Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 900856 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New York, London Paris Munich, everybody talk about .........

JJ cover your eyes! :lol

King, isn't that M? Pop Music?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Yup. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of Mox Nix.

We're not to that point yet with me - 1986 is where I began to branch out beyond KISS and Van Halen (aged 12).  I will continue to rate things as I hear them now but in tight ones I'll now begin to give a bit more weight as to what was important to me back in the day
Totally cool. It's great to me to hear the effect music had on people and their lives at the time. Looking forward to your "first hand knowledge" lists.

Much of what I'm ranking now has "first hand knowledge" I suppose............for example I was listening to Malmsteen and Dokken by 1987 , so it's just that I wasn't listening to them in their year of release at this point.

Trying to do some research on Mox Nix- it's limited. Did they just release this one album?

Only the one album yeah.  Heavily influenced by the better bands of the time (Riot, Priest, Y&T,) - from Houston but couldn't get a deal and so they sent tapes to Europe (Kerrang etc...)and managed a deal with Axe Killer.

IMHO it's a damn side better than many released by established acts in 1985.

Try a sample

Kill Or Be Killed  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3U3G-hPDNM
Lost Sierra  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjmNO4ykcE4
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

The one band that started their setback this year was Twisted Sister. That's a band I always think what if? If they didn't change things up after Stay Hungry and stayed with the heavy sound releasing a new album every few years, what a discography of kick ass music they would have.

I still love them, but always thought they were capable of much more

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

The one band that started their setback this year was Twisted Sister. That's a band I always think what if? If they didn't change things up after Stay Hungry and stayed with the heavy sound releasing a new album every few years, what a discography of kick ass music they would have.

Dee was too busy in court with the PMRC in 1985  ;D   They were of course one of the bands I alluded to who released a poor one.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Trying to do some research on Mox Nix- it's limited. Did they just release this one album?

Only the one album yeah.  Heavily influenced by the better bands of the time (Riot, Priest, Y&T,) - from Houston but couldn't get a deal and so they sent tapes to Europe (Kerrang etc...)and managed a deal with Axe Killer.

IMHO it's a damn side better than many released by established acts in 1985.

Try a sample

Kill Or Be Killed  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3U3G-hPDNM
Lost Sierra  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjmNO4ykcE4

I would've loved that back then. Nice!

But seriously, who the hell would've signed a band called Mox Nix?  :lol

I agree 100%. Their first 3 albums are fantastic, especially You Can't Stop Rock n Roll.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Mox Nix sounds good- pure metal. They remind me a bit of early Virgin Steele

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Mox Nix sounds good- pure metal. They remind me a bit of early Virgin Steele

Yeah, good call.

I thought that they sounded like demos to Spreading The Disease.

And Brent mentioned Riot. Obviously Mox Nix had an East Coast flavor.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
You Can't Stop Rock n Roll is my favorite from TS.

The whole album is great but the opening three songs are ass kickers; especially Like a Knife in the Back

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

The whole album is great but the opening three songs are ass kickers; especially Like a Knife in the Back

The Kids Are Back :metal
That was a metal anthem to me in early high school.
Dee sounded awesome on YCSRNR. A great vocalist. Ended up being a clown, which was too bad. He had an awesome metal voice.

Offline Lowdz

The Kids Are Back :metal
That was a metal anthem to me in early high school.
Dee sounded awesome on YCSRNR. A great vocalist. Ended up being a clown, which was too bad. He had an awesome metal voice.

I wasn't much of a TS fan but Dee sounded great on the first Widowmaker album, and Desperado.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I always meant to check out Widowmaker.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I never got into Twisted Sister, although, I don't think I've heard anything outside their hits.

Didn't Reb Beach play on an album of theirs?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I never got into Twisted Sister, although, I don't think I've heard anything outside their hits.

Yeah - Love Is For Suckers.   I always had a soft spot for the title track (and maybe one other that I can't remember) but the rest is pretty average.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Under the Blade and You Can't Stop Rock n Roll are metal classics.  Stay Hungry is awesome too, but started to get a little commercial.  Come Out and Play and Love is for Suckers is pure pop metal.  Still decent though.

Their live album, Live at Hammersmith, should be mentioned with other live classic albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Under the Blade and You Can't Stop Rock n Roll are metal classics.  Stay Hungry is awesome too, but started to get a little commercial.  Come Out and Play and Love is for Suckers is pure pop metal.  Still decent though.

Their live album, Live at Hammersmith, should be mentioned with other live classic albums.

True, Live At Hammersmith is amazing.

Today is the anniversary of Phil Lynott's death 29 years ago. RIP Rocker.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
damn drugs!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Might have to have a listen to some of these.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
DO IT!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
...Y&T and Stryper are all big faves of mine but their 1985 albums I rate either their weakest or close to.

Agreed.  BUT in Y&T's defense, I completely understand why that album is the way it is.  Did they completely "sell out" and abandon musical integrity for the sake of trying to get a more commercially acceptable sound?  Yeah, they did.  But they are also a band that had at that point tried to "do it their own way" for over a decade and 6 albums while getting shafted by the music industry the entire way, whether it be Herbie Herbert booking them to second-rate gigs in the early days so he could devote more time and energy to his other pet project (some obscure band called Journey, featuring some Santana reject on guitar, apparently), to London records going under and retaining all the rights to the band's first two albums, to A&M never generating any promotion whatsoever for Earthshaker, Black Tiger, Mean Streak, or In Rock We Trust. 

By the time 1985 came around, they were a band that was always just one small step and one missed opportunity away from being huge at every turn, and they were tired of it and desperate to try anything to try to break through.  That must have been especially painful when you consider all the bands that were previous openers for Y&T that had gone on to hit it big (Van Halen, Ratt, Motley Crue, Dokken, and on and on). 

By 1985, the label basically told the band they were on their own and had revoked any support whatsoever.  The band were desperate to get anybody's ear, so when they were mixing their new soon-to-be-released live album, Open Fire, they parked the mixing van in the label's parking lot and let whatever they were working on blare through the speakers.  At those shows where the live tracks for that album were recorded, they had debuted a new tune that was still rough around the edges called "Summertime Girls."  One of the label execs heard it blaring from the van in the parking lot and said it sounded awesome, demanded that they immediately cut a studio version to go on the live album as the next single, and demanded that the next album sound like that.  And, viola!  That's how we got Down For The Count.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:30:33 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You can't really fault Y&T. They weren't the only band to start following the trend.  Contageous was just as bad.

Stryper circa 1985 was still a novelty. Christian hard rock. Interesting. And they could play too. I had the EP, but never followed it up. Seemed a bit lite for me at the time. Even listening back now to those albums, I still feel like it's missing something.

Murder By Pride and No More Hell To Pay are both great. They have really come on strong here recently.

Offline Lowdz

You can't really fault Y&T. They weren't the only band to start following the trend.  Contageous was just as bad.

Stryper circa 1985 was still a novelty. Christian hard rock. Interesting. And they could play too. I had the EP, but never followed it up. Seemed a bit lite for me at the time. Even listening back now to those albums, I still feel like it's missing something.

Murder By Pride and No More Hell To Pay are both great. They have really come on strong here recently.

Contagious was worse - it didn't have much in the way of decent songs. And that Hot For Teacher rip off - yuk. I don't mind DFTC at all though its not their best by any means. Ten is a great album though.

I've always liked Stryper and really don't care what their singing about. The songs are good and that's all that matters.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Contagious was worse - it didn't have much in the way of decent songs. And that Hot For Teacher rip off - yuk.

Huh, interesting.  I always felt that Contagious was a definite step up and then some.  5 really strong songs (the title track, Temptation,1 Fight For Your Life, Rhythm Or Not, and Eyes of a Stranger), 3 pretty good ones (Armed and Dangerous, Bodily Harm, I'll Cry), and 2 okay ones. 

And I never heard The Kid Goes Crazy described as a "Hot For Teacher rip off."  But then again, the fact that I was able to tell exactly what song you were talking about just based on that description would tend to mean that, yeah, I guess I can hear that now that you mention it.  :lol  (But I will say that Jimmy's drum groove is a lot more complex than Alex VH's)

1. And I only just now realized that Al Pitrelli co-wrote Temptation.  Interesting.  Back then, I had no idea who he was, and I haven't looked at the songwriting credits on that album in a LONG time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't mind Contagious at all really.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's probably been over 20 years since I have listened to Contagious.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

It's probably been over 20 seconds since I last thought of not smacking you upside the head.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Me neither -  I'd pretty much agree with bosk1's assessment of the songs , although I'd have Armed and Dangerous in with the strong ones and Rhythm or Not in the okay.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

It's probably been over 20 seconds since I last thought of not smacking you upside the head.

3. Respect your fellow posters.

Personal attacks, or repeated artless attempts at flaming and/or flamebaiting will not be tolerated. Violators will get a maximum of three warnings before serious measures are taken into consideration (temp and perm bans, mainly).

Strike 1! ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Whatever.  Listen to this guy:
He's not wolfking around.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I find it very surprising that Y&T weren't a bigger band.  Earthshaker, Mean Streak and Black Tiger is just a trilogy of awesome. To me, their sound almost defines the 80s decade. Their sound just screams 80s. With that being said, how they weren't better known in the 80s and are pretty much unknown today is one of rocks mysteries to me.

And I think Stryper sounds better then ever right now. They need to continue with the NMHTP sound.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
^
Agreed 100% on both points.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
You have both curried favor with bosk1 the mighty.  Thusly, he shall not smite you down at the present time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Nice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Nice.
Umm..whatever.. ;D