Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909725 times)

Offline Lowdz

Borealis are pretty good Kade - I have their two previous albums and both have a couple of really good tracks.  The more recent one Fall From Grace is the more consistent I think.

Fuck yeah man, I'll check them out.

Also, loved seeing Sacred Heart top your list too, easily the best IMO.

I agree, fwiw. Decent band.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah Dio!!

Album Rankings:
Holy Diver
Last In Line
Sacred Heart
Dream Evil
Lock Up The Wolves
Strange Highways
Majica
Killing The Dragon
Master Of The Moon
Angry Machines

Songs:
Don't Talk To Strangers
Shame On The Night
The Last In Line
Holy Diver
Sacred Heart
Straight Through The Heart
Rock n Roll Children
All The Fools Sailed Away
Jesus Mary And The Holy Ghost
Losing My Insanity
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Lots of love for "Don't Talk to Strangers"

What an awesome tune!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

What an awesome tune!!
Hell freaking yes!
 :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lowdz

What an awesome tune!!
Hell freaking yes!
 :metal

If I could be arsed to rate the songs it would be no 1.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
RJD!!!! :metal

Just had to get that out of the way.... Now if we'd have been ranking his stuff with Sabbath this would have been much more difficult than it already was for me.

Albums:

Holy Diver
Last In Line
Strange Highways
Sacred Heart
Dream Evil/LUTW/Angry Machines

Songs in no particular order as usual:

Don't Talk To Strangers
Shame On The Night
The Last In Line
Holy Diver
Sacred Heart
Strange Highways
Stand Up And Shout
We Rock
Rainbow In The Dark

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Great to see the love for Shame On The Night. I usually am belting that out at the top of my lungs, and posing like Dio while I'm at it! :lol
Seriously, that is one of my all time favorite songs.

I hope we do a Dio-Sabbath and Dio- Rainbow discussion/rankings.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I hope we do a Dio-Sabbath and Dio- Rainbow discussion/rankings.

Well that's an answer to my question about whether we want to break up the eras of some of these other bands by vocalist. 

While I'm here Tim - you might enjoy this full set , pro shot/sound of Temple of Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMY8RbvMgg4

We'll definitely get to Sabbath and Rainbow.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If you end up getting the new Pyramaze Kade then let me know what you think.  It's getting amazing reviews but I'm not really sold on it.

It's a hard album for me to describe as it ventures into sounds that aren't my forte , so apologies if I stuff up the references.  First off it sounds nothing like old Pyramaze.  It's got a distinct modern metal sound , mostly due to the vocals which sound like they'd be at home on a heavy Stone Sour ?? album and the music has a dark vibe akin to Anubis Gate or Evergrey (but not quite as good). In fact I'm pretty sure the vocal melodies were done by a guy from Anubis Gate.

After one listen (and I can't imagine there will be too many more aside from the track Hope Springs Eternal ) I would give it a solid but unspectacular 77%   There's nothing really bad on it but also nothing much that reaches out and grabs me , so I was bored with it by the end.  And I'll admit that the "modern" vibe annoys me unless it's done particularly well like the last Evergrey.

I also just had a listen to the Crystal Ball album that was mentioned a while back - solid hard rock/metal record - sorta Accept-lite.  Around 80% for that one.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:41:42 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Dio was without doubt one of the best metal singers, but I never got around to own any of his albums, the songs I heard were always nice but somehow lacked something that made me want to hear more. Maybe your rankings will change that and I will give it another try.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

If you end up getting the new Pyramaze Kade then let me know what you think.  It's getting amazing reviews but I'm not really sold on it.

It's a hard album for me to describe as it ventures into sounds that aren't my forte , so apologies if I stuff up the references.  First off it sounds nothing like old Pyramaze.  It's got a distinct modern metal sound , mostly due to the vocals which sound like they'd be at home on a heavy Stone Sour ?? album and the music has a dark vibe akin to Anubis Gate or Evergrey (but not quite as good). In fact I'm pretty sure the vocal melodies were done by a guy from Anubis Gate.

After one listen (and I can't imagine there will be too many more aside from the track Hope Springs Eternal ) I would give it a solid but unspectacular 77%   There's nothing really bad on it but also nothing much that reaches out and grabs me , so I was bored with it by the end.  And I'll admit that the "modern" vibe annoys me unless it's done particularly well like the last Evergrey.

I also just had a listen to the Crystal Ball album that was mentioned a while back - solid hard rock/metal record - sorta Accept-lite.  Around 80% for that one.

Glad it s not just me. Sounded very samey and modern metal. Why do all metal guitars s ound the  sme these days? I know, I'm getting old. Gone are the days you could tell the band by the sound of the guitars.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
What can I say Paul? - I agree totally (surprise,surprise). And funnily enough I'm old too. :tick:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:51:29 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't purchased any cd's for a while so I ordered this one with the Cain's Offering and Ten but the company I use is usually pretty slow to deliver.  I may listen to it before hand though.  Disappointing on both your thoughts, considering the couple of songs we've heard so far, still looking forward to it.

Listening to Borealis, World of Silence.  Nothing special but solid metal, I like it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

While I'm here Tim - you might enjoy this full set , pro shot/sound of Temple of Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMY8RbvMgg4
Cool. Thank you for that! Will check out. I see that Flotsam was broadcast too. Nice! :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Back to Dio..

What pains me is that over the second half of his solo career, he put out such mediocre material. And while he had some very good rhythm sections, I think he missed the boat with his guitarists.
I still can't tell what Craig Goldie and Doug Aldrich brought to the band. Seriously.
Seems that Dio just wanted "yes men" for his guitarists.

Say what you want about the Traci G albums, but at least he had a definitive style. Whether it was likeable is up for debate.
And what happened with Rowan Robertson? He played with tons of personality on LUTW, and shamefully, that's the last decent album guitarwise that he put out IMO. And considering that was 1990, that's a long time without something decent.

I can definitely get through Killing The Dragon but I'd have to severely lower my Dio standards to call it decent.

Just saying..

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Seems that Dio just wanted "yes men" for his guitarists.

Should've probably asked Steve Howe then. :neverusethis:

But I agree, I don't really listen to anything past Lock Up the Wolves. Maybe sometimes to Magica, but totally not often.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Goldy's a decent guitarist but yeah...............LUTW was , outside of Ozzy and a couple of others , one of my first traditional metal albums . I would've been about 16 yo ,really obsessed with the guitar and I was drooling after listening to the solo on Walk On Water.    I wish the album wasn't half filled with Sabbathy plodders and had more like that and Wild One but even half an album of that sort of stuff had me excited and then he vanished and I was a bit  ??? 

I would've loved to see another album with Rowan - technically the best guitarist Dio had IMO @ around 17 years old.  He brought it live too , although there's very little footage.

here's a couple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7byK0GOBohI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRv6S9bD6PY

Looks like that gig in Germany was pro shot - would like to have that.

They didn't play Walk On Water live it seems .
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:42:08 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
    I wish the album wasn't half filled with Sabbathy plodders and had more like that and Wild One but even half an album of that sort of stuff had me excited
That was one thing that hit me right away about LUTW. This album is so damned slow. I was a little disappointed by that when it came out, but oddly, the title track and Evil on Queen Street have both aged really well.

Great footage too!
I have the Lakeland show on DVD boot. Saw that tour in Providence with Yngwie opening.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree that Dios second half discography is lesser in quality. I would consider it all to be "good", but not much more overall

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
All of his later stuff is worth listening too, but is definitely a step down compared to his earlier stuff.  Although Magica and KTD were in my top 5.

Offline Lowdz

Nothing much after Dream Evil did much for me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
A couple more tidbits from the Rowan era

In Studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FREVxTVXlU   

Warming Up With Some Malmsteen , Vai, Wylde etc..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szZECxDZAhE
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:31:47 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Apparently he's in a band called DC4. Some performances on Youtube.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah - I have a couple of DC4 albums but can't remember much about them.  Jeff Duncan (Armored Saint) was also involved there I believe.   Also Violet's Demise - a project he did with Oni Logan from Lynch Mob , which I found disappointing.  I did lots of digging back in the day for other stuff from him.  He even worked for Billy Ray Cyrus - things got bad there for a while :)  He seems to be getting some belated kudos these days though.

Unfortunately he (like me ,in terms of my playing) came along at just the wrong time.  Nobody has ever explained exactly why he left Dio - he has always had nothing but praise for RJD so everything was amicable. It seems that Ronnie doing Dehumanizer stuffed things up and Rowan had to look elsewhere and that was it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:45:46 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah - I have a couple of DC4 albums but can't remember much about them.  Jeff Duncan (Armored Saint) was also involved there I believe.   
THAT'S where I heard of them. Yes.

Some ripping going on here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmLeGDvq3vs

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Rowan did some great work on LUTW.  I'll check those links later when I'm home.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
With apologies to Dio Week I just remembered that I omitted to provide a little summary on the Van Hagar results.

Albums:

1. F.U.C.K.
2. 5150 
3. OU812
4. Balance

In terms of songs Dreams was the clear winner. In equal second for number of mentions we have:

Judgement Day
Humans Being
Poundcake
Runaround

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I'm surprised F.U.C.K came first overall (not because I don't like it or anything, I just didn't notice people ranking it that highly).

In terms of songs, I'm surprised 5150 and Judgement Day did that well, because I consider them both very average. All good on the rest though. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
When is the Gary Cherone ranking?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 ;D   In the Van Cherone rankings VH3 came last and the favourite song was He Man Woman Hater .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think we have all the Dio rankings we're going to get .   I have tried to collate the results for the album ranking as best as possible but when we're not ranking all albums and different numbers of albums it's not possible to be too scientific about it.

As an example if I add up the ranking numbers (lowest=best) then Holy Diver, Last In Line and Sacred Heart tie but Sacred Heart wasn't mentioned in one , so that goes to third obviously.   Last In Line was the most consistent , coming second in 6 of 8 lists but only came first once.   Holy Diver came first 5 times but had a 3rd , 4th and 5th. 

Dream Evil and Lock Up The Wolves were very close too.

Here's how I see the results:

Albums:

1) Holy Diver
2) Last In Line
3) Sacred Heart
4) Dream Evil
5) Lock Up The Wolves

Songs:

The most popular song with 5 votes was Don't Talk To Strangers.  Next , with 4 votes each were:

The Last In Line
Holy Diver
Sacred Heart
Stand Up and Shout
We Rock

Others with more than one mention (all 2) :

Wild One
Another Lie
Rainbow In The Dark

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:06:42 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
next up...............week of the 'Ryche .

Anyone who attempts to rank all the shite from HITNF to Dedicated To Cabaret will get a prize - your choice of 2 items of stage worn gear from Geoff in this pic......and not the hat  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au