Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896977 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yes, the title track to Electric Circus is amazing. What a great way to open the album.

I guess WASP was fun enough while I was in high school. But when I went to college their shtick didn't really appeal to me anymore. It's ironic that at the time I dropped WASP because of it, was the same time that Blackie seemed to have gotten serious.
The next major haul I make, I really need to make sure I get both The Headless Children and The Crimson Idol. I have heard really great things about The Crimson idol, but I haven't heard a lick from it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Eeeeee-lec-tricity to burn  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
:metal :metal

Just the whole musical beginning to it gave me goosebumps. Unfortunately I never saw them. I have no recollection of them playing here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
THC is probably the next best WASP album after Crimson Idol.  It really is a killer album from start to finish, and the bonus tracks are just as good.  Solid metal.

Electric Circus is a funny one.  I think the songs are pretty strong, but doesn't really have the lasting impact like Headless Children.  I'm Alive and Restless Gypsy are two of my fav WASP tracks though.

Am I the only one in thinking that The Last Command is the weakest pre-90's WASP album?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Level 10 doing a pretty decent Whitesnake impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02NNqNocpY0

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
New Level 10 doing a pretty decent Whitesnake impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02NNqNocpY0

1987, at least. I'm digging his vocals here, music is ok. This might be one to check out, depending on how much diversity there is on the rest of the album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

THC is probably the next best WASP album after Crimson Idol.  It really is a killer album from start to finish, and the bonus tracks are just as good.  Solid metal.

Electric Circus is a funny one.  I think the songs are pretty strong, but doesn't really have the lasting impact like Headless Children.  I'm Alive and Restless Gypsy are two of my fav WASP tracks though.

Am I the only one in thinking that The Last Command is the weakest pre-90's WASP album?

It would be between TEC and TLC for me. Best bits of both would be a great album though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

It would be between TEC and TLC for me. Best bits of both would be a great album though.

Ditto
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I don't hear Whitesnake in that, but it sounds good.  The singer reminds me a LOT of Russell Allen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

Just the whole musical beginning to it gave me goosebumps. Unfortunately I never saw them. I have no recollection of them playing here.
Really? They opened up the World Slavery tour down here, as well as some KISS album and they toured with Slayer on Reign in Blood.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Really? They opened up the World Slavery tour down here, as well as some KISS album and they toured with Slayer on Reign in Blood.

Twisted Sister opened for Maiden in Worcester in Jan 85 (I didn't go), and Accept opened in Providence in June. Saw that!

For Kiss the openers were:
Lick It Up-Accept
Animlize-Queensryche  (I might have those two mixed up)
Asylum-Black n Blue
Crazy Nights-Ted Nugent

I honestly don't remember who played with Slayer on the RiB tour. It was a club show and I didn't go.

I want to say that WASP played the Vet's Coliseum in Providence for the Electric Circus, but I do not have a firm recollection of it.
WASP also may have played some club shows for the first two albums, of course I was too young to go, but again, I don't remember. Actually, I kind of remember them playing The Living Room for their first album, now that I think of it, but I was only 15! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I don't hear Whitesnake in that, but it sounds good.  The singer reminds me a LOT of Russell Allen.

It is Russell Allen.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:58:26 AM by wolfking »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCPAa21O6tc&feature=youtu.be

man, this new TMac material is sounding good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Listening to my last 1986 album as I type..................................*collapses and ears fall off

Should have the summary up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 05:01:53 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
1986.............what a year!   Once again I seriously underestimated the number of albums I would need to get my head around.   I rated at least 100 albums properly and probably checked out and discarded another 50-60.

I consider myself fortunate that 1986 (age 12) was the year that my music collection first grew wings.   Up to then I had listened exclusively to KISS (mostly) and Van Halen , along with some bits and pieces of my father's collection (Dire Straits, Doobies etc...)   By the end of 1986 my collection included stuff from Ozzy, Malmsteen, Dokken, Jovi, Europe, Def leppard and so on.

I mentioned in my Top 50 that there was a particular VHS tape that I literally played to death and on it we had the group of four songs from Van Halen's debut recorded "live" at The Whiskey with DLR in his red silk get up. After that on the tape was an Ozzy video that really took my love for the guitar to the next level.   Jake  :heart   Dat solo got played over and over and over in 1986............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f80hOOcUh54#t=161

Anyway..........the Top 10.

I'm pretty certain that this is the only year so far where every album in my Top 10 has a 90%+ rating......in fact a few 90% ratings missed the cut , which makes them very unlucky losers.   As far as the rankings go , you could pretty much rearrange the top eight any way you like and I'd find it hard to argue. I have ranked using a combination of my % rating (there are many ties) along with the influence they had on me at the time.  One little anomaly is that I ranked The Final Countdown much higher than Slippery When Wet in my Top 50 and have reversed them here.     At the time I did my top 50 I felt that The Final Countdown was the more influential album (just) and it was also combined in that listing with Norum's Face The Truth ,which adds a lot of weight.   In the end I decided that after my recent listening that SWW has aged a lot better than TFC and thus received a higher % score.   We're really splitting hairs here though with the rankings.

I'm sure my number one will get plenty of  :facepalm: .........and maybe a couple of  :metal  ;D

TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 1986

1.Ozzy Osbourne   : The Ultimate Sin (TIE)
1. Van Halen :5150 (TIE)
3. Bon Jovi   :Slippery When Wet
4. Europe:The Final Countdown
5. Queensryche:   Rage for Order
6 Metallica :Master of Puppets
7 Tesla: Mechanical Resonance
8. David Lee Roth:Eat Em and Smile
9. Waysted   :Save Your Prayers
10. Cinderella: Night Songs

Missed by a bee's dick :

Yngwie Malmsteen: Trilogy
Keel: The Final Frontier
Great White: Shot In The Dark
Ratt: Dancing Undercover

Made the squad but not the team

TT Quick :Metal of Honor
Triumph :Sport of Kings
Helloise :Polarity
Black n Blue :Nasty Nasty
Dio :   Intermission (Expanded boot)
Black Sabbath :Seventh Star
Fate : A Matter of Attitude
Stryper :To Hell With The Devil
Fifth Angel :Fifth Angel
Hawk: Hawk
Rough Cutt    :…..Wants You
Zebra: 3.V
Warlock :True As Steel
Killer Dwarfs :Stand tall
Kuni   :Masque
King Kobra :Thrill of a Lifetime
Judas Priest :Turbo
Sword :Metalized
Alice Cooper :Constrictor
Vinnie Vincent Invasion :s/t
Iron Maiden :Somewhere In Time
Tarot   : Spell of Iron
Giuffria :Silk and Steel
Quiet Riot :III
M.A.R.S:   Project Driver
Q5: When The Mirror Cracks
Vinnie Moore :Mind's Eye
Brighton Rock :   Young Wild and Free
Metal Church: The Dark
Racer X :Street Lethal
Gary Moore: We Want Moore
Rhett Forrester :   Gone With The Wind
Jack Starr's Burning Starr :No Turning Back
Tyran Pace :Watching You
Tysondog :   Crimes of Insanity
Obsession   : Scarred For Life

As before I used an 80% cut off for the HMs.  Many of the more obvious omissions (Megadeth, Accept etc...) were high 70 scores and so just missed the HM cutoff.

Events of note during 1986 ..................first album by Van Hagar and sadly the deaths of Phil Lynott and Cliff Burton.  Metal Hammer makes its debut on newsstands.

Fire away...........as before I will take a break for a week or two before looking into 1987 which I imagine will be a similar sized operation.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:46:04 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, this is first post since you joined DTF that is officially...wrong.  :police:

I don't even know where to begin.. Will post later once I disconnect from my defribulator.  ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 ;D  I warned you that they'd get more "wrong" once hair metal hit the scene ...........the top 4 I'm sure ain't your cuppa tea.    I didn't think I'd upset you that much though  :omg:  :P

Enjoy your electrical surge :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
5150, Slippery When Wet, and MoP are all correct choices for top spots. The Ultimate Sin is a solid album, but it really doesn't have the essential tracks to compete with those, although it would still definitely make my top 10.

Still a very cool top 10 list. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK..................I admit it.

sorry..........doesn't compute  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :rollin

...........the top 4 I'm sure ain't your cuppa tea.   
Not at all. :lol

But at least I respect Slippery. That album basically shaped the rest of the decade, and there would really be no popular/commercially successful  hair metal scene without it. I'm fine with that pick. I had the other three. I thought Europe was just OK. Didn't do much for me, but for me, The Ultimate Sin and 5150 just did not work. I will say that 5150 has actually aged fairly well, but I'd put the DLR a mile above it.
Although VH ultimately won the war, DLR won that first battle. His tour was more like a Van Halen show that um..Van Halen.

I actually really liked the Cinderella. Saw them open for Bon Jovi on this tour. It was a solid classic Aerosmith style album. Also saw DLR and Tesla paired together in Jan 87.

Tesla was easily new band of the year. They put out a monster debut.

Glad to see Waysted make your list. Was not a fan of them going "American" but Danny Vaughan won me over with a fantastic performance.

Here's my list:
Metallica-Master Of Puppets
Tesla-Mechanical Resonance
Accept-Russian Roulette
Iron Maiden-Somehwre In Time
Waysted-Save Your Prayers
Alice Cooper-Constrictor
Queensryche-Rage For Order
Motorhead-Orgasmatron
Megadeth-Peace Sells
WASP-Inside The Electric Circus

Honorable Mentions:
David Lee Roth-Eat 'Em And Smile
Flotsam And Jetsam-Doomsday For The Deceiver
Slayer-Reign In Blood
Fifth Angel-s/t
Fates Warning-Awaken The Guardian
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:47:18 AM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So aside from the top 4 we're not too far apart.

All of the albums bar Motorhead and Slayer got a listen from me ........those two bands just do zero for me aside from some fantastic song titles (Killed By Death being hall of fame material).

Of those that didn't make my list ........well you know how much I love WASP but that album is pretty patchy IMO , aside from the awesome title track (as I think we discussed the other day).

There was only two tracks on the Flotsam and Jetsam that I liked and I was surprised how much I didn't like Awaken The Guardian.  Just did zero for me.

Iron Maiden (not a band I've ever been a huge fan of) did make my HMs............Megadeth and Accept I liked but just not quite enough.   Constrictor made my HM , as did Fifth Angel.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:04:17 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
STRONG year.  I really had a tough time ranking many of the top 8.  But the last two are, IMO, much weaker, and included only to fill out the top 10.

1.  Rage for Order (Queensryche):  I wasn't a Queensryche fan at the time, but once I got into them, I got into them big time, and I still hold this album in VERY high esteem.
2.  To Hell With the Devil (Stryper):  I just about wore this tape out.  To me, Stryper typified the '80s pattern of having some strong songs and some filler on pretty much every album.  But the strong songs on this one are among their best ever, and, really, there are only a couple of songs I would consider filler on this one.  It is not only their most consistent album with fewer valleys, but has higher peaks as well.
3.  Somewhere In Time (Maiden):  Given how late I got into Maiden (last year), it almost seems wrong to rank one of their albums so high.  But the thing is, I did like the "hits" I heard back then, and I now consider it such a strong album that I can't NOT rank it so high.
4.  Master of Puppets (Metallica):  This was my first real exposure to Metallica.  I couldn't say I was a fan at the time, but a friend of mine had the album, and it constantly intrigued me.  Once I did become what I would consider a "fan" of their music, this one rose to the top.
5.  5150 (Van Halen):  Van Halen's best album.  Yeah, I said it.
6.  Slippery When Wet (Bon Jovi):  I was a big Bon Jovi fan at the time (had been since the debut, actually), and this was obviously a strong album.  Wanted is still an all-time favorite song.  And Ritchie's solos throughout the album...Man!
7.  Night Songs (Cinderella):  Their first two albums were brilliant.  I hold Long, Cold Winter in higher esteem, as it really has the band starting to break a bit away from the mainstream and really showcase their own sound.  But I still think this one is pretty solid.
8.  Mechanical Resonance (Tesla):  Pretty strong debut.  I remember liking the Modern Day Cowboy video on MTV, but it wasn't until I was blown away seeing them open for Def Leppard that I really took notice.
9.  Dancing Undercover (Ratt):  This is where things start to trail off for me.  I liked this album well enough at the time.  And it definitely has some good hooks.  Just not strong enough that it feels right in a "top __" list.  But it is what it is.
10.  Look What the Cat Dragged In (Poison):  Um...can we just go with a top 9?

Honorable mentions that do not fit the genre:
-Depeche Mode:  Black Celebration
-Huey Lewis:  Fore!
-Siouxsie & the Banshees:  Tinderbox

And this may be the only time I feel the need to list this category, but:
-Biggest disappointment:  Journey: Raised on Radio
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:57:40 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

All of the albums bar Motorhead and Slayer got a listen from me ........those two bands just do zero for me aside from some fantastic song titles (Killed By Death being hall of fame material).

Orgasmatron was a fresh start for Motorhead. It's my favorite album by them, and really the only Motorhead album that I continuie to listen to. The title track is  :metal :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That Iced Earth was in 86?

Good list overall, missing WASP, Crimson Glory, and Barren Cross that would make my list.

Great to see Sword and Fifth Angel.  Two unknown gems!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Good list overall, missing WASP, Crimson Glory, and Barren Cross that would make my list.

Great to see Sword and Fifth Angel.  Two unknown gems!!

The Iced Earth somehow came across in the cut and paste ,that was 1991.

WASP and Crimson Glory were mid 70's rated............two of my fave bands though.  If memory serves correct I knocked down the rating on the Crimson Glory on my latest listen. The mighty Transcendence of course made my Top50.

The Barren Cross I did listen to but , as per usual with them , I really liked 2 or 3 tracks and thought the rest was mostly filler.   He always does a great Bruce impression  ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:52:38 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

The Iced Earth somehow came across in the cut and paste ,that was 1991.
Now that's what I call an album being ahead of its time! ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I love how The Ultimate Sin is at number 1.  Best Ozzy album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would like to see The Ultimate Sin get re-released like the other Ozzy albums. But I guess Ozzy likes to forget that it exists

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I would like to see The Ultimate Sin get re-released like the other Ozzy albums. But I guess Ozzy likes to forget that it exists

I seriously can't understand why.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
:facepalm:

I know we've talked about this many times. I just cannot believe that after Blizzard, Diary, and BATM, how anyone on their right mind could think so. With all due respect, bro.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I know we've talked about this many times. I just cannot believe that after Blizzard, Diary, and BATM, how anyone on their right mind could think so. With all due respect, bro.

I can understand what you are saying.  Diary and Blizard would both be a close second and third, but TUS just does it for me that little bit more.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I can understand what you are saying.  Diary and Blizard would both be a close second and third, but TUS just does it for me that little bit more.

Yeah it's all good. Crazy! ;D but all good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I am with TAC.

Then again, he may be unfairly biased in favor of Blizzard because Mr. Crowley.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I am with TAC.

Then again, he may be unfairly biased in favor of Blizzard because Mr. Crowley.
:metal :metal :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Well since both albums were recorded at the same time..........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC