Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896527 times)

Offline Lowdz

I really enjoy UFOs material from the 70s and early 80s, but have paid little attention to their 90s and onward material

I love Vinnie Moore but haven't really enjoyed much of the output with him so far. And the vocals have sounded weird. This sounds better. Pretty much UFO by numbers there.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It surprises me how unknown UFO is considering how much material they have and how influential they were

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
They have always seem to be one of those bands that just cruise under the radar.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
After Dream Theater and Iron Maiden, UFO are my next favorite band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
After Dream Theater and Iron Maiden, ...I still have to think REALLY hard to even remember a single UFO song title.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
After Dream Theater and Iron Maiden, ...I still have to think REALLY hard to even remember a single UFO song title.

That's hitting Rock Bottom if you don't know any UFO

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Hate to say it, but the only reason I even get that joke is that Tesla covered that song.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tesla actually did an awesome job with that. UFO's influence on Tesla is obvious. Bosk, I wouldn't even know where to start with UFO for you, but their live album Strangers In The Night is an absolute must have.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That's hitting Rock Bottom if you don't know any UFO

Not bad at all.

Offline Lowdz

Tesla actually did an awesome job with that. UFO's influence on Tesla is obvious. Bosk, I wouldn't even know where to start with UFO for you, but their live album Strangers In The Night is an absolute must have.

I agree with TAC. Wow  :biggrin:

Yes, it's a difficult one. After SITN I would suggest Force It or Obsession for the Schenker era and maybe The Wild, The Willing And The Innocent for CHapman. Or just get an in depth best of.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I agree with TAC. Wow  :biggrin:

Yes, it's a difficult one. After SITN I would suggest Force It or Obsession for the Schenker era and maybe The Wild, The Willing And The Innocent for CHapman. Or just get an in depth best of.

WWI is definitely the definitive Chapman era album, but I prefer No Heavy Petting. One of the best performances by a guitarist that these ears have heard.

New UFO tune in here;

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ufo-new-song-run-boy-run-avaialble-for-streaming/

Pretty solid actually.
Heard that yesterday. Nope. Not bad. Some tasty licks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That is a solid tune!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
And speaking of UFO, 1993's reunion album Walk On Water is one of their best.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It's taken me a while to finish it , but I just got though the new SOTO disc.   It's about where I expected , which is not that impressive.   I hate to say it as I worship the guy but these sort of albums highlight to me what a huge part of Talisman Marcel Jacob was. 

There's certainly some good tracks on it - maybe half the songs I'd be happy to have on rotation but none of them really grabbed me in a big way.   I'd certainly check it out if I was a Soto fan but  in my case I was pretty bored with it by the end.

Rating : 70%
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:52:40 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm getting it, but I ain't expecting much from it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, does it have a more modern sound?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

It does yeah.........although it's not all "modern metal".  I'd say it's just melodic metal with a modern edge .

I was really down on it after the first two tracks which were all Adrenaline Mob...........I really don't like it when Jeff does the whole "you've gone too far , I'll kick your ass" type lyric as it just doesn't suit him , but as it went on the quality of the writing improved.  I thought we were on target for a 60% at the start.

At the end of the day it's a good quality record that , aside from one or two songs, I don't feel like playing again.   I feel like that about a lot of current day releases - the quality is there but nothing memorable.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

It does yeah.........although it's not all "modern metal".  I'd say it's just melodic metal with a modern edge .

I was really down on it after the first two tracks which were all Adrenaline Mob...........I really don't like it when Jeff does the whole "you've gone too far , I'll kick your ass" type lyric as it just doesn't suit him , but as it went on the quality of the writing improved.  I thought we were on target for a 60% at the start.

At the end of the day it's a good quality record that , aside from one or two songs, I don't feel like playing again.   I feel like that about a lot of current day releases - the quality is there but nothing memorable.

I really agree with that.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Im really digging the new Level 10 disc. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Is that the Russ Allen thing?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah.

I'm only 3 tracks in but like what I am hearing so far.  Grapow is shredding it up so far.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah.

I'm only 3 tracks in but like what I am hearing so far.  Grapow is shredding it up so far.
:facepalm:
That's right..Grapow too. Will check out.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah Grapow sounds excellent!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I was afraid he was going to play second fiddle to Alex, but good to hear him shred it out.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I was afraid he was going to play second fiddle to Alex, but good to hear him shred it out.

Do you think this will be a one time gig? I think these guys really gel

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Do you think this will be a one time gig? I think these guys really gel

I think the band sounds quite good together too.  I think Grapow is what makes this that extra special.  Sounds like a lot of the rhythm playing is him too, his tones are incredible and give the album a real boost.

The funny thing is, for all the members involved in this, it's really nothing out of the box, but I think that's what makes this album really enjoyable.  Straight forward, simple, ass kicking songs with the band just doing some cool shit and not trying to come up with something that seems forced.  Really liking this too.

Offline Lowdz

Yeah a good effort/ A couple of songs don't do it - too Adrenaline Mob-like - but the rest are well worth it. Nice to hear Russ on some more melodic stuff. The duffers are the ones he resorts to bellowing on. Have only listened in the car so not sure of the titles yet. Needs more listens and it was enjoyable enough that it will get them,

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm going to get a chance to have a listen to the Jap version of the new Eclipse today.  I go in not expecting anything particularly inspiring and I imagine I won't be waiting long  to hear that first (typical) rapid fire riff that Martensson goes for so often.  Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

Edit ...had to wait around 5 seconds  ;D   Decent riff though  :D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Report your thoughts Brent.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Report your thoughts Brent.

OK..............good album.  I'll preface this by saying that I have never subscribed to the idea that Martensson is some sort of songwriting genius -  and for some reason I've preferred the material he has written outside of his main band.  I have trouble remembering much about the last album (Bleed and Scream) aside from the fact that I really liked 2 or 3 tracks and , as is often the case with Erik , the rest just blended into each other and left me uninspired.

The consensus among reviewers seems to be that this is "even better" than Bleed and Scream and I would agree with that - they said the same thing about the latest H.E.A.T. too ,with which I totally disagree.    How you get better than 100% I don't know but I'll leave that to others  ;D     

Like Bleed and Scream I really like a few tracks and the rest....not so much.   The difference here is that IMHO the weaker tracks are a lot stronger.    There's a few more slightly original ideas floating around too.  It's probably a bit closer to the Hitchcock album in quality , if that means anything.

So - if you're already an Eclipse fan - you know what you're going to get and I'd say it's an automatic purchase.   Those who are  a bit iffy ........I'd still give it a go.    It's exactly what you expect from Martensson.  The guitar sound and production is about the same on every song and about the same as all his other stuff   , there's huge riffs, huge production and a retro feel to a number of the songs.  It's just straight ahead melodic hard rock done well but without anywhere near the songwriting depth of albums like Albion , Address The Nation etc......

I rate it 82% which is a lot higher than I expected going in.  Having said that I'm not sure it's going to age well - it's a style of songwriting which catches your ear but for the most part doesn't demand multiple repeat listens......and that applies to most recent releases where I'm concerned.   For what it is though it's well done.

I think you'll like it Kade , with the qualifications given above.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:34:31 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Not familiar with Eclipse. How many albums do they have? What's the best?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not familiar with Eclipse. How many albums do they have? What's the best?

I think they might be up to five now ......I'd say this latest is their best but I'm not sure it's your cuppa tea TAC.

Here's one of the stronger tracks .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVS71KUnH1M
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:58:56 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds good Brent.  I have it on preorder, but good to read your words on it.  I'm sure I'll dig it for the most part, although I think I'll agree with you with the aging of the record.  Bleen and Scream was amazing at the start, but funny how badly it aged for me.

Yeah, I think this would be their 5th album.  Their first two were pretty shit.  Are You Ready to Rock was a good slab of rock too and that one aged better than Bleed and Scream IMO.  yeah, TAC, I don't think you'd dig 'em that much.