't stop listening to it. So many good melodies on one album, it's unbelievable.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=15659.0

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I usually put very little thought into rating music
Yeah, apparently! ;D

j/k
Couldn't resist. :lol

As I was writing that I thought "I wonder if this will get past Tim?"............No.  ;D

I was actually going to make the feature band for this week Winger , but I figured we'd be covering that in your roulette so no use doubling up :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:43:26 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
WASP is one of the many bands where I know and like a few songs and always plan to go deeper into their discography, but I never get around to, because there's just too much amazing music out there. I think I even have a CDR with one of their later albums which a friend gave me (after checking the internet it's Dominator), which isn't too bad.

I think WASP was one of the bands that was much bigger in America than it was in Europe (or Germany for that matter) and that may be one of the reasons why I never really got into them.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
WASP is one of the many bands where I know and like a few songs and always plan to go deeper into their discography, but I never get around to, because there's just too much amazing music out there. I think I even have a CDR with one of their later albums which a friend gave me (after checking the internet it's Dominator), which isn't too bad.

I think WASP was one of the bands that was much bigger in America than it was in Europe (or Germany for that matter) and that may be one of the reasons why I never really got into them.

I think you will love some of the early stuff , especially the debut and Headless Children.   Thinking back now to my high "school daze"  ;D they were one of my very first metal bands on regular play.    I was a fan of KISS, Van Halen, Yngwie and Ozzy already but they were among the very next.  I had a dubbed tape of WASP's debut on one side and Def Leppard's Pyromania on the other that got very heavy play around that time........would've been around 1987-8 (so 13-14yo)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

I'm sure that I will like them once I get the time to listen to them and the gazillion ohter bands on my "to-listen-to" list.

In 87/88 I was 17/18 and had never really heard of WASP. It was Van Halen all the way, some Iron Maiden, some Queensryche and a lot of hair metal, and a lot of non heavy music. Ah, those were the days.  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes they were.  I was a bit the same in the late 80's/early 90's- back then it was probably 75/25 melodic rock and hair metal vs heavy metal and in recent times I have bought that much metal that it's probably 60/40 the other way.

And as for my "to listen to "list.........it's beyond ridiculous. Before I get to "the list" I have hundreds of things I've purchased/been sent that I haven't even listened to yet....most in digital format thankfully.  I wouldn't be able to move through the CDs otherwise.

My name's Brent and I'm a rockaholic :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 05:39:16 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

Hi, my name's Harry and I'm a rockaholic too  ;D

For me, the metal part grew over the years as well, both in numbers of bands/albums and in terms of heaviness. The foundation was definitely laid in the second half of the 80s by listening to above mentioned bands (and some others).  But the rock (and some jazz, pop, funk, blues etc. stuff) part is still there and still strong.

I have around 80 CDs and around 100 digital albums I bought over the last few years that I have yet to listen to more than once. And when I'm done with them I'm sure I have another shitload of music before even starting with the list. Such is the fate of the real rockaholics.  ;)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Would you believe that Chaz West is already gone and Red Dragon Carousel have another new singer?  :biggrin:

And he's absolutely fucking awful

https://youtu.be/ok-5HzPTycQ

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Would you believe that Chaz West is already gone and Red Dragon Carousel have another new singer?  :biggrin:

And he's absolutely fucking awful

https://youtu.be/ok-5HzPTycQ

This band needs to shut down already.

That Chaz West seemed pretty good, I wonder what happend.  On second thought, who cares.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jake E Lee's post Ozzy's career sucks. Randy Rhoads died. What's Jake's excuse?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Frustrating hey, considering how friggin good he was.

Offline Lowdz

Sad.he was a huge hero of mine in the 80s. Seems a helluva long time ago. And that singer... No.

As for WASP, I bought the animal picture disc and then the first album and loved it. Wasn't so struck on the follow up or electric circus but headless children was a cracker. Then (eventually) crimson idol came along and was just awesome. Like others I lost track a bit after that until Babylon,which was really good. On checking out a couple of those missing albums they have some good stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The only WASP album I'd say is below par is Helldorado.  Definitely their weakest.  Everything else has a lot to offer IMO.