Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 900951 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
At first I thought I was listening to Egypt (The Chains Are On). The verse reminds me of something off Waysted's Save Your Prayers. I don't care for the chorus. Cool solo section and great vocals.
I rate it an 83%. ;D

It definitely gets me interested in checking something else out. Where are they from?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVS71KUnH1M

Geez, the music sounds exactly the same as any track from Bleed and Scream.  This could be placed anywhere in that album and fit just like the rest.

It definitely gets me interested in checking something else out. Where are they from?

Sweden?  I think.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVS71KUnH1M

Geez, the music sounds exactly the same as any track from Bleed and Scream.  This could be placed anywhere in that album and fit just like the rest.

Sweden?  I think.

Yep and yep  ;D

I think this track off B&S might be more up TAC's alley..........a bit less wishy washy chorus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IwUPS86264

But yeah..........same old chugga chugga riffs , but there is a bit more variety on the latest than there was on B&S.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think this track off B&S might be more up TAC's alley..........a bit less wishy washy chorus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IwUPS86264
Kiss' King Of The Mountain anyone?

I like this. Real Old School.

Thanks guys!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That was pretty good.

I would rate it a 78.658%

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Chris Holmes' latest vid............I rate this 99%.........not  :lol    They should get him to do some stuff for Frontiers - at least it'd be sorta interesting  :angel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTIWzgExzAA
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:19:03 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Saw that the other day.  What the hell is he thinking, or smoking?  :lol

Offline ozzy554

Instrumentally I like it, The guitar has that old school WASP sound that I love. Then when he opens his mouth it's all downhill from there. He REALLY needs to find a singer.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Instrumentally I like it, The guitar has that old school WASP sound that I love. Then when he opens his mouth it's all downhill from there. He REALLY needs to find a singer.

Yeah, I thought right away it sounded like something from the first couple of albums.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
overall, not good

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Still happily spinning Level 10 constantly, it's good.  I'm just not sure how much lasting power it will have over time.  Fuck I love Grapow's playing though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Chris Holmes WTF? :facepalm:

Still happily spinning Level 10 constantly, it's good.  I'm just not sure how much lasting power it will have over time. 
I'm not sure I'm going to buy this.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Chris Holmes WTF? :facepalm:

Still happily spinning Level 10 constantly, it's good.  I'm just not sure how much lasting power it will have over time. 

Just make sure you have spending money in March for the deluxe edition of Defenders of the Faith. That is a must buy if I've ever seen one!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thanks for reminding me. Time to make an actual list of The List. Im getting some CD money on Valentines and then again for a Easter. 

Love the fact that they are releasing a full live show. Isolated live bonus tracks do nothing for me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm still spinning it and enjoying it.  It's worth a purchase.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would give Level 10 an 8.5/10. Excellent disc, recommended!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I gave it 75%..........was certainly better than I expected from the samples.  Like most releases these days .................cut 4 tracks and that rating would jump into the 80's.    Based on song ratings I had 1 killer , 7 good tracks and 4 fillers.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I just noticed today how similar the riffs in Wilderness I think it is are to Headless Cross.  Pretty much the same.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Had a listen to the EPK and it sounds like an average Impellitteri  album...........maybe one or two really good tracks and the rest just dialled in.  He does have a couple of albums that are much more consistent but I doubt this will be added to that group.

I can't remember the last album by an 80's shredder that really grabbed me - maybe one of Macalpine's , but really the best of this stuff was done a long time ago and it's a pleasant surprise when anything even comes close to hitting the same heights as the heyday.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm a big Rob Rock fan, but could never get into Impellitteri.

That is one awesome album cover!! Might give this one a try

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't remember the last album by an 80's shredder that really grabbed me - maybe one of Macalpine's , but really the best of this stuff was done a long time ago and it's a pleasant surprise when anything even comes close to hitting the same heights as the heyday.

Macalpine has been by far the most consistent over the years IMO.  The last Vinnie Moore wasn't bad though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Upcoming film on Scorpions if anyone's interested.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCG4wYXd1ao

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Rolf Rische is German for Eddie Trunk!  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Rolf Rische is German for Eddie Trunk!  :lol

I thought it was dummkopf  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
How many of you guys checked out Serious Black and what did you think?  I'm listening to my copy for the first time and can't really form an opinion yet.  Not sure how strong I think it is yet.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I rated it low 80's at first listen............a bit one dimensional but the key to the high rating is no total duds and a couple of really good songs.  I'd need to give it another listen to comment in detail.  Certainly not my favourite album featuring Breed or Grapow but a very solid debut and they themselves have said it was a bit rushed and they view it as a taster for a much better second effort.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I think it was alright, loved some songs, but didn't care for a few others. It didn't have a lot of lasting power on me, I think I grew a bit tired of it after five spins or so.

I also think some songs had the great potential, but ended up being a bit weak. For example, when I heard High and Low the first time, I was excited at the beginning with that powerful "high and loooooooow" part, but when the actual chorus kicked in, I was disappointed. I need to spin the album again to find more examples though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hmm.. You guys are not helping me with this. I was looking forward to this. Now I don't know what to do.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I rated it low 80's at first listen............a bit one dimensional but the key to the high rating is no total duds and a couple of really good songs.  I'd need to give it another listen to comment in detail.  Certainly not my favourite album featuring Breed or Grapow but a very solid debut and they themselves have said it was a bit rushed and they view it as a taster for a much better second effort.

Yeah, it's pretty consistent and every song has something to offer, but I can understand the comment about it being a bit rushed.  If this is rushed though, I look forward to the next one.  I'm still undecided but it seems to be a grower and my second listen now is a lot better than the first.

The only negative I have is that Grapow's lead tone doesn't sound anywhere near as strong as usual.  Even compared to Level 10, the quality of the tone and production is worlds apart.

I think it was alright, loved some songs, but didn't care for a few others. It didn't have a lot of lasting power on me, I think I grew a bit tired of it after five spins or so.

I also think some songs had the great potential, but ended up being a bit weak. For example, when I heard High and Low the first time, I was excited at the beginning with that powerful "high and loooooooow" part, but when the actual chorus kicked in, I was disappointed. I need to spin the album again to find more examples though.

I can see it not having lasting power, but I'll see how it goes.  High and Low is one I didn't really care for when it came out, but now within the album it's an early favourite.  The part you are talking about wouldn't help as it's a total rip off of Edguy's Ministry of Saints.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmm.. You guys are not helping me with this. I was looking forward to this. Now I don't know what to do.

I think you should enjoy it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's gonna be a killer setlist.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Believe it or not I'm sitting here with a Practice What You Preach shirt on  :biggrin:

www.theguitardojo.com.au