Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909470 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Week of the Ryche is almost over - thanks for the awesome response guys.  We got 9 album rankings which is the best so far and a few new participants.

I have come up with a better method of collating results to account for some doing full discog rankings, some top 5 , some ties etc..... and so I'm happy that the results are pretty clear cut.

I will look at songs later but the albums results , for those that got some decent votes were:

1) Operation Mindcrime

2) Empire

3) The Warning (I was surprised to see this clearly beat Rage For Order)

4) Rage For Order
5) EP
6) Promised Land

Gaps to indicate degree of separation. The difference between the last three was very small.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

3) The Warning (I was surprised to see this clearly beat Rage For Order)

I'm surprised by this too.

I'm also (pleasantly) surprised that Promised Land is not in the top 5. From various discussions and other rankings (and even some in this thread) I got the impression that it is in much higher regard by most fans, which I never understood.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like we agree all round Kwyjibo  ;D  :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

Alright, Have a beer.  :tup :metal

Offline Kwyjibo

All this talk about the new Helloween (in the other thread) and Andi Deris made me pull out some old Pink Cream 69 and man, Games People Play was and still is an absolute killer album. Listening to it right now  :metal :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've never heard a single track from PC69.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gazinwales

Kiuas, great unknown band from Finland who split a couple years ago.
https://youtu.be/i1OO3c1j3WI

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Kiuas, great unknown band from Finland who split a couple years ago.
https://youtu.be/i1OO3c1j3WI

I have 3 of their albums so they ain't unknown  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

Well I am stunned that anyone here knows them  :biggrin:
Which album are you missing?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well I am stunned that anyone here knows them  :biggrin:
Which album are you missing?

The last one , which I gather isn't as good.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

All this talk about the new Helloween (in the other thread) and Andi Deris made me pull out some old Pink Cream 69 and man, Games People Play was and still is an absolute killer album. Listening to it right now  :metal :metal :metal

Didn't like the Deris era at all. Sonic Dynamite, Electrified and especially Thunderdome (a Lowdz top 50 album) are the ones I go for. The last couple have been decent too. David Readman is such a great singer. They were great live too.

Offline gazinwales

Lustdriven?
Probably my fave from them out of the 4 albums they released.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I like both eras of PC 69 (the best albums anyway)..............I'd prefer One Size Fits All over Games People Play I think.

Lustdriven?
Probably my fave from them out of the 4 albums they released.

Fair enough - I'll check it out.  3 out of 4 ain't bad  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

From the Deris era Games People Play is the best for me. The other two are solid. Sonic Dynamite and Electrified are my favorites from the Readman era. I have kind of lost track of them after that, so I didn't listen to Thunderdome or any of the newer ones. May have to rectify that.

Offline Lowdz

From the Deris era Games People Play is the best for me. The other two are solid. Sonic Dynamite and Electrified are my favorites from the Readman era. I have kind of lost track of them after that, so I didn't listen to Thunderdome or any of the newer ones. May have to rectify that.

Get Thunderdome now  :omg: :metal Can't believe you won't love it as you like the band anyway.

Offline gazinwales

Yup glad you already like them, and Lustdriven I am sure you'll find as good as the previous 3.
They actually do a pretty good version of Whitesnake's 'Sailing Ships' too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Sonic Dynamite and Electrified are my picks too.....In10sity and Thunderdome are very solid too but I've lost interest in most of Readman's most recent material .  The Room Experience thing sounds pretty average too but I'll check it out.

Yup glad you already like them, and Lustdriven I am sure you'll find as good as the previous 3.
They actually do a pretty good version of Whitesnake's 'Sailing Ships' too.

OK - will do.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
PC69 are awesome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Might be the worst name for a band ever. Where the hell would I even begin to start with them?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It is a terrible name.

Everything I've heard from them, especially the Deris songs, are top notch.

Offline Kwyjibo

Might be the worst name for a band ever. Where the hell would I even begin to start with them?

Stupid name for sure. If you know and like Deris from Helloween I would recommend Games People Play. Probably my favorite record from them. For the Readman era Electrified or Sonic Dynamite are good starting points.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Stupid name for sure. If you know and like Deris from Helloween I would recommend Games People Play. Probably my favorite record from them. For the Readman era Electrified or Sonic Dynamite are good starting points.
I'll check them out. I'm not a huge Deris fan though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Queensryche Top 10 song results..........we only got a few entries for songs so it's a small sample.  But the favourite song was a tie between:

Queen of the Reich
I Don't Believe In love
Eyes of a Stranger
Walk In The Shadows

No big surprises there I don't think.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
A new week is here and we'll feature a band that I've never really connected with much but a band that needs to be featured before I get in trouble  ;D  :angel:

I'll leave the trivia to you guys on this one - I don't even have a shirt to feature.  To me Iron Maiden are one of those bands that I enjoy enough when I hear them (usually just the hits) but have never felt connected enough to want to buy an album.  And I can't put my finger on why that is.   I can honestly say that I have never owned an Iron Maiden album until very recently - I bought some digital copies of their 80's albums so as I could do my job properly with the Best of The 80's year lists.    And funnily enough , based on my ratings,  Iron Maiden albums made a couple of my Top Tens (Number Of The Beast and Piece of Mind) and an HM (Somewhere In Time) .  Even so I still never really feel the need to put some Iron Maiden on rotation like I would other classic metal bands like Priest.  Maybe now that I have some albums , they may begin to grow on me.

Anyway - I will review my ratings during the week , have a listen or two and post my lists then . I think I just have the 5 or 6 albums , so I just scrape in.   So take it away guys..............album rankings (at least a Top 5 if possible) , Top 10 Songs and any cool Maiden anecdotes .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I feel pretty much as you do about IM. I did see them live a few years ago, and it was definitely one of the better live shows I've seen, and I enjoy their music when it's on, but I've never connected with it on a level that makes me go out of my way to ever listen to them.

I basically just know TNOTB and 2 Minutes to Midnight (thanks GTA).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gazinwales

Maiden were one of the first bands I got into when I discovered metal in the early 1980's..
Along with Manowar, Priest and Rush, they were my staple music for much of that decade.

1. Piece Of Mind
2. Powerslave
3. Somewhere In Time
4. Number Of The Beast

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I'm watching The Pat Benatar 35th Anniversary tour and she is still so damn hot for 62 and still has her pipes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm watching The Pat Benatar 35th Anniversary tour and she is still so damn hot for 62 and still has her pipes.
One of the first artists I was into. Wow..so long ago. Well before Iron Maiden!

Those first 3 albums of hers are spectacular.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
They still rock.  For years I keep saying I'd love to see her again.  This concert video made up my mind.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Pat Benatar is one of those artists where little comes to mind immediately aside from the bleeding obvious from my childhood (All Fired Up etc...) but if someone were to play me all her hits I would probably be  :omg: 

I just checked my stuff and I have Wide Awake In Dreamland and the 2 CD Ultimate Collection.  No doubt I'll get around to refreshing my memory in the not too distant future.  One of the few female rock singers that ever impressed me.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
But the deep tracks on In The Heat Of The Night (especially) and Crimes Of Passion are terrific.

Maybe we should have Pat Benatar week first so you can properly prep on Maiden! :D

Brent, I'm surprised at your lack of Maiden authority. It doesn't really compute.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I remember seeing Pat Benatar in Maine with The Alarm opening.  A 6 months later was Iron Maiden. Those days it felt like there was 2 concerts a month for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I wouldn't see Pat Benatar until about 1995ish opening for Styx.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
For Styx?  That would have been cool.  Last time I was here was in 1988.  I went to see the Pats play and drove to Boston to see her at The Orpheum.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Maybe we should have Pat Benatar week first so you can properly prep on Maiden! :D

Brent, I'm surprised at your lack of Maiden authority. It doesn't really compute.

I knew I would regret this  :lol My lack of appreciation for Maiden computes about as much as you saying a Talking Heads song is outstanding though  :P  ;D 

I really don't know why they don't impress me as much as everyone else (same for Rush , although I dislike most prog rock and even much of the mid-career of DT) but it's not as if I actively dislike them..........they did make some Top 10's.  I guess I don't rate Dickinson's voice as high as everyone else and I think if we line up two albums from 1984 .........Priest's Defenders and Maiden's Powerslave ....I prefer the thicker ,more produced sound of Priest to the rawer , thinner sound of Maiden.   I'm clutching at straws a bit but it is what it is.   They just haven't played any serious part in my live outside of a casual listen.

I suppose another possible factor is radio play.  All of the bands we're talking about and plenty in Kev's 80's thread (Rush, Triumph, Squier etc...) had pretty much zero presence on mainstream radio as I was growing up.  The only Maiden song I ever heard on popular radio was Can I Play With Madness.   Almost all of the bands that I am into are as a result of me exploring/researching music and I never felt the need to delve too deep with Maiden - many of the songs I had heard were rather "samey".   I did have one obscure metal show that I listened to during school years on an underground station that played everything from Van Halen to Napalm Death and that was good but he didn't play much Maiden.....big Manowar fan he was.  Funnily enough the one Maiden song I remember hearing and liking the most back then was Killers.

Like I said..........maybe they'll grow on me a bit now that I've gone to the effort of getting some albums.  I can't ever see them being an all time fave though . As we know , growing up liking a band makes a big difference there.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:52:29 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au