Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909712 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't hold me to it but I'm pretty sure it was recorded specifically for the re-issue rather than being a leftover from the AOC recording sessions.  it may well have been written back around that time though.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's cool.  That's how re-releases should be, bands putting in an effort and getting something new and making it worthwhile.  The covers on that one are pretty decent too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That Kick Axe you asked about jj................it's solid but that's about it.  They really only have a couple of songs that I return to .  On the whole I'd rate it weaker than Vices....and I rated Vices 78%
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah everything I've heard from Kick Axe I would say is just decent. Nothing too great.

And that Virgin Steele album cover is pretty cool. I saw on blabber that there were three different album covers for that disc

Offline Lowdz

I'd love to hear Virgin Steele with a huge ManOwaR style production. Things always sound a bit "done on the cheap", with DD trying to sound like a choir instead of a real huge choir. If you're going to do epic you've got to be EPIC.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd love to hear Virgin Steele with a huge ManOwaR style production. Things always sound a bit "done on the cheap", with DD trying to sound like a choir instead of a real huge choir. If you're going to do epic you've got to be EPIC.

You make a really good point here.  The last albm was just okay, but it was mainly the shitty production that let it down.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

You make a really good point here.  The last albm was just okay, but it was mainly the shitty production that let it down.

I found that the album before that, Visions of Eden, just seemed to drag on.  I never bothered with the last one.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree - they've always sounded like a half assed Manowar mostly due to production issues but Defeis' songwriting has at times been some of the best in the genre.  Defeis writing songs (and producing videos  ;) ) for Manowar could be amazing , as would a Manowar style production on some of VS's material but they've never managed to totally nail everything .

If I had to name a favourite song I suppose it would be The Burning of Rome.  Age of Consent has some downright dogs but that and Desert Plains are top notch.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I found that the album before that, Visions of Eden, just seemed to drag on.  I never bothered with the last one.

Yeah, a couple of good songs, but yeah a struggle to listen to.

I agree - they've always sounded like a half assed Manowar mostly due to production issues but Defeis' songwriting has at times been some of the best in the genre.  Defeis writing songs (and producing videos  ;) ) for Manowar could be amazing , as would a Manowar style production on some of VS's material but they've never managed to totally nail everything .

If I had to name a favourite song I suppose it would be The Burning of Rome.  Age of Consent has some downright dogs but that and Desert Plains are top notch.

I still gotta properly listen to all the old albums I got a few months back.  Invictus was easily the best IMO with Marriage Part 1 I think being a close second.

Burning of Rome is definitely the highlight of AOC.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't have anything to offer to the Virgin Steel discussion, but if I ever do a TAC Top 50 v.2, Jack Starr's Out Of The Darkness would surely be on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't have anything to offer to the Virgin Steel discussion, but if I ever do a TAC Top 50 v.2, Jack Starr's Out Of The Darkness would surely be on it.

Just checked on that and I reviewed it for 1984.  Didn't do much for me .    No Turning Back had a lot more on it that I liked.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well I was a big Riot fan and the fact that Rhett Forrester was on it was cool. In 1984, that was a bitchin' album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Rhett Forrester's (RIP) output frustrates me   - he's one of those guys where I like his voice but he's never sung on many songs that I like . 

In my 1984 KISS and Van Halen were bitchin and that is all :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Well I was a big Riot fan and the fact that Rhett Forrester was on it was cool. In 1984, that was a bitchin' album.

I'm sure it was brought up before, but did you check out Riots release from last year- Unleash the Fire!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That Riot (V) album was really strong - a couple of fillers but otherwise very consistent and I rated it somwhere in the mid-high 80's.   I'm pretty sure Tim had initial reservations when it was talked about here but rapidly saw the light  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
From what I listened to, it sounded old school and good!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Riot V is a GREAT album!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll check this one out too, only know a couple of the old school Riot albums.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't heard everything from Riot but "Fire Down Under" is the stand out from what I have heard

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a great album.  Thundersteel is a ripper too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
As well as Restless Breed

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Another new singer for Red Dragon Cartel  ::)    I expressed my doubts about the last guy but didn't realise it got that bad  :lol

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jake-e-lees-red-dragon-cartel-taps-singer-chas-west-for-next-round-of-dates/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:52:57 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Blah. It's not good for a band when they can't get a stable band together, especially when it's the frontman. I was glad they got rid of the first dude, but it doesn't sound like the situation is improving any. I don't expect they'll get to a second album at this rate.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Jake needs a decent manager - badly.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
He's still got the chops, and even though the album wasn't good overall, there were a few songs that lead me to believe he's still got the ability to write great rock. They need to get their shit together with a real singer, and write an album as a true band.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
if you listen to some of the interview at the bottom with Anthony Esposito it's interesting how much involvement he had in make Ace Frehley a bit less of a trainwreck ,so hopefully he can be a positive influence on Jake and his decision making.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didn't check out the video, but I hope he can become a more active part of the band and help bring it to a good place.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
This Chas West sounds good and has some decent credentials. But overall, this band has been a comedy relief

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I couldn't be bothered with this band.  Jake deserves so much more.  He should just join someone high profile or make a proper supergroup or something.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Can't link it from my phone but Bravewords is reporting that Mike Howe is back in Metal Church!! :metal :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow........ :tup   Blessing In Disguise/Hanging In The Balance got a spot in my Top 50 so I'll be all over this.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:07:48 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Last weekend in Brazil.........would've loved to be there.  I've seen some footage of Ozzy and he sounded pretty good.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Would have went mainly for Primal Fear, Accept and Unisonic, and probably Yngwie.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Would that 'guest' be Bill Ward? Nahh...didn't think so.....  :yarr
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow what a line up!

And Mike Howe back in Metal Church will be very cool!!