Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896509 times)

Offline Lowdz

Contagious was worse - it didn't have much in the way of decent songs. And that Hot For Teacher rip off - yuk.

Huh, interesting.  I always felt that Contagious was a definite step up and then some.  5 really strong songs (the title track, Temptation,1 Fight For Your Life, Rhythm Or Not, and Eyes of a Stranger), 3 pretty good ones (Armed and Dangerous, Bodily Harm, I'll Cry), and 2 okay ones. 

And I never heard The Kid Goes Crazy described as a "Hot For Teacher rip off."  But then again, the fact that I was able to tell exactly what song you were talking about just based on that description would tend to mean that, yeah, I guess I can hear that now that you mention it.  :lol  (But I will say that Jimmy's drum groove is a lot more complex than Alex VH's)

1. And I only just now realized that Al Pitrelli co-wrote Temptation.  Interesting.  Back then, I had no idea who he was, and I haven't looked at the songwriting credits on that album in a LONG time.

I would put Armed & Dangerous, I'll Cry For You and Fight For Your Life in the good tier, Temptation and Contagious in the ok, and Rhythm or Not and Bodily Harm in the "pile of shite" category  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn!!!  New Serious Black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcuoyGMrRuk

Grapow has been on fire lately, really looking forward to this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn!!!  New Serious Black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcuoyGMrRuk

Grapow has been on fire lately, really looking forward to this one.

Me too...........and urban says this is the taster to a much better second album .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounding good man.

The chrous heavily reminds me of something else though, I can't get it though, the key change specifically.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Has the clip been pulled?

Definitely looking forward to the Serious Black album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

It's working for me.

Decent song if a bit by the numbers. Looking forward to it.
Enjoyed the Project Arkadia album from a few weeks ago. Urban was awesome on that.

Offline gazinwales

Seriously good!
Pretty good commercial rocker, some nice double bass drums and good riffs.
The singer I have never heard before and he seems to be a little underwhelming in comparison to the majestic sounds of the music.
Reminds me of Masterplan's second album, just a bit but this is a blind buy for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

It's working for me.

Decent song if a bit by the numbers. Looking forward to it.
Enjoyed the Project Arkadia album from a few weeks ago. Urban was awesome on that.
You recommended the PA album for me, and while I loved the vocals, the music was missing something. I guess I found it kind of generic. Serious Black sounds much better to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Seriously good!
Pretty good commercial rocker, some nice double bass drums and good riffs.
The singer I have never heard before and he seems to be a little underwhelming in comparison to the majestic sounds of the music.
Reminds me of Masterplan's second album, just a bit but this is a blind buy for me.

I get a definite early Masterplan vibe from it too.

One of the comments revealed to me the song I was thinking of that the chorus reminded me of.  It's Edguy's Ministry of Saints.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't done a mag cover in a while. Seeing as wolfie and I have been talking a bit of W.A.S.P. lately..............this is June 85/

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And Powerslave Maiden, good stuff.

WASP's original lineup was so damn good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It was an awesome lineup!!

Did Chris leave because of drugs or due to the new direction of the band?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Who the hell is Belfegore?? I do not remember them at all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It was an awesome lineup!!

Did Chris leave because of drugs or due to the new direction of the band?

I have no idea actually.  Didn't Blackie and Chris have a falling out or something?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The music world is "whole" again.

Autograph has been um.."reavtivated".  :facepalm:
https://bravewords.com/news/reactivated-autograph-to-release-first-new-song-in-over-25-years-teaser-video-streaming

Decent band, but nothing that I would ever go out of my way to listen to though(unless watching Hot Tub Time Machine).  No Steve Plunkett??

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
The music world is "whole" again.

Autograph has been um.."reavtivated".  :facepalm:
https://bravewords.com/news/reactivated-autograph-to-release-first-new-song-in-over-25-years-teaser-video-streaming

Never got into them aside from Turn Up the Radio. I didn't mind this song, it's in a style I'm interested in, so I'd give the album a listen. The production was a bit raw but not bad, and I liked the song, although the chorus phrasing brought it down a bit for me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Who the hell is Belfegore?? I do not remember them at all.

When I Googled them a video came up for a single - one for the regular version and one for an Extended Club Mix.  Sounds right up your alley - I suggest you get onto it pronto  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just did my 1986 list. Only slightly deeper than 1985.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Are you sexing us up Tim?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Are you sexing us up Tim?

Growth spurt!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
And Graduation!

I'll have to look at 86 again.  Great year for music for sure.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Off the top of my head, 1986 was a pretty strong year. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
1986 was extremely strong IMO.  It was the year where I seriously started buying music though , so I'm possibly a bit biased.

With the recent discussion around Jorn and his new project I remembered some old stuff of his that I stumbled onto many years ago and thought that , before I forget, I had better get these linked for posterity  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iklrkshmm5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSatE5q77pc
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 04:12:58 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That first link is absolutely incredible.

Jorn reminds me a bit of John Farnham with that short hair too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
All I can say is WOW on both links. WTF?? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Awesome!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What's tough about making these lists for the 80's is that while Brent has this great ratings system, I feel like I need to weight albums more that I was actually listening to in a given year.
Case in point is that in 1986, WASP's Inside The Electric Circus squeezes into the Top 10 because I loved this album back then. But Slayer's Reign In Blood is relegated to Honorable Mention status because in 1986, I didn't listen to it.
But since then, Reign In Blood has been far more played than Electric Circus.
Dilemma!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone will have their own take on it but I'm basically trying to judge what were the best albums in hindsight.........what I like now , which means albums that were great back in the day but have aged terribly for me won't do so well.  Fortunately (although others may disagree) there aren't too many that I liked back in the day that seem to have aged too badly.

1986 is going to be a bit of a dilemma though.   Up to this point I don't think any of the years' Top 10's have had every album rated 90%+ and this will be the case in 1986 will numerous rating ties.   So in this case I will think back and use "most influential" factors as a bit of a tie breaker. 

Everyone will use their own criteria and that's cool.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
For those that were listening at the time, how controversial was "Turbo" in 1986? Or did it just get brushed off as a sign of the times without much issue?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Good question.

Offline Lowdz

For those that were listening at the time, how controversial was "Turbo" in 1986? Or did it just get brushed off as a sign of the times without much issue?

In the UK it was seen as a bit of a sellout. It was certainly aimed at the US market. Even at the time I preferred it to Ram It Down. THere are some great tracks on boththose albums and they would have made one awesome JP album instead of 2 ok ones.

Offline gazinwales

Turbo was highly controversial at the time.
Some were called it a sell out, a strong minority called it innovation.

I haven't heard it in a long time now, so I don't know how it has survived and whether it sounds dated?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's still a really great album IMO.