Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896956 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Gunners and Whitesnake are early predictions to top your 87 list

These would be the correct answers.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I bought my first three 2015 albums while on vacation last week: Serious Black, Level 10, and Shadowquest.

I must say that my second spin of Serious Black was 10 times better than the first one!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, Serious Black is really good IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I was watching a Harry Potter movie with my son the other day........never seen any of them before........and I was half watching , half snoozing and guess what shocked me out of my slumber?   Serious Black  :lol     Turns out the dude's name is Sirius Black but hey - close enough.   ;D

Those music antennae never switch off.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I wouldn't care if there was even a cameo from Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson, no way would I watch a second of Harry Potter lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol  hence the snoozing.   As far as stuff for 7 year olds goes it's above average  ;)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR35pRz7JQ8

New The Darkness single " Barbarian ".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Chris Holmes' latest vid............I rate this 99%.........not  :lol    They should get him to do some stuff for Frontiers - at least it'd be sorta interesting  :angel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTIWzgExzAA

:lol Not as bad as the last video with the electric drumkit and the green sheet not doing anything and the exercise equipment in shot....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I was watching a Harry Potter movie with my son the other day........never seen any of them before........and I was half watching , half snoozing and guess what shocked me out of my slumber?   Serious Black  :lol     Turns out the dude's name is Sirius Black but hey - close enough.   ;D
Woah! You serious? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
By the way, I touched base with Chad. All good with him; he will make his highly anticipated return at some point. Unknown timeframe

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
By the way, I touched base with Chad. All good with him; he will make his highly anticipated return at some point. Unknown timeframe

That's good news.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

That's good news.

That IS good news.

I was thinking of him last week while we were at EPCOT outside the Star Tours ride.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

That's good news.

That IS good news.

I was thinking of him last week while we were at EPCOT outside the Star Tours ride.

Fantastic news. I've been resisting sending him a PM like an Motha :censored. If anyone speaks with him, give him my best.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
He is all good, just tied up with a few things. I guess some things in life are more important then DTF. Hard to believe lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
He is all good, just tied up with a few things. I guess some things in life are more important then DTF. Hard to believe lol

Offline Lowdz

He sent me a birthday message on Facebook a couple of weeks ago so I knew he was fine. Miss the old man.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
He actually popped in here for a while and started a birthday thread for you Paul - which presumably you missed.

I've checked in via email myself a couple of weeks back , just to make sure old age hadn't claimed him  ;D   In actual fact (as I related to Chad) I first checked that his last.fm was still active (which it was)........if he'd stopped listening to music then I knew there must be a troubling imbalance in the force.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Where do I sign up?

https://www.odditycentral.com/tag/roger-tullgren

Old article but still a bit of a legend :D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow! I think I'll start skipping work today lol

Offline Lowdz

He actually popped in here for a while and started a birthday thread for you Paul - which presumably you missed.

I've checked in via email myself a couple of weeks back , just to make sure old age hadn't claimed him  ;D   In actual fact (as I related to Chad) I first checked that his last.fm was still active (which it was)........if he'd stopped listening to music then I knew there must be a troubling imbalance in the force.

Whoops yup, missed that. Aww, feeling loved  :heart

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
New Whitesnake studio album is just re-records of his old material. :tdwn Poop.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Were we under any illusion that Coverdale could serviceably sing any new material?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Were we under any illusion that Coverdale could serviceably sing any new material?  ???

Given his performance on the other recent studio albums, I'd have absolutely no reason to doubt his ability to sing new material. Singing new material would be more suited to him anyway, since it can be written to his current vocal range. Your question makes no sense.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
It makes perfect sense.  If they are merely re-records where they are using old vocals from a time when he could actually sing, it will sound better than if he is trying to croak out vocals now.  Not sure what doesn't make sense about that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
What are you on about? They're re-records. Who said anything about old vocals?

Offline Lowdz

If only they had used the old vocals. These are terrible. And covered in layers of people who can sing now. Coverdale's voice died years ago. It was awesome whilst it lasted though.
Its a pretty crap cover all told tbh. Solo's shit too - I expect better  of Reb - wahwah all over it - usually a sign there's not much interesting going on. Lots of keyboard whooshy sounds. Not much to recommend this.

Just listen to the awesome original.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
If only they had used the old vocals. These are terrible. And covered in layers of people who can sing now. 
Really?  I just assumed they would use an old vocal track, because:
If only they had used the old vocals. These are terrible. And covered in layers of people who can sing now. Coverdale's voice died years ago.

That is disappointing.

Offline Deathless

I was wondering how they managed to do a record so quickly, because Coverdale seemed like he didn't want to write a full-length. I assume doing a re-record of covers is easier.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Whitesnake....,Yawn!

Seriously.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Whitesnake....,Yawn!

Seriously.

?  Don't like them?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If only they had used the old vocals. These are terrible. And covered in layers of people who can sing now. Coverdale's voice died years ago. It was awesome whilst it lasted though.
Its a pretty crap cover all told tbh.

This.    The biggest achievement here from Cov is looking older than Tommy Aldridge and that's tough to do  ;D.   This is possibly the finish for Whitesnake as he's clearly struggling even in a studio environment now.

I think Joel should've stuck with Night Ranger.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:44:22 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Deathless

Its a pretty crap cover all told tbh.

This.    The biggest achievement here from Cov is looking older than Tommy Aldridge and that's tough to do.   This is possibly the finish for Whitesnake as he's clearly struggling even in a studio environment now.

I think Joel should've stuck with Night Ranger.

It's tough. I'm sure WS is a better pay-day over Night Ranger, and how much longer does Night Ranger have? I know they released a new album that year, but they basically just do the summer circuit every year. I believe Joel still plays with TSO, right? He can stay busy year around now.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm sure WS is a better pay-day over Night Ranger, and how much longer does Night Ranger have?

That's what I was getting at. Short term pay day and zero publishing vs (IMO) a much longer term writing and touring prospect with Night Ranger albeit to smaller crowds.   Those guys seem determined to go on for some time yet and have the vocal chops to do it.   And Reb seems to have finally taken over main guitarist duties in Whitesnake - which he deserves.

I dunno.........I think creatively and as a long term band Night Ranger is the better option.   Of course a short term pay day with Whitsnake and then onto something else (incl TSO) is likely where he's at.

I'm not really rapt with what either band are doing .   Whitesnake are really just a touring band now with Cov shrieking over background singers taking most of the weight and Night Ranger are a little too "happy" for my taste these days  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Plenty for me to like in there.............

The official line-up for the 2015 MONSTERS OF ROCK CRUISE is as follows:

Tesla; Europe; Night Ranger; Tom Keifer of Cinderella; Extreme; KIX; Queensryche; Krokus; The Winery Dogs; Stryper; Lita Ford; Black Star Riders; Y&T; Zebra; Black ’N Blue; Faster Pussycat; Honeymoon Suite; Tyketto; Keel; John Corabi; Kip Winger; Michael Sweet; Richie Kotzen; Mike Tramp; Joel Hoekstra; Derek St. Holmes; Ron Keel; Leatherwolf; Babylon AD; Bang Tango; Heavens Edge; Frank Hannon Band; Lillian Axe; Rhino Bucket; Pamela Moore; Gabbie Rae; Atomic Punks; and AJ’s Bravehearts.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just discovered this Whitesnake news, seriously, WTF?!

This cover is so dull, lifeless, plodding and boring, with very poor vocals.  And Reb's solo is average at best.  I never thought I'd say that.  What a joke of a release.

Jorn's version is decent, it's much better for a current version of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVtljOiVILs