Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896555 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of Diary, I listened to it the other day for the first time in ages and forgot how fucking good it is.  Amazing metal album.  The title track is just ridiculous.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The Ultimate Sin was my first Ozzy album (and arguably my first metal album) and so I worked my way back to Diary.   I picked up (and still have) Diary and Blizzard on one of those "2 for the price of one" cassettes  - there's value for you  :tup

Awesome album with some of my favourite , lesser known Ozzy tracks on it.   I always loved S.A.T.O. for example.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would say that Diary is my favorite release from Ozzy.  Great metal album.

The re-release from a couple years back w/ the live RR album as a bonus is top notch.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The re-release from a couple years back w/ the live RR album as a bonus is top notch.

I think I should get this.  What's the quality of the live show like?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

excellent...right on par with Tribute.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Wow.

Tribute, now there's a live album I haven't pulled out for a while, gotta change that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Agreed. It's maybe not quite as polished, but it's very close in quality that you could easily confuse the two. It's not too different to what you get on Tribute in terms of setlist and performance, but it's another good live record of Randy Rhoads, so that makes it worth it.

And I also don't know how you could but The Ultimate Sin over many his other albums. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good album and I still listen to it plenty, but it can't compete with Blizzard, Diary, or No More Tears imo (and for me Ozzmosis which is hugely underrated).
I'd probably put it level with BATM, with BATM being less consistent but having much better songs, and TUS being more consistent, but not having the high points.

That said, I love pretty much all Ozzy albums, with his most recent being the only one I'd consider completely worthless.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I mentioned that Diary was my favorite Ozzy release overall, but I would likely pick the songs "The Ultimate Sin" and "Shot in the Dark" as my all time favorite Ozzy songs

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Shot in the Dark would be up there as one of my favoutites too, and probably Never and The Ultimate Sin, but the album overall isn't up to the top 3 imo. I don't know, there's just something about the album that always keeps it just under the radar, but it is a very good album, and probably underrated.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Agreed. It's maybe not quite as polished, but it's very close in quality that you could easily confuse the two. It's not too different to what you get on Tribute in terms of setlist and performance, but it's another good live record of Randy Rhoads, so that makes it worth it.

And I also don't know how you could but The Ultimate Sin over many his other albums. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good album and I still listen to it plenty, but it can't compete with Blizzard, Diary, or No More Tears imo (and for me Ozzmosis which is hugely underrated).
I'd probably put it level with BATM, with BATM being less consistent but having much better songs, and TUS being more consistent, but not having the high points.

That said, I love pretty much all Ozzy albums, with his most recent being the only one I'd consider completely worthless.

I can totally agree with this.  Great album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I did not know there was a rerelease with a live album. Mmm.. I may have to take a look at that. While there are tons of Ozzy/RR boots, they all seem to suck.

Does the rerelease still have Daisley and Kerslake?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I did not know there was a rerelease with a live album. Mmm.. I may have to take a look at that. While there are tons of Ozzy/RR boots, they all seem to suck.

Does the rerelease still have Daisley and Kerslake?

All good there. It's the original album, none of this re-recorded or remixed BS like the last one.

Offline ozzy554

I liked scream, but the production kept me from loving it. Its just WAY too overproduced, which is a shame because there are some good songs on there in my opinion with time being my favorite. I hope for his next album he gets a new producer.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
I liked scream, but the production kept me from loving it. Its just WAY too overproduced, which is a shame because there are some good songs on there in my opinion with time being my favorite. I hope for his next album he gets a new producer.

I agree... It gets way more hate than it deserves. As a whole album; Song-wise, (not production,music necessarily) I like it better than probably anything since Ozzmosis. I'm a mega Ozz fan but I wasn't a big fan of the stuff from after No More Tears. I love Zakk but he and Ozzy got way lazy and the majority just all sounded the same to me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've heard two songs from Scream and they both absolutely sucked. One was the title track and the other was kind of ballady.

Name me one or two songs that I should check out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The only song I heard from Scream was the title track and I thought it was terrible. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I purchased Scream mainly because of Gus G.  I listened to it once and have not played it since.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've heard two songs from Scream and they both absolutely sucked. One was the title track and the other was kind of ballady.

Name me one or two songs that I should check out.

The sad part is that they're by far the most tolerable on the album. Beyond that it's all slop garbage. It's by far Ozzy's worst album. Even Black Rain had a few great tracks on it to redeem it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Black Rain didn't do much for me at all either.

I did quite like Down to Earth though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think Down to Earth is quite underrated. It's a solid metal album, and Facing Hell has always been one of my favourites.

Black Rain I put marginally above Scream, because Not Going Away and The Almighty Dollar are pretty good songs, and at least the rest sounds like it's trying to be music.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't been impressed with Ozzy since Ozzmosis. That tv show didn't help things

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
As you guys know I'm a huge Ozzy fan and I've hardly even listened to the post-Ozzmosis stuff - in fact I'm sure I haven't heard all the albums right through.  Zakk started to get all BLS on Ozzy and the songs have just gone downhill fast without the great team he had on many of his best albums.

Gus G is an okay guitarist but can't write a decent song IMO - thought his solo album was crap too although it seems it has plenty of fans.  (wolfking included  ;) )  Just didn't grab me at all I'm afraid - even with the vocal talent on board..
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
As you guys know I'm a huge Ozzy fan and I've hardly even listened to the post-Ozzmosis stuff - in fact I'm sure I haven't heard all the albums right through.  Zakk started to get all BLS on Ozzy and the songs have just gone downhill fast without the great team he had on many of his best albums.

Gus G is an okay guitarist but can't write a decent song IMO - thought his solo album was crap too although it seems it has plenty of fans.  (wolfking included  ;) )  Just didn't grab me at all I'm afraid - even with the vocal talent on board..

I don't believe Gus G even has a writing credit on the latest Ozzy album. He's just a session guitarist basically. I prefer when the guitarist is the main songwriter and collaborator. It gives it a stronger sound, as they always had on the older albums.
Zakk Wylde doesn't have a writing credit on Down to Earth either, but that's before Ozzy or BLS sounded like slop anyway. That was his last great album imo, and I don't expect that will change with any new ones.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

You should check out The Premonition from Firewind Brent, or even Allegiance, really solid metal.

And yes, I still love his solo album and spin it regulary, really fresh IMO.

Agree with Blob with Down to Earth being underrated and the last good Ozzy album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

You should check out The Premonition from Firewind Brent, or even Allegiance, really solid metal.

Agree with Blob with Down to Earth being underrated and the last good Ozzy album.

Will do ..................checked my collection and I have Burning Earth and Days of Defiance by Firewind.  Some solid toons here and there but nothing brilliant and so didn't bother going much further .

I rated Gus G's solo album 63%    :angel: ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Will do ..................checked my collection and I have Burning Earth and Days of Defiance by Firewind.  Some solid toons here and there but nothing brilliant and so didn't bother going much further .

I rated Gus G's solo album 63%    :angel: ;D

Burning Earth is one of the earlier ones.  I didn't really get into the older stuff at all actually.  Days of Defiance was deemed a step down from the previous two, but I really liked it.  Premonition and Allegiance are crowned their two big albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Going back to 1986, although I put Master Of Puppets at the top of my list, I really didn't listen to it during that year. I did borrow the album from a friend because we were going to see them open for Ozzy, but I wasn't really into it. After loving Kill 'Em All when it came out, RTL and MOP came out and I basically ignored Metallica. For some reason, I did not follow that track of metal through 1984-1986, opting for a more Maiden and Dio kind of thing.

It wasn't until 1987 when I heard Keepers Pt.1 and Metallica's Garage Days Rerevisited, that the flood gates really opened for me on Metallica.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
YYEEAAHHH!!  That song sounds fucking solid.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
YYEEAAHHH!!  That song sounds fucking solid.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I really enjoy UFOs material from the 70s and early 80s, but have paid little attention to their 90s and onward material

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Blackwelder!!
https://bravewords.com/news/blackwelder-featuring-primal-fear-dio-disciples-ex-angra-members-announce-debut-album-title-release-date-pre-mix-track-stream-posted

LOL this is actually pretty good but OMG.. you guys were just discussing the Master of Puppets album.. does no one else hear that?  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Apparently I was the only one discussing it. :lol