Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896720 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Didn't see that coming.  Not sure about Kaufman as I believe he retired from UDO with back issues or something along with other health issues.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Hopefully it's not a big setback for the band

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hopefully it's not a big setback for the band

Nah, the main driving force behind the band is still there.  I think they will be all good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Didn't see that coming.  Not sure about Kaufman as I believe he retired from UDO with back issues or something along with other health issues.
Kaufman is a pipe dream for me. I loved his drumming. Plus he's been playing guitar for the last 20 years.
Jorg Michael?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Jorg Michael?

Why not - mark one of the few remaining metal bands off his list?  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Only 5 or 6 discs to listen to before 1985 is complete - it's taken a while but the cost of being as comprehensive as I can is the extra time digging/listening.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No problem man. Looking forward to you list. As I said, I made a Top 10, and while it contains some of my favorite albums of all time, this year was not very deep for me.

I will say that my favorite album from 1985 was easily Accept's Metal Heart.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Metal Heart is an awesome album!

Living for Tonite is fantastic

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I actually have Living For Tonight in the bottom half of the album. So many great songs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Some of you may find this somewhat surprising, but at the age of 46, after being a lifelong metal fan...I have bought my first Overkill album! ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I still have none and no plans to get one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Living For Tonite is one of my favs too.

Some of you may find this somewhat surprising, but at the age of 46, after being a lifelong metal fan...I have bought my first Overkill album! ;D

I only know their later stuff, never really checked out the old stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I never got into Overkill

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I never got into Overkill

Me neither - they do have a few good songs though.  I checked out Feel The Fire for the 1985 list but it didn't make the cut (70%) for a proper rating.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Ironbound is a fantastic metal album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Samples from new John Sykes album;

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/john-sykes-audio-samples-of-upcoming-solo-album/

Sounds like it could have potential.  Some samples there that really remind me of Lizzy.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah - sounds alright.  Bits of Lizzy and Blue Murder in there - if the solos are up to scratch it could be a good one.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That one little snippet of the shred in there sounded mighty good.  Interesting cover song in there too.  :lol

Offline Lowdz

Sounding pretty good. I'll be up for this.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sykes always sounds good

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I could not detect any Thin Lizzy in those samples. The guitar sound was fantastic though, but I'm not in love with his vocals and the songs seem like a hodgepodge generic medium to hard rock.
Same issues I had with Blue Murder.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ironbound is a fantastic metal album.

Hell yeah! :metal

For whatever reason I just never got into them. My college roommate had one of their tapes back in the day. I remember one song the guy was singing about masterbating. Not into that..
As much as I love heavy metal, I have always found straight thrash somewhat boring, so I never got into bands like Overkill and even Testament back then. Actually saw Overkill open for Slayer on the Seasons tour.

Saw Bravewords list White Devil Armory as their #10 metal album for 2014. Decided to click the link to the song posted and thought it was really cool. Sampled a few other things and I bought their most recent three albums. Really enjoying them. A lot.
But they are like AC/DC in a sense that they do what they do. No surprises here. Just good consistency.
I may end up working my way back through their catalog over time.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So guys .........here we go.  A new year and so to celebrate I'll give you a new year.  We might as well keep this number thing going so expect 1986 in 2016  ;D

1985 turned out to be a much better year than I expected coming in.  I dug very deep for this one and there were plenty of albums in there that I'd either forgotten or never heard. All up I once again listened to over 100 albums for this exercise.   In the end I think 1985 is as strong as some of the earlier years , it's just that many of the strong albums were by rather obscure artists.  A number of our favourite bands produced their weakest album in 1985 and a few went a bit softer (some did that well  , others not so much) and barely scraped in as "hard rock".

In terms of events we had confirmation that DLR had parted ways with Van Halen and the release of his solo EP Crazy From The Heat.   There were reunions of Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin for Live Aid.  Not a great deal else happened that strikes me.

No problem man. Looking forward to you list. As I said, I made a Top 10, and while it contains some of my favorite albums of all time, this year was not very deep for me.

I will say that my favorite album from 1985 was easily Accept's Metal Heart.

At the risk of incurring TAC's wrath I'll note that Metal Heart didn't make my cut.  Nobody can say I have anything against Accept as they have already featured prominently in these lists.  Metal Heart actually contains 2 of my favourite Accept tunes (the title track and Living For Tonite) but the mid section of the album - say tracks 4,6,7,8 - I rate as filler.  Decent filler but filler all the same, and when the songs are anything other than top notch I begin to suffer Udo fatigue. And that makes it very hard, given the way I'm ranking albums , for Metal Heart to make the cut.

So...................

TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 1985

1 Dokken : Under Lock and Key(TIE)
1.Icon : Night Of The Crime
3 Yngwie Malmsteen: Marching Out
4 Streets: Crimes In Mind
5 Heaven: Knocking On Heavens Door
6 Jimmy Barnes : For The Working Class Man
7 Anthrax: Spreading The Disease
8 King Kobra: Ready To Strike
9 Vandenberg: Alibi
10 Bon Jovi 7800 Fahrenheit

Missed By A Bee's Dick

Kix : Midnight Dynamite
Saxon: Innocence Is No Excuse

Made The Squad But Not The Team:

Loudness :Thunder In The East
UFO :Misdemeanor
Helloise:Cosmogony
David Lee Roth:Crazy From The Heat
Lizzy Borden:Love You To Pieces
Gary Moore:Run For Cover
Tytan:Rough Justice
Shy :Brave The Storm
Joshua :Surrender
Phenomena :Phenomena
Horizon: Master of the Game
AC/DC :Fly On The Wall
Virgin Steele: Noble Savage
Hawaii: The Natives Are Restless
Coney Hatch: Friction
Ratt: Invasion of Your Privacy
Mad Max: Stormchild
Tyran Pace   :Long Live Metal
Heavy Pettin': Rock Ain't Dead
Dio : Sacred Heart
Lee Aaron: Call of the Wild
Treat   : Scratch and Bite
Mox Nix : Mox Nix
Malice :In The Beginning
Pantera :I Am The Night
Hurricane:Take What You Want
Sinner:Touch Of Sin
Tangier:Tangier

For those wondering where Magnum's On A Storyteller's Night is , I rated it too pissweak to be called "hard rock".  If I had included it , it would've been a few spots out of the top ten based on ratings.   A few other albums I rated for this were similar but I included the bands because plenty of their other material is considered hard rock and I didn't want crossover if we ever do something like this in the AOR thread.   UFO's Misdemeanor would be an example.

Fire away.....................

As before , I'll take a break and listen to some newer stuff for a few days and start on 1986 next week some time.  That could easily be a 10 way tie for number one :D

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 05:57:18 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow..no Metal Heart?? Living For Tonight IS filler on that album!

Here's my list:
1. Accept-Metal Heart
2. Waysted-The Good The Bad The Waysted
3. UFO-Misdemeanor
4. Yngwie Malmsteen-Marching Out
5. Iron Maiden-Live After Death
6. Dio-Sacred Heart
7. Kiss-Asylum
8. Gary Moore-Run For Cover
9. Aerosmith-Done With Mirrors
10. Anthrax-Spreading The Disease

The UFO and Waysted were BY FAR my most played albums during 1985. Personal favorites, if you will. I got the UK version of Misdemeanor on Import as soon as it came out. It would be another year before the watered down keyboard heavy US version was released.

I would never rate Heaven that high though. Nice to see the mention of Phenomena. Great lineup. Still have that on vinyl.

Malice is a cool band. Loved License To Kill, which would come out a couple years later. Heavy Pettin's Rock Ain't Dead absolutely sucked. So disappointing after Lettin' Loose. WTF happened to Hamie's voice? Helium?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 05:54:57 PM by TAC »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Interesting picks from this year.

The mentioned releases from Yngwie, Dokken and Anthrax are my personal favorites from those bands.

Never heard of Streets.  You recommended Night of the Crime from Icon earlier this year and I really enjoy it.  Not as good as the debut, but much better then I originally remembered it.

Missing from the list for me would be Accept- Metal Heart, Armored Saint- Delirious Nomad,  Maiden- Live after Death, Y&T- Open Fire/Down for the Count, WASP- Last Command, Stryper- Soldiers Under Command, Savatage- Power of the Night and of course, Rush- Power Windows.

Nice to see Coney Hatch and Lizzy Borden make the HM.

Those first three releases from Pantera are strange to listen to considering the sound they took in the 90s.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Missing from the list for me would be Accept- Metal Heart, Armored Saint- Delirious Nomad,  Maiden- Live after Death, Y&T- Open Fire/Down for the Count, WASP- Last Command, Stryper- Soldiers Under Command,
Some good albums listed here.
Armored Saint!! :metal That should also be on my list somewhere, but honestly, my list is based on what I listened to that year. It would be two more years until I was fully vested in Armored Saint, and I basically ignored Delirious Nomad when it was released.

Open Fire was cool, as is The Last Command.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
There are actually a few bands I'm not familiar with on the list:   Mox Nix, Treat, Mad Max, Tangier, Helloise, Horizon

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
There are actually a few bands I'm not familiar with on the list:   Mox Nix, Treat, Mad Max, Tangier, Helloise, Horizon
No kidding!

Mox Nix? WTF? :lol

Wasn't Streets Steve Walsh?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

my list is based on what I listened to that year.

We're not to that point yet with me - 1986 is where I began to branch out beyond KISS and Van Halen (aged 12).  I will continue to rate things as I hear them now but in tight ones I'll now begin to give a bit more weight as to what was important to me back in the day

No kidding!

Mox Nix? WTF? :lol

Wasn't Streets Steve Walsh?

Have you heard Mox Nix?? I told you I dug deep :)

Streets was Steve Walsh and Mike Slamer (Seventh Key, City Boy....)

Interesting picks from this year.

The mentioned releases from Yngwie, Dokken and Anthrax are my personal favorites from those bands.

Never heard of Streets.  You recommended Night of the Crime from Icon earlier this year and I really enjoy it.  Not as good as the debut, but much better then I originally remembered it.

Missing from the list for me would be Accept- Metal Heart, Armored Saint- Delirious Nomad,  Maiden- Live after Death, Y&T- Open Fire/Down for the Count, WASP- Last Command, Stryper- Soldiers Under Command, Savatage- Power of the Night and of course, Rush- Power Windows.

Nice to see Coney Hatch and Lizzy Borden make the HM.

Those first three releases from Pantera are strange to listen to considering the sound they took in the 90s.

Armored Saint, WASP, Savatage and , to a lesser extent , Y&T and Stryper are all big faves of mine but their 1985 albums I rate either their weakest or close to.  Having said that I rated them all mid-high 70's (Metal Heart too) which , to be fair , would've made my HM's if I hadn't toughened up the required score (80%) in 1984.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
An album that wasn't metal but I loved was Joe Walsh's -- The Confessor.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Never heard of Mox Nix.

We're not to that point yet with me - 1986 is where I began to branch out beyond KISS and Van Halen (aged 12).  I will continue to rate things as I hear them now but in tight ones I'll now begin to give a bit more weight as to what was important to me back in the day
Totally cool. It's great to me to hear the effect music had on people and their lives at the time. Looking forward to your "first hand knowledge" lists.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Trying to do some research on Mox Nix- it's limited. Did they just release this one album?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Tim, we should start a 45's thread and embarrass ourselves. :lol

God the crap I bought as a kid.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tim, we should start a 45's thread and embarrass ourselves. :lol

God the crap I bought as a kid.
What's wrong with Gary Numan?? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
New York, London Paris Munich, everybody talk about .........