Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906890 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Coming Home was decent enough, but never a fav of mine from that album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think it is a great example of the band's growth in the Reunion era.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
If I was going to write an Iron Maiden song, that would probably be the one I would write.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I lied when I said I had no Maiden oddities . I just went and typed in "Number Of........" into iTunes and up comes Italian comedy metal band Nanowar and their phone sex song "166 - 166 The Number Of The Bitch"  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHmzSjAfQbg
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:38:30 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yikes!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I knew you would like it jj -the Italian accent makes it even "better"  ;D

Turns out that when I got those 80's albums I also decided to add From Fear To Eternity 2CD (best of 1990-2010) in digital format which has Coming Home and others.......so I will try and give that a listen too before I post songs.

I am hearing a huge number of influences on the Killers album that I never noticed on a more casual listen - although in the case of Wrathchild it sounds a bit too much like Stormbringer?? The Prodigal Son progression is not unlike You Can't Kill Rock n Roll (released around the same time) .  Hearing lots of Zep and even Lizzy/Floyd at times on Killers too.   It may sound weird to you guys but when he's singing in his lower register and not belting it out Di'anno reminded me a bit of Peter Criss.  Anyway-an interesting album that got a little boost in rating.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 11:58:54 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I knew you would like it jj -the Italian accent makes it even "better"  ;D

Turns out that when I got those 80's albums I also decided to add From Fear To Eternity 2CD (best of 1990-2010) in digital format which has Coming Home and others.......so I will try and give that a listen too before I post songs.

I am hearing a huge number of influences on the Killers album that I never noticed on a more casual listen - although in the case of Wrathchild it sounds a bit too much like Stormbringer?? The Prodigal Son progression is not unlike You Can't Kill Rock n Roll (released around the same time) .  Hearing lots of Zep and even Lizzy/Floyd at times on Killers too.   It may sound weird to you guys but when he's singing in his lower register and not belting it out Di'anno reminded me a bit of Peter Criss.  Anyway-an interesting album that got a little boost in rating.

I've never picked up on the Stormbringer/Wrathchild thing... interesting. I always thought there was alot of Uriah Heep, Priest, and UFO, Lizzy in there. It was one of those album s that made me a metalhead.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Lizzy and UFO were two of Steve's biggest influences, if not his biggest.

Can't hear the Stormbringer thing either, but now you mention the Prodigal Son and Rock and Roll, I can see what you're saying there with that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I picked this up yesterday and enjoyed my first listen:

Features Pete Morten on vocals and guitar. He has such a unique voice. This is pretty much straight to power metal.

I wonder what this means for My Soliloquy. Morten was tremendous on that, and is still one of my favorite albums of the last few years.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If any of the Aussies/NZers around are interested Seb Bach has announced a tour for September.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol Thanks but no thanks Brent.

Wait, who's his band these days?  A few years ago he almost had Halford's backing band.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think it's Brent Woods and Bobby Jarzombek

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh yeah, I remember that new guitarist now.  His lineup on Angel Down was amazing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
enough with the bullshit and just reunite the Skid Row

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Lynch Mob.  Nothing flash at all if you ask me.  Very good solo section though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=deJdCFQ76BA

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So anyway, my Maiden listings go like this:

Albums:
1. The Number Of The Beast
2. Piece Of Mind
3. Seventh Son
4. The Final Frontier
5. A Matter Of Life And Death
6. Killers

Songs:
1. Hallowed Be Thy Name
2. Fear Of The Dark
3. Caught Somewhere In Time
4. Phantom Of The Opera
5. Children Of The Damned
6. 22 Acacia Avenue
7. Sign Of The Cross
8. The Talisman
9. Infinite Dreams
10. Lord Of Light

Favorite Live Album:
Death On The Road

Favorite tour:
Ed Hunter Reunion tour

Offline Lowdz

Oh go on then...

Killers
Powerslave
Piece of Mind
Beast
AMOLAD
Seventh Son
somewhereInTime

Not too fussed with the others tbh

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Kade walks into the room and the girls circle and the compliments start flowing............"What's that cologne you're wearing?"

Kade:  "Well I don't always get dressed up like this (Priest shirt) ,but when I do I insist on KK Downing's Metal For Men"  :metal

???

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:47:59 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
One of the last smells I associate with being pleasant is heavy metal musician. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
New Lynch Mob.  Nothing flash at all if you ask me.  Very good solo section though.

meh

Offline Lowdz

meh

It was ok until the bland chorus.

Offline Deathless

Man, it's crazy to me that Bach actually sells better than SR in a lot of places. I still can't believe they turned down $250,000 to do like two shows or whatever it was at Sonishphere.  ???

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Man, it's crazy to me that Bach actually sells better than SR in a lot of places. I still can't believe they turned down $250,000 to do like two shows or whatever it was at Sonishphere.  ???

It doesn't surprise me at all -   Skid Row were a great band but Bach was the standout performer .  It's a bit like JBJ vs Sambora/Torres with another singer ........JBJ would outsell them by a mile even though some would say Sambora has the better voice and doesn't even need a singer.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:00:50 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Cool interview with Andy Laroque. King Diamond is hit or miss with me, but musically, it's great stuff. King is a great songwriter, but he has a GREAT guitarist and partner in Laroque. He is by far Metal's most underrated guitarist.
And cool that he mentions Schenker as an influence, because I can hear it clearly.

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/andy_larocque_of_king_diamond/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Kade walks into the room and the girls circle and the compliments start flowing............"What's that cologne you're wearing?"

Kade:  "Well I don't always get dressed up like this (Priest shirt) ,but when I do I insist on KK Downing's Metal For Men"  :metal

???

:lol Nice touch.  I love KK and all, but not sure I want to go around smelling like him.  It would be interesting to smell what's it's like though.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool interview with Andy Laroque. King Diamond is hit or miss with me, but musically, it's great stuff. King is a great songwriter, but he has a GREAT guitarist and partner in Laroque. He is by far Metal's most underrated guitarist.
And cool that he mentions Schenker as an influence, because I can hear it clearly.

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/andy_larocque_of_king_diamond/

Yeah, he's one of my favourites, and definitely underrated.  Interesting the mention on Air Dance inspiring Sleepless Nights.  Will have to listen but thinking about it I do think the verses are similar.  Interesting.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think this new Pyramaze is fucking fantastic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I should get it? I thought you guys were ragging on it last week or so. I actually held off. Maybe it wasn't you, Wolfie, but someone was saying.

This has been a great year in music. It's June and I've already bought 15 albums. I haven't bought 15 in a FULL year for a long time.

Offline Lowdz

First listen didn't do a lot for me but the second and third were better.pretty good I'd say. Worth spotifying TAC.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So I should get it? I thought you guys were ragging on it last week or so. I actually held off. Maybe it wasn't you, Wolfie, but someone was saying.

This has been a great year in music. It's June and I've already bought 15 albums. I haven't bought 15 in a FULL year for a long time.

Yeah, wasn't me man, I hadn't heard it yet.  The first 4-5 listens was tough as it does lack a bit of variety and it was quite difficult to get into.  Once I cranked it like the sixth time in the car the songs and melodies really opened up and I think it's brilliant.  Not a weak song on here and even though it could use a little more variety it's very consistent.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Alright, Ill check it out. I liked the singer's voice in the sample track.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If you end up getting the new Pyramaze Kade then let me know what you think.  It's getting amazing reviews but I'm not really sold on it.

It's a hard album for me to describe as it ventures into sounds that aren't my forte , so apologies if I stuff up the references.  First off it sounds nothing like old Pyramaze.  It's got a distinct modern metal sound , mostly due to the vocals which sound like they'd be at home on a heavy Stone Sour ?? album and the music has a dark vibe akin to Anubis Gate or Evergrey (but not quite as good). In fact I'm pretty sure the vocal melodies were done by a guy from Anubis Gate.

After one listen (and I can't imagine there will be too many more aside from the track Hope Springs Eternal ) I would give it a solid but unspectacular 77%   There's nothing really bad on it but also nothing much that reaches out and grabs me , so I was bored with it by the end.  And I'll admit that the "modern" vibe annoys me unless it's done particularly well like the last Evergrey.

I also just had a listen to the Crystal Ball album that was mentioned a while back - solid hard rock/metal record - sorta Accept-lite.  Around 80% for that one.

That was me - didn't hate it but didn't do too much for me either.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:40:24 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never taken the time to listen to much Foo Fighters but props to Mr Grohl for finishing off his gig with a broken leg.  Very  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I should get a chance to check out that new Borealis album in the next few days Kade.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I should get a chance to check out that new Borealis album in the next few days Kade.

:psychosane:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion