Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896736 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It was the first Priest cd I bought if I recall correctly.

I remember reading a review from someone, who said that upon buying the record as a new release, he started crying lol.  Seemed extreme, I think its a good disc.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I might have cried when I heard Van Halen 3  ;D   Great tour though.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online gazinwales

Never bought VH3, but saw them live in Sydney on that tour.
The concert was shown live on MTV and there is a great bootleg on YT.

I like Gary Charone, his voice suited VH, but I went with a mate and he walked out after 3 songs.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I won't bother posting in the "favourite albums for each year since you were born" thread as it'll just spoil what I'm doing here.  But for the record........prior to 1980 .........no real surprises.

1974: KISS:s/t
1975: KISS: Alive!
1976: KISS: Destroyer
1977: KISS: Love Gun   
1978: Van Halen : Van Halen   
1979: Van Halen :II

KISS dominated my early listening and was the only band I listened to from the age of 6 until 9 (1980-1983).  Van Halen came along and took the reins in '84
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Not a lot of diversity there, but I approve (even though Destroyer is mostly shit). :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not a lot of diversity there, but I approve (even though Destroyer is mostly shit). :biggrin:

I agree about Destroyer actually..........if not for Detroit Rock City , Shout It Out Loud and God Of Thunder I wouldn't bother.   I've done this list off the top of my head and more up TAC's alley in terms of albums that influenced me back in the day. I haven't listened to every possible candidate "in the now" as I am for the 1980's+

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I agree about Destroyer actually..........if not for Detroit Rock City , Shout It Out Loud and God Of Thunder I wouldn't bother.

Agreed on those. Those tracks are great, but the rest often deviated too far from the straight ahead rock they're best at.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Van Halen 1 & 2 are just classic albums.

Van Halen 3..............yikes

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Grapow's already been ruled out of the debut Serious Black tour due to health issues (tinnitus) , as has their drummer Thomen with back issues.  Off to a great start  :-\     Bob Katsionis will be Grapow's replacement for the tour.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Does kingshmegland have to smack a bitch?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Does kingshmegland have to smack a bitch?

Only if it's me!  :caffeine:

Wait... 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
*Rub's hands in an evil manor*

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
1974: KISS
1975: KISS
1976: KISS
1977: KISS
1978: Van Halen 
1979: Van Halen
And you made fun of me?? :lol

Regarding Destroyer, I have never liked God Of Thunder. Don't care for it at all. And Great Expectations..WTF? Thanks Ezrin. :yeahright
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Regarding Destroyer, I have never liked God Of Thunder. Don't care for it at all. And Great Expectations..WTF? Thanks Ezrin. :yeahright

I HATED God of Thunder as a kid but have grown to like it - it took a while.  I think I realised that anything half decent by Gene should be cherished. :D

As for my choices , I thought you might bring that up. ;D  I really only knew those two bands at the time , so it's in that spirit -  and come to think of it there were barely a dozen or so half decent hard rock/metal albums released in most of those years , so not much to choose from.   Van Halen and KISS didn't have much competition :P
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:30:40 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I HATED God of Thunder as a kid but have grown to like it - it took a while. I think I realised that anything half decent by Gene should be cherished. :D

As for my choices , I thought you might bring that up. ;D  I really only knew those two bands at the time , so it's in that spirit -  and come to think of it there were barely a dozen or so half decent hard rock/metal albums released in most of those years , so not much to choose from.   Van Halen and KISS didn't have much competition :P

Although it was written by Paul  :o
I like the song but I prefer the faster live version from Alive II. The faster pace suits it better for me.
I like Destroyer. It was different of course but still a good album. It's not top tier or anything.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I HATED God of Thunder as a kid but have grown to like it - it took a while.  I think I realised that anything half decent by Gene should be cherished. :D

I will pretty much always pick Paul songs over Gene; but I will say that Gene sang three of my all time favorite Kiss tunes- "God of Thunder", "War Machine" and "Not for the Innocent"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My favorite Gene sung songs:
Parasite (I know it's Ace's)
Watchin' You
Naked City
Larger Than Life
X Ray Eyes

And I know I'm in the minority on Asylum, but it really is one of my favorite Kiss albums.
Gene's songs are great, considering how un into the band he was
Trial BY Fire
Any Way You Slice It
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Watchin You would be number four for me from Gene

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Although it was written by Paul  :o
I like the song but I prefer the faster live version from Alive II. The faster pace suits it better for me.
I like Destroyer. It was different of course but still a good album. It's not top tier or anything.

I hate the Alive II versions of everything, because they're all too fast and lose the groove (especially Calling Dr Love, which never sounded good live with either Criss or Carr).
But the demo version of God of Thunder with Paul is very cool. Paul's demos always sounded so complete and album ready as is.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was doing my Gene Simmons singing to whatever came on my I-pod today on our long drive to get my wife to yell or laugh at me.  She (Pun intended) hates his voice.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was doing my Gene Simmons singing to whatever came on my I-pod today on our long drive to get my wife to yell or laugh at me.  She (Pun intended) hates his voice.

Gene's actually got a pretty good voice when he tries. A lot of his Alive II era singing isn't so good though, and my brother and I often jokingly sing the "HEY HEY HEY" bi from Love 'Em Leave 'Em. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I did 2 things to drive her nuts Blob.  I sang the over pronunciation at the end of the words Simmons & The live, I'm gargling glass Simmons to any ballads that came on from my I-pod Shuffle. :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm surprised you like Naked City as much as that TAC - I love it too but thought it might be a bit too "pop" sounding for your taste.

FWIW I just had my first listen to the Serious Black.  Very,very solid album.  Breed as usual has some great soaring choruses , but the music (like a lot of Grapow's stuff) I find is very good but pretty typical power metal and not particularly memorable.  It's missing those few absolutely brilliant tracks/melodies to take it over the top.

Still........I don't want to undersell it either.  It IS very good and I rate it 84%.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Good score for you.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Got myself some time with a "review copy" of Sweet/Lynch for today,so will be giving that a good listen  :xbones

And at first listen I rate it 80%.    I had been a bit wary (having read some poor reviews) but it's a good album.  I'd say it's more like a Sweet solo album with Lynch in the backing band - I certainly wouldn't say that Lynch is "all over it."

And at 12 tracks - as is often the case these days - it's about 4 tracks too long.  Take away the four weakest tracks and it's more an 86%.    Anyhow - I think you guys who are fans of Sweet can buy this knowing that you'll at least really like 3 or 4 tracks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 06:52:03 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
From what Ive heard from the Sweet/Lynch, it seemed a little too mid tempo........hopefully there are some heavier tracks

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You're right J - it does drag a bit by the end.  It gets its 80% from me due to 3 or 4 really top tracks but by tracks 11-12 I was getting a bit bored.

I think this may be your best bet (Recover) .........stream it at the link.

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/sweetlynch/updates/44797?utm_campaign=project9908&utm_medium=email&utm_source=pledgemusic
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:37:09 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
"recover" is a good one

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Any guitar work from Sweet do you think Brent?

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Any guitar work from Sweet do you think Brent?

Not that was obvious , but I was listening while working and really just concentrating on how much I dug the riffs and melodies etc.........having said that I'm pretty certain that Lynch handled the vast majority or all of the lead work.  There may have been some sharing on the rhythm stuff.  I'll pay more attention to that sort of detail on subsequent listens.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I didn't think Lynch would be doing much guitar work.  A shame.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm surprised you like Naked City as much as that TAC - I love it too but thought it might be a bit too "pop" sounding for your taste.
Yeah, but I do like it, and I think Tomorrow is one of Kiss' all time best songs. The only other song I like on Unmasked is Easy As It Seems. Yes, very poppy.

But overall, Unmasked is easily Kiss' worst album.
Edit: I'd still take it over Carnival Of Souls.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:32:52 PM by TAC »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Carnival of Souls blah

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Neither are particularly good albums, but Carnival of Souls still has a few ok songs that are at least in the ballpark of rock/metal. Unmasked doesn't really have anything I've ever gone out of my way to listen to.

But I think I'm splitting hairs. Both albums are KISS trying too hard to conform to what was popular and deviating too far from the hard rock they do best.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I rate Unmasked as a lower mid tier album for them - different but plenty of songs to like. A bit like Crazy Nights - I use the skip button a lot but the tracks I like I really like.

Carnival of Souls is just dire IMO and I can't believe the fuss I went through to get the bootleg at the time. (long before its official release it was a real collectors item)  I seem to remember listening to it for the first time out of the back of some guy's car stereo while we were camped out for "Farewell Tour" tickets............the farewell that's still to reach its conclusion that is. :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au