Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 900776 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
There were some outstanding albums released in 1985

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Russ Allen and Mat Sinner song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5pZfEOmBuDQ

Pretty dark.  I'm not sure if Roland had a hand in the songwriting, but I hear a lot of his influence here.  I think I like this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I  really like that tune.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Nigel seems to be recovering from the second surgery, and the prognosis appears good.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Seems like Brent had a serious 1984 burn. I wonder how 1985 is coming along.

I will save it until Brent posts his 1985, but I will say it was a major step down from 1985 for me.  I can't even do a top 10.  I can list 8 albums, and quite a few of those would not even make a "top __" list if it were a stronger year.  And 2 "live" albums are on that list as well.   
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, I actually made a Top 10, but don't really have HMs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to hear about Nigel!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to hear about Nigel!

Definitely.  It certainly was a bit of a concern.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, hoping for a recovery.

I'd love to have a beer with Biff. :yarr
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I would bet $1000 that Biff can't go one minute without swearing

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I would bet $1000 that Biff can't go one minute without swearing

I think me and Biff would get on really well then.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

And Tim, great picks. Outstanding live Dio and top tier Saxon and Kiss

Thought I'd move this here. Perhaps we'll have band related discussions in the future in this thread, but I wanted to post a couple of things.
First, I have always been a Saxon fan. Kind of didn't pay attention after Innocence up until Lionheart. But over the last decade, they have really solidified a spot and likely cracked the TAC Top 10 Band list. They have truly never been better.
And secondly regarding Animalize, this was really the album that got me back into Kiss. Creatures came and went, as did Lick It Up. Thought both were decent, but it wasn't until Animalized that I was convinced that Kiss were indeed back. It is their heaviest album, and it was only after that that I truly appreciated their efforts on Creatures.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Perhaps we'll have band related discussions in the future in this thread

For sure...........that was my original idea (band discussions with top 10 songs etc...) - a much easier task-  but stupid me decided to do years first   ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Years is cool. Just thought I'd throw those out there.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Personally I thought Creatures was much stronger than Animalize but both are good.  My Saxon collection certainly isn't complete but they're pretty consistently good.  I wasn't a big fan of Sacrifice though - I bought it on the strength of the title track (which is immense) and thought the rest was pretty average.

As far as the years go (as I hinted at earlier) I'll probably stop somewhere around 93-95 if that doesn't upset too many people and we'll get back to bands/novelty top 10's.   As far as I'm concerned 1992 was about the end of the best years in hard rock and straight metal.  Prog metal sure took off but that's not the domain of this thread.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I would also take Creatures over Animalize. In fact, I'd probably take Asylum over it too.

And Sacrifice is awesome.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Saxon is really a band that just seems to get better with time.  Metalhead is a fantastic album.

The triple threat of Creatures, Lick it Up and Animalize is my favorite from Kiss.  The subsequent 80s albums are good, but can get a little cheesy and too much trying to fit in with the times.  But those three are just pure hard rock.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The triple threat of Creatures, Lick it Up and Animalize is my favorite from Kiss.  The subsequent 80s albums are good, but can get a little cheesy and too much trying to fit in with the times.  But those three are just pure hard rock.
This post got me thinking. It's funny how Kiss "lost their way" and then came back with these hard rock albums reestablish themselves as a serious rock band. Then, as you say, they got to cheesy, and needed to make Revenge to re assert themselves. So they actually had two instances where they came and went artistically.

But they were still very successful in the 80's and every band were following the path blazed by Bon Jovi. Paul Stanley sure was.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Revenge was an awesome release, I wish they would have stayed with that sound.  Carnival of Souls was terrible (except Jungle, which I thought was good) and Psycho Circus was only decent.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Revenge was an awesome release, I wish they would have stayed with that sound.  Carnival of Souls was terrible (except Jungle, which I thought was good) and Psycho Circus was only decent.

Yep.......it's a shame they didn't take up where Revenge left off .  It seems it was a no win though - either alt. crap like Carnival of Souls or a fairly average reunion.  I suppose we got the better of the two at the time.

I remember when getting a hold of the CoS bootleg was a huge deal for a KISS fan.  What a letdown when you managed to though  :-\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
money talks and Gene needs the cash

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Yep.......it's a shame they didn't take up where Revenge left off .  It seems it was a no win though - either alt. crap like Carnival of Souls or a fairly average reunion.  I suppose we got the better of the two at the time.

I remember when getting a hold of the CoS bootleg was a huge deal for a KISS fan.  What a letdown when you managed to though  :-\

I blame the '90s! Revenge is my favourite KISS album, so I wish they could have continued down that path too (along with every other band that got rock-blocked by that whole thing), rather than CoS/Psycho Circus, even though Psycho Circus does have some good songs on it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't done a mag cover for a while...............here we go (1992).

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

That is prob my fave Kiss line up and I saw them live before they put the make up back on and got Peter and Ace back.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That is prob my fave Kiss line up and I saw them live before they put the make up back on and got Peter and Ace back.

I saw the Revenge tour too.   The one strong memory I have is thinking that Eric Singer hit the drums as hard as anyone I'd ever seen.  And I don't normally take much notice of drummers  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

New Russ Allen and Mat Sinner song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5pZfEOmBuDQ

Pretty dark.  I'm not sure if Roland had a hand in the songwriting, but I hear a lot of his influence here.  I think I like this.

Didn't like this at all. Vocals being the shittest bit. ANd that shouldn't be the case.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I saw the Revenge tour too.   The one strong memory I have is thinking that Eric Singer hit the drums as hard as anyone I'd ever seen.  And I don't normally take much notice of drummers  ;D
The Revenge tour was my favorite from Kiss. Great show!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just got my Bob Daisley autobiog in the mail - had to buy from England even though Bob's an Aussie who lives locally.   :-\ Anyway............I can see now why it's a bit expensive.  It's a quite large/heavy hardback with high quality paper etc.......

He (or the publishers) also took the time to stick an autographed card inside the front cover for me.  Looks like a very comprehensive book with plenty of cool photos.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:13:38 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

It's a great read too, Bob did an in store a couple weeks back in Sydney, I got a signed copy, and he signed my Gary Moore Wild Frontier CD.
The book is very in depth and if you hated Ozzy/Sharon already you're gonna hate them to a whole new level after reading.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I've tried to drop a few hints in the album thread that I haven't forgotten 1985 but as per usual the deeper I delve the more albums I find that need a listen.   The good news is that I've already done 50+ albums and my research is complete as far as finding the albums - the bad news is I still have another 30 or so to listen to/rate/eliminate.  Like many here my initial thoughts toward 1985 were "Meh!" but the longer I've spent on it the more I've surprised myself at the good stuff that was released that year.  A lot of it from more obscure names which is part of the issue.......a number got a mention in my top 50 but I'm not a wizz at remembering the years sometimes.

So it'll be between Xmas and New Years by the looks.

If I don't post in here again before the 25th .............

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:19:09 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And a head banging New Year!!!

Merry Christmas!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I would also take Creatures over Animalize. In fact, I'd probably take Asylum over it too.

And Sacrifice is awesome.
I don't know how I missed this but you are out of your mind my friend. :lol  Creatures and Animalize destroy (pun intended) Asylum.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Damn classy pic in the Rock Or Bust booklet:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns