Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896936 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm pretty much done with 1986 guys - just a few days making sure no obscure gems have slipped through the cracks and we'll be done.

EDIT:make that the end of the week...............just found another 30 albums I missed :)  :-\  Prolific period this was.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:13:26 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If I bought that off the shelf /ordered sight unseen and discovered that...........well I'd unleash the fucking fury  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Who splits up albums across CD's like that? What a pain that would be to listen to just one album, especially in the digital age.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
That's more than likely the stupidest album box set I've ever seen.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The 2 bonus tracks on Marching Out are cool I guess

Offline Lowdz

Who splits up albums across CD's like that? What a pain that would be to listen to just one album, especially in the digital age.

I've got the Chrysallis UFO and Schenker album sets like this and it's a pain in the arse.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The 2 bonus tracks on Marching Out are cool I guess

It's a bit weird that these are the only 2 extra tracks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Kade/Brent, is this anywhere near you guys?
https://bravewords.com/news/ronnie-james-dio-the-legend-of-dio-a-metal-musical-to-see-world-premier-in-australia-this-march

About a half hour's drive from my place - seen a number of gigs at that venue..........JSS , Planet X , Mike Tramp and numerous others I can't remember.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Cool, will you be submitting a report on this? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll look into it -  I don't really know any other Dio fans so I'd be going by myself if I did and I won't do that unless I know it's gunna be good. I'll look into who is putting it on - never heard of 'em.

If I go , I'll submit a report  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just ordered my tickets!!!!!!

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
What a bill!!    :metal

Calvin6s

Immortal Randy Rhoads

Is it wrong that I find this to be a total train wreck?

The worst (and best) is 1/2 of Rage Against the Machine playing Crazy Train.  They should have had the full RATM band.  They tried a happy medium between honoring the original and trying to add their own style and it was the worst of both worlds.  They should have gone full Rage.  Probably would have been the best song on the album.

Ripper Owens singing Ozzy .... BLECH
 :metal
 :police:
 :blush

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
There's nothing about this that is remotely interesting for me. And I love Randy Rhoads.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was interested in this until I read that Ripper Owens was singing most of the tracks. This EPK fully confirms that. Dude can't sing well, and he's doing his best Ozzy impersonation here, and it sounds like a send-up.

There are a lot of good musicians on this, but I have no reason to want this. The studio versions blow all of these recordings away, and it offers nothing new.

Calvin6s

The studio versions blow all of these recordings away
Damn right.  Playing a Rhoads era Ozzy song is great fun, but recording it for a professional release?  What's the point unless you are going to do something dramatically different with it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
The studio versions blow all of these recordings away
Damn right.  Playing a Rhoads era Ozzy song is great fun, but recording it for a professional release?  What's the point unless you are going to do something dramatically different with it.

For a one off cover, I'm usually more for sticking to the originals, but for a whole album, you really have to do something different with it.
I think the problem is that these aren't played by bands, they're done by a bunch of good musicians in more of a session musician situation, so I don't think there's as much opportunity to put their mark on it as a whole.

I like something more like the Black Sabbath Nativity in Black albums, where the bands are playing the songs in their own signature style, and they manage to add something new without needing to try too hard to be different. You don't get a lot of that when you just get a bunch of random musicians to record some tracks to put together.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well I've had my first listen to the Jorn Lande Dracula album and it's very good.  I normally struggle with albums where I'm being told a story throughout as IMHO the songs rarely stack up in their own right.  I hate it when I feel the song has been compromised to shoe horn in certain lyrics to fit with the story -  I'm in the minority but that's why I've never enjoyed SFAM much.  "You need to appreciate it as a whole" works for some people but not for me I'm afraid.

Anyway...........this album has a bit of that but the songs themselves stand on their own two feet very well and so I didn't find the "metal opera" style an issue.   It's not in the league of a Mindrime or Crimson Idol in terms of having numerous songs that I'll return to on a regular basis but it is consistently good and has a couple of real rippers.

I rate it 90% on first listen and would recommend it to all fans of Jorn Lande

In fact on the strength of this album I'm happy to stop calling him Yawn Lande for a while .........at least until his next plodding solo album   ;D .
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:23:57 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
90%!!  Holy shit!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I wouldn't rate it that highly, but I thought it was pretty good aswell.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I place no value on a rating given in the same post as one deriding SFAM. Sorry. :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBE1gyRh4gk

Samples of the new JSS album.

I slagged this on the first samples, but I actually don't mind some of these samples.  It's pretty one dimensional for JSS, but sounds solid enough.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That Randy tribute doesn't do much for me either.  I love Ripper but these songs aren't really made for him.  Sucks that it seems that Bob Kulick only is doing rhythm guitar too.  His lead work with WASP was amazing.

If anyone wants to hear some good Ozzy covers done a bit differently, check out Living Loud.  Jimmy Barnes, Steve Morse, Bob Daisley, Lee Kerslake and Don Airey;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4QkVypcr0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbptn9x5sUs

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Bob Kulick only is doing rhythm guitar too.  His lead work with WASP was amazing.

You sure about that?  ;D  Pretty much all the best solos on The Crimson Idol were done (uncredited) by Doug Aldrich.  Have a listen and the style is unmistakable.

I remember thinking "Shit ,Bob Kulick got good in a hurry" back in the day myself , but it didn't take long for the lightbulb to switch on.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Bob Kulick only is doing rhythm guitar too.  His lead work with WASP was amazing.

You sure about that?  ;D  Pretty much all the best solos on The Crimson Idol were done (uncredited) by Doug Aldrich.  Have a listen and the style is unmistakable.

I remember thinking "Shit ,Bob Kulick got good in a hurry" back in the day myself , but it didn't take long for the lightbulb to switch on.

What the fuck?

You for real bro?  I have never heard this.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just have a listen -now that your mind is open to the possibility of it being Doug it'll be obvious.  He did most of the leads on House of Lords' Sahara too without much credit.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know, I'm not really familiar with Doug's playing around that time, but I can't hear it to be honest, but I will have another listen.  Also, the guitar playing between Crimson Idol and Still Not Black Enough is easy to tell it's a similar style.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough - I've been a fan of Doug since Jesus was a pup and I can guarantee you it's him on a few tracks.  It's hard to find confirmation but I did track down an interview where Doug confirmed it.

The second half of Arena of Pleasure for instance - I can guarantee Bob Kulick cannot play like this and it's so obviously Doug - to me , anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk5cZMMXQmc#t=129

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough - I've been a fan of Doug since Jesus was a pup and I can guarantee you it's him on a number of tracks

The second half of Arena of Pleasure for instance - I can guarantee Bob Kulick cannot play like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk5cZMMXQmc#t=129

I just flicked through a few tracks, and yeah, the middle solo of Arena of Pleasure I can definitely hear it.

EDIT: yeah, that's the one.

All I could find was this;

https://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2014/01/26/kiss-kontributor-and-studioguitar-guru-bob-kulick-i-remember-thinking-is-there-anybody-who-could-really-think-thats-ace-playing-really/

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Been a while since I listened to it -perhaps that's the only solo that impressed me.   ;D Will have a listen later and see if I detect Doug anywhere else. But that solo in Arena of Pleasure is the one that sticks in my mind from that album and I did originally think it was Bob Kulick (as you would , as it says it's Kulick on the notes)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Pretty much all the best solos on The Crimson Idol were done (uncredited) by Doug Aldrich. 
That's very interesting. Shit, I didn't even know Bob Kulick played for WASP. Didn't follow them after Electric Circus. I think I did buy The Headless Children, but I think I was pretty much finished with WASP at that point.

I place no value on a rating given in the same post as one deriding SFAM. Sorry. :biggrin:
:lol

Well I've had my first listen to the Jorn Lande Dracula album and it's very good. 
I do not consider myself a Jorn guy, but I liked they song they released last week. I might be interested in this.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The Headless Children is a ripper..............made my top 10.   Was a tough choice between that and the debut but there's a more serious/political focus to a lot of the lyrics and a bit more thought in the songwriting which perhaps helped it age a touch better.   I think The Headless Children and The Crimson Idol are far better albums than Electric Circus - I love the title track on that but the rest is just solid IMO.

www.theguitardojo.com.au