Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896536 times)

Offline Lowdz

Good to hear you're feeling better!!

And it sounds like the Benster is turning into a solid rocker

Yeah, seconded.
My kids were singing along to Night Ranger today in the car. Well, the sun was out and it was an unseasonally nice day here in the north of England so some of the "good weather" music came out. NR, Survivor, Van Halen (the kids loved Jump!), and BJ's New Jersey.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks guys...........as far as where the photos were taken Tim - it was south east Queensland (Sunshine Coast).  It was always my favourite holiday spot but unfortunately these days it carries mixed feelings for me  as (very long story short) a project I got involved in there with some less than honorable partners a number of years back has turned me from a retired 35 yo into a struggling 40 yo and that's before the leg.  Anyway  ::)

You can draw a line across the northernmost  10-15% of Australia and that's saltwater croc country - so I wasn't that far  north.  There's not too much to worry about in Noosa from the wildlife - plenty of scary looking lizards/goannas and so forth but they're not looking to do you harm.  I saw my first koala in the wild on this trip and got some nice photos of him too.  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm through my first listen to Schenker's newie and it's much more my cup of tea than the UFO.   It does have the odd plodder (Brent tunes out) but for the most part it's a nice combination of bands like MSG , UFO, Thin Lizzy  etc.....one track has a distinct Rainbow vibe too.  I seem to be saying this a lot lately but it's 3 or 4 tracks too long.  If they'd stopped at track 8 my rating would be somewhere close to 90%.  As it is though tracks 9 through 11 are IMHO filler and the final track sorta gets things back on track a bit.

On the whole though it's a nicely rocking record that has more balls and inspiration in its little finger than the UFO had.  Speaking of inspiration Doogie's aping of Glenn Hughes on the second track was just a bit too obvious.  :lol

On the whole : 82% and that could grow a bit with time ,if anything.  I'm sure most here will at least like a few tracks on it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:50:38 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks guys...........as far as where the photos were taken Tim - it was south east Queensland (Sunshine Coast).  It was always my favourite holiday spot but unfortunately these days it carries mixed feelings for me  as (very long story short) a project I got involved in there with some less than honorable partners a number of years back has turned me from a retired 35 yo into a struggling 40 yo and that's before the leg.  Anyway  ::)

I never really understood the love for the Sunny Coast to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I never really understood the love for the Sunny Coast to be honest.

The scenery looked amazing.

Thanks for the update on the Schenker. Looking forward to hearing it!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I guess it is a nice holiday destination.  I guess I'm just more of a city guy, never been much into beaches and stuff.  For me, just doesn't seem like much up there.  Saying that, I also have some nice memories as a kid going up there yearly visiting relatives.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Check out Jim's hair dudes  :lol   It's like Metal Wayne's World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCWw1fQIvSo

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Was thinking about AJ Pero and classic Twisted Sister today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpHxf3t_igU
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Was thinking about AJ Pero and classic Twisted Sister today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpHxf3t_igU

:metal   Did the movie "We Are Twisted Fucking Sister" ever get a DVD release?  I can't find any reference to it.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm not sure. The trailer was fantastic and gave me goosebumps.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It doesn't sound much like Bonfire without Claus but I like David Reece and this sounds alright to me.  Will keep an ear out in April for its release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v56ncU2J7XU&

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard that Reece is in Bonfire. That's a solid band and the song sounds pretty good.

I would also like to see that TS doc, looks great!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought I had a bit of a find for you guys today - that Project Ravenblack I posted in the album thread.  Some little known guitarist who has managed to get guys like Boals , Doogie White, Jon Oliva, Andre Matos etc....to sing on his album.   I'm only 2/3rds through but unfortunately it's like most of these multi vocalist albums - the roster is far more impressive than the songs  :-\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn man, that list of singers is too damn good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn man, that list of singers is too damn good.

And I left out James Christian and Amanda Somerville  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not worth a listen at all?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It's certainly listenable/competent but IMO the songs just ain't anything special.  Not terrible but I'd be struggling to rate it  much more than 65-70%

I thought you may like to check it out anyway which is the only reason I bothered noting it.  Having said that - just don't expect anything fantastic.

Here's the website

https://www.ravenblackproject.com/home/

Worth a look to see the latest possum Boals has on his scone  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm just getting more picky.  Anything doesn't doesn't really prick my interest right away I'm happy to disregard.  Doesn't matter who's involved anymore, must be getting old.  :lol

EDIT:  lol @ Boals.  He fits in Dokken nicely.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Halfway through my first listen of the new Schenker and I'm loving it. He's added some chunkiness while keeping his trademark sound. lots of tasty licks so far. So far a worthy follow up to Bridge The Gap.

Yes this rocks much harder than the UFO, but unfortunately that is what UFO is at this point. But I will say Vinnie has added a ton of shred to his solos on Stars. I've always felt he's held back that part of his playing for the most part, but he seems to let loose a little more.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Triple post FTW!! :metal

I'm through my first listen to Schenker's newie and it's much more my cup of tea than the UFO.   It does have the odd plodder (Brent tunes out) but for the most part it's a nice combination of bands like MSG , UFO, Thin Lizzy  etc.....one track has a distinct Rainbow vibe too.  I seem to be saying this a lot lately but it's 3 or 4 tracks too long.  If they'd stopped at track 8 my rating would be somewhere close to 90%.  As it is though tracks 9 through 11 are IMHO filler and the final track sorta gets things back on track a bit.

OK, now I'm through my first listen. This album is awesome!!

Brent, the latter part of the album didn't drag for me as it did for you, but generally speaking, ALL albums are 3-4 songs too long.
Now I feel about Schenker the way you/Brent feels about Eddie Van Halen.
Michael Schenker is my absolute favorite guitar player. My biggest problem over his career is that he is very song oriented, and rarely takes the selfish approach and shows you why he's so freaking amazing. To me, that's led to a lot of mediocre stuff. And while the first Temple Of Rock album was all over the place, these last two have been fantastic.

I think the songs on Bridge The Gap are better written and more memorable, and while Schenker sounds great, he stops just short of going off. But he is the most unleashed on Spirit that I can literally ever remember. I'm thinking as far back as Obsession. Seriously.

The album loses points for some cheesy lyrics.

Edit: And there is no way that this is Bucholz and Rarebell is it?? Wow! Especially Rarebell. I thought he sucked in Scorpions. Maybe they are responsible for Schenker's inspiration..

93% :P

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :D  Aside from that run from track 9-11 I think we're on the same page here.  I think his slightly more adventurous playing was what made me think of Written In The Sand - he plays great on that and plenty of fans don't even know that record exists.  When I picked it up it was a Jap only release but it copped a Euro release later . if you have the Euro release and want the re-recorded Into The Arena and Cry For The Nations (Jap only) , let me know.

Glad you liked it as much as anticipated.

Shit - did you just edit that up a point while I was typing? :lol

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:20:40 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Haven't been to a pub gig in years for a variety of reasons but a big one is that nobody plays any decent music any more  :lol    So what the hell........me and the little sis are going to a quadruple tribute show this Saturday night.  Should attract an interesting crowd.

KISS , Def Leppard, Bon Jovi and Poison tributes all on the one night.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Hopefully lots of Cougars at the show!

Always enjoy tribute bands

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
That show looks amazing. Cover/tribute bands can be entertaining whether they're good or bad, because picking them apart is half the fun when you know the band well. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7UxOrBb0Is

Whitesnake's new version of Burn.  Fucking horrible.  Why is Reb's guitar playing so shit?

Again, Jorn's recent version is much better.  Hell, WASP's version from their last album was a ton better too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I suppose this shows you how much faith you can place in reviews sometimes.   The Purple Album is getting very strong reviews from what I've seen .........as far as I'm concerned Cov sounds bloody awful , even with all the studio tricks at his disposal.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
JJ asked for my view on the new Impellitteri in the album thread,so................

It's classic Impellitteri/Racer X type stuff if that floats your boat - over the top metal with intense riffs/solos , pretty lame lyrics  and so on.................in other words , super awesome  :lol

By the end of the disc I was a bit over it but I had a huge grin on my face as things got started with the opening (and title) track.   It's just so  :metal :metal it's hard to know whether to bang your head or laugh or both.   Imagine an awesome intense riff and then Rob Rock comes in over the top in classic metal screamer style with:

"Are you readyyyyyyyyyyy - one , two , three...............Venoooooooooooooooooooooom"  :lol   :metal :metal

The opening track is a ball tearer but I rate the album 75% overall - it's just a bit one dimensional but I love that title track just for its over the top metal-ness  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Whitesnake's new version of Burn.  Fucking horrible.  Why is Reb's guitar playing so shit?

Again, Jorn's recent version is much better.  Hell, WASP's version from their last album was a ton better too.

Jorn's version is terrible, completely unlistenable. His singing is of course great, but musically it's a trainwreck. You can't tell what beat it's even supposed to be on because of the crappy triggered metal drumming, and the guitars are awful. Original > everything.

I thought the new Whitesnake cover was slightly better than their Stormbringer cover. Musically I thought it was overall decent, but Coverdale can't sing that song as good as the original even tuned down, and the solos aren't up to the original.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Hopefully lots of Cougars at the show!

Always enjoy tribute bands

There cover cougars just like the bands. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not gonna even check out the samples to that Whitesnake, and definetely not picking it up.

Impellitteri disc sounds cool

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK JJ...........Black Star Riders.   Like the UFO there's my opinion and the rest , and my opinion on this is about the same  :lol    The new Black Star Riders -like the UFO -  seems to be getting glowing reviews wherever you look.  To me it's okay but for a large part it was a snooze.  The title track is pretty strong , there are a few cool tracks in the mid section and the closer rocks a bit but for the most part I'd say "only if you're a Thin Lizzy completist."

I'm not sure that I like a singer purposely aping another singer like Warwick does - admittedly it's more pronounced on some tracks than others.  The title track sounds like it's trying to be The Boys Are Back In Town II.   You said you really liked that track ,so then perhaps that's a start. I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me.

In terms of the whole album it's mostly this sort of middle of the road , plodding semi-bluesy classic rock.  Now my ears can tolerate anything from very pissweak to very heavy -  ideally heavy and melodic.  If it's not heavy then it needs to have lush melodies etc..... and if it doesn't have huge melodies it needs to have balls at the very least.  This sort of stuff sits in the middle of nowhere for me -  it's not very melodic and it has little in the way of intent/balls.

As I said - my opinion seems to be in the minority on this one but at the very least I'd recommend a good listen before buying.  Listenable but mostly uninspiring for me.......with 3 or 4 stand out tracks.

I rate it around 72% but I expect you'll like it better than me .

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:29:20 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Copy, thanks Brent

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Jorn's version is terrible, completely unlistenable. His singing is of course great, but musically it's a trainwreck. You can't tell what beat it's even supposed to be on because of the crappy triggered metal drumming, and the guitars are awful. Original > everything.

I thought the new Whitesnake cover was slightly better than their Stormbringer cover. Musically I thought it was overall decent, but Coverdale can't sing that song as good as the original even tuned down, and the solos aren't up to the original.

You go out of your way to disagree with me hey?  :lol

The solos were one of my biggest problems, they are terrible IMO, Reb's sounds awful and Joel adds nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Freaking awesome!!
I LOVE Flotsam & Jetsam. What a great choice to replace Kelly Smith!
https://bravewords.com/news/flotsam-and-jetsam-drum-tracking-with-jason-bittner-video
Loses a cymbal at 4:48. :metal