Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896521 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
All are classics and you can't go wrong with any of the 6. But I don't think I've ever seen anyone favor Diver Down over VH2.
I'll admit, this part of the ranking is largely sentimental. I didn't listen to those two bottom albums until long after getting into Van Halen. So I didn't grow up with those records like I did the others. So Diver Down has some more value to me because of that. And honestly there's quite a few songs on II I could never get into.

That said, I still really love Diver Down whenever I put it on. It's pretty brief and there are lots of covers but I don't mind. I quite enjoy the covers and I think the original songs (particularly Secrets, Hang Em High, Little Guitars) are up there with VH's best.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have never in my life heard of Leverage.
Where you been man?  Under a rock?

They were Top 10 in the Bolivian power/melodic metal charts for three straight weeks.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 05:08:18 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never heard of Leverage either. They don't sound like anything special lol

Offline Lowdz

The first album, Tides, is excellent. One of the top 10 best melodic hard rock albums of this millenium for me. That album was their greatest hits  :biggrin:
Worth a try jj.

Offline Lowdz

All are classics and you can't go wrong with any of the 6. But I don't think I've ever seen anyone favor Diver Down over VH2.
I'll admit, this part of the ranking is largely sentimental. I didn't listen to those two bottom albums until long after getting into Van Halen. So I didn't grow up with those records like I did the others. So Diver Down has some more value to me because of that. And honestly there's quite a few songs on II I could never get into.

That said, I still really love Diver Down whenever I put it on. It's pretty brief and there are lots of covers but I don't mind. I quite enjoy the covers and I think the original songs (particularly Secrets, Hang Em High, Little Guitars) are up there with VH's best.

I love Big Bad Bill and Happy trails best. And I'm not joking  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

The first album, Tides, is excellent. One of the top 10 best melodic hard rock albums of this millenium for me. That album was their greatest hits  :biggrin:
Worth a try jj.

I suspect it was you that gave me a track in my last Roulette then?  Very good tune - Dreamworld.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Why the hell does that not surprise me?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Worth a try jj.

Indeed it was. took me a good while to decide which track to use, such is the quality of the album.

I suspect it was you that gave me a track in my last Roulette then?  Very good tune - Dreamworld.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The second Leverage album was pretty good, but the last one IMO was ordinary.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Worth a try jj.

Indeed it was. took me a good while to decide which track to use, such is the quality of the album.

Using quotes:  You suck at it!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!

Oh me too! Jan Van Halen's clarinet playing is great. Such a talented family they've got there.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lowdz

Worth a try jj.

Seems I do  :lol

Using quotes:  You suck at it!

Did you see what I did there?  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'd like to see Kingshmegland try something like that.  Probably shut the entire interwebz down!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
I stumbled onto a review of 1984 the other day that listed Girl Gone Bad and House Of Pain as "filler".   No way man .........I really don't dislike anything on it but those two tracks are classics in my book.

Jump gets away with it for me because of the solo section............the guitars and the keys with the pick slides going on behind , which adds that classic VH touch.  I used to proudly tell everyone (as a young kid) that the same guy - my idol- was playing the key AND guitar solos  ::)   Same with I'll Wait.............killer solo with all the weird little EVH touches I love.

If there's one track I'm a bit sick of I think it'd be Panama..........probably just due to over exposure to it.

Girl Gone Bad and House of Pain are songs that are some of my favorite underrated Van Halen tunes. They're more edgier metal-esque than some of their catalog. I love pretty much everything classic VH did (not so much all the covers) but songs like these are cool to me cause they were a little left of center for the band.

Offline WebRaider

No, I did NOT take this picture. Got it off Google Images. But I did see this tour. Autograph opened and were practically booed off the stage.

:metal :metal :metal

Ahem.....   ;D

Offline WebRaider

This is a preliminary run-down of how I think I would rate 1984.... feel like I'm missing a few...

1. Van Halen - 1984
2. Dokken - Tooth And Nail
3. Ratt - Out Of The Cellar
4. Metallica - Ride The Lightning
5. Whitesnake - Slide It In
6. Scorpions - Love At First Sting
7. Dio - The Last In Line
8. Steve Vai - Flex-Able
9. Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force
10 W.A.S.P. - s/t

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice list Webraider.

Hey guys..........check out this PoS from PoS  ;D

Holy Diver  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDs41rgyCbw
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
WTF
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Not really a fan of that, but at least they tried to do something different with the song. I don't see the point of or the appeal of listening to a cover that's exactly the same as the original. I like it when bands take a song and make it their own instead of playing it exactly the same way the original band did.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't see the point of covering a song if you're going to play it absolutely nothing like the original. Why even bother?

I don't mind when a band changes a song to suit their style, like changing the key, arranging it to fit their specific instruments, changing up some melodies, adding some of their own signature embellishments, but if you're playing it that differently, I see it as disrespectful to the original, like it wasn't right as it is. It should still be the same song at its core. That bore zero resemblance to the original other than the lyrics. It was just worthless and pointless.

I prefer covers to be close to the originals. Just the process of a band covering a song already imparts their own character on it to make it different enough to the original. I don't think I've ever liked a cover that was that different to the original, unless it's some joke Youtube thing you watch once for a laugh, or if I didn't like the original song to begin with.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree Blob.

Not a cover per se but have you heard this?   Just the DLR scream at the start over that music cracks me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-kF4r08y5k

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
:lol I might have heard it before, I can't remember. That one's well done. I have a ton of multi-tracks sitting on my computer, including all of the VH ones. I should try something like that one time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I agree Blob.

Not a cover per se but have you heard this?   Just the DLR scream at the start over that music cracks me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-kF4r08y5k
Holy shit! :rollin
That is AWESOME!!!!! Love when the prechorus and the drums come in together.

Also, just came back from the library. Brought back Paul Stanley's book and picked up Joe Perry's.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:09:36 PM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of books today I picked up I Am Ozzy (Ebay: 99c  ;D  ) and ordered Bob Daisley's book "For Facts Sake" which is apparently a really interesting account of his time with Ozzy/Blizzard of Ozz, Rainbow, Gary Moore, Malmsteen etc......  looking forward to that one if I ever find the time.  He wrote so many of my favourite songs it's not funny...........whether he got credit or not :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 02:22:51 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I will definitely get to Daisley's book. I also read Rudy Sarzo's Off The Rails. I'm not sure I would be interested in Ozzy's. How could you trust any of it?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah I know........I felt the same until I checked the reviews around the place for Ozzy's book and was surprised to see it almost universally positive.  I'll let you know if I get my 99c worth  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd have no reason to doubt the sincerity of Ozzy's words, although I would doubt his ability to even remember what he had for breakfast today, let alone what was happening at the time. :lol

If you want to read some good fiction, go read Hulk Hogan or Ace Frehley's bio's.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well that's just it. How the hell is Ozzy going to remember anything. Nothing against Sharon, but this book is going to be what Sharon wants the reader to know.

I have Ace Frehley's. I was severely disappointed with it. You could really tell that it was written by the coauthor. There were passages where you could know that Ace doesn't talk like that.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So it made sense , huh?

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
 :lol

Read Paul's recently and Ace's.  My cousin loved Rudy Sarzo's.  I haven't got to it yet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So it made sense , huh?
Exactly!

Speaking of Daisley:
https://bravewords.com/news/former-ozzy-osbourne-bassist-bob-daisley-slams-classic-rocks-roll-of-honour-awards-insulting-and-disrespectful-to-randy-rhoads-they-should-be-ashamed

Going to listen to the interview now.

For Fact's Sake is finally listed on Amazon, but at $40. Not buying it until the price comes down.

Another Edit: The above Daisley interview is AWESOME!!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:07:52 AM by TAC »

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
my top 11 for 1984 because I couldn't narrow it down any further

1   Mercyful Fate  Don't Break the Oath
2   Metal Church   Metal Church'
3   Anthrax   Fist Full of Metal
4   Yngwie     Rising Force
5    Metallica Ride the Lightning
6   Wasp     Wasp
7   Fates Warning   Night on Brocken
8   Venom    At war with Satan
9  Queensryche   Warning
10  Scorpions   Love at First Sting
11   Dio   Last in Line 

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
THAT'S a metal list, bro! :metal

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Never really into Hard Rock as I got older I can appreciate some of it but when making the list I was thinking about what I listened at that time

Honestly most of those I still listen too

Don't Break the Oath and Metal Church S/T would probably both fall in my top 10 albums of all time
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.