Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896572 times)

Offline Lowdz

Just listening to an awesome album from this year - Vow Wow's Beat Of Metal Motion.  :metal
AAdd that to the list Brent  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
As is now apparent I did a quick cut/paste from the most recent part of my spreadsheet and there's a couple of errors......can always rely on you mob to pull me up though  :P  :D

Oh, and no need to list Honeymoon Suite or Fee Waybill. :D

I also note that, unless I missed it, there was a Whitesnake album that year that DEFINITELY needs to be on the list as well.

Worthy of listing, but not of ranking. I was very disappointed with Slide It In. Nothing is near as strong as Slow n Easy. Guilty Of Love is great though.

As far as the Honeymoon Suite and Fee Waybill go..........

And here's some albums I still need to listen to and rate in coming days ( a couple are likely more AOR and won't make it) :

and the Whitesnake is in the same basket as the WASP - I am familiar enough with it that I didn't even bother having it in the spreadsheet.  It'll be in there ..................the Sykes version.

Just listening to an awesome album from this year - Vow Wow's Beat Of Metal Motion.  :metal
AAdd that to the list Brent  :biggrin:

No  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'm just the opposite.  Back then, it was a staple.  Now...eh.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Are you talking about Slide It In?

Speaking of albums that did not age well..Stone Fury. Liked it a lot back in the day. Now, not so much.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Are you talking about Slide It In?

Yeah, sorry.  I was responding to you a few posts back and got interrupted.  When I typed the response, yours was the last post, so no need to quote.  Buy the time I hit the "post" button, the other posts were there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think even as a kid, song titles like Slide It In and Spit It Out were offputting. The album doesn't suck. I just remember being disappointed with it.
At the time, they just seemed caught between the bluesy classic rock they were know for, and what was going on at the time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll check out the Jack Starr too TAC..........not a big fan of the RF Riot albums relatively speaking but that wasn't because of his voice - just didn't think the songs were up there with Riot's best.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'll check out the Jack Starr too TAC..........not a big fan of the RF Riot albums relatively speaking but that wasn't because of his voice - just didn't think the songs were up there with Riot's best.

No they are definitely not. For some reason after Guy left, the songs really suffered. Born In America is pretty good though. I wish it had Restless Breed's production.

The Jack Starr album has some balls n chunk guitar playing. I loved it. Again, it was special to me. There's tons of more deservedly popular albums out that year though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I also note that, unless I missed it, there was a Whitesnake album that year that DEFINITELY needs to be on the list as well.

Worthy of listing, but not of ranking. I was very disappointed with Slide It In. Nothing is near as strong as Slow n Easy. Guilty Of Love is great though.

Really?  That was my gateway Whitesnake album.  I thought it was great.

The first Whitesnake album I bought was the double live Live In The Heart Of The City. About that time, Slow An Easy came out as a single. Such a great tune. I bought Slide It In, and honestly didn't care for it, save for a couple of tunes.

You leave my Honeymoon Suite alone Tim. :lol

They belong in another thread with these:
-Prince - Purple Rain
-The Cars - Heartbeat City

No way Jose! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Empires of Eden (Stu Marshall) song with Ralf Scheepers.  Pretty fucking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo58mGlrCfM
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Whitesnake's Slide It In isn't a bad album, but one I don't really care for. For me it's the transition between the bluesier stuff and the heavy songs but it doesn't really deliver in each category.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New Empires of Eden (Stu Marshall) song with Ralf Scheepers.  Pretty fucking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo58mGlrCfM

Not doing much for me ..........by the numbers power metal to my ears.  But then I wasn't as into Primal Fear's latest as everyone else  :angel:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:36:53 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I couldn't even make it all the way through the song. By-the-numbers is right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Really strong year by my tastes.  Here is what my top 10 would probably look like:

1.  Y&T - In Rock We Trust:  Bummer it took the band this long to get a real "hit" and any sort of widespread acclaim.  It is hard for me to pick songs from this album that rise to the level of some of their real classics like Forever, Mean Streak, or Rescue Me, but this is easily their most consistent album to date.  Not a bad track on this entire album.
2.  Scorpions - Love At First Sting:  Blackout and LAFS were where the band really hit full stride in terms of perfectly blending that hard rock edge with commercial accessibility.  Rock You Like A Hurricane's guitar solo is one that I still consider top 10 all time.
3.  Queensryche - The Warning:  I was not into Queensryche at the time.  It was not until late in the Mindcrime era that I discovered them.  Even then, it took me a long time to get into The Warning.  But there is undoubtedly a lot of quality music on this album.
4.  Iron Maiden - Power Slave:  I was not into Maiden at the time, but have recently discovered them.  I actually find this album weak as a whole, due to the filler in the middle.  But on the strength of the first two songs and the last two alone, it deserves high marks.
5.  Whitesnake - Slide It In:  I wouldn't rank it nearly so high if not for the nostalgia and how much I played it back in the day.  Yeah, the songs were juvenile, but I just loved their sound.  And seeing them on this tour sandwiched between Kick Axe and Quiet Riot with Sykes on guitar cemented it.
6.  Kick Axe - Vices:  A little known gem that I played the heck out of. 
7.  Quiet Riot - Condition Critical:  This was a surprisingly fun album.  The songs translated well to a live setting, which I think took it up a few notches for me.
8.  Dio - Last In Line:  Last In Line and We Rock make this album.  I didn't really care for the rest.  ...other than Egypt.  Was that on the original release?  I don't remember it from that era and remember being really surprised when I heard it MANY years later.  Was it an extra track on a re-release or something, or did I just somehow overlook it at the time?  Not sure.
9.  Ratt - Out of the Cellar:  A few good songs, and some filler.  But the good songs were really good.
10.  Bon Jovi - s/t:  Yeah, I liked it.  Shut up.

Just missed the cut (in no particular order):
-Stryper:  Some good songs, but I prefer live versions from much later years.  The songwriting and playing chops were there.  But the vocals dragged some of their early songs down just a bit by making the songs overall sound softer.  Michael Sweet has even recently acknowledged that he much prefers his current voice to how he used his voice back then because he still has most of his range, but has been able to add more grit and edge, whereas his voice sounded more soft and feminine back then.  I agree.
-Van Halen:  Yeah, 1984 was such a classic, iconic album.  But I am just SO tired of Van Halen and have been for years.  Plus, I think the Sammy era saw a marked jump up in quality overall.
-Dokken:  These guys always seemed to consistently crank out a few really good songs every album.  This one is no exception.
-Warlock:  I only just got into the band when Triumph and Agony was released, so this one wasn't even on my radar at the time.  But it has some gems.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nothing wrong with Bon Jovi being listed. It's a solid debut. They were great live on that tour. Impressed me do much I bought the tape the next day.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yikes...............you're right about Vertical Smiles TAC.   Just need to make sure it's not a Chris Isaak album in disguise.  Bronz was pissweak too...much more so than I remember - filed away under pompy AOR fluff. :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Yikes...............you're right about Vertical Smiles TAC.   Just need to make sure it's not a Chris Isaak album in disguise.  Bronz was pissweak too...much more so than I remember - filed away under pompy AOR fluff. :)

Never heard Bronz back in the day. Checking them out I can see why.  Not up to much.

Bosk1 - my top 10 will be very different to yours. I see 4-5 of them having a chance to make it. And you don't seem that impressed with the ones you've chosen  :lol

Nothing wrong with that Bon Jovi, it was a good start. They could only dream of making an album as good and as full of energy these days (pun intended  :biggrin:)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Bosk1 - my top 10 will be very different to yours. I see 4-5 of them having a chance to make it. And you don't seem that impressed with the ones you've chosen  :lol

It's not that.  It's just that many of them have not aged well because my tastes have changed a lot in the last 30 years.  If I ranked them in terms of "most likely to get repeat spins within any reasonable span of time right now," my list would like something like:

1.  Maiden
2.  Queensryche
3.  Y&T
4.  Stryper
5.  Scorpions
6.  Kick Axe (if I still had a copy)
eh...the rest might get a spin a year.

Of the top 10, I loved all of them back in the day, save the two that I discovered and learned to love much later (Queensryche and Maiden).  But they are what they are, and immature songs full lyrics about partying and sexual innuendo aren't going to be high up on my current play list.

Offline Lowdz

It's not that.  It's just that many of them have not aged well because my tastes have changed a lot in the last 30 years.  If I ranked them in terms of "most likely to get repeat spins within any reasonable span of time right now," my list would like something like:

1.  Maiden
2.  Queensryche
3.  Y&T
4.  Stryper
5.  Scorpions
6.  Kick Axe (if I still had a copy)
eh...the rest might get a spin a year.

Of the top 10, I loved all of them back in the day, save the two that I discovered and learned to love much later (Queensryche and Maiden). But they are what they are, and immature songs full lyrics about partying and sexual innuendo aren't going to be high up on my current play list.

I understand what you're saying and those lyrics are a lifetime away from my experience these days but I haven't lost the love of those albums at all. In fact it's much harder for new music to make that much of an impact. They were great days and those songs have history that the new ones can't hope to replicate.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I understand what you're saying and those lyrics are a lifetime away from my experience these days but I haven't lost the love of those albums at all. In fact it's much harder for new music to make that much of an impact. They were great days and those songs have history that the new ones can't hope to replicate.

Amen, brother!

Another great story from 1984 was the Deep Purple Reunion. I honestly never thought Perfect Strangers was that great, but them getting back together was monumental. Saw them in March '85 and was out of mind happy!

Did anyone else have this gem from 1984?. Paul DiAnno goes AOR! Even came with wardrobe endorsements!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:54:07 PM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks for your patience guys ...........almost there.  I'm trying to make this as authentic as possible and so making you wait a year between posts only seems right.

I've never been a huge Purple fan but as you'll see I surprised myself with how much I liked Perfect Strangers this time around.  I tend to like the favourites from my childhood just as much now , but with some other albums my tastes have changed quite a bit.

I've never seen that Dianno album - looks "interesting"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:02:00 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've never seen that Dianno album - looks "interesting"

It's Paul Dianno as you've never heard him before. And never since! :lol

Anyway, take your time Brent. Since Bosk posted his list, here's mine. I wittled the HMs to 5.

1. Queensryche- Warning
2. Dio- The Last In Line
3. Saxon- Crusader
4. Iron Maiden-Powerslave
5. Yngwie Malmsteen- Rising Force
6. Waysted-EP
7. Metallica- Ride The Lightning
8. Jack Star- Out Of The Darkness
9. Armored Saint-March Of The Saint
10.Scorpions- Love At First Sting

Honorable Mentions:
Judas Priest- Defenders Of The Faith
Kiss- Animalize
Van Halen- 1984
Gary Moore- We Want Moore
Twisted Sister- Stay Hungry

1.  Y&T - In Rock We Trust:    It is hard for me to pick songs from this album that rise to the level of some of their real classics like Forever, Mean Streak, or Rescue Me,
Oh, I would definitely put Keep On Runnin' up with those classics.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:12:30 PM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tates-operation-mindcrime-signs-with-frontiers-music-srl/

Tate's band have been signed to Frontiers (okay......) and given "creative freedom"  :omg:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tates-operation-mindcrime-signs-with-frontiers-music-srl/

Tate's band have been signed to Frontiers (okay......) and given "creative freedom"  :omg:

Umm..we're trying to have a serious conversation in this thread! ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Who's "we"?  ;D  I thought it fit in well with your Dianno  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Well, it's Geoff Tate, and it's being marketed as a trilogy.  Of course some label was going to pick it up.  My prediction:  It will be awful, but the first album will sell modestly well just because of the curiosity factor, the second will tank, and the third will not be noticed by anyone but the diehard Tate fans.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
7. Metallica- Ride The Lightning

Crap!  How did I forget this?  Okay, put this at #2 and slide everything else down a spot.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Who's "we"?  ;D  I thought it fit in well with your Dianno  ;D

I'd still take Paul DiAnno in Parachute Pants. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Well, it's Geoff Tate, and it's being marketed as a trilogy.  Of course some label was going to pick it up.

yes..............but Frontiers don't normally operate like that ("creative freedom") , especially with someone as volatile as Tate.  They're normally very insistent that their artists focus on/return to a style that fits their demographic.   Perhaps Tate is bullshitting - now there'd be a surprise. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never heard about that Dianno either. Is it decent at least?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've never heard about that Dianno either. Is it decent at least?
NOT. AT. All.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jH_3RIZGOk

:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't .......know...........what.......to....think..........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeesh

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Actually I did like this track:
Tales Of The Unexpected
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahiq7OhR3GM

Love the comment below the clip:
"This shit sucked then and it still sucks now...what the fuck was he thinking?"
 :metal

Yeesh

:lol
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:14:55 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Good lord.  I hope Tolkki isn't involved.  That would surely bring armageddon.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.