Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896465 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tates-operation-mindcrime-signs-with-frontiers-music-srl/

Tate's band have been signed to Frontiers (okay......) and given "creative freedom"  :omg:

Good lord.  I hope Tolkki isn't involved.  That would surely bring armageddon.

Don't two negatives make a positive though?  Tate + Tolkki could be a masterpiece!!

:footloose:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

Don't two negatives make a positive though?  Tate + Tolkki could be a masterpiece!!

:footloose:

That's what I was thinking  :hat
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Can't remember which thread we've been posting Sweet/Lynch stuff but here's a new video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmmolV-B7xE

This album is sounding wonderful.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Not bad. I'll check that out when it's available.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's actually one of my most anticipated upcoming releases.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Mark your diary Paul - new UDO due January 23rd.

One more album to listen to for 1984 and then done. Phew!!  And then a few very badly needed days off from the 80's before I think about 1985.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Can't remember which thread we've been posting Sweet/Lynch stuff but here's a new video;

There is a thread for it, but that's okay. 

Yeah, I am liking the sound of this so far.  I am guessing George is doing all the guitars on the album, but I am holding out hope that there is some blistering double guitar stuff between him and Michael somewhere on the album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow. I gotta say, the last two songs released are really good. I may actually go for this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Get there eventually I did

As has been mentioned 1984 was an extremely strong year and also a year where hair metal began to really make its presence felt - as it will in my lists from here.  Briefly a few events for the year:

- Van Halen release their last album with DLR
- Rick Allen loses his arm in a car accident
- Spinal Tap release their "classic" debut and of course album cover of the year right there

-  Vince Neil proves what a tool he is by getting blind drunk, getting in the driver's seat and killing Razzle (Hanoi Rocks drummer) in the resultant prang

- Deep Purple re-form for Perfect Strangers

Helix almost got No 1 in my top 10 just for this video alone , which is easily music vid of the year :zydar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3TGZvg8_FI

The list is below - one thing that's pretty clear to me is that all the listening that I've done has resulted in a very different (and much,much larger) list than if I'd just done it from memory.   And once again a couple of bands that I was never much of a fan of have made it - not Iron Maiden in this one though.

TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 1984  - I've tried to avoid ties where I can but it was too hard here......

1. Van Halen : 1984(TIE)
1. Yngwie Malmsteen : Rising Force(TIE)
3. W.A.S.P.:s/t
4. Dokken : Tooth And Nail
5: Deep Purple: Perfect Strangers
6. Ratt: Out Of The Cellar
7 Great White: s/t
8. Santers: Guitar Alley
9. Whitesnake: Slide It In (US version)
10 Scorpions: Love At First Sting

I haven't made a habit of discussing specific rankings but here it might help to provide some context as to the strength of the year (IMO).   I don't consider myself to be an easy marker and I had the lowest ranked album in the Top 10 at 89%.     

Right below them at 88% in the "bee's dick list" (TM)  (and on any given day I may have rated these 89%.......I'd be more than happy to see them in the Top 10) we have the following:

Bon Jovi: s/t
Europe: Wings Of TOmorrow
Y&T: In Rock We Trust
Triumph: Thunder Seven
Helix: Walkin The Razor's Edge

If I had kept the HM cutoff at 75% it would've resulted in 40+ ..............as it is there's still plenty.  All of these rated 80%+ and are very deserving of a mention

Black'n'Blue   s/t   
Armored Saint   March Of The Saint   
The Rods   Let Them Eat Metal   
Lee Aaron   Metal Queen   
Manowar   Hail To England   
Icon   Icon   
Judas Priest   Defenders of the Faith   
Twisted Sister   Stay Hungry   
Queensryche   The Warning   
Dio    The Last In Line   
Autograph   Sign In Please   
Metallica   Ride The Lightning   
Grim Reaper   See You In Hell   
Sammy Hagar    VOA   
Keel   Lay Down The Law   
Krokus   The Blitz   
Gary Moore   We Want Moore   
Waysted   Waysted EP   
TKO   In Your Face   
Stone Fury   Burns Like A Star   
Q5   Steel The Light   
Pretty Maids   Red Hot and Heavy   
Samson   Don't Get Mad, Get Even   

Fire away..........
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Alrighty then.

Wow, you have WASP rated pretty high. I actually listened to it last night.
I remember a friend of mine gave me a 90 minut tape with March Of The Saint on one side, and WASP on the other. Thought both had really unique singers and to me, they'll always be sister albums. But a few years later I would become a huge Armored Saint fan, so while I probably listened to WASP more in 1984, AS ultimately won out for me.

I was definitely into Helix back then. Not a great band, but they had some pretty good music. Sweet spot kind of stuff. I was with them for their first three albums. One of my best friends actually corresponded with the bass player I think, receiving a hand written note.

Glad you listed Rising Force. It's one of two albums you have that is also on my list. The "coming out" of Yngwie was a huge thing. I had been following him through Steeler and Alcatrazz, but here is was doing HIS music. I was amazed with it. Far Beyond The Sun might be my all time favorite instrumental ever.

Ironically, I was not a fan of Powerslave when it came out. The single, 2 Minutes used an old recycled main riff and I thought it was metal by numbers. I thought Rime was long just for the sake of being long. They were so into promoting that they wrote a long song. Whoopee. I thought everything about it was cliched and I was really dissapointed with it. Had it not been for Accept opening the following year, I might've missed the World Slavery tour. :omg:

I could go on and on..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
With the Maiden riff are you referring to one of theirs or this one..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2HDpHBR_ag

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Kwyjibo

I would put Powerslave at the top or maybe second after 1984.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
1984 is really strong. Once you get past the crap that is Jump, Panama, and I'll Wait, you have  5 damn good and heavy songs. I guess Panama is ok but it's way overplayed for me. Honestly I was never really crazy about it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I stumbled onto a review of 1984 the other day that listed Girl Gone Bad and House Of Pain as "filler".   No way man .........I really don't dislike anything on it but those two tracks are classics in my book.

Jump gets away with it for me because of the solo section............the guitars and the keys with the pick slides going on behind , which adds that classic VH touch.  I used to proudly tell everyone (as a young kid) that the same guy - my idol- was playing the key AND guitar solos  ::)   Same with I'll Wait.............killer solo with all the weird little EVH touches I love.

If there's one track I'm a bit sick of I think it'd be Panama..........probably just due to over exposure to it.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I stumbled onto a review of 1984 the other day that listed Girl Gone Bad and House Of Pain as "filler".   No way man .........
House Of Pain is AWESOME!!!

That same reviewer :lol would probably try and tell you that The Full Bug was filler on Diver Down!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Compared to Fair Warning 1984 is not as good.  It's an average album for VH.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
84 has a lot of classics.

Priest, Maiden, Dio, WASP, Armored Saint, Spinal Tap, QR would lead the pack for me.

We've talked about Icon before. Their debut is straight up 80s metal at its best.

I had heard a cover of Q5 from a band called Powergod; that's a cool song, never heard the full album though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Compared to Fair Warning 1984 is not as good.  It's an average album for VH.

I remember sleeping at my grandmother's house New Year's Eve because at midnight on 1/1/84, MTV was world premiering the new Van Halen video. (She lived in the city and had cable/we lived in the boonies and did not).
Then I watched the Jump video and was disgusted! :lol

Fair Warning
Van Halen
Women And Children First
Van Halen II
Diver Down

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Damn.  Almost the same for me.  Just flip 1984 with VHII and it's exact.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kwyjibo

VH ranking, here goes:

Fair Warning
1984/Van Halen
Women and Children First
Van Halen II
Diver Down

And yes, Girls gone bad is kinda filler, at least for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No, I did NOT take this picture. Got it off Google Images. But I did see this tour. Autograph opened and were practically booed off the stage.

:metal :metal :metal

Offline Lowdz

1984 is really strong. Once you get past the crap that is Jump, Panama, and I'll Wait, you have  5 damn good and heavy songs. I guess Panama is ok but it's way overplayed for me. Honestly I was never really crazy about it.

They are the ones I like best. It's a good album but again short and some filler (1984, Drop Dead Legs - ok I guess, and the last 2)

Can't argue with the list Brent, there's only 3 albums in the whole post I don't rate - not a big Triumph fan - never heard them back in the day and only gave them ago recently. I like what I've heard but not heard this album.

I'd do some reordering and ManOwaR's Sign Of The Hammer was also released this year wasn't it? At least as good as HTE.
There's several Lowdz top 50 albums this year - Survivor's Vital Signs probably just makes the definition. Q5 is a classic 80s metal album, Last In Line, Gary Moore's We Want Moore.

Several albums were very close. Perfect Strangers (I thought this one was in my top 50... should have been), Wings Of Tomorrow, The Queensryche and Priest albums, WASP, Y&T and I do like that Vow Wow album I mentioned earlier, and the TKO.

A great year.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

They are the ones I like best.
Of course they are! ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

There is a thread for it, but that's okay. 

Yeah, I am liking the sound of this so far.  I am guessing George is doing all the guitars on the album, but I am holding out hope that there is some blistering double guitar stuff between him and Michael somewhere on the album.

Yeah I totally forgot there was a thead.  I'm hoping for some duel stuff too.  What I've heard so far from Michael Sweet on the guitar has been fantastic.

1984 for me has Maiden, WASP, Dio, Dokken, Priest, Malmsteen, Mercyful Fate, Gary Moore, Queensryche, Rush, Savatage etc. Awesome year.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Jump and Panama are still the best of the album foo.
House of Pain is filler. Can't stand that crap. That and Top Jimmy are the only duds on the album.

Last in Line and Ride the Lightning should have made top 10, and I'm not even that big on RTL.

Also overall UK Slide It In > US Slide It In, although the US version has a far superior sounding mix. But it's missing a lot of the vocal harmonies, the original basslines were better, and the extra woozling sounds silly some of the time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I see Leverage have just released a Greatest Hits.............seriously?  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
1984 is an amazing album. Yes it's drenched in keyboards, but the songwriting is really great and whenever Eddie busts out his guitar he delivers big time. Seriously, some of his best guitar work is on this album. House of Pain is the only song I don't like, but everything else is great. I haven't gotten tired of Jump or Panama and I really love Drop Dead Legs and I'll Wait.

I'd probably rank 'em like this:
1: Fair Warning
2: 1984
3: Van Halen
4: Diver Down (controversial pick?)
5: Van Halen II
6: Women and Children First

All 6 are classic though, legendary album run.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
All are classics and you can't go wrong with any of the 6. But I don't think I've ever seen anyone favor Diver Down over VH2.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

What the fuck, they have three albums and no hits!? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
But I don't think I've ever seen anyone favor Diver Down over VH2.
Or anything for that matter. ;D

I see a lot of you guys list Ratt-Out OF The Cellar. I bought it as well. There was a lot of buzz around them at the time. And Round And Round was such a great song, but I realized very quickly that getting through a whole album with Stephen Pearcy "singing" was going to be a challenge. He sucks! I remember having a Circus magazine in high school, and this girl looks at a pic of him and goes, "He's so fine". I'm thinking are we looking at the same person??

Brent, I know you're going to take a brief break from the 80's, but looking ahead to 1985, yes, it was considerably weaker. Making a Top 10 was easy, and honestly, It was tough to scrape up some Hnorable Mentions.

Offline Lowdz

I love the band but that will be one short album...  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

1984 is an amazing album. Yes it's drenched in keyboards, but the songwriting is really great and whenever Eddie busts out his guitar he delivers big time. Seriously, some of his best guitar work is on this album. House of Pain is the only song I don't like, but everything else is great. I haven't gotten tired of Jump or Panama and I really love Drop Dead Legs and I'll Wait.

I'd probably rank 'em like this:
1: Fair Warning
2: 1984
3: Van Halen
4: Diver Down (controversial pick?)
5: Van Halen II
6: Women and Children First

All 6 are classic though, legendary album run.

I think I agree completely with this ranking.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have never in my life heard of Leverage.