Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896987 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I believe it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Badass.

just got through Serious Black again, and yeah, there's nothing really weak on here at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Quote from: wolfking
The part you are talking about wouldn't help as it's a total rip off of Edguy's Ministry of Saints.

Now, I don't think it's a bad thing. I don't say they had to continue with it, but I wish they developed it into something more powerful.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I like it, but I can see what you mean with that part.  Love Roland's solo on that song too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
just got through Serious Black again, and yeah, there's nothing really weak on here at all.

OK I'm one listen through it.
It's starts off well enough with the first two songs. The first sign of trouble for me is Sealing My Fate. I just hate how Breed sings this.
It shows up again in the later ballad.
My favorite song is Akhenation.
This album reminds me of the last Masterplan, which should be no surprise, but I must say I like Altzi better. I don't have anything with Urban Breed on it, but all of his samples have always sounded great, but I must say, he's actually a bit annoying by the end of this.

That all said, musically, this is right up my alley. It needs some more spins, and will definitely get them.

Why name this band Serious Black? It doesn't feel real Serious, and it's definitely not Black. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
So I was discussing in GD-side chat that I didn't get into music heavily until the mid to late 90's.  I got everything I could from Kiss, Van Halen, shredders like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, and a slect few others.  Eventually, I got into hair bands and did the same - I listened to that almost exclusively and didn't venture much further.  Now, I realize that there are SO SO many classic albums that I just never ever listened to.  I knew the radio hits (if there were any), but that was it.

So I've been trying to go back and listen to a lot of classic albums that I've never given a proper listen.  For example, in the last week, I've listened to Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman, British Steel, and Screaming for Vengeance.  All great stuff.  Listening to Anthrax's Among the Living currently.  Not liking it as much as I liked STD.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Not liking it as much as I liked STD.

Given the timeframe you got into music, that isn't really surprising.  STD's were definitely in the rise in the '80s, but there was so much talk and awareness and education that they started to decline again by the 90s, so...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  Listening to Anthrax's Among the Living currently.  Not liking it as much as I liked STD.
STD has much more of a classic metal feel. Among has a lot of NY hardcore elements in it. But back in the day, STD kind of came and went. Among really was their breakthrough album because of the outside your normal metal influences.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Not liking it as much as I liked STD.

Given the timeframe you got into music, that isn't really surprising.  STD's were definitely in the rise in the '80s, but there was so much talk and awareness and education that they started to decline again by the 90s, so...

:lol

Bosk..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Uh...

So Level 10 is pretty cool.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I still need some convincing.

Anyway, for the ride to Disney, my theme was relatively recent albums by classic bands. Here's the list:
Uriah Heep-Wake The Sleeper
UFO-The Visitor
Michael Schenker-Bridge The Gap
Saxon-Call To Arms
Anthrax-Worship Music
Armored Saint-La Raza
Flotsam &Jetsam-Ugly Noise
Megadeth-Th1rt3en
Iron Maiden-The Final Frontier
Testament-Dark Roots Of Earth
Unisonic-Light Of Dawn

Unisonic was kind of a cheat I guess, but I'd rather listen to that than recent Helloween.

I also must say that Worship Music finally and absolutely clicked with me. What a great album. Some of the best lead playing on any Anthrax album. I kind of glossed over this a little when it came out.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Having listened to the album a few times now, I am definitely getting the Whitesnake vibe somebody mentioned earlier.  It's sort of a Whitesnake meets Dio (and maybe a sprinkling of late '80s Ozzy) with modern, sinister heavy riffing and some nice background keys to give subtle atmosphere.  That's how I would describe the album as a whole.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:28:09 PM by bosk1 »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I never understood the status of Among The Living...........STD kills it IMO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I never understood the status of Among The Living...........STD kills it IMO.

STD is my favorite release from Anthrax for sure.  Worship Music would rank highly too, that was a fantastic release and I'm looking forward to what they put out this year.

TAC, get Level 10.......you will like it!  Whitesnake meets Dio is a good description.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Having listened to the album a few times now, I am definitely getting the Whitesnake vibe somebody mentioned earlier.  It's sort of a Whitesnake meets Dio (and maybe a sprinkling of late '80s Ozzy) with modern, sinister heavy riffing and some nice background keys to give subtle atmosphere.  That's how I would describe the album as a whole.

Yeah, I mentioned the Whitensnake thing when Cry No More was released.  I still feel it has that vibe but a mix with Dio is very appropriate.  Great album too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I like the look of this.........apparently on DVD in April.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlzWl795u0E

One on thrash too........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL9Yj4-L76M
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That first trailer was put up in 2013!   :lol

They look cool though, although I was never really big into buying documentries on DVD.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Bought Level 10 last night . Halfway through and it sounds awesome!

Love the classic keyboard sound.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:53:28 AM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That first trailer was put up in 2013!   :lol

They look cool though, although I was never really big into buying documentries on DVD.

Pretty common for this sort of doco to take years to get up - hopefully it'll end up on Youtube  ;D

The guys behind it also have a semi-regular radio show - some vids here that could be of interest (and going forward)

https://tradiov.com/la/videoscategory/insidemetal/

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just completed my first listen to the new Scorps album and it's pretty disappointing overall.   It's not the easiest album to summarise as it's got 17 tracks  which , from what I understand ,are a combo of old leftovers redone and some new stuff written over the last few years.

It's certainly nothing like my favourite modern Scorps album , which is Humanity Hour 1.   The "rockers" (which is being generous to many of the harder tracks) are , in most cases, best described as "good time rock n roll" with very little edge/bite and at worst (Rock My Car) they're pretty lame with embarrassingly bad lyrics.  I don't normally take much notice of lyrics unless they're particularly good or bad and in this case it ain't the former.

Despite that we do have a couple of pretty decent rockers in there , but the real saviour in terms of my rating is the ballads which are in the ballpark of the usual standard.  Without them the rating would be much lower.   Also note (if checking out samples) that the second half is much stronger than the first IMHO.

I rate it 73%.    I'd be inclined to listen to as much as I can with samples etc...... and purchase a few favourite tracks in digital format.  As an album there's way too much filler.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:00:26 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I will just stick with classic Scorpions

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I will just stick with classic Scorpions

Yeah. I agree with Brent though, Humanity Hour-1 is pretty good. I spin it occasionally and always enjoy it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I'm kinda surprised that I didn't catch any more flack over the fact that I just listened to four of the most classic albums in the history of hard rock/metal for the first time in the last week.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I'm kinda surprised that I didn't catch any more flack over the fact that I just listened to four of the most classic albums in the history of hard rock/metal for the first time in the last week.  :lol

I'm actually a little disappointed. I don't even know who you are any more.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Well, as noted, I gravitated to a select few artists in the beginning and stuck to that.  Then I opened up to more stuff and stuck to that.  I've always been very particular like that.  I find what I like and usually don't deviate much from it.  It's only in the last few years that I've decided I need to really stop doing that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Yeah, I mentioned the Whitensnake thing when Cry No More was released.  I still feel it has that vibe but a mix with Dio is very appropriate.  Great album too.

Yeah, I remember you saying that.  I didn't really hear it at first.  But listening to the whole album, I totally do.  I think Whitesnake/Dio is a good description, but as I said, also a smattering of Jake/early Zakk-era Ozzy in terms of some of the guitar riffing.

I just completed my first listen to the new Scorps album and it's pretty disappointing overall.   It's not the easiest album to summarise as it's got 17 tracks  which , from what I understand ,are a combo of old leftovers redone and some new stuff written over the last few years.

It's certainly nothing like my favourite modern Scorps album , which is Humanity Hour 1.   

I used to be WAY into them in the '80s, but my enthusiasm has cooled off substantially.  But funny you should mention Humanity Hour 1.  I was just listening to it again recently and am still blown away by how good it is.  I pared my Scorps collection way down, and I consider it to be perfect with only the following:  Blackout, Love At First Sting, World Wide Live, Face the Heat, Live Bites, and Humanity Hour 1.  Those have pretty much all the songs I really like from them, with the two live disks filling in some of the older classics (I also have one of the dozen or so "hits" collections for that as well).  I just find that I don't need anything else to get my Scorpions fix.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Raised my eyebrows but why go there....

Humanity is awesome. The only decent thing they've done in 25 years.

Bosk, give Lovedrive a try.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Oh, I have.  It's not a bad album by any stretch.  But the live albums (and the hits package I have) give me every single song except Always Somewhere, which I can do without.  And, honestly, I like the live versions better than the studio versions.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not a big Scorpions fan, but Humanity is bloody awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, I have.  It's not a bad album by any stretch.  But the live albums (and the hits package I have) give me every single song except Always Somewhere, which I can do without.  And, honestly, I like the live versions better than the studio versions.
Yeah that makes sense. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Hard to believe that entire album is only 37 minutes long.  And it is really solid from start to finish.  Even Always Somewhere isn't bad (although its existence is completely unnecessary, since we have Fade To Black).

And going back to Humanity for a second, I really have to give Desmond Child props for his songwriting skills.  He may not have been able to save You Not Me, but in looking at his track record, including basically all of Humanity, the guy has written MORE than his fair share of outstanding songs.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:24:55 PM by bosk1 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This discussion needs this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoI7deS76Ck

Some really nice playing in that song...........the fashion and stage moves.............not so much  ;D

I've been listening to a lot of new releases the last few weeks and also quite a bit of roulette related stuff.   Next week I intend to get started on the (long) process of rating and getting together all the best albums of 1987.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Gunners and Whitesnake are early predictions to top your 87 list