Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909761 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm only a couple of tracks into the Lepond album Tim but I'm already getting an Armored Saint vibe .  No wonder you like it :)

Didn't do a thing for me.

I agree with Paul actually, I thought it was average at best.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have only had one listen to the Lepond .  I can see both sides of the argument but in the end i think it's a very solid , if unspectacular , mix of bands like Armored Saint, Iced Earth, Symphony X, Manowar, Maiden etc....     There's no brilliant highs but it's also very consistently listenable , it rocks and for once I can actually hear the instruments - even the drum machine via Michael Romeo sounds fantastic ;D  (you would barely know) 

I doubt I'll get back to it soon for a second listen but at this stage I'd give it 79-80% which is better than most recent releases.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I doubt anyone bar maybe Paul has heard of a Swiss hard rock band called Crystal Ball?  Anyway - I've been told that their upcoming release called Liferider is worth a listen, so I'll keep my eyes open. I have the debut Hard Impact (from 2000) which was considered a bit of an underground classic (I never rated it quite that high) .

The single which I've linked below is alright .  I imagine it's mid range in terms of heaviness on the album and is a duet with the female singer from Battle Beast.   Neither of these singers have the talent of Kiske or Somerville but I think I prefer it to most of the stuff on City Of Heroes - it has a bit more of a rocking edge to it I think , especially for a single.

Soundwise ...........well I suppose it's on the good end of the crap we're hearing lately. It's compressed but at least it's a fairly clear mix.

Anyway.......see what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPWyu0x4ssg
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:01:37 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Soundwise it seemed pretty good to me. Clear mix, and while I wouldn't say definitively from Youtube, it didn't sound too compressed to me. Maybe a DR7, maybe even pushing an 8 judging from where I had the volume.

Didn't mind the music and vocals either. Not something I'd go out of my way to listen to, but it wasn't bad.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Eh, it was average at best IMO.  The song itself wasn't too bad, but I didn't like the vox, and the guitar solo was shithouse.  Man how I've changed.  We've just heard it all before.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
We've just heard it all before.

Not bad = awesome at the moment  ;)  ;D

I thought the song had enough as a single to warrant a listen when the album comes out anyway.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Maybe just hearing the guys voice might be better.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
As far as I know that's the only song on the album with a female vocal.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Not something I would listen to either, but decent

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oddly enough, I read a pretty positive review of the Crystal Ball last night and have them on my list of things to check out today.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
RIP Craig Gruber
https://bravewords.com/news/original-rainbow-elf-bassist-craig-gruber-dead-at-63

I really don't know much of Craig but sad to hear anyway - the number of our idols passing away is gathering pace I'm afraid and it's unlikely to slow.  :(

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, listening to the Lepond album and I must say, your Armored Saint comparison is spot fuc#ing on! :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, listening to the Lepond album and I must say, your Armored Saint comparison is spot fuc#ing on! :metal

:tup It was very obvious on some tracks and not so much on others.  I also thought the singer sounded very Matt Barlow at stages too.   It's the dude from Hades if I'm not getting my wires crossed.

I've just connected up a birthday gift - my first (non laptop) webcam.  You generally find with me that I'll be about 5-10+ years behind the times when it comes to tech and especially phones/social media. And when I do sorta catch up with the times it'll be a hand me down or a gift :)

I wanted it so I could chat with a mate overseas but just for a laugh I've issued myself the BL5150 hard rock/metal t-shirt challenge.    Each day on my first post I'll include a photo of today's shirt and we'll see how long I can go without wearing the same shirt twice. :lol      It's just a bit of fun for me and so I can have a muck around with the camera,  but you may wish to comment on the band/album/shirt/tour ...........it'll also allow me to figure out what I've got in the old wardrobe and detect if the missus has started throwing stuff out again  >:(     I honestly have no idea what I still have left and I generally rotate the same 5-10 around for daily use.   I won't delve into my memorabilia vault (mostly VH/KISS) , just the wardrobe and we'll see what it turns up.

And I'll also get some Top 10s happening soon.

Here's tonight's fashion.  And fwiw I thought A Different Kind Of Truth was surprisingly good. The gig ? ......it pains me to say it but Aerosmith blew them off the stage.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:50:34 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:tup It was very obvious on some tracks and not so much on others.  I also thought the singer sounded very Matt Barlow at stages too.   It's the dude from Hades if I'm not getting my wires crossed.
Yes, a lot like Barlow. Not familiar with Hades and since I bought the Amazom mp3 album, I couldn't even tell you the guys name, but he is excellent. I must check out Hades then..
Such classic East Coast heavy metal. Not sure why it was not more liked. I'd take it over the last Primal Fear any day (looking at you, Wolfie!)!

And ADKOT was fantastic. Totally shocked at how good it was.
And if Aerosmith blew VH off the stage, they MUST have been bad. I always thought Aerosmith was quite underwhelming live. I like them and all, but never found their shows that great TBH. Of course I haven't seen them since the Pump tour.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I had low expectations for that album, but likewise, was very impressed with the album. Loved it and still enjoy it as much as when it was released.

Live show....meh

Offline Lowdz

Eh, it was average at best IMO.  The song itself wasn't too bad, but I didn't like the vox, and the guitar solo was shithouse.  Man how I've changed.  We've just heard it all before.

I didn't mind that but you're right about the solo - that's not going to cut it in this day and age.. I am familiar with them but wouldn't say I'm a fan.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Live show....meh

The thought of saying that about a VH live show would've been laughable back in the day - sometimes I wish I was 18 in early 80's and had a chance to see some of these bands in their absolute prime.  It would've involved overseas travel where VH is concerned .

Speaking of the early 80's..........this one's for you Tim.  Built To Destroy 1984 tour shirt - I have a feeling I wasn't there at the age of 10 , so I have no idea where it came from  :D

As far as that album goes I like the first couple of tracks and from there not much interests me.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Saw VH on 3/18/84 when I was 15 1/2. Turns out The Lovely Mrs TAC saw them the night before. Of course it would be 12 more years before I actually met her.

Regarding MSG's Built To Destroy, I have to say that when it came out, I remember it sounded so awful. The production was terrible. But It has aged greatly, as I have some reissue.
Great tunes on it. Red Sky, Dogs Of War, Rock My Nights Away, Rock Will Never Die, I'm Gonna Make You Mine, Captain Nemo.
I actually prefer it to the first MSG album, and rank it #2 out of the original 4 MSG albums.

Been in a wicked Schenker mood lately.
BTW, I see you mentioned Perfect Timing in your '87 HM's. I must say that after a lengthy absence after BTD, I was thrilled when he returned with Robin McCauley. thrilled, that is, until I heard the album, which is pretty damned weak if you ask me, and has not aged well.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have always thought Perfect Timing is over rated - it was at stages hailed as an all time classic but more in the melodic rock vein as it's pretty commercial.  It just scraped into my HM's with 80% (which may be a touch generous) and it also barely scraped in as "hard rock" but when in doubt I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to an artist with a history of good work in a given genre.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Save Yourself was much stronger as Schenker is pretty much ripping over it. The 3rd McCauley Schenker album was also pretty mellow (weak) although it has Never Ending Nightmare which is one of Schenker's best ever.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
All of those albums have a lot of stuff I really like and dislike and they're tough to rate.  Nightmare is a great track for sure.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I have always thought Perfect Timing is over rated - it was at stages hailed as an all time classic but more in the melodic rock vein as it's pretty commercial.  It just scraped into my HM's with 80% (which may be a touch generous) and it also barely scraped in as "hard rock" but when in doubt I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to an artist with a history of good work in a given genre.

Yeah a couple of decent songs but Save Yourself is far better.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Here's Schenker's band the other night.  Looking good , having fun and thankfully not the train wreck you could expect to see not so long ago.

https://youtu.be/UO0yq88xoDo

Today's fashion......almost universally enjoyed in these parts

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:34:21 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Here's Schenker's band the other night.  Looking good , having fun and thankfully not the train wreck you could expect to see not so long ago.
He is in as good a place musically than he has been in a very long time. Almost ever, not counting the classic UFO days. I have been a huge Schenker fan for a very long time, and his last two albums and tours for each have been a couple of his strongest of his entire career. He is playing as well as he ever has, and for once, looks happy and content, which for this man is no easy task.

After his 2nd MSG album, which is a Top 5 or 6 for me, I rate Bridge The Gap as my all time #2 MSG album, with Spirit On A Mission not far behind.

Seen them a bunch of times back in the day, including a couple of times on the RiP tour, and have never bought a Megadeth t shirt.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have very little in the way of thrasher shirts - or even classic metal shirts.  I wouldn't mind getting myself a few more classic metal shirts actually.  When I was buying most of my shirts back in the late 80's/early 90's I was more into hard rock with a side of metal. 

I probably wouldn't wear a Vic or Eddie shirt out and about these days either , unless I was at a metal gig - even though I'm a big kid who lives in black t-shirts I sorta feel like I'm growing out of that stuff a bit :lol    I imagine there'll be a few embarrassing shirts that'll surface.  Just because I post a photo doesn't mean I intend wearing them out :lol
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:23:17 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Seems like Richie is fitting in very well with the band

Offline Lowdz

I have very little in the way of thrasher shirts - or even classic metal shirts.  I wouldn't mind getting myself a few more classic metal shirts actually.  When I was buying most of my shirts back in the late 80's/early 90's I was more into hard rock with a side of metal. 

I probably wouldn't wear a Vic or Eddie shirt out and about these days either , unless I was at a metal gig - even though I'm a big kid who lives in black t-shirts I sorta feel like I'm growing out of that stuff a bit :lol    I imagine there'll be a few embarrassing shirts that'll surface.  Just because I post a photo doesn't mean I intend wearing them out :lol

I'm wearing a Number oF The Beast shirt today. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. I live in  my band shirts. When I think of all the tour shirts that have been thrown away over the years ... :facepalm:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That's a shame.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

That's a shame.

Believe it or not I was waiting for that  :lol

I live in  my band shirts.

As do I .   At a guess I would wear black trakky daks or board shorts and a band shirt 350 days a year , which probably gives you an indication in general of how many shits I give about what people think.    We actually had this conversation last night - me and the missus.

We were going out to a dinner to a pub for Mothers day and I went to the trouble of dolling myself up in some jeans (and a band shirt  :metal ) and I got a lecture on how I could at least wear a proper shirt.  My reply was along the lines of "It's just a bloody pub"and the chorus from my favourite Great White song  :lol   What's it called again?

I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.

You are officially the first person to ever accuse me of giving a shit what people think when it comes to clothes :lol

In general I 100% agree but let's say tomorrow you lose the plot and start getting into Grindcore music.  I dunno if you've seen some of the album covers but they're bloody disgusting , and I'm no prude.  So you say alright - I like the music so therefore I'm going to wear this shirt with a disemboweled female with her head in a toilet having various acts performed on her.    You don't care what anyone thinks.  Extreme I know but a blanket "I don't care" is a bit simplistic for me at least.

It also may not be about what others think necessarily and more about what you feel comfortable with in yourself and that's what I actually said........I feel like I'm growing out of some of that stuff a bit.  I never meant to make this an essay on selecting metal fashion but what the hell.  :)  I'll try to explain where I was coming from.

I'll discuss a few scenarios:

1) There are certain things that I used to be obsessed with as a kid and which I now just don't feel are very "me".  The cartoonish/ghoulish/offensive side of metal graphics (less so in the music) is one -playing with action figures, making paper planes and watching wrestling are others.  When I say I've grown out of them that's not to  imply that people who still play with toys and watch wrestling should grow up -not at all.  My 74 yo dad collects model cars and watches wrestling to this day and he's someone I respect immensely.  They're just things I enjoyed in my teens and simply can't relate to any more. 

2) Once I started thinking about this I also found another little subconscious train of thought.......one which you may find rather weird  :angel:  When I pick a metal shirt to go out in (and I'd never considered this before) I do not care what people think of me in most situations (see below for exceptions) but I do care somewhat how 'our music" and its fans are perceived.  The few of us out there who feel proud enough to wear our metal shirts everywhere are ambassadors for true metal  :lol  I'm hearing Eric Adams as I type this with my tongue in my cheek slightly.

You know how seriously I rate the music we love though and yet the vast majority of people I know pigeonhole us fans as bogans , morons and/or devil worshippers or something.  In a weird way - in addition to not feeling very "me" anymore (which is the main factor)  - I also feel like I don't need to give them more ammo by wearing chicks with dicks on a Poison shirt , a "Metal Up Your Arse" Metallica shirt , A Steel Panther STD Tour shirt,  Manowar in their loin cloths, or say this

, or even this.....(which I kinda like :lol)

And they're tame relatively speaking. That's not to say I won't get out some absolutely horrible stuff for the next Steel Panther gig or the KISS gig in October and have a fun night , but it's not the sort of stuff I want to wear regularly these days.

I was thinking about starting a worst album covers thread and you're forcing me to use some of my best material :)

3) Let's take a relatively tame shirt

Most days I do either the school drop off or pick up.  It may not bother others but to me it's not cool to wear something like that as not only does it reinforce the stereotype of idiot metal fans , it reflects badly on my son and likely me as a parent in the eyes of others.  I'm also very conscious of not doing anything that could get my 7yo boy bullied - that is something I seriously care about.   And again , aside from perhaps KISS,  it's more of the cartoonish/offensive image of metal that I feel I've gone past a bit. 

I'll give you another example.  I spent 10 years as a community pharmacist from 1994-2004 and ,as happens , you become a bit of a local celebrity and I would've known a vast majority of the community (and their kids) on a first name basis.  We're talking maybe 500 families who I would see everywhere I go out of hours. 

Again ..it may not bother others but in that scenario I always felt a responsibility not to wear stuff that could cause offense (or fright in the case of Eddie/Vic) to a whole bunch of parents/kids who looked up to me (and my employer) as someone they could trust with their health. 

Still.........relative to anyone I know I'm by far and away the least fashion conscious :lol

Anyway........it's all really academic and we all do what we're comfy with.  Sorry for the rant - the words are flowing tonight for some reason on a topic that probably doesn't deserve them  :angel:

Let's get some Top 10's started tomorrow  :metal
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:34:30 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Wow. Wasn't getting at you man. I wouldn't wear those either and never would have - they aren't me. I wouldn't go out of my way to offend but I have worn the G 'n' R "rape" shirt and less than subtle WASP shirts in the past and I probably still would in the right context. I do the school run too and wear Maiden shirts for that. I understand what you're saying but I wasn't insulting your manhood  :biggrin: You're an Aussie and I know you take these things seriously  :lol

I do remember one time I wore a DT shirt to work (though t-shirts weren't really allowed) when I was working on a psychiatric ward.

I hadn't realised that there is a hanging symbol on there . A patient saw it and was a bit upset and I felt awful too. So yes, not always appropriate.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't worry mate , I wasn't offended at all and made a conscious effort to not sound that way.   Looks like I failed .......sorry about that  :angel:   

I just thought it was an interesting discussion - we're few and far between ,those of us who live in these relics  :lol And the concept of me being fashion conscious (that's a world first) really shocked my brain and got me thinking. :) And once I get on a roll.......... ::)

Personally I wouldn't feel right wearing the GnR rape shirt but it's representative of a time and sound that we love and so I'm not going to judge anyone for it.  It's just not "me" any more. Same goes for the cover of an album I love - Hurricane's Slave To The Thrill.

Another one I am wary of is my WASP Crimson Idol shirt (with Blackie on the cross).  Now that's mega tame in WASP terms but the mother in law is very religious and I try to avoid wearing it if I know she'll be around.  No use creating problems if you can avoid 'em especially with the outlaws.  I don't respond well to being preached to either.  :\

For the record I don't find any Iron maiden or Megadeth shirts offensive (none that I can think of anyway) - as I've said it's more that I don't relate as much these days to that style/imagery and I've sure got plenty of others to choose from that I might like better  :lol
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:48:19 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
While we're not strictly required to wear all-out official suits and stuff at work, most of my colleagues usually do; and I usually don't give a shit about our unofficial dress-code and wear rock or metal t-shirt with jeans every day (I'm working as helicopter design engineer and there's all the government orders, important conferences and stuff). Granted, I don't have any of that offensive t-shirts Brent posted. :lol I guess the most offensive t-shirt I was wearing was this one:

Only the pic was smaller and the band's name was above the pic, thus the boobs were clearly visible. That being said, I get those reproachful looks from time to time even when the t-shirts are totally safe and alright, like Helloween - Straight out of Hell, Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead or some of the newer Dream Theater ones, I guess some people are offended by every tiny reminder of metal.

This probably doesn't belong to this thread, but anyway thought I'll share; I also got a lot of posters on those partitions around my working place, and they tend to trigger some funny reactions from other people. I've got two "This is some kind of book, right?" questions at my Ayreon and Axel Rudi Pell posters, and also one about which theater I was visiting at my Dream Theater poster. :lol The most difficult thing when this happens is not to laugh, I guess.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

. I've got two "This is some kind of book, right?" questions at my Ayreon

Sorta correct  :lol

That being said, I get those reproachful looks from time to time even when the t-shirts are totally safe and alright, like Helloween - Straight out of Hell, Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead or some of the newer Dream Theater ones, I guess some people are offended by every tiny reminder of metal.

One thing that's pretty clear these days (dunno if it's just Australia) but people are just itching to get outraged over something - anything.

I actually even used to wear metal shirts in my pharmacist gig - just with a white coat over the top....if some of the PC police knew that I would've been in strife.   Beats a shirt and tie any day :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au